The Running Thread - 2020

Has anybody learned about a race being canceled in a newspaper by declaration of a city official while hearing nothing from the race organizers (Rock’n’Roll)? Not that I was surprised that it is not happening, no request for permit was ever filed for it this year. Makes me review my priorities on what to look for when shopping for a race: How they treat the participants prior to, during and in absence of a race.

WTC, the company that runs the Ironman and RnR events, is notoriously bad at customer service, and even worse these days. The Omani government told the local director of a half Ironman in September the race will not be allowed to be held, but there’s been absolute silence from Ironman themselves. Not much we can do except vote with our wallets and enter races by more responsive companies.

Has anybody learned about a race being canceled in a newspaper by declaration of a city official while hearing nothing from the race organizers (Rock’n’Roll)? Not that I was surprised that it is not happening, no request for permit was ever filed for it this year. Makes me review my priorities on what to look for when shopping for a race: How they treat the participants prior to, during and in absence of a race.

Rock'n'Roll is not a good company. I've had more bad experiences than good.

• One year they opened registration for the Cleveland race and after months of registrations and not long before the race weekend they moved the race from Saturday to Sunday (or vice versa). They blamed the city but that just tells me they didn't get their permits hammered out in advance. I'm local but anyone that planned a trip now likely had hotel issues.
  • The following year the same race was cancelled after they already took registrations and after adding it to a multi-race series with Chicago. I signed up for Chicago only because of the chance to do both races and they weren't refunding Chicago when they cancelled Cleveland.
  • They announced the Pittsburgh race, opened registration, and then just cancelled it again blaming the city.
I did enjoy the Country Music and Philadelphia halves but that's it. The Phily race was a race they took over so it isn't even originally theirs. Most cities with an RnR even also have another race, I'd recommend the other race if it is a place you want to run.

I don't have data from June because I haven't actually been syncing my Garmin to the app. Hopefully it hasn't lost any of the data I've been failing to collect from it.

Unless their lower end watches have very little memory you should be fine. Even my 305 back in the day had enough memory for a few months worth of recording before it started to overwrite. My 945 keeps a year.

July is “racing” away and I haven’t posted June numbers yet! Despite COVID, I was able to have my month-long Florida beach trip, so there were lots of early, hot, humid beach runs. I didn’t go shorter, but I did run slower. Most run were done on the Galloway 30:30 plan.

Miles: 105.4
Pace: 12:06

Yesterday was my first run of my new @DopeyBadger training plan. Although this is the 4th plan he has done for me over the last three years, there is always something new, exiting, and motivating to start a new plan. I'm preparing for my next "A" race, the Run the Bluegrass HM in Lexington, KY with its new date of October 3rd.

I know there was a fairly large runDisney group planning on running before the postponment. Is there anyone here on the Boards still planning to run it?

Funny how conversation comes up about Rock n roll marathon. I was wondering if anyone heard any news about their Philadelphia run in September.

Yesterday was my first run of my new @DopeyBadger training plan. Although this is the 4th plan he has done for me over the last three years, there is always something new, exiting, and motivating to start a new plan. I'm preparing for my next "A" race, the Run the Bluegrass HM in Lexington, KY with its new date of October 3rd.

I know there was a fairly large runDisney group planning on running before the postponment. Is there anyone here on the Boards still planning to run it?
Live in Lexington and planning to run the rescheduled date. Keeping fingers crossed it can go off as planned.

Mild panic is setting in as I realize I am on my last pair of shoes and have zero interest in (and limited opportunities for) in-person shopping. So, here I am asking you all: Has anyone moved from the Brooks Adrenaline GTS 19s to the 20s? I hated the 18s and cannot deal with that sort running pain again in my lifetime.

Funny how conversation comes up about Rock n roll marathon. I was wondering if anyone heard any news about their Philadelphia run in September.
Philadelphia and Montreal RnR are scheduled for the same dates. On the RnR website, they are also at the exact same state: Registration is suspended, no updates whatsoever. From what I read on the web, even for the races that RnR cancelled, participants are left in total darkness, no email and no response to emails! All that they get is: « Participants that are registered for the event will receive an email with further details. If you have additional questions, please contact.... unresponsive mailbox ».
The Montreal city representatives have announced that the races will not be happening. I cannot find anything similar for Philadelphia. Good luck!

Mild panic is setting in as I realize I am on my last pair of shoes and have zero interest in (and limited opportunities for) in-person shopping. So, here I am asking you all: Has anyone moved from the Brooks Adrenaline GTS 19s to the 20s? I hated the 18s and cannot deal with that sort running pain again in my lifetime.

I recently changed from the Brooks Ghost 12 to the Adrenaline GTS 20 without trying them on. I haven't had any problems. Not what you asked, but possibly mildly helpful

Just saw this today........Beat the Blerch has gone virtual. I'm not really a virtual race person, but since it's The Oatmeal, I may consider it. Plus, I love the X Murder Hornets, ✓ Cake on the sleeve and the medal has pizza and cake that swing into the Blerch's mouth!

I will ignore the fact that I am not running and hope that by end of September I will be.

https://www.beattheblerch.com/blerc...XAtJ3UIcxlRf64M9JpPgEWRsJ03D1XKd2eOhcKqSFMGB8

Philadelphia and Montreal RnR are scheduled for the same dates. On the RnR website, they are also at the exact same state: Registration is suspended, no updates whatsoever. From what I read on the web, even for the races that RnR cancelled, participants are left in total darkness, no email and no response to emails! All that they get is: « Participants that are registered for the event will receive an email with further details. If you have additional questions, please contact.... unresponsive mailbox ».
The Montreal city representatives have announced that the races will not be happening. I cannot find anything similar for Philadelphia. Good luck!

same for san diego. i'm getting all sorts of emails from other races i've entered but nothing from them at all. methinks my registration fee has gone goodbye.

We have a local half down in Amish Country. I have been keeping an eye on it since it is probably the best case scenario for an in person half and it isn't until the end of October. It is small in size, in the middle of nowhere (you are running on farm roads in Amish Country the entire time), and the start and finish is in a large area that would be easy to socially distance without much trouble. Yesterday they decided to cancel. When that happened I accepted that in person half marathons won't be run in 2020. I'm sure there will be small exceptions here and there but I don't think W&D will happen.

At this point I am hanging my racing hat on some trail races with staggered starts in the fall and maybe in person racing back for Christmas. There are two local Christmas runs that have become traditions and if the numbers are favorable I'd do them if I could. Sigh.

If they are available in Prime Wardrobe you can get your normal size and 1/2 size in either direction. I did that with some hiking shoes. Beyond that some of the local running stores around here are allowing for curbside pickup and an at home try on period. Lastly, sites like Zappos usually have good return policies as long as you just wear the shoes inside a bit.

Just saw this today........Beat the Blerch has gone virtual. I'm not really a virtual race person, but since it's The Oatmeal, I may consider it. Plus, I love the X Murder Hornets, ✓ Cake on the sleeve and the medal has pizza and cake that swing into the Blerch's mouth!

Also not a virtual race person (Full confession: signed up for the virtual Peachtree. Full confession negation: went down and ran it). That bling is so cool, I'm considering...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter