The Running Thread - 2020

I just registered for a half marathon - scheduled for Nov 1 in RI, with a risk free registration (they only charge your card 1 week before the race assuming all approvals are in place and the race is set to go). It’s in a beautiful location, and timing aligns with a race weekend for a virtual series I’m doing. 🤞🤞
I have also been watching a few half marathons in RI as a backup in case the ones in CT get canceled. It looks like there are several in RI that are making adjustments to run with COVID-19 precautions. This one is scheduled for this upcoming weekend and seems to be happening:

https://www.fiercefive.org/race-information

Here's a little update for any of you holding their breath regarding Rock n Roll series races.

I was registered for the San Diego Marathon and last I heard it was "postponed till fall" and then... silence. Yesterday I got an email notifying me that the race was rescheduled for June 2021 and I had the option of doing that race or selecting another from their series.

I did a little news searching and it seems a decision was made about quite a few of their races. This list is by no means definitive:
  • Atlantic City - Cancelled
  • Denver - Cancelled
  • Las Vegas - Postponed to 2021
  • Montreal - Postponed to 2021
  • Nashville - Postponed till 2021
  • San Antonio - Postponed to 2021
  • San Diego - Postponed to 2021
  • Savannah - Postponed to 2021
  • Seattle - Cancelled
  • Virginia Beach - Cancelled
  • Washington DC - Cancelled
Then I found a story from May that they are being sued for not offering any refunds for the cancelled and postponed events. It's behind a paywall so the info is below:

Tampa-based Ironman Group, which has operated a portfolio of endurance events for over 40 years, and Competitor Group Inc., which runs the Rock 'n' Roll Marathon, are facing a class-action lawsuit after allegedly not offering refunds for events canceled and postponed because of Covid-19.

The lawsuit, filed in the Middle District of Florida, claims the companies did not offer refunds after Covid-19 forced cancellations and postponements for many of their Rock ‘n’ Roll Marathon races. Instead runners were given a credit for the rescheduled event or a future event if theirs was canceled.

The filing claims the price for registration, which it says can range from $30 for a 5K to $1,000 for the triathlon, is intended to offset operating costs, which the company has not incurred because the events were not held. The filing further claims the defendants and plaintiff entered into an agreement when they registered for the event in which they paid a registration fee to participate. Since the defendants have not met their end of the agreement — holding the events on the set dates — the plaintiff and others in the class are seeking damages in an amount to be determined, the lawsuit says.

“Defendants should not be permitted to force plaintiff and members of the class to bear the financial burden of the events canceled as a result of Covid-19," the lawsuit claims. "Defendants’ refusal to offer refunds to plaintiff and members of the class is simply a maneuver by defendants to maintain revenue and profit, regardless of whether paying customers can actually attend, and participate in, rescheduled or postponed events."

The Rock ‘n’ Roll Marathon series is set to host the inaugural Clearwater Half Marathon in October, barring local conditions because of Covid-19. The Rock 'n' Roll Marathon series holds events across the globe including in Madrid, Spain; Liverpool, England and New Orleans.
Ironman Group is a subsidiary of Wanda Sports Group Co. Ltd. (NYSE: WSG), pending a sale to New York-based Advanced, which owns American City Business Journals, the parent company of Tampa Bay Business Journal. Ironman Group was reached for comment, but the company does not publicly comment on pending litigation, a spokesman for the company told the TBBJ.

Here's a little update for any of you holding their breath regarding Rock n Roll series races.

I was registered for the San Diego Marathon and last I heard it was "postponed till fall" and then... silence. Yesterday I got an email notifying me that the race was rescheduled for June 2021 and I had the option of doing that race or selecting another from their series.

I did a little news searching and it seems a decision was made about quite a few of their races. This list is by no means definitive:
  • Denver - Cancelled
  • Seattle - Cancelled
Then I found a story from May that they are being sued for not offering any refunds for the cancelled and postponed events. It's behind a paywall so the info is below:

Clearwater (which was supposed to be new) is also postponed, I think to 2022.
I'm wondering if they're going to go under within the next year or two. I don't know if they'll recover from this. Not to mention that some people have been less than thrilled with their customer service for a while.
I've been hoping to do Vegas for a while so I'll be bummed if that never happens, but we'll see how things go.

Any interest in a DISboard team? https://www.craw.racing/

Yes there is.
Looking at it and realizing any miles walked or hiked count as well, I’m definitely interested. Typically I average 85 miles/month running but walk much more either at work or play. This month I’m at 45 miles so far running but have walked another 85, so I’m confident I could do over 200/month.

This could certainly be that little push to keep some level of motivation so keep me posted. If you have open spots and this happens, count me in.

edit to add: I’d prefer a running only team. Also seems that timing wise a couple hundred miles a month X 10 could finish this up in 15-16 months, just in time for a celebration at MW 2022.

Last edited:

• Denver - Cancelled
  • Seattle - Cancelled
The sale of Iron Man (and thus Rock’n’Roll) from Wanda to Advance was concluded a month ago. It seems that the new owners are evaluating the viability of each race and taking firm decisions on each of them.

They also made some overdue corrections like removing main sponsors names. They still haven’t finished the exercise since we have no news from them for Montreal scheduled in a month but for which the city has already announced that it is not happening in 2020.

I have also been watching a few half marathons in RI as a backup in case the ones in CT get canceled. It looks like there are several in RI that are making adjustments to run with COVID-19 precautions. This one is scheduled for this upcoming weekend and seems to be happening:

https://www.fiercefive.org/race-information
I considered registering for this one, but decided on a 10-miler in NH instead (8/29). It seems like it will happen and they have provisions in place for safety. I can't wait!

PTRR sucks. The interesting news is they are sttill going to do the PNC 10 miler and 5k(ish) by moving them to a raceway. 5k willl no be 2.54M. Haven't seem full detaills but I'm assuming the plan will be to give people start times throughout the day since they are at a closed facility now and don't have to worry about closing roads.

The question now is what does this mean for marathon weekend? I've been of the opinion that disney doesn't want to be the first big race back and the only one I know of still on the books right now is space coast.

The interview with the director of ATC has a quote that seems to indicate they are focused on "back half of 2021".

I am not surprised about PTRR. I mean I was hoping back in summer this would be under control and have a shot at happening but by mid July it was a forgone conclusion. When it was canceled for July 4, I decided to defer my entry to next year as i was not sure where i will be for thanksgiving. i know i am debbie downer here but yeah i am thinking back half of 2021 before you see any big races (over 500 people).

I am hoping I am home for Thanksgiving so @Krandor or @OldSlowGoofyGuy or @Disney at Heart let me know if you come into the city to run. I may be able to hand you a beer.

I am not surprised about PTRR. I mean I was hoping back in summer this would be under control and have a shot at happening but by mid July it was a forgone conclusion. When it was canceled for July 4, I decided to defer my entry to next year as i was not sure where i will be for thanksgiving. i know i am debbie downer here but yeah i am thinking back half of 2021 before you see any big races (over 500 people).

I am hoping I am home for Thanksgiving so @Krandor or @OldSlowGoofyGuy or @Disney at Heart let me know if you come into the city to run. I may be able to hand you a beer.

UNLESS you can spread people out. I saw another article this morning where ATC thought about doing PTRR over 4 days and spreading running our over 10-12 hours but guess the logistics/cost of that didn't work out.

ATC is still putting on a 10 miler that normally has like 4-5k and moving it to a course normally used for auto racing and I'm expecting that will be that staggered starts over 10-12 hours kinda setup. Right now I think that is the only way you can do it.

i agree with you @Krandor i think if you are going to have races you have to do the staggered start. I am interested in how the 10 miler goes, but that race is less people than PTRR.

Will be interesting to see how everything goes down this year. it is so depressing.

Saw the PTRR virtual news early this morning and was not surprised, just a little disappointed. Laughed with DH, “Let’s go ahead and do our virtual right now!” So we did our usual Wednesday 6.5 miles on Lake Hartwell Dam. Now I’m asking, “Does this mean we’ll have to cook a turkey on Thanksgiving this year?” We’ve been in Atlanta on July 4 and on Thanksgiving Day for 30+ years, and now we just stay home. Prayers for Marathon Weekend. We’ve gone to it almost every year since 1994 (only missed 3-4 due to work obligations).

i agree with you @Krandor i think if you are going to have races you have to do the staggered start. I am interested in how the 10 miler goes, but that race is less people than PTRR.

Will be interesting to see how everything goes down this year. it is so depressing.

The 10M is normally like 4-5k. Nowhere close to PTRR but still a lot during covid. The site says start waves scattered every 5 minuttes and max 25 people per wave. So let's assume only 1k want to do it. If you did the full 25 every 5 minutes that is still over 3 hours to start people best case and since it looks to be a multi-lap race I could see them staggering starts even more then 3 hours. The ATC did some smaller races over the summer (1M, 5k, 8k) doing thee staggered start and by all accounts it worked well.

One positive of a race like that (gotta look for positives) is that if people are starting over multiple hours then there is no real need to be strict on pacing numbers and sweeping people since the course is still going to be open. When I used to do OCRs I ran into that. I was slow on those so would signup for an early start time and as I went through the course later waves would pass me. No problem.

Definitely will. Not sure what I'm going to do now. Most years I do thanksgiving day half marathon that day so when peachttree got moved it wasn't a big deal since all it changed was what race I ran that day. I'm so used to doing something that morning that it would be weird not to. Just have to figure out what that something is.

Interesting idea about the staggered starts. I wonder if that would be possible for Marathon Weekend in Disney World.

Let's put aside the transportation nightmare with trying to get people to the starting line from all over property. It is just a challenge they need to figure out.

Could they turn this into a Cinderella theme and start waves at the stroke of midnight?

Since parks are closing early these days, I think they could close the roads without too much trouble.

Interesting idea about the staggered starts. I wonder if that would be possible for Marathon Weekend in Disney World.

I think it would be tough. there is not a long of extra time between when races typically finish and when they need to get roads/parks back open. Nighttime race might work. Only other way to do it would be to do it at a closed course where you don't have to close roads like say ESPN and you can stagger starts for hours. Even with that the full marathon would be tough so I think that's out under any scenario.

ATC is still putting on a 10 miler that normally has like 4-5k and moving it to a course normally used for auto racing and I'm expecting that will be that staggered starts over 10-12 hours kinda setup. Right now I think that is the only way you can do it.
The idea of putting a foot race on an auto track is interesting, but as someone who runs on a motor track almost daily (ok up unitl March), I think people will hate any banking- it is generally more severe than what everyone hates about WDW's cambered roads.

The idea of putting a foot race on an auto track is interesting, but as someone who runs on a motor track almost daily (ok up unitl March), I think people will hate any banking- it is generally more severe than what everyone hates about WDW's cambered roads.

While it is an auto race track it is a road course so hopefully the banking isn't that bad. If you run at a track you may be familiar with it. It is the "Road Atlanta" course in Brasselton, GA. 2.54M for one lap.

Peachtree Road Race has gone full virtual for the year, as of this morning. @OldSlowGoofyGuy and @garneska and others for whom this is an annual tradition, I’m sorry that it’s come to this for you guys!

Thanks. We already signed up for the virtual because I suspected this was going to happen. In my opinion, it stinks that they are making you do it on Thanksgiving Day. People have stuff to do. Seems like Thanksgiving week would have been sufficient. But we'll do it to keep the streak alive.

@camaker cant we have a multisport team? I will be cycling as much as running over the next 2-3 years.
I would be interested in a multisport team. In the winter, I tend to cycle indoors more, well, because winter. I know most people here are looking at a run only team but if there are others that are interested in a multisport team, maybe we can organize our own group.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter