The Running Thread - 2020

I honestly don’t know/understand a lot of the training jargon. “Speed work” “easy run” (because every run sucks tight now and none of them are easy and if I run slower it seems even harder??) “tempo run” and so on.

And depending on who you listen to the exact same term (like Tempo run) can mean wildly different things. Some define Tempo as a specific pace in the pace spectrum, whereas others use "Tempo" as a means to describe the pace at which you would run certain distances in a race (like Marathon Tempo is the pace at which you would run a marathon).

I think the easiest way to think about it is as a "pace spectrum". From, as fast as you can go, to as slow as you can go. The slower you go, the bigger the "zones" of the pace spectrum. As you get faster, the "paces" narrow.

When training, you want to diversify your weekly schedule across the pace spectrum with specification towards the event you're working towards. The large majority of that diversification should skew towards easy pacing. A commonly quoted percentage of easy for the whole week is 80%. Where easy pacing can be defined by a certain HR%, or a pace like "12-20% slower than Marathon Tempo", or a simple mechanism like Galloway uses which is "Marathon Tempo + 2 minutes". Ideally easy pace is defined by effort, but in my experience (and based on research as well) most people gravitate towards paces that physiologically aren't easy. So it takes some time to learn what easy effort actually feels like. Once you learn what easy feels like, then you can rely on effort to guide easy pacing. So for me, some days my easy pace is in the 7:40s, and some days it's in the 10:20s. It's all about what "feels" right on that day based on a myriad of factors.

The remaining 20% is your specification. So you're working towards a 10k PR in February. So as you get closer to the 10k in February (let's say the last 8-12 weeks), you would be working on paces in and around 10k pace (like HM Tempo, 10k Tempo, or 5k Tempo). Whereas let's say you were working towards a marathon. The paces in and around that would be the long run, M Tempo, and HM Tempo. The specificity of your training is the nuts and bolts.

I’m basically hopping on the treadmill and trying to get my walk intervals down to 30sec (1min feels a LOT better at this point) and my run intervals to a higher speed (it’s always at least 6, and I’m now able to maintain 6.2ish for my 3mi runs and have been pushing the first mile up to around 6.5-6.7)

My goal is to be able to run the 10k in February at a 9mm pace. And to finish a half in October...holding off on registration for that though since 13 miles just sounds too scary right now.

So my mantra is "train where you are, and not where you want to be". Using the same "pacing spectrum" graphic above, I can explain why (a re-post):

Most runners set goals for themselves. Whether that is a new distance or a faster time. But often I see runners extend themselves with the pacing too far. What was once marathon tempo pace becomes their 10k pace. But it's my belief that training where you are (with current fitness physiological pacing) is the best long term strategy. You'll make gains, and potentially can stay injury free for longer. You're working at appropriate paces, rather than paces of where you want to be. I made this image to illustrate this concept (see above).

Let's say "current" is what we believe to be your current fitness pacing spectrum. Let's say that you have a new goal of lowering your half marathon time by 5 minutes. Some may say, well let's type in your new goal half marathon pace and come up with a new pacing scheme. This is where I'd argue you've chosen a "too fast" pacing spectrum. So what happens? Well potentially what was suppose to be "easy" is now a mixture of "easy" and "long". That's not a huge deal. You've made the "easy" just slightly harder, but things are still falling into those large zones of pacing at the slower end of the spectrum. But as you move further down the pacing spectrum you start to see issues. What was once your "10k" pace is now your "HM pace" for the purpose of workouts. So while you limited the 10k workouts to 20 min a single bout and having recovery intervals of 1 min for every 5 min of running, suddenly you're choosing to follow the HM rules for a workout at that same intensity. So instead of a 5:1, now suddenly you're looking at a duration cap of 60 minutes with no required rest breaks. That's a huge difference between how your body will perceive these workouts. In one case, you're making sure you don't do more than 20 min, but in the other case, you're suddenly allowing yourself to go all the way to 60 min. Could you complete the workout? It's certainly possible. But how your body reacts, adapts, and recovers from that workout is likely going to be completely different than was intended when following a training plan. You'll start to fall into a pattern where you'll always be trying to recover from the workout instead of reaping the benefits of it. It's what I call, "Don't Survive the Training, Thrive because of it". Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

On the opposite end, you can see that little harm will be done if you train just slightly too slow. So I always try to impress upon my runners, train where you are and not necessarily where you want to be. With consistent training, you'll get where you want to be. A runner who can put in lots of good efforts without getting injured can become consistent and make consistent gains. But a runner who is striving beyond their current fitness and consistently ends up injured is likely to stunt their improvement over time.

So using the above, let's reverse engineer what a 9 min/mile 10k runner can do at other distances.

Screen Shot 2020-07-22 at 8.11.57 AM.png

A 9 min/mile 10k runner can do the mile in about 7:47 and a 5k in about 26:49 (8:38 min/mile). So you'd want to be able to hit those benchmarks, or get close to them to be able to hit the 55:55 10k time (9:00 min/mile). So is that the case for your current fitness level at the mile or 5k? Or is this still something you are striving towards? What was a recent mile time trial or 5k, say within the last 4 months? We'd want to base the pacing off of that and then build towards that goal.

“easy run” (because every run sucks tight now and none of them are easy and if I run slower it seems even harder??)

This part tells me it is highly likely that you aren't training slow enough if every run sucks. That's because truly easy pacing by definition almost feels effortless. You almost feel as if you did nothing when you're done with an easy day. That's how you know you're doing it right.

As for the feeling of "running slower seems even harder", it's actually quite common when attempting to learn to go slow enough. I'd say in my experience of helping others, that 99% of runners tell me the same thing when starting out. It's extremely rare for someone to say to me, "oh great that's a super easy pace and I can do that with no problem." But I'd say after say 3 weeks or so, about 90% of runners report back that the truly easy pace has now become truly easy. It just takes some getting used to. Another chunk (let's say 9%) take about 2-3 months to get used to the slower pacing. There is a very very small sliver, say 1%, of runners that just can't ever go as slow as I recommend in the pacing. But that happens most often when those runner's easy pace is in the 18-20 min/mile range and is so darn close to their walking pace. Then, for that 1%, we get creative. So I'd say give the easy pacing an honest try for a few weeks and see if you can adjust. Just let me know what a recent race time is, and I can give you a good idea where that easy pace should end up.

I too was one of those runners who said, "If I can go faster, why shouldn't I?" A "PR the day" type mindset. But it's when I accepted the "train slow to race fast" mantra that my PRs dropped dramatically. Now these days, I can run a 5:42 mile solo time trial. An easy day is commonly in the 8-10 min/mile range. But even when I run with my daughter and wife, I can still manage to run/walk a 14-15 min/mile pace. So I'm confident that if I can run a pace that's nearly 10 min/mile slower than my mile PR, that others can run a few min/mile slower than theirs with proper practice.

Well that's a WHOLE LOT of information. I really appreciate you sharing it. I admittedly don't know what I'm doing from a planned-out training perspective. I also don't really like running very much (which is part of the reason why I say every run sucks, and I'm sure being 100% treadmill right now doesn't help.) My "plan" right now is to do around 3-3.5 miles 2x a week, and then a longer run (right now it's 4-4.5mi) on saturday or sunday depending on what all we having going on with DH's work and the kids and everything else. But I'm running them all at pretty much the same pace. :confused3 I'm running a 5k in about 33min right now.

I have not. Sounds like something I can definitely work in though, and should include. I honestly don’t know/understand a lot of the training jargon. “Speed work” “easy run” (because every run sucks tight now and none of them are easy and if I run slower it seems even harder??) “tempo run” and so on. I’m basically hopping on the treadmill and trying to get my walk intervals down to 30sec (1min feels a LOT better at this point) and my run intervals to a higher speed (it’s always at least 6, and I’m now able to maintain 6.2ish for my 3mi runs and have been pushing the first mile up to around 6.5-6.7)

My goal is to be able to run the 10k in February at a 9mm pace. And to finish a half in October...holding off on registration for that though since 13 miles just sounds too scary right now.

@DopeyBadger did a good job of summarizing the differences but as he stated the exact definition will change based on who you listen to. If you want to check out some books the one that I feel does the best job of summarizing not only the different types of runs but also provides some additional information around their volumes is Daniels' Running Formula. I also find his estimating tools to be great for judging your estimated capacity for different distances.

I've just started Hansons Marathon Method but I'm not far enough in yet to recommend it. My current plan is to train for my next BQ attempt using the Hanson Method while using some of the Daniels calculations to keep me informed on progress. That might change after I get through the Hanson book but it is the current plan.

Between the pandemic and my MBA my running is very unstructured at the moment.

Well that's a WHOLE LOT of information. I really appreciate you sharing it. I admittedly don't know what I'm doing from a planned-out training perspective. I also don't really like running very much (which is part of the reason why I say every run sucks, and I'm sure being 100% treadmill right now doesn't help.) My "plan" right now is to do around 3-3.5 miles 2x a week, and then a longer run (right now it's 4-4.5mi) on saturday or sunday depending on what all we having going on with DH's work and the kids and everything else. But I'm running them all at pretty much the same pace. :confused3 I'm running a 5k in about 33min right now.

You sound like me when I started. I worked up from 1 mile to 3 training for my first 5K entirely on a treadmill and hated it. I decided to try one outdoor run before the race and it completely changed my view or running. It was like a different sport entirely. Now unless absolutely necessary I avoid the treadmill. From 100 to -15 I get out on the road. It is such a better experience.

I decided to try one outdoor run before the race and it completely changed my view or running. It was like a different sport entirely. Now unless absolutely necessary I avoid the treadmill. From 100 to -15 I get out on the road. It is such a better experience.

First off, @Herding_Cats, if you attract the attention of @DopeyBadger you‘re going to get a LOT of information! It’s great information, too. Sometimes I think he’s figured out how to get paid by the word for each post, though! :rotfl2:

Second, I can’t second @GreatLakes recommendation enough. Outdoor running is so much different than indoor and, for me, so much more enjoyable. I won’t run before I run on a treadmill. I will, however, go out and run in just about any condition short of thunder and lightning. Yesterday’s run was at a heat index of 104 and I’m still glad I did it.

Update from the LA Marathon:

2021 Los Angeles Marathon
If the 2021 Los Angeles Marathon is cancelled due to Covid-19, athletes will have the option to defer their race entry until the 2022, 2023 or 2024 event. Specific policies regarding deferrals will be set around the date of any cancellation. Athletes will be advised of our deferral policy if the event is postponed, at the time a postponement is announced.
We want the Marathon to go ahead as much as you do and are planning for, and will do, whatever is reasonably possible to produce it safely and within then-current COVID-19 guidelines. We will implement measures, including reducing start line, finish line, and on-course densities, if these measures are compatible with the Los Angeles Marathon experience and feasible for our organization and our host cities.
If the Marathon is cancelled, we are not considering a virtual race as the only option. While circumstances are ever-changing, we believe that is not a desired option for the athletes nor would it do justice to an event that is one of the world’s great landmark marathons.

Please note that there will not be refunds for any events in 2021.

In making these decisions the health and safety of our athletes, volunteers, spectators, partners, and our staff is always, and will be, our number one priority.

We thank you for your patience, your understanding, and your support. For many of you the 2020 Los Angeles Marathon was the last fun and normal experience you had before the COVID-19 lockdown. With our new season of races, we intend to do everything possible to provide a similar great experience for our athletes and the City of Los Angeles as we celebrate the beginning of a new era for the race and the running community.

Well that's a WHOLE LOT of information. I really appreciate you sharing it.

:rotfl2: It's my favorite topic and studying training plan philosophy and design is one of my favorite parts of running. Sometimes for better or for worse, I like sharing that passion. But yea... I tend to be a bit verbose.

I admittedly don't know what I'm doing from a planned-out training perspective. I also don't really like running very much (which is part of the reason why I say every run sucks, and I'm sure being 100% treadmill right now doesn't help.) My "plan" right now is to do around 3-3.5 miles 2x a week, and then a longer run (right now it's 4-4.5mi) on saturday or sunday depending on what all we having going on with DH's work and the kids and everything else. But I'm running them all at pretty much the same pace. :confused3

Well one of my top recommendations would be to find a training plan that can fit your lifestyle. So whether that's 2-3-4-5 days per week and a weekday commitment of 30 min-60min-120 min, or whatever limitations you personally have. Having something progressive in nature is likely to lead to a better outcome in the long term.

I'm running a 5k in about 33min right now.

Alright, so this is what I come up with:

Screen Shot 2020-07-22 at 10.14.53 AM.png

If a 5k of 33:00 is your current fitness, then I estimate you can run a mile in 9:42 or a 10k in 1:09. So in order to get down to a 55 min 10k by February, you're looking at a 20% improvement in about 31 weeks (or 2 training cycles). I would say that's a fairly aggressive goal. Not impossible, but definitely on the high side of improvement in 2 training cycles. Typically you'd see maybe 5-10% per training cycle on the high side. And as time goes on and you have more years behind your training, that ability to improve becomes smaller and smaller per cycle.

As for pacing:

Screen Shot 2020-07-22 at 10.15.01 AM.png

If continuous running, then 80% of training at 13:09 min/mile or slower.

This is where I take a step back and truly marvel in the current workouts you're doing. You didn't say how long you were holding the 6-6.7 mph (9-10 min/mile pace) on the treadmill in your run/walk reps. But let's say it is 30/30 reps. So you're essentially doing 30 seconds of 800-1600m pace and then walking for 30 seconds and maintaining that for 3ish miles. I guarantee you I can not replicate that workout myself. When I did a similar workout I was doing 30/60 sec and maintained that for a mile at best. So I tip my cap to you. That's an elite level workout if we've got your current pacing down and would easily explain why it may feel so tough. It also says to me that with the right training you're likely to dramatically improve.

Screen Shot 2020-07-22 at 10.15.13 AM.png

If using run/walk, then the above is a calculator I developed to aid in coming up with a starting point on run/walk intervals. It blends the philosophy of Galloway and Daniels together. So your easy pace should be around a 14 min/mile average pace and also around 80% of your total training. If your walking pace is around a 17 min/mile (3.5 mph on the treadmill), then your running pace should be around a 13 min/mile (4.6 mph) in interval sets of 75/30. If your walking pace is something else (like 16 or 20), then it's going to influence the interval ratio. But it's not going to influence the suggestion of a run pace of 4.6 mph as that is roughly your 100% aerobic threshold and keeps the easy easy. That's in stark contrast to the 6-6.7 you're doing right now. So I think making this change will dramatically make those easy days way way easier. It might also help you enjoy running more.

As for the other 20% of training, that would be spent at paces other than the easy ones. Depending on the training plan you follow, it'll have a variety of other types of pacing.

But let's circle all the way back. The question is, how bad do you want that 55 min 10k in February? And how are you going to go about making it happen? From the data, it would suggest you're about 20% off from that goal at this moment, which as we laid out is aggressive but not impossible. So clearly you need to get faster overall, but how do you accomplish that? First instinct might be to add in speed work (working at paces faster than goal distance pace like the mile, 3k, or 5k paces). But I'd counter and say the 10k is a 90% aerobic event and so you need endurance more than you need "speed". If you increase the endurance, the "speed" will follow. So if the goal is truly a 55 min 10k in February, I'd actually suggest you train for a 10 miler or HM for the next 16 weeks. It might seem crazy, but I have a feeling if you slow down your easy days to be truly easy that you'll find you can add more volume to the training without completely wiping you out. And if you also follow a progressive training plan to build towards that 10 mi or HM distance over the next 16 weeks, then it should help keep you injury free. Then after the 16 week training cycle towards a 10 mi or HM, you then follow that up with a 10k paced focused training plan for the following 15 weeks towards Feb 2021 but at a training volume of a 10 mi or HM. During which we hope that by increasing your endurance in the first training cycle that it brings you that much closer to being able to bring the speed into the plan towards a faster 10k. So summary:

7/27/20 - 11/9/20: Training plan focused towards 10 mi or HM distance with almost exclusively easy pacing around a 14 min/mile.
11/9/20 - 2/21/21: Training plan focused towards 10k with specificity in pacing towards the 10k and volume of a 10 mi/HM traditional training plan.

I also don't really like running very much (which is part of the reason why I say every run sucks, and I'm sure being 100% treadmill right now doesn't help.)

Agree with the others, that for the large majority, treadmill running isn't nearly as fun/enjoyable as outdoor running. There are those who do enjoy treadmill running though. For me it's indoor cycling. I don't necessarily like it. But I've learned to accept it in my quest to get better. And in order to incentivize myself to do the indoor cycling, I reserve all Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc. to only when I'm on the bike. So if I want to find out what happens to "Hanna" in the next episode, well I better get on the bike so I can find out. Just trying to find a way to incentivize the process.

@DopeyBadger did a good job of summarizing the differences but as he stated the exact definition will change based on who you listen to. If you want to check out some books the one that I feel does the best job of summarizing not only the different types of runs but also provides some additional information around their volumes is Daniels' Running Formula. I also find his estimating tools to be great for judging your estimated capacity for different distances.

I've just started Hansons Marathon Method but I'm not far enough in yet to recommend it. My current plan is to train for my next BQ attempt using the Hanson Method while using some of the Daniels calculations to keep me informed on progress. That might change after I get through the Hanson book but it is the current plan.

Completely agree that both of those are phenomenal books. You should find that the Hansons and Daniels philosophies have a lot of overlapping principles. They blend well together.

Sometimes I think he’s figured out how to get paid by the word for each post, though! :rotfl2:

:lmao:

Yea, I don't think I've ever been accused of using too few of words before. LOL! Even my PI gets on my back about my presentations and summaries.

Hanna! We just finished season one and I’m really enjoying that show. We have been finishing seasons of stuff left and right and it’s super frustrating to have to continually find something new to watch.

At 6.2, I’m doing 3min/1min, and walking at 3.5-3.7. If I bump it up to 6.5ish then it’s 2:30/1. I was attempting 6.4 for 2:30/0:30 on Monday and after about 3 cycles I bagged it because it was not good. So maybe I need to back off on that? Hmmm. The 9min/mi is something I just kind of pulled out of the air since I am running with my sil for the princess and she said she ran her half 2 years ago with like 8min/mi (but I also did the math because what she said her finish time was and what she said her pace was didn’t line up at all so I’m assuming there was a typo.) Regardless, I don’t want to be severely “holding her back”, and I’m competitive enough by nature to say to myself “9 minutes seems like it could be possible.”

Treadmill running is a “have to” right now with 3 kids at home (not in school) and a 10 month old. I’d just pop her in the bob and go but I have an 8yo I don’t trust at home with his older brothers. DH is working a lot of 12hr days, so it’s not really an option to run when he gets home because of where it falls with all of the evening parenting stuff. Our area is doing really well with covid stuff so we are planning on sending them back to in-person school in September and I’ll be able to put the baby in the bob and run during the day.

I will definitely look into those books. I’m a chronic over-researcher about stuff.

Hanna! We just finished season one and I’m really enjoying that show. We have been finishing seasons of stuff left and right and it’s super frustrating to have to continually find something new to watch.

Tell me about it. I've put in 600 hours on the indoor trainer in the last 1.5 years. That's a lot of Netflix and Amazon Prime. I find Amazon Prime's TV shows are almost always good, and Netflix seems better at their movies than their series (although I have found some good ones like "Dark").

At 6.2, I’m doing 3min/1min, and walking at 3.5-3.7. If I bump it up to 6.5ish then it’s 2:30/1. I was attempting 6.4 for 2:30/0:30 on Monday and after about 3 cycles I bagged it because it was not good. So maybe I need to back off on that?

Definitely back off. Even the 180/60 is still an elite level workout. I'd be curious to see what you would get in a one mile time trial outdoors whenever you can find a spare 30 minutes (10 min easy + TT + 10 min easy). Because I'm betting you'll outperform that 9:42 by a good margin and reinforce that your current fitness isn't a 33 min 5k. Then it would help explain how you're pulling off the workouts you are at this moment in time.

The 9min/mi is something I just kind of pulled out of the air since I am running with my sil for the princess and she said she ran her half 2 years ago with like 8min/mi (but I also did the math because what she said her finish time was and what she said her pace was didn’t line up at all so I’m assuming there was a typo.) Regardless, I don’t want to be severely “holding her back”, and I’m competitive enough by nature to say to myself “9 minutes seems like it could be possible.”

I can certainly understand that motivation. So use that in your journey forward. And possibly consider the two training cycle plan I laid out previously to get there.

Treadmill running is a “have to” right now with 3 kids at home (not in school) and a 10 month old. I’d just pop her in the bob and go but I have an 8yo I don’t trust at home with his older brothers. DH is working a lot of 12hr days, so it’s not really an option to run when he gets home because of where it falls with all of the evening parenting stuff. Our area is doing really well with covid stuff so we are planning on sending them back to in-person school in September and I’ll be able to put the baby in the bob and run during the day.

Sounds like a lot on your plate and your family's as well. So the treadmill definitely makes sense. It's about evaluating multiple training plan options and finding the one that fits around your life rather than finding a plan that you have to fit your life around. How about this?

https://www.halhigdon.com/training-programs/half-marathon-training/novice-2-half-marathon/
Screen Shot 2020-07-22 at 12.42.00 PM.png

It's 4 running days per week with a 5th day as cross training (going on a walk with the kids counts per Higdon's instructions). You would aim to do all runs at easy pace (currently projected at a 14 min/mile). So that's 40-70 min on weekdays and a maximum run of 2.5 hrs on the weekend (if you cap at 11 miles). It kind of lines up with what you're doing right now, but where you could get in 12 weeks. You could consider adding in a 4-week run-in to the plan to get it out to the 16 weeks I had theorized earlier. Is that something you could fit into your life schedule, and if not, where do you see the trip up because I can try and find something else?

Just saw this on runDisney. I'm still hoping marathon weekend happens.

"With that in mind, we are transitioning the 2020 Disney Wine & Dine Half Marathon Weekend at Walt Disney World Resort to a virtual race. All registered Guests for the onsite event have the option of receiving a full refund for the race, and registered Guests with a U.S. mailing address may convert their existing registration to the new virtual event that can be completed from home, a local running track or favorite running trail."

Just saw this on runDisney. I'm still hoping marathon weekend happens.

"With that in mind, we are transitioning the 2020 Disney Wine & Dine Half Marathon Weekend at Walt Disney World Resort to a virtual race. All registered Guests for the onsite event have the option of receiving a full refund for the race, and registered Guests with a U.S. mailing address may convert their existing registration to the new virtual event that can be completed from home, a local running track or favorite running trail."

If you want a good laugh, check out how much they’re charging for the virtual option...

ETA: Here are the costs for the virtual W&D races:
5k - $79
10k - $99
Half - $118
Challenge - $252

:rotfl2:

Last edited:
I mean they could've charged full price and people wouldn't have bee surprised.

Probably not, but offering a virtual race for in-person money with a full refund option would mean that more people would just want their money back rather than do the virtual.

Lowering the prices at least gives people a reason to think about letting rD keep the cash.

So how’s everyone doing?

I think a few other people have mentioned it, but I have completely lost all motivation to run and it’s too darn hot out to even convince myself that I’ll feel better once I do (even though I know I will). I used to love running on the treadmill but today it felt like the worst chore in the world.

One of my goals for this year was to increase weekly mileage, and halfway through July my mileage is looking awful, especially after all the strides I made in March-May.

I think I attacked this lockdown with so much gusto and “can-do” attitude that I’ve completely exhausted my motivation and positivity for the rest of the year.

So tell me how you’re doing, I can’t be the only one feeling this way....

I have absolutely 0 motivation to run right now. This has been a hot and humid summer in the Northeast, which I don't mind, but not great for running. I have been doing beachbody workouts and I am okay with that for now. It has really helped with my strength training which I needed. DH and I also get out and go for walks a few days a week. Since my new return to the office date is January (maybe they say) I do plan to get back into running this fall when the weather cools off. I am loving the 2.5+ hours I have gotten back in my day from WFH and hope the office offers more flexibility whenever we do head back.

In case you haven't been able to upload your workout from your Garmin today, you aren't alone.

https://www.slashgear.com/huge-garmin-outage-takes-sync-and-garmin-connect-offline-23630428/
One thing is for sure, when they get this mess sorted out, Strava is going to melt down from a tsunami of workout updates.

Rumor is it might be a ransomware attack!

And here's a work around via twitter:
to all the people freaking out because @garmin @GarminFitness services have been down for 7+ hours: mount your watch via USB on your computer->browse to the activities directory->take today's .fit file->manually upload it to a 3rd party service (e.g. strava)->breath

Rumor is it might be a ransomware attack!

And here's a work around via twitter:
to all the people freaking out because @garmin @GarminFitness services have been down for 7+ hours: mount your watch via USB on your computer->browse to the activities directory->take today's .fit file->manually upload it to a 3rd party service (e.g. strava)->breath

I haven't seen any confirmation of this but it's worth noting one threat these attacks use is releasing users personal info. Now might be a good time to update one's passwords.

I can't wait for the technical write up of the outage if we ever get one. A company Garmin's size having one attack take down this many systems (connect, phones, email, etc) is worrisome. I'm wondering if the attack itself only took down a subset of the systems and the rest were taken down proactively because they were also vulnerable. That is my educated guess.

If anyone uses their Garmin passwords anywhere else you might want to change them proactively in other systems to be safe. If it is ransomware and the credentials were stored correctly it is unlikely there was also a usable breach but better safe than sorry.

ETA: It looks like it is also impacting their flight business which makes it even wider.

Last edited:
What to do...? On one side, I would be one of the lucky one with a race in the Fall. On the other, I think it would be wiser and less stressful to postpone to 2021. Also, it would give me over a year to train for BQ speed.

We are pleased to announce that the Marathon P’tit Train du Nord is going forward. We are more than ever determined to present the event on October 4.

All efforts, all efforts are BEING MADE in order to be able to hold the event while applying all the sanitary measures and the physical distancing required by Public Health. ** PLEASE NOTE: everything is subject to change to stay in accordance with the official Public Health directives.
We remind you that your registration for the 2020 edition can be deferred to next year's 2021 edition, at no charge. Any runner who wishes to take advantage of this privilege must do so before August 14, 2020.

I had the brilliant idea of putting the baby into her own room, and moving the oldest 2 into a room together and the other kid into one of the older brothers' room, which in turn meant painting, and assembling new bed frames, so I haven't run since Monday or Tuesday. I forget. I had to check and see what day of the week it was today.

I'd be curious to see what you would get in a one mile time trial outdoors whenever you can find a spare 30 minutes (10 min easy + TT + 10 min easy). Because I'm betting you'll outperform that 9:42 by a good margin and reinforce that your current fitness isn't a 33 min 5k. Then it would help explain how you're pulling off the workouts you are at this moment in time.

Did the mile time trial today. put an out-grown kids shoe over the speed readout on the screen so i wouldn't be able to see the number and have it get in my head. started it at 6.7 and adjusted as needed with the +/- button. Ran it in 9:18, and I feel like i maybe could have gone a little bit faster (like maybe 9:10? who knows. maybe not.) When the mile was done (I did 12 min of walking/ jogging to warmup beforehand) I dropped the speed down to 4.6 and was able to do another mile without needing to walk at all. Like....it was easy. IMAGINE THAT! :rolleyes::rotfl::rotfl2:

Sounds like a lot on your plate and your family's as well. So the treadmill definitely makes sense. It's about evaluating multiple training plan options and finding the one that fits around your life rather than finding a plan that you have to fit your life around. How about this?

https://www.halhigdon.com/training-programs/half-marathon-training/novice-2-half-marathon/
It's 4 running days per week with a 5th day as cross training (going on a walk with the kids counts per Higdon's instructions). You would aim to do all runs at easy pace (currently projected at a 14 min/mile). So that's 40-70 min on weekdays and a maximum run of 2.5 hrs on the weekend (if you cap at 11 miles). It kind of lines up with what you're doing right now, but where you could get in 12 weeks. You could consider adding in a 4-week run-in to the plan to get it out to the 16 weeks I had theorized earlier. Is that something you could fit into your life schedule, and if not, where do you see the trip up because I can try and find something else?

That looks completely doable on paper, AND lines up almost perfectly with the half marathon my SIL wants to run for her birthday, with a couple of scheduling issues. We are going to WDW for our [rescheduled] anniversary trip during the last full week of august barring any shut-downs or quarantine/stay-home orders. There will be no running that week. It just won't happen unless the fitness centers are open because I don't relish the idea of running around by myself in FL heat. The long runs will be a challenge to fit in. That's complete honesty. Nap time is when I try to get all of my "attention-required" chores done, and I would have to put the runs into that time slot unless I did the jogging stroller thing and pushing a baby AND running for 2+ hours seems like it could be a special kind of torture. Who knows though, maybe by then I'll be used to it from the shorter runs? If it ever cools off. Ugh. OH! And we just found out from our neighbor that we have a large black bear in the area. Super.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter