• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Running Thread - 2019

I've been wearing Brooks Launches for going on 3 years now. Luckily my foot liked the 5's as much as the 4's but I'm on my last pair when I stocked last time from a sale. The good thing is this shoe at full cost is always $100. So on sale is usually $55-75. I hope my foot like the version 6's too as the options for 5's on sale in my size are dwindling.

This wasn't a question...just an overshare :) Yay shoe-talk!

Does anyone have a suggestion for cross trainers? I wear Brooks Adrenalines for running, but I think they’re too sturdy for my HIIT workouts.

Does anyone have a suggestion for cross trainers? I wear Brooks Adrenalines for running, but I think they’re too sturdy for my HIIT workouts.

I wear Nike Free TR and Inov-8 F-Lites for cross training.

I've been wearing Brooks Launches for going on 3 years now. Luckily my foot liked the 5's as much as the 4's but I'm on my last pair when I stocked last time from a sale. The good thing is this shoe at full cost is always $100. So on sale is usually $55-75. I hope my foot like the version 6's too as the options for 5's on sale in my size are dwindling.

I've been running in the Launch 6 lately for short runs and am really liking it! I like it much better than the 5, which felt sloppy through the midfoot to me. I find the fit of the 6 closer to the 4, but with a bit more, and slightly firmer, cushion underneath.

July Totals:

Running: 114 miles
Average Pace: 9:36
Total Elevation Gain: 11,419 ft
Steps: 464,831

Posting this now, as tomorrow is an off day for me. We're leaving tomorrow, headed for Bradenton, FL for my 40th high school reunion. How the F did that happen?

Pace is a little up, breaking the downward trend, but to be expected due to T+D going up. I'm repeating my @DopeyBadger marathon plan for the 3rd time, with no end game in mind. I'm really getting my "money's" worth out of that plan.

Life Update #1: Lightning Strike:

We had a lightning strike on July 5th. It took out:
DSL modem/router
2 Ethernet switches
2 TVs
1 Roku
1 Streaming DVD player
2 satellite boxes and the dish
1 PC and the Ethernet port on another
Portable phone

It took about 3 weeks, multiple service calls, data recovery service, and lots of rewiring/reinstalling stuff to recover.

Total cost was around $1500, which isn't too bad. Technology is so cheap now, it's like $4000 worth of stuff got destroyed, but it costs less than half that to replace it.

We also used it as a chance to upgrade our technology:
2 bigger Roku TVs replaced the old dumb ones
Upgraded (for free) DSL from 6 Mbps to 16
Upgraded WIFI from 2.4 GHz to dual band 2.4/5
Added a wireless access point to add WIFI coverage to the half of our house that didn't have it
Upgraded alarm system to cellular monitoring, instead of landline
We may ditch the landline, now that we don't need it for the alarm system. (I know: what's a landline?)

Oddly enough, I enjoy trouble-shooting, crawling around under desks, and getting all this stuff to work.

Life update #2: Our new family member:

From left to right: Mikey, Sadie, Bert. The odd thing in front of Mikey is a cypress knee.

Bert and Sadie are the existing cats. They're not siblings, but act like it. They beat each other up, but then cuddle up and go to sleep.

Mikey is the new guy. I don't know why he's Mikey, except it has something to do with the 'Mikey likes it' Life cereal commercial.

We swore we'd never get a 3rd cat. Then this stray shows up. For about 2 months, he'd spy on us from afar. We finally coaxed him up on the front porch and started feeding him. Then we had to have him fixed/checked out. We didn't want him to have to fend for himself in his weakened state, so we put him on the back screened-in porch. Then we realized he was litter-box savvy, so we let him into the house.
We called around and none of the no-kill shelters had any room. So what do you do? Now we're a 3 cat house. It went well for the first couple of weeks, but then his grace period was over and the existing cats got meaner and we started have 'incidents'. At this point, Mikey is family, so we'll work through it.

Part of what got Mikey in was his coloration. Sadie is a calico with a symmetrical mask and white below the waterline. Bert is a tabby. Mikey has a symmetrical mask and is also white below the waterline. His colored parts are tabby. He's the perfect morph of the 2 existing cats.

If you made it this far, thanks for reading.

@OldSlowGoofyGuy you are showing your age both with the 40 year hs reunion (seriously you don't look that old) and then the reference to "Mikey likes it" life cereal commercial. I still reference that commercial, and it makes me feel old.

Great job on the rewiring of the house and ditching the land line. I think we would die, we are still using my laser printer i bought in 1999 for a LOT of money, if i do have to replace it am sure the cost will be $75. The real issue is the printer server. We bought it to make the printer wireless, the printer plus into the server via old school serial post. No way i will find something to replace that.

Love the new addition to the family. Hopefully soon everyone will get a long.

I have two different pairs of the Launch 6 and I like one more than the other. It's weird.

July Totals:

Running: 114 miles
Average Pace: 9:36
Total Elevation Gain: 11,419 ft
Steps: 464,831

Posting this now, as tomorrow is an off day for me. We're leaving tomorrow, headed for Bradenton, FL for my 40th high school reunion. How the F did that happen?

Pace is a little up, breaking the downward trend, but to be expected due to T+D going up. I'm repeating my @DopeyBadger marathon plan for the 3rd time, with no end game in mind. I'm really getting my "money's" worth out of that plan.

Life Update #1: Lightning Strike:

We had a lightning strike on July 5th. It took out:
DSL modem/router
2 Ethernet switches
2 TVs
1 Roku
1 Streaming DVD player
2 satellite boxes and the dish
1 PC and the Ethernet port on another
Portable phone

It took about 3 weeks, multiple service calls, data recovery service, and lots of rewiring/reinstalling stuff to recover.

Total cost was around $1500, which isn't too bad. Technology is so cheap now, it's like $4000 worth of stuff got destroyed, but it costs less than half that to replace it.

We also used it as a chance to upgrade our technology:
2 bigger Roku TVs replaced the old dumb ones
Upgraded (for free) DSL from 6 Mbps to 16
Upgraded WIFI from 2.4 GHz to dual band 2.4/5
Added a wireless access point to add WIFI coverage to the half of our house that didn't have it
Upgraded alarm system to cellular monitoring, instead of landline
We may ditch the landline, now that we don't need it for the alarm system. (I know: what's a landline?)

Oddly enough, I enjoy trouble-shooting, crawling around under desks, and getting all this stuff to work.

Life update #2: Our new family member:

View attachment 421454

From left to right: Mikey, Sadie, Bert. The odd thing in front of Mikey is a cypress knee.

Bert and Sadie are the existing cats. They're not siblings, but act like it. They beat each other up, but then cuddle up and go to sleep.

Mikey is the new guy. I don't know why he's Mikey, except it has something to do with the 'Mikey likes it' Life cereal commercial.

We swore we'd never get a 3rd cat. Then this stray shows up. For about 2 months, he'd spy on us from afar. We finally coaxed him up on the front porch and started feeding him. Then we had to have him fixed/checked out. We didn't want him to have to fend for himself in his weakened state, so we put him on the back screened-in porch. Then we realized he was litter-box savvy, so we let him into the house.
We called around and none of the no-kill shelters had any room. So what do you do? Now we're a 3 cat house. It went well for the first couple of weeks, but then his grace period was over and the existing cats got meaner and we started have 'incidents'. At this point, Mikey is family, so we'll work through it.

Part of what got Mikey in was his coloration. Sadie is a calico with a symmetrical mask and white below the waterline. Bert is a tabby. Mikey has a symmetrical mask and is also white below the waterline. His colored parts are tabby. He's the perfect morph of the 2 existing cats.

If you made it this far, thanks for reading.

Glad to see Mikey join you! We are also a 3-cat family. When my first and only cat died, DH and I agreed we should get two kittens so that they could entertain each other. We went to a foster home for a local rescue organization and a young mother cat had a litter of three. We couldn't take any kittens yet, because they were too young, but on the way home I was trying to decide which two we would adopt. DH says, "Who are you kidding? We're getting all three. We couldn't leave one behind." Yep. So three from there on.

They are siblings, but don't get along at all. Kali (black) on the left is the smallest and gets picked on. Rascal (gray tabby center) is the boss, mostly because he just does what he wants and is oblivious to anyone else. Zathras (gray right) is actually biggest, but too neurotic to be the boss. This was from 2009 - we got them in 2007. They are still doing well today, but neurotic Zathras is on kitty prozac.

July running totals - 133km for the month, best month all year and great to be running regularly again.

I have been able to start up again my Strava Heatmap road colouring in - following from Rickey Gates running every single street in San Francisco last year I'm seeing how many of Auckland's streets I can run. Below is a photo of my progress:

for context, the black sqare was my 10km run on the weekend, so I have lots to do, plus there are sketchy parts I will stay well away from. Having fun so far and without a race it helps provide some motivation. The redder areas are from my usual runs around home, for the Every Single Street runs I am having to drive.

ETA in 20 minutes the clock rolls to 7am EST on FASTPASS DAY!!! Slightly stressed at the moment, it's 11pm and I stayed up late last night too as I had the day wrong. Please wish me SDD, FOP and 7DMT luck.

July 2019 totals
Distance: 167.5 km (104 mi)
Time: 17h 45m
Average pace: 6m22s/km (10m12s/mi)

I don’t totally trust these numbers because of Apple Watch/iPhone/NRC issues but they are in the right ball park. Definitely one of my biggest volume month if not the biggest. I slowed down a bit compared to last year but that is in line with my objectives of increasing distance (first Marathon coming up then Dopey) versus speed. DD training is going ok, not stellar but not terrible either. Looking forward to seeing how our next weekend race goes. California here we come! Also, I am seeing the effects of not cross training and being hungry from running, especially on the scale. Making a mental note to shed a few pounds that I do not particularly feel like carrying for 42.2km.

July Totals:
Total Miles - 96.80 mi
Total Time - 14:14:01
Average Pace - 8.50/mi
Avg HR - 145

Not surprising, since I took the 1st 8 days of the month off to finish off our road-trip. So with 16 days of no running, it took a while for the HR to come back down some trying to run in the heat and humidity of Houston. Several runs I just cut short due to not feeling it. I may have hit 100 if I had not done that...oh well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter