The Running Thread - 2020

June 2020 totals
Distance: 138km (86 mi)
Average pace: 5m56s/km (9m34s/mi)
2020km family challenge: 1450km so far

Mid-June was week one of a 16 weeks Marathon training plan, hence the lowish running volume. The original goal when I registered to Marathon du Petit Train du Nord (a fast, straight and continuous descending course) was to attempt BQ with a margin to run Boston 2022. Ottawa in May was supposed to be part of the assessment and progression towards that goal. I went into maintenance mode at the beginning of April, and now, I realize that I was chasing an utopia in the actual circumstances. I need to revise my objectives, paces and plan, especially since the race organizers haven’t been in position to announce whether it will happen or not.

Also important to me is remaining available for anyone wanting to run with me... Like the other day when I was coming back from hill training with a neighbour at 8AM, DH declares that he is going running after breakfast and DD12 wants to tag along while DD14 states that she wants to go running later in the day. Three training runs later, I declined the offer of a local club to come and try them out that evening! 2020km in 2020 is happening for this family!

Another big mentality shift happened when NYRR cancelled and I decided that 2023 would likely be when I would be running the New York Marathon. Running became a long term commitment: I have to be in shape to run that distance almost 3.5 years from now! Puts certain short terms decisions in perspective. And, warning, this thread should ear from me for a looooong time!

I took a look at my monthly miles for March, April, May, and June this year compared to the same months last year and what a difference a quarantine makes. My distance and number of runs are both about double last year but my pace is more than a minute slower. I'm not surprised with either. Being home means I can shoot out at lunch to do a run and even though gyms and pools are open I am not willing to go to either yet so all my workouts are runs. With no races I'm just concentrating on base miles so there is a double blow to the speed. No races to bring down the average and base training is slow anyway.

Miles for June - 12
This was a 50% increase over May. However, I have been focusing on strength training and barre workouts more while home. I have actually done some type of activity almost every day, just not running.

I am hoping to up my running over the next few months especially into the Fall. Just found out that we are returning to the office at the earliest January 2021 (could be pushed till May) so I should have plenty of time for fall activities.

June 2020 Training Summary

Running duration = 6:59 hours
Running mileage = 42.9 miles
Average Pace = 9:47 min/mile (about 3.25 min/mile slower than estimated LT)
Average HR = 132 (67% HRR)
Indoor Cycling duration = 21:35 hours
Indoor Cycling mileage = 346 miles
Indoor Cycling average power = 161 watts
Indoor Cycling average Normalized Power = 169 watts
Strength = 4:50 hours
Total Training Time = 33:25 hours

Well as good as May was with a new mile PR, June wasn't what I was hoping for. I was hoping to get in a few more mile time trial attempts to see if I could lower the PR even further. But the nagging issue I was having with my upper left leg/back wasn't resolving with the PT exercises. In fact, it got worse. So the PT and I decided that I should take one week off from running and then return very slowly. I decided to take two weeks instead of one. The good news is that the issue did mostly resolve during this time off and we've narrowed it down to core weakness and hamstring hypomobility.

When I returned to running, I used that as an opportunity to run with my daughter and wife. We ran a few times during the month using 30/30 run/walk intervals. The first time we did it, my daughter shot off like crazy fast (sub-8) and within a few minutes of 30/30 was paying for it dearly with a side cramp. So we instilled in her the mindset of train slow to race fast and she's mostly bought into it. So now we go nice and easy. Our run is around an 11 min/mile and average pace around a 14-15 min/mile. So the 30/30 is working out well for her since she ran the kid's mile in Jan 2020 in 17:10 and agrees that this has been much easier. We've been doing somewhere between 1-1.5 miles every once in a while.

For me, I'm enjoying the downtime in training and getting ready to ramp things back up. June 2020 represented the least amount of training I've done in a month (33 hours) since last June 2019. I'm training towards the Madison HM/M in November. It probably won't happen, but if it doesn't then I'll just do a time trial instead. If the fitness is in a good place, then I'll go for the M. If not, then I'll go with the HM. I detailed the training plan in my journal (link). I'm always trying to learn from my past and continue to grow as a runner. And I feel this next training plan is just another step in honing in on me perfecting my craft.

June Training Summary
Total Miles: 62.0 miles
Total Time: 9:47:07
Average Pace: 9:28/mi
Average HR: 139/min

Less miles than last month... but we were on vacation for a week in the Outer Banks, so I only got three runs in that week. Hopefully, I'll start increasing miles again this month.

June total: 47 miles

At the end of May, I vowed I would run more miles in June...well I did, but only by one mile! :P Oh well, I'll take it. We got the go ahead here in MI to play baseball, so much of my time for June & July is with my son's travel baseball team. August looks a little quieter, so I plan to start ramping up my running then so I'll be somewhat prepared if any of the 5 races I'm signed up for happens. I'm still doing quite a bit of cross training, so I'm hoping that will help with overall fitness.

June Running Totals
Miles - 67.74
Time - 11:56:36
Avg HR - 155
Avg Pace - 10:34

I have been slowly losing mileage over the past few months - I blame the heat and humidity. If I'm not out by 7am, a run isn't getting done. I do have a treadmill, but I don't want to use it until I really have to.

I have still been consistently doing 4 runs/week, but they have been shortening in length.

And you know, doing the COVID working at home thing with two young kids.

LIIFT4

I started a new round of LIIFT4, but I'm mainly doing the strength training and ab exercises and not so much the HIIT, except on specific days.

I think I did 10 LIIFT4 workouts last month - skipping two HIIT days.

My June total was 51.75 miles, which was more than I expected (but only because I didn't bother to add things up in advance--all my runs were per a "plan" that I cobbled together from past training plans). June was my first full month back from injuries and a minor (non-running related) surgery. My plan is to slowly ramp up the miles 1-2 miles per week from 10 miles/week at the beginning of June to the point where I'm going approximately 28-30 miles/week by the end of August, at which point I plan to run a 10-K time trial and then ask @DopeyBadger for a real training plan to get me prepped for the Half Marathon that is run in conjunction with the Houston Marathon in January 2021.

And from there--Onto the Star Wars Rival Run weekend if I can get bibs!

June Miles: 86.3
2020 Miles: 489.1

On June 9th I began my first @DopeyBadger plan! The plan is for a local half marathon in mid-August, my last opportunity for a new PoT for Marathon Weekend. While the race is still a go, things aren’t looking good. But, I did sign up for a virtual half marathon the same weekend. So, if my race is cancelled or postponed I can use the virtual race to gauge fitness.

I am really liking my DB plan so far! The variety of paces and intervals makes training more fun and I think it will help prevent the overuse injuries that have been an issue for me during previous marathon training cycles. I’m looking forward to seeing the results!

After a strong May, I wasn't as dedicated to things in June and my mileage slipped a bit. Still on track with my year goals though. A bit of a breather might have been a good idea but now I have to get back into the routine as the summer slog has begun in full force.

June Stats:
127 miles
69 miles with Barkley (Golden Retriever)
Average Pace: 9:56
Average HR: 149

This marks 42 months in a row of 100+ miles for me, but that statistic is probably coming to an end pretty soon. If you follow me on Strava or Instagram, you've probably noticed a decrease in my paces and there is a reason for that. We are expecting a little boy in mid October! I was actually 7 weeks pregnant when I ran my marathon PR back in March, so I think this little guy is definitely going to be a runner. 😊

June Stats:
127 miles

This marks 42 months in a row of 100+ miles for me, but that statistic is probably coming to an end pretty soon. If you follow me on Strava or Instagram, you've probably noticed a decrease in my paces and there is a reason for that. We are expecting a little boy in mid October! I was actually 7 weeks pregnant when I ran my marathon PR back in March, so I think this little guy is definitely going to be a runner. 😊
View attachment 505923

Congratulations!!!

June Stats:
127 miles

View attachment 505923
I am in awe of you! Congratulations!! You, baby boy, and Barkley will make a great running team!

June stats - Running 83 miles, cycling 365 miles

Picked up a virtual challenge - running, swimming and cycling 520 miles (circumference of Lake Norman, man made lake just north of Charlotte, NC) from July 1 to Sept 30th. Signed up yesterday as an individual with a goal of 2x in 90 days.

Thanks! And yes, they put on great races! You must be somewhat local to run the Leprechaun Chase yearly- awesome! I've done the Halfsy and a 10 miler and both were so well organized. I would love to do one of the M2M events one day too.

Ya I am in the Lincoln area.

I did one M2M with on a company team. It was a fun day sitting in a smelly van with short bouts of running :). I would like to do it again, but maybe with friends instead of coworkers (who are my friends, but its a different dynamic). I didn't stick around for the after party either which may have made a difference.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter