The Running Thread - 2020

November 2020

running: 68.5 mi
average pace: 12:22 min/mi
total time: 14.1h h

This is less than half of the mileage I got in November. That's because I had my in-person marathon on Nov. 8. After that, I took a week off from running and then I've only been running about three times per week as I recover.

tennis: 12 h

This is up a bit from last month, but seems to be my "new normal" during the pandemic. I have a few indoor matches and can only really play outside on the weekends now that it gets dark early.

walking: 88.1 mi

This is up from the previous two months. When I didn't want to run after my marathon, I walked! It sure doesn't get the same calorie burn or step count, though.

November Running:
Distance: 81.23 mi
Avg Pace: 11:56 min/mi

I ran a real-life, in-person half marathon the first Saturday in November, then took almost a week off. Then I started my DopeyBadger plan for the virtual Princess. I didn't do any kind of race report for that half because I strategized so poorly on every dimension: pace, hydration, nutrition. It was a flukey 70+ degree day in November and that, combined with stupidity, plus a little hubris, led to me completely bonking by mile 7. I never had that feeling before and certainly never that early in a race. Like the life sucked out of me. Even so, a terrible race is better than no in-person race and I was grateful to be out there.

I have some distance goals for the year in the absence of races, and I hit my first one: 2020km for the year, including running and "purposeful exercise" walking. So not daily steps but actual exercise walking miles. Next is the goal of 1000 miles of running only, which I should hit next week. Can't wait to turn the page on this year.

November Training Summary
Running Miles: 178.7 miles
Running Time: 27:46:14
Average Pace: 9:20/mi
Average HR: 132/min

So, I was hoping to have back-to-back months with over 200 miles of running, but it just wasn't to be. There were only three days this month when I didn't get out for a run, but there were many less two-a-days given that my wife and son reduced their running (since they completed the virtual Wine and Dine races earlier this month). Oh well, there's always December, right?

November Miles: 111.74
Avg. Pace: 11:30

This was fewer miles than last month, but at a faster pace. In November, the weather cooled, I completed a 13.1 training run (that’s all I need for the upcoming Marathon Weekend), and then I did a little speed work so that my Virtual Peachtree RR 10K time would look acceptable at 1:03:23.

November:
Total miles: 114.67
Avg pace: 8:57

Sticking to the same stroller-and-stop-to-look-for-deer runs as well as some runs with DH mixed in with my general short runs. Went to the local trail Thanksgiving morning for a quick run with the family and it was pretty crowded early. Then I noticed a lot of people were wearing the same Turkey Trot 5k shirt, so I guess they were using it for a virtual run. Finally polished off all the leftovers by myself after eating them for both lunch and dinner every day!

November:
Swim - 8300 yds
Bike 232 miles
Run 135 miles

Ramping up my run mileage training for my virtual Goofy attempt (hoping to get it done over New Years if the weather cooperates).
Question for you guys - how do you figure out your average pace for the month? I track my activities on Garmin and Strava.

November has been a pretty low-key training month. It started a little slowly, finishing up recovery from the NYC Virtual Marathon, and has been pretty steady and uneventful since I transitioned right into my training plan for the Virtual Dopey. It has been a little bit of a struggle with the time change, though. Going from warm to hot runs in the evening daylight to cold (for me) runs in total darkness is always a tough, motivation-sapping transition. As always, the runs (and walks now, with the CRAW) are the important thing and the mileage continues to add up to what will be a huge calendar year PR:

November Training Summary
Running Miles: 160.43
Running Time: 27:15:21
Average Pace: 10:10/mi
Average HR: 145/min
2020 Total Running Miles: 1684.53 (New annual PR with 1 mo left in the year!)
Rolling 12mo Running Miles: 1,770.57 (New PR!)

Extra
Walking Miles: 61.15

November Totals:

73 miles
13:44 average pace
11:38:24 Cross Training hours

Other news:
- 27.6 lbs lost
- 9:10 1 mile PR! - by 46 seconds
- 1,000+ miles for 2020 - another PR! - This is active running/walking miles. I'm not counting my everyday steps. I know some do and that is awesome. For now, I choose to only count intentional run/walk miles.

November 2020 Training Summary

Running duration = 4:22 hours
Running mileage = 32.2 miles
Average Pace = 8:08 min/mile (about 68 sec/mile slower than estimated Marathon Tempo)
Average HR = 136 (12 bpm lower than Marathon Pace)
Indoor Cycling duration = 15:45 hours
Indoor Cycling mileage = 271 miles
Indoor Cycling average power = 163 watts
Indoor Cycling average Normalized Power = 166 watts
Strength = 3:08 hours
Total Training Time = 23:15 hours

November 4th represented the highs and lows of running. Less than 2.5 weeks from my marathon time trial and things were going well as I entered peak week. The run itself on November 4th was a 75 min cycle at Half Ironman Tempo + 40 min run at Half Marathon Tempo. The run never felt comfortable and I wasn't able to maintain my normal 6:42 pace. But I was living around Marathon Tempo instead, so I could live with it. It was a bit of a grinder, but I knew that come race day things weren't always going to come easy. After it was over, I got the good news. My Garmin VO2max gave a value of 59. Since Feb 2017 when I got this watch and changed the settings, I've only ever hit 59 a total of 6 times in the last 167 weeks. So I was now in top 3.6% for personal fitness levels. And since my past race performances have been correlated under ideal conditions to this value, I was feeling good. I was predicting a 3:01:30 to 3:10:30, and probably closer to 3:01:30 since I was expecting sub-40 degree WI days in November for the time trial. But as I was walking home, the lows of running began. At first my ankle felt uncomfortable, then it felt like "hmm something might be wrong", and by the time I made it back to the house it felt like "oh no what have I done". No great answers as to why it happened. Ended up putting myself in an ankle brace for a few days because I could barely walk. Took me almost a week to walk normally. Tried running again after 10 days but didn't make it more than 5 seconds. Tried again after 21 days and was able to run but can tell something is still not quite right. A bummer for sure. But thankful it was just a time trial I was aiming for and the true intent of this training plan was a proof of concept. I think I proved that the methodology worked. So now just a few tweaks to see if I can manage not to get hurt again. The plan itself was fun, and at the end of the day I do this for fun and health. So I enjoyed myself over the 23 weeks of the plan.

Question for you guys - how do you figure out your average pace for the month? I track my activities on Garmin and Strava.

I go to Garmin Connect. Click on "Reports". Click on "Progress Summary". Change to the correct month, and then "Running". I then divide the total time spent running by the mileage in Excel. That will give me the min/mile average pace.

I go to Garmin Connect. Click on "Reports". Click on "Progress Summary". Change to the correct month, and then "Running". I then divide the total time spent running by the mileage in Excel. That will give me the min/mile average pace.

@BigEeyore , even easier on Garmin Connect: Click on "Reports" then "Running" from the vertical list. Change your time period across the top of the graph to "1 year". Then choose the statistic you want from the vertical list, such as "average pace". The graph will then display your average pace for each month - hover over a point to get the exact value. No math needed. :)

@BigEeyore , even easier on Garmin Connect: Click on "Reports" then "Running" from the vertical list. Change your time period across the top of the graph to "1 year". Then choose the statistic you want from the vertical list, such as "average pace". The graph will then display your average pace for each month - hover over a point to get the exact value. No math needed. :)

Nice, had not noticed that one before.

November 2020 totals
Distance: 184.7km (115mi)
Average pace: 6m28s/km (10’24”/mi)

This month, I followed my training plan with more frequent and slower runs which means that I ended up with my biggest number of runs (31) ever.

I started with my Day of the Death Virtual Half (unofficial PR!) and finished with my Cider Miler (ok, let’s call it a learning and humbling experience). I did not try any new nutrition flavours and I hope that they won’t go bad before I use them.

December is full of challenges: I have a DopeyBadger plan including two time trials to try to beat my PR, I registered to the CMTR Winter Scavenger Hunt (23 runs over two months) and I try to do the JustMove Advent Calendar whose runs also count towards their Woodsman Challenge. So basically some runs are counting for five different things so it requires some planning! I will try to match Egg Nog drinking laps with easy runs instead of real interval training 😂

Last edited:
So my monthly totals for the last two months were a little different and I lost my 45 month streak of 100+ miles, but it was for a great reason. 😊

We welcomed Declan Charles on 10/12/2020 and have spent the last two months loving on him. I went into labor 3 hours after running 3 miles on the treadmill and those were my final miles of October. I am hoping to start running again soon, but have just been walking since he was born. Below he is sporting the medal he earned "running" the Snickers Marathon on 3/7/2020! I hope you are all doing well as we finish this crazy year!
typorama.pngIMG_1076.jpg

November Totals:

Total Miles - 122.56 mi
Total Time - 17:34:34 h:m:s
Average Pace - 8:36
Avg HR - 141 bpm
hiking/walking/biking - ~50m

quick month, not really sure where it went. We did 3 campouts over the past month to 3 new state parks for us, and that really helped the mindset of the family.

Edit to add: Smashrun gives me the Avg Pace. Could not figure out how to get it from Garmin Connect before today!

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter