The Running Thread - 2020

I saw that post about the Fenix. I ran, walked, and biked with my 945 and it appears that I didn't lose any data at all. Considering how close the Fenix and 945 are I'm surprised they are so different with the activities.

Late last night I couldn't get into Connect but WiFi sync worked and it kicked off my linked services like Strava and SportTracks.

That is true but with wastedlocker in paticular, the infiltrate your network first, find out what you have, then customize the malware for your environment and then often have your serves disable everybody's anti-virus/malware before running the ransomware. The ransom note even mentioned garmin by name. My point is even if you pay and even if you get the key, you still have compromised servers in this type of attack. This wasn't somebody downloaded something they shouldn't have.

So even if you pay you still have the issues of comprimised servers that have to be dealt with before you can bring everything back online which also makes restoring from backup harder too since you have to figure out how far back to go.

This was a professional russion cyberattack group that has already been sanctioned by the US government (which likely means garmin can't pay even if they wanted to). These guys know what they are doing.

I agree with all of this. I was really just saying it is in the interest of the bad actor to decrypt your data if they pay, not that it is the best route.

Even with the restore they need to find out how they got infected so they don't just get their restored data encrypted again. I suspect that was the reason for the length of the outage. Now a day's restoration is pretty straight forward, the forensic investigation is not.

My Garmin is still not syncing and today was my first ride (no run) where it didn't record the distance (but it was reporting my speed--not sure how it could do that without also recording distance). Anyway I feel totally "blind" without my data. I love Strava and the "Elevate" app within it. I hope they get everything figured out quickly!

My Garmin is still not syncing and today was my first ride (no run) where it didn't record the distance (but it was reporting my speed--not sure how it could do that without also recording distance). Anyway I feel totally "blind" without my data. I love Strava and the "Elevate" app within it. I hope they get everything figured out quickly!
I had connected my watch to my computer yesterday and uploaded my .fit files to Strava. Garmin did sync my past runs this morning; although everything is still not quite up and running yet.

Joke's on them, I go weeks without syncing my Garmin anyway. In all seriousness, though, this is worrying on a larger scale and I hope they're able to lock things down and get it secure again.

This past weekend was a Magic Mile run, and it went really well! I'm afraid I misreported earlier on and things were even worse than I was letting on. First one was over 14 minutes. Two weeks ago I was at 13:30 for my mile and considered that the fastest pace I could possibly run--it certainly didn't feel like I was capable of more. But then this weekend I hit 12:41! I know that's still way slower than a lot of people's easy pace and I'm still concerned about what it tells me re: chances of finishing the marathon, but seeing a 49 second improvement in just two weeks makes me feel like I might actually have a handle on this thing. I still don't like my MM runs, but I'm much less tense going into them and my legs felt really good running this one even if my lungs still didn't.

Still planning to run the half marathon down in Billings come September. The event that conflicted with the local race in August got cancelled and I'm a little salty since that'd be simpler and cheaper on general logistics, but I've already put money down for Billings and built my training schedule around it, so Billings it is. I got an email from them last week confirming they're still planning to hold their races and detailing some new rules and schedule changes. They're only requiring masks on the bus to the starting line and in the start and finish areas, not during the races, but they're going to split the HM into two starting times and send people out in waves of 50. I signed up for the earlier start time but I'm betting I'll be in one of its last waves.

While I'm not willing to run my first full marathon virtually, if the half down in Billings gets cancelled at this point I'll be shopping for a virtual half. Need that data.

I had connected my watch to my computer yesterday and uploaded my .fit files to Strava. Garmin did sync my past runs this morning; although everything is still not quite up and running yet.

I just tried this and got that to work. Unfortunately, my ride this morning is lost (the .fit file from my morning's ride was 1 kb and was effectively empty). I just set up Strava on my Apple Watch and I guess I will use that as a backup for now...

And to think I was eyeing a serious upgrade to my Garmin. Now I have to rethink that....

I just tried this and got that to work. Unfortunately, my ride this morning is lost (the .fit file from my morning's ride was 1 kb and was effectively empty). I just set up Strava on my Apple Watch and I guess I will use that as a backup for now...

And to think I was eyeing a serious upgrade to my Garmin. Now I have to rethink that....
Yeah my first run this morning (before we stopped for lightning) did not log any distance, but I was watching for that since I had read stories of that happening. So I was able to start Strava on my phone right at the beginning of the run. Went home, deleting a few old runs from the watch, and then it worked fine on the treadmill.
But yeah, it stinks when the ride/run is already finished and you can’t go back and record with anything.

Garmin may still have a few issues in the near future, but I would hope at this point things should be even better and something like this happening again for quite a while should be very slim.

Garmin's claiming partial functionality is back. I was just able to sync the runs on my Forerunner 235, and got the 'new run' notification from Strava.

Garmin Connect still has the error message for me, but everything since last Thursday has updated. I have the Garmin Fenix 5s and did not experience any issues with GPS or indoor tracking that other people were having.

Garmin Connect still has the error message for me, but everything since last Thursday has updated. I have the Garmin Fenix 5s and did not experience any issues with GPS or indoor tracking that other people were having.

My Garmin Venu was not saving activities yesterday or this morning. I broke out my old FR235, and it seemed to track and save things OK.

I can now see my activities prior to yesterday that were missing. However, just an hour ago the GPS on my Venu was still not updating distance and having trouble saving.

Random Question... (but hey, what are internet friends for??)

Does anyone use any kind of heartburn/reflux medicine/proton pump inhibitor? Good experience with it? Rx or OTC?

I am having a flare of pretty bad reflux/heart burn. Doctor suggested a PPI, but I was a little hesitant. But am thinking maybe taking for a couple weeks might let my tummy heal a bit.

Does anyone use any kind of heartburn/reflux medicine/proton pump inhibitor? Good experience with it? Rx or OTC?

I am having a flare of pretty bad reflux/heart burn. Doctor suggested a PPI, but I was a little hesitant. But am thinking maybe taking for a couple weeks might let my tummy heal a bit.

I’ve used ranitidine (Rx) for many years - off and on, but after the recent news about NDMA, I’ve stopped but am still suffering. I’ve been using chewable antacids, not as effective but better than nothing! I need to discuss a new med at my next doctor visit.

I used protonix for reflux for several years with no issues. I haven’t needed it for years, though.

My Garmin Venu was not saving activities yesterday or this morning. I broke out my old FR235, and it seemed to track and save things OK.

I can now see my activities prior to yesterday that were missing. However, just an hour ago the GPS on my Venu was still not updating distance and having trouble saving.
Have you tried connecting your watch to a computer, and going in and deleting a few old files? That worked for me to get the distance back and it to not get stuck in saving or discarding.

So, Garmin came back up for everyone but me. I finally was able to force sync my Vivoactive3 via my computer. Then I wiped and updated my device. Still won't sync like normal to my phone. Then I went for a run today. No distance reading and eternal hang up when saving. Needless to say, I'm done with Garmin.

So, Garmin came back up for everyone but me. I finally was able to force sync my Vivoactive3 via my computer. Then I wiped and updated my device. Still won't sync like normal to my phone. Then I went for a run today. No distance reading and eternal hang up when saving. Needless to say, I'm done with Garmin.

Not everyone - not back for me yet.

My Vivoactive 3 was able to sync to Garmin Connect app on my iphone on Sunday and was able to sync to Garmin Express on my computer this morning, both without doing anything differently. So, for good or bad, your issue is probably not due to the model of your watch.

I had to reset my Bluetooth on my phone for my Garmin to update even though I was getting text alerts and everything. As soon as I turned Bluetooth off and back on it synced no problem. So weird. But happy to not lose any data.

My Vivoactive started syncing with my iPhone app yesterday afternoon. My watch failed to record the distance on my ride yesterday, but today it was back to working like normal. Said another way, the Garmin connect app still says its down for maintenance but its syncing with my watch (are Strava is able to grab the data). And now that its syncing, it appears the GPS on the watch is working again.

And to be clear, as was the case for @Kerry1957, I did't have to do anything special for this to start happening again. I did connect my watch to my computer and upload some runs/rides manually to Strava, but I did nothing in relation to Garmin connect or the app. It may just be a matter of time for it to start working again for everyone.

Progress!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter