The Running Thread - 2021

Had the City of Pittsburgh 10k this morning. New PR at 38:33. I had a 5k PR too, with 19:15 in the second half of the race. In the 10+ years I've done this race, this was about the best weather for it (54 at the start). Largest race I've done in awhile with 3K+ finishers, felt somewhat normal. Good atmosphere and enjoyable race.

Was that the Great Race or something different? I ran the Great Race twice and it is one of the better non-marahton city races I've done. It is also a great PR course.

Raced no races, but I managed a 5/13 Dopey training b2b in the still-extreme heat down here in FL, AKA Surface of the Freaking Sun, and didn't die, so I'll call it a win. A pretty miserable win, but a win. Sadly, the local forecast shows no end to the heat for the next 10 days...

That is such a bummer that the cold front didn’t reach you!!! Temps were glorious this morning in the Orlando area. It was freaking gross by lunch again though. I fed lunch to my horses inside the barn and felt like I needed another shower.

Ran a 15 miler at marathon pace. It ended a 61 mile week that started with a 22 miler last Sunday. I have not run 61 miles in a 7 day window in more than a decade. Changing to run/walk seems to have made all things possible again.

Everyone have a great weekend. Roll Tide!

@BuckeyeBama , did you download the BAA Racing App for the virtual race yet? I just did, and it seems to have connected properly to my virtual race entry. However, you're supposed to be able to use the app to run a practice race at any time, and I can't see how to do that. The video about the app shows this nice green "go" button for a practice race, but for me that area of the app is blank. I was wondering if you could do it.

Was that the Great Race or something different? I ran the Great Race twice and it is one of the better non-marahton city races I've done. It is also a great PR course.
Yep, that was it. The way it's set up, it's a fast course for a PR. Outside of miles 1 and 5, you can push the rest real good.

@avondale i am hoping they updated the app since i used it in 2020. It was terrible. I ended up just submitting my time via garmin as i could not get the app to work while running. i did also miss out on the verbal queues they were giving.

@avondale i am hoping they updated the app since i used it in 2020. It was terrible. I ended up just submitting my time via garmin as i could not get the app to work while running. i did also miss out on the verbal queues they were giving.

Oh, we can submit via Garmin? I have a Garmin Venu, so I could just do that. I also have my Garmin linked to Strava, so that is a possibility - I just really don't go to Strava. It wasn't clear to me if it was possible to use other apps. And who knows what is different from last year.

That is such a bummer that the cold front didn’t reach you!!! Temps were glorious this morning in the Orlando area. It was freaking gross by lunch again though. I fed lunch to my horses inside the barn and felt like I needed another shower.
I think it finally made it here this morning - it was a glorious 72 at 6am!!! I had chills. :) But yeah - it's a delightful 90 now...

Does anyone have any recommendation for an easy restaurant to eat at in Boston the night before the marathon and afterwards - maybe around Copley place? Can I risk taking the T to the North End and winging it? I just read you had to make reservations months in advance and now I'm panicking.

Does anyone have any recommendation for an easy restaurant to eat at in Boston the night before the marathon and afterwards - maybe around Copley place? Can I risk taking the T to the North End and winging it? I just read you had to make reservations months in advance and now I'm panicking.

You could try Eataly at the Pru. Yes, it's a chain, but it's pretty decent. Plus, you could get takeout if you wanted. Also, checkout Eater Boston. They have several heat maps for Italian (and seem to like a couple of places Mida and Anchovies that are within walking distance of Copley Place.

ETA: When I travel solo to races, I like to sit at the restaurant bar and eat. It's a great way to avoid the whole "no reservations" thing, and it's fun to watch the bar staff work.

Last edited:
You could try Eataly at the Pru. Yes, it's a chain, but it's pretty decent. Plus, you could get takeout if you wanted. Also, checkout Eater Boston. They have several heat maps for Italian (and seem to like a couple of places Mida and Anchovies that are within walking distance of Copley Place.

ETA: When I travel solo to races, I like to sit at the restaurant bar and eat. It's a great way to avoid the whole "no reservations" thing, and it's fun to watch the bar staff work.

Thanks for the recs!

DH loves Eataly and we haven't been able to go since pre-COVID! I'll be taking the kiddos (depending on cases) since it'll be the only time they'll see such a production.

@BuckeyeBama , did you download the BAA Racing App for the virtual race yet? I just did, and it seems to have connected properly to my virtual race entry. However, you're supposed to be able to use the app to run a practice race at any time, and I can't see how to do that. The video about the app shows this nice green "go" button for a practice race, but for me that area of the app is blank. I was wondering if you could do it.
Yes - I downloaded it the day it was available so I would have time to play with it. I have done 2 practice runs with it, including my 22 miler 10 days ago.

If you launch the app go to the "Tracker" screen (has 'My Claimed Profile" at the top). The option to go to that screen is at the bottom of the app page (along with Map, Leaders, Info an Messages). Once on the Tracker screen, Tap on the area with your claimed profile at the top (should have your name, Marathon and Real-Time Remote Racing. When you tap on that it should take you to the screen with the green start button for the Practice Race.

Last edited:
Oh, we can submit via Garmin? I have a Garmin Venu, so I could just do that. I also have my Garmin linked to Strava, so that is a possibility - I just really don't go to Strava. It wasn't clear to me if it was possible to use other apps. And who knows what is different from last year.
They are saying that we will be able to submit it in almost any way that we wish, and they keep saying that they will provide those instructions, but they have not done so yet. I am preparing for all options. I will use the app and my Garmin for the race.

4 days until Wineglass. I did well in weeks 1 and 2 of taper. Now I'm suffering all its effects. Monday my throat felt scratchy and I had a headache (both are now gone). Yesterday, my right knee cap decides it wants to hurt. Last night, I had two weird marathon dreams (1. I was in line for the bathroom and they kept letting people go in front of me. I was 5 minutes late to the race and didn't get to go to the bathroom and the race was a half mile around someone's house with terrible markings. 2. The race was on a track - I guess we were going to do...105 laps?). Kneecap still felt weird this morning but didn't notice it after 2 miles of my run.

Yes - I downloaded it the day it was available so I would have time to play with it. I have done 2 practice runs with it, including my 22 miler 10 days ago.

If you launch the app go to the "Tracker" screen (has 'My Claimed Profile" at the top). The option to go to that screen is at the bottom of the app page (along with Map, Leaders, Info an Messages). Once on the Tracker screen, Tap on the area with your claimed profile at the top (should have your name, Marathon and Real-Time Remote Racing. When you tap on that it should take you to the screen with the green start button for the Practice Race.

View attachment 608467

View attachment 608468

I had gone to that screen and instead of the "practice race" button and other text, that section was just blank gray (under "event map/my map"). However, when I went to that place in the app just now, it does have the practice race button. Maybe I needed to let it sit and update something? Who knows. Thanks for the help!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter