The Running Thread - 2020

Yes there is.
Looking at it and realizing any miles walked or hiked count as well, I’m definitely interested. Typically I average 85 miles/month running but walk much more either at work or play. This month I’m at 45 miles so far running but have walked another 85, so I’m confident I could do over 200/month.

This could certainly be that little push to keep some level of motivation so keep me posted. If you have open spots and this happens, count me in.

edit to add: I’d prefer a running only team. Also seems that timing wise a couple hundred miles a month X 10 could finish this up in 15-16 months, just in time for a celebration at MW 2022.

@opusone Should you start a new thread and get this thing going or what? :)

The idea of putting a foot race on an auto track is interesting, but as someone who runs on a motor track almost daily (ok up unitl March), I think people will hate any banking- it is generally more severe than what everyone hates about WDW's cambered roads.

I remember when Disney thought it would be fun to make the marathon route run around their speedway. TORTURE.

Clearwater (which was supposed to be new) is also postponed, I think to 2022.
I'm wondering if they're going to go under within the next year or two. I don't know if they'll recover from this. Not to mention that some people have been less than thrilled with their customer service for a while.
I've been hoping to do Vegas for a while so I'll be bummed if that never happens, but we'll see how things go.

Rock N Roll going out of business would be good for runners in my opinion. Local RDs that care more about the local running scene and aren't trying to pump money into VC accounts will step into many of the locations and put on better races that are more focused on runners.

Gulf coast folks, looks like next week is going to get real interesting with the tropics. Potential for two systems in the gulf at the same time... ohh boy sigh

QOTD: No running related... Have there ever been two named systems in the GOM at the same time?

Gulf coast folks, looks like next week is going to get real interesting with the tropics. Potential for two systems in the gulf at the same time... ohh boy sigh

QOTD: No running related... Have there ever been two named systems in the GOM at the same time?

Unsure about in the Gulf, but I think the overall record is something like 5 or 6 active and named at the same time in general.

I don't know about in the gulf specifically, but Irma, Jose and Katia were all actively named at the same time in 2017. I only remember because we were on a cruise to the Caribbean at the time. LOL.

Guess who has a non-refundable stay booked at WDW early next week? :headache::rotfl2:I mean, at least I have a place booked and waiting if I need to evacuate, right?! Gah.

Was just talking about this at home. I can't ever recall a time when two named storms were forecast to hit at the same time in the Gulf. But we probably should have predicted as much, because 2020.

Last edited:
While it is an auto race track it is a road course so hopefully the banking isn't that bad. If you run at a track you may be familiar with it. It is the "Road Atlanta" course in Brasselton, GA. 2.54M for one lap.

View attachment 519912
I run at an auto track because I work next to it, so I have zero experience running on this one. While I have zero interest in running in GA weather, I would absolutely run this if it were near me.
The scenery looks nice and the At least there will not be so many potholes! It looks like lots of hills and turns, and the turns have to be banked more than your standard roadway. I imagine a lot of people will stick to the center and add a lot of mileage. Even if you do not feel the camber in a car, you will notice it on your hips. I would start off sticking closer to the chicanes (the white bumps) as it is probably to be flatter, and see how it works out.

@opusone If you are still looking for people I would be very interested. I guess I need to check the thread more often! Sounds pretty cool. If Laz is attached I am interested!

Guess who has a non-refundable stay booked at WDW early next week? :headache::rotfl2:I mean, at least I have a place booked and waiting if I need to evacuate, right?! Gah.

Was just talking about this at home. I can't ever recall a time when two named storms were forecast to hit at the same time in the Gulf. But we probably should have predicted as much, because 2020.

heading down Monday for the week.
going to put some miles in around the boardwalk, hopefully the weather cooperates

Ran 6.2 miles/10k this morning in my best time ever: 11:56/mile (1:13:58). Still involved a lot of walking, and not a great time for most I'm sure, but I'm proud of how much I've improved.

Five months ago I was proud just to have walked 6.2 miles (not due to injury or any physical condition, but rather to being a lazy couch potato).

Trail people - does a trail name count if bestowed upon one on a very urban - albeit it wooded and dirt, so trail-ish! - trail?! Because I am apparently now known as "Skirts," as deemed by one of the senior citizens I see almost every day in a local nature preserve, and because he sees me in running skirts most of the time. :rotfl:
I don’t see why not. I don’t even have a trail name, so just go ahead and rock it.

After considering things, I decided to transfer my Rock n Roll San Diego marathon registration to the 2021 Rock n Roll San Antonio marathon. It's closer geographically and not for another 16 months. That should be enough time for this health problem to get resolved. I hope. And a December race in Texas has a pretty decent chance of reasonable weather.

Today I ran a virtual half marathon with my younger daughter. This was her first and we decided to make it a trail run. No worries about time, just distance. She is 13 and knocked the 13.1(plus 3 miles more - I got us lost and we finished the distance well before returning to the trailhead).

Such a joy to run this with her today, and so proud of her! Also fun, it was a Forrest Gump themed race do live the shirt and medal!
A2AC704A-C04F-416F-A1C0-3DD3A30496DC.jpeg

August Summary
51.1km
Not going to run tomorrow so putting in my monthly summary today.

Back on a workout/training schedule, and for the most part it feels pretty good. I skipped a couple shorter runs because life happens. But happy that my long run distance is slowly increasing again (8km today!)

January - 39.3km
February - 70.6km
March - 73.5km
April - 81.4km
May - 77.9km
June - 57.1km
July - 47.9km

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter