• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Running Thread - 2020

My plans changed quite often. Originally planned on doing the virtual Boston on Sat Sep 12 in Ohio. The plan was to drive to Ohio yesterday. DH and I had a discussion and a new plan was finalized. Decided not to drive to Ohio yesterday and instead will drive to Ohio either Sep 11 or 12. My mother in law is in hospice care and her time is close. We have spent all summer driving back and forth. That meant no virtual on Sep 11. I decided on Friday night that Monday (today) would be the virtual day.

we had really good weather for atlanta. At 6:15 it was 62 with a dew of 57 and a breeze. Sun would not be up till 7. I really never noticed the temps. It was pleasant and by mile 20 when it might have been hot, I was too miserable to tell :) .

I really had only two goals, finish in under 5 hours, just because I wanted to be done and not feel like death the rest of the day. First goal accomplished, still need to finish the day on the second. I had a friend run with me the back half and that helped a lot. I would have walked more.

my time was 4:37: 45, a 10:35 pace with 1148 of elevasion. That time included stops to switch bottles and most importantly had to help DH pee Mallory. obviously not a PR but it’s done. Rumor on the street is that the April 2021 Boston will be elites only. That will mean qualifying again. I can do it just not sure when. My body does not do Marathons well, prone to injury so I can’t just do a bunch, I have to be picky.

I still have to work on nutrition. I suck.

forgot to add it won’t be parking lot beers but it will be balcony beers!

FD033D03-DA28-4E9C-872B-755642AC1432.jpeg

Last edited:
I had been signed up for a 10k that would have happened this morning, but like everything else it was canceled long ago. So I went ahead and ran 10k anyway, and tried to treat it like a race. I went out a little too fast and petered out at the end. Not a lot of motivation to gut it out to the finish when you're by yourself. Anyway I finished in 1:01:32 which isn't too far off my PR of 59:50. I like to think that if I was really racing I might have shaved 30 sec off of that from sheer force of will. The goal right now is to try to stay at least adjacent to race shape for when things eventually do open up.

I'm realizing I haven't run any races with a time goal since that 10k where I got that PR, the Star Wars 10k in 2019! Yeesh! I haven't run a half with a time goal since November 2018, and my last marathon with a time goal was January 2018. 2020 was going to be full of time-goal races for me, but it never materialized.

Has anybody else accidentally gone a long time without racing for time?

This Labour Day Weekend is so 2020 report

Thursday night, we had one last run to complete our Family 2020km Challenge, powered by homemade spreadsheet. We did it!
After a celebratory ice cream, our youngest DD said her throat hurt. It got worst. The next day she was coughing so she got to experience her first Friday of High School... from home. We went to get tested for Covid-19 at lunch and then we stayed isolated at home waiting for results. This weekend was supposed to be my peak training for my October 4th Marathon so I was stressing a bit. We got some of the results Saturday afternoon.

DH and I went for a 10k in the woods Sunday morning. When we got home, everyone was feeling great and we had received the last negative results so we decided to do our last attempt at the virtual Ottawa 5k (we had from May 15th to September 7th to enter a time but only got our shirts and medals in August). We did it!

I was going to go for another 10k when DH decided to join for a 5k. He really clicked with what endurance running is this weekend. I said, not a 5k, a 6.1k... and you will be completing your first ever half-marathon. He did it!

After lunch and shower, we had a photo session, thanks to great neighbors with good phone camera and patience.

We visited some family backyards on Monday but it was mostly quiet. Typical 2020 stuff.

First goal accomplished,
Congratulations on running a full Marathon virtually! It takes a lot of will power!

Has anybody else accidentally gone a long time without racing for time?
Not accidentally. 2019 goal was increasing my distance to a first Full and 2020 goal was to do Challenges (Dopey, Lumberjack, Remix). Now, I miss pushing the speed on shorter distances but don’t seem to be able to train for it with so little in person races. I looked at my passed PR on Athlinks last night and realized that they were all from 2018. I hope that I still will have it in me (or that I won’t be too old) when normalcy resume.

QOTD: I got this virtual race medal a few years ago (it was a surprise/random seller’s pick) but never gave it to myself. It says: She believed she could, so she did.

I am trying to find a difficult yet attainable goal to deserve it. It won’t be a virtual marathon as I have a real one coming up.

Which goal would you give yourself to deserve that medal?

ATTQOTD: I am looking for ideas while being curious about your motivations and challenges. Drinking more water, eating less sugar, cross training, weight training, loosing some fat are some of the ideas I have but I am not excited about any of them.

ETA: Maybe a non running streak. Or a 100 days program.

Last edited:
QOTD: I got this virtual race medal a few years ago (it was a surprise/random ) but never gave it to myself. It says: She believed she could, so she did.

I am trying to find a difficult yet attainable goal to deserve it. It won’t be a virtual marathon as I have a real one coming up.

ATTQOTD: I am looking for ideas while being curious about your motivations and challenges. Drinking more water, eating less sugar, cross training, weight training, loosing some fat are some of the ideas I have but I am not exciting about any of them.
Haha I keep teasing my ds that I want a medal for the good job I've been doing drinking more water! No medal has appeared yet.
Another good one I would take is weight training. I can't seem to get a good habit going. Maybe a medal for being able to do 25 push-ups! Sorry if that sounds lame but I can barely do 8 boy push-ups even after working at it for a few weeks. Or like 5 chin-ups! Something like that.

QOTD: I got this virtual race medal a few years ago (it was a surprise/random seller’s pick) but never gave it to myself. It says: She believed she could, so she did.

ATTQOTD: I am looking for ideas while being curious about your motivations and challenges. Drinking more water, eating less sugar, cross training, weight training, loosing some fat are some of the ideas I have but I am not excited about any of them.

ETA: Maybe a non running streak. Or a 100 days program.
ATTQOTD: I'm trying to improve my strength, especially my core which is quite weak.

August Totals:

92 miles
13:28 average pace
11:30:13 cross training hours

Other news:
- I've lost a total of 21 lbs (since January) which means I lost the 5 I gained on vacation and then some. :cool1:
- I have surpassed my running goal for the year. I've decided to stop focusing so much on mileage and focus more on cross training through the end of the year. I love how different my clothes are fitting now. I'll keep my speed workouts, hill repeats and long runs but not worry so much about the easy runs if time doesn't allow.

"She believed she could, so she did."

I'd set the goal as something that you really truly think is probably unattainable, but that you also know that with tons of hard work and persistence it could happen. So maybe not something like, "Win the Olympic Gold". Because honestly, that's just not feasible for me to achieve no matter how hard I try. But a big goal that may take years to achieve. I can't say any one particular goal stands out to me on my list: 102 Goals. Maybe the Sextuple PR Dopey Challenge. Because belief would play a major role over the course of those four days.

Maybe ask your daughters what they think should be done to earn that medal?

To share with my running community. You provide so much strength, comedy and relief. As I said going through some trying times and while i was running i had to fit it around life. I definitely did not feel trained up for the Boston in top form but i got it done. Not sure how successful goal 2 was as i did feel pretty bad yesterday, but this morning after 10 hours of sleep i am just a little sore in my legs and back.

The other news is my mother in law finally passed away this morning. Making it a much better decision to run that virtual boston yesterday rather than this coming weekend in Ohio. She has been sick for a long time. For those i told back at marathon weekend, we had changed up our entire Jan trip from our usual 2 weeks stay at the fort to a quick weekend trip in the cabins. We had done that because MIL was sick at xmas and i thought she would not make it through Jan. I will say that means it was 9 months of suffering. It is a relief that she is at peace.

I know i am not the only one having a tough year that really started with that Xmas trip and MIL being in the hospital then. Turned into Mallory battling an infection that i thought she might not win but she did, my brother passed away unexpectedly right after marathon weekend. Please remember you don't always know what others are going through so try to be kind to each other.

Is marathon weekend going to take place January 2021 or has it been cancelled already? Not that I am considering it or anything, just curious...

To share with my running community. You provide so much strength, comedy and relief. As I said going through some trying times and while i was running i had to fit it around life. I definitely did not feel trained up for the Boston in top form but i got it done. Not sure how successful goal 2 was as i did feel pretty bad yesterday, but this morning after 10 hours of sleep i am just a little sore in my legs and back.

The other news is my mother in law finally passed away this morning. Making it a much better decision to run that virtual boston yesterday rather than this coming weekend in Ohio. She has been sick for a long time. For those i told back at marathon weekend, we had changed up our entire Jan trip from our usual 2 weeks stay at the fort to a quick weekend trip in the cabins. We had done that because MIL was sick at xmas and i thought she would not make it through Jan. I will say that means it was 9 months of suffering. It is a relief that she is at peace.

I know i am not the only one having a tough year that really started with that Xmas trip and MIL being in the hospital then. Turned into Mallory battling an infection that i thought she might not win but she did, my brother passed away unexpectedly right after marathon weekend. Please remember you don't always know what others are going through so try to be kind to each other.
I'm sorry for the loss of your mother in law. Praying for your family.

Sending you and your family love and prayers. Hoping the next 365 days are better than the last.

My condolences on your loss and thank you for the reminder to be kind. I have had tough years like this where it feels you lurch from one hard place to the next. I hope you have a joy filled moment sometime soon.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter