• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Running Thread - 2019

ATTQOTD: 6-way tie???

I was pretty excited/surprised when my husband and daughter surprised me with dunkin donuts at the finish line of a half marathon that I had no idea they would be at. But that's more about me liking my family and donuts.

My first time running around world showcase.

Seeing the average pace on @DopeyBadger's watch at the finish line when I raced "blind" with him. Sorry for pushing you, I was in shock!

Realizing I'd PR'd my 10k during my very first 15k and feeling like I was having a special race.

Spotting my husband 7 times during the Chicago marathon and then crying like a baby up the final hill to the finish.

All the moments running inside the park during my first half at Tink.

Every post-race beer.

QOTD: Tell us about your favorite part (most memorable) of a race (possibly outside of the Disney bubble) that you have done.
ATTQOTD: I try not to run races outside of WDW lol! ;) First place has to go to the Osborne Lights during the 2014 W&W Half - AKA Splash & Dash. The rain let up for a few minutes just as I got there and it was absolutely beautiful! I walked slowly though, stopping for a few pictures, and enjoyed every soggy moment. ♥

Second place goes to Disco Tunnel, may it RIP, with my favorite Disco Tunnel experience being in my first marathon.

ATTQOTD: I have two moments that are memorable both outside of disney.

First one was the Chicago Marathon in Oct 2018, being at mile 24 and feeling like death, telling myself I have to keep going I don't want to do this again (trying for the BQ). Also during that race being being at mile 25.2, i was desperately looking for the mile 25 sign and when I saw the sign it said 1 mile to go. I was like really 1 mile, I am past 25. I turned it all on to finish within BQ.

Second one was in my first ultra 50k. It was on a trail, a very hard and hilly trail. I walked all of mile 20 to 26 and thought there is no way I will finish another 4 miles. I got to the aid station and the guy said only 4.2 miles to the finish and it is all pavement. The angels sang the Hallelujah Chorus, as I ran like heck to finish that race. I was over it I wanted to go home. However I was glad to run on pavement.

ATTQOTD: Hmm...most memorable. I have a number that come to mind.

The finish line of both my first half-marathon and first marathon. I definitely had a few tears in my eyes both times.

Then my most recent half, looking at my time with about 2 miles to go and seeing that there was a slight chance I could break 2 hours. I ended up missing it by 38 seconds, but my goal for that race was only to break my then PR of 2:09:xx.

And this one is technically after a race, but when I looked at my splits after a 5K back in April and saw that I had a mile where I had broken 8 minutes.

ATTQOTD: I have a few that come to mind:

1. Definitely the finish line of my first marathon last October. And all the moments during the race where my parents spectated. It was a goal I never thought I’d go after, and it was without a doubt the hardest thing I’ve ever done, but the feeling of finishing is indescribable.

2. The last few miles of my half marathon in April, when I came to the realization that I was going to set a major PR. It was completely unexpected that day but everything just fell into place and it turned into an awesome race.

3. High fiving @DopeyBadger during the stretch to the finish during a half marathon in October 2017!

Tell us about your favorite part (most memorable) of a race (possibly outside of the Disney bubble) that you have done.
In random order:

2018 San Francisco Giant Race Half Marathon. This was my first non Disney race. I was physically prepared and ended up PRing that day, but was not mentally ready at all so the race felt like a death march. I remember being stunned as I calculated each mile in my head and realized that in spite of everything I might still PR. While the race was miserable, getting to be on the field and in the Giants dugout after the race was such an incredible thrill. It helped wipe out most of my memories from that race.

2015 Star Wars Rebel Challenge. I finally got my dreamed of Star Wars race and was very excited to earn the Medal of Bravery from the original Star Wars movie inspired medal. This also marked my first back to back race weekend and though I didn't know it or really believe it at the time, the very beginning of the idea of eventually running the marathon even though it would be 3 more years before I began to seriously consider that idea.

2016 Star Wars Half. Mostly notable because I timed my playlist to play the end music from The Force Awakens and the Throne Room music at the end of the race, so I almost felt like I was really in Star Wars or something.

2017 Kessel Run. So this ultimately encompasses 4 different races, namely the Rebel Challenge and the Dark Side Challenge. I dreamed of that Falcon medal and had essentially trained for 18 months for those races because Dark Side training coincided with 10 hour days at least 6 days a week so I had to learn how to cope with high work stress and heavy training loads. In fact even after finishing 2019 Dopey, the Kessel Run medal remains my very favorite medal. And again though I didn't quite realize it at the time, another race experience where I had to do things I had once believed impossible in order to finish, namely training during the aforementioned 10 hours/6 days a week work schedule with none of that training occurring on the one day a week I had off.

2018 Star Wars Half Marathon. Running through World Showcase with Star Wars music playing over Epcot's PA system nearly moved me to tears because John Williams music is that amazing and the Epcot sound system is that powerful.

2019 Walt Disney World Marathon. My first marathon. Shortly after Wide World of Sports, I found small victories in the littlest things. A beloved movie on the mile marker or the construction on Galaxy's Edge as I could clearly see the spires of Batuu became monumental things to celebrate and helped me keep moving forward. Somewhere in this stretch I also realized that I absolutely hated the taste of powerade and water, but had to continue drinking it because I knew how important it was. Once I entered World Showcase I knew the finish line drew ever closer. I found the a kiosk in the Morocco Pavilion and proceeded to purchase the single greatest smoothie I have ever tasted in my entire life. It possessed the virtue of being 1) icy cold as opposed to not cold and 2) it tasted nothing like water or powerade. Shortly after this, Let's Go Fly a Kite came over the sound system and I began to feel like I was flying. This was either the elusive runners high or a hallucination. I finished the smoothie shortly after exiting World Showcase and happily proceeded to the finish.

In the words of Clark W. Griswold from National Lampoon's Vacation, I spent the rest of the day feeling like I would require plastic surgery to wipe the smile off my face.
Not sure what the Disney equivalent is (maybe getting out of WWOS?),
I think it was even later for me. Perhaps it was because it was my first marathon, but I think I started holding on for dear life somewhere in Wide World of Sports. While my mental preparation was sufficient for the entire race, it wasn't until I got to Hollywood Studios where I knew the rest of the course was extremely similar to the Dark Side 10K and Half finishes that the focus on just getting through this switched to almost there.
I try not to run races outside of WDW lol!
I've only run 2 races outside of Disney.
Actual video evidence:

giphy.gif
Anyone else here seen that classic Seinfeld episode The Race? The finale is one of their best ever. And that's saying something for a show like Seinfeld.

I know I have been quiet but had to post that quote. It’s just such a good one. I have been a little bummed lately. Everything hurts from knees to ankles and my shoulder probably needs surgery again. I am on vacation again next week and I am really hoping to try my first run with my bike as a back up plan to get re-motivated. It’s hard seeing everyone talk about goals and know I probably won’t be running anytime soon. :sad:

Well I've totally been sucked into the Galaxy's Edge Passholder watch thread. But yay! I got in! My husband, 10 month old and I are going for a quick 3 day trip.

I've also been dealing with a sore hamstring and pain in my knee. I think I'm going to take a couple of weeks off before I begin training for Wine and Dine. I may try some yoga.

So, my A Race of the year (an Oly tri) is this weekend - I've been working all season for this. But some real s#!t news this past weekend has pretty much put me in a position to bail on the whole thing. I'm not in a mental or emotional place for it, not to mention that I haven't really been sleeping at all since Monday and definitely not prepping and fueling the way I would need to at this point to be successful in the way I want to be going into Sunday.

Le sigh.

Anyone else here seen that classic Seinfeld episode The Race? The finale is one of their best ever. And that's saying something for a show like Seinfeld.

Now that Seinfeld and running has come up I’m thinking of The Hot Tub episode. Where Elaine had a runner (Jean-Paul?) staying with her for the New York Marathon. Jerry causes him to oversleep and then while Running he takes a cup from Krama to toss on himself to cool down, but instead of water it’s hot coffee.

I know I have been quiet but had to post that quote. It’s just such a good one. I have been a little bummed lately. Everything hurts from knees to ankles and my shoulder probably needs surgery again. I am on vacation again next week and I am really hoping to try my first run with my bike as a back up plan to get re-motivated. It’s hard seeing everyone talk about goals and know I probably won’t be running anytime soon. :sad:

Sorry to hear. Hope you can hang in there, and have a good run---even a short, slow one.

So, my A Race of the year (an Oly tri) is this weekend - I've been working all season for this. But some real s#!t news this past weekend has pretty much put me in a position to bail on the whole thing. I'm not in a mental or emotional place for it, not to mention that I haven't really been sleeping at all since Monday and definitely not prepping and fueling the way I would need to at this point to be successful in the way I want to be going into Sunday.

Le sigh.

Also sorry to hear. Hope you can do what you need to take care of yourself. It's hard to DNS a race when you've put in so much physical and mental energy, but sometimes it's the right thing to do.

Le sigh.

You are a strong person. Whatever you do on Sunday does not change that.
Virtual hugs and comfort being sent down south to you right now.

Yes, I spent a couple of months in that place you are in now. I am running again but before every run wonder, "what is going to hurt today?"

Answer to the memorable moment question:

I've told this one before but during my first HM, Tinker Bell 2015. I had heard that the Red Hat Ladies were going to be at the Disney exit before you head out into the Anaheim streets, but I did not know just how many of them there were going to be. I was picturing like maybe 20 or 30 ladies. There were SO MANY LADIES there! It was so awesome and overwhelming to come up to that corner and just see how many of them were out there cheering for us. I got super choked up. :o

Running has filled me with memorable times. I always say that after the birth of my children, finishing my first marathon was my greatest moment. Here are some random ones:

The last mile of my first marathon. Crossing the finish line was unbelievable, but it was during that last mile that I KNEW I was going to do it. Everything hurt beyond comprehension, but yet we are still driven to finish. Every moment of self doubt in my life disappeared during that mile.

Qualifying for Boston for the first time. I knew early in that race that it was happening. I was so focused and determined. I held on for all that I had and walked away with a 35 minute PR (which had been set just 6 months prior). After crossing that finish line, I felt invincible.

My first sub 3 hour marathon. I played runner's math the entire race and knew I could hit it with a decent margin if I hung on. I had to stop looking at the clocks on the course because they showed gun time and I knew it took me a couple minutes to get across the start line. Finished in 2:58:20.

PR'ing that same race (Boston) the following year with my kids there. 2:56:41.

Finishing 2nd in The Flying Pig Marathon 3 weeks after that. Hometown race, site of first marathon, and having my kids there. Perfection.

Finishing a 10k after not running for a few years due to rheumatoid arthritis. Those years of pain were some dark times and to be able to run again was magical.

As of now, I am learning to run again. I am very slow and lots of things hurt at different times. In a state of panic, I went to the orthopedic this week because I wanted an x-ray of my leg. It had been hurting in the spot of the break off and on. I needed to know I wasn't making this worse and possibly re-breaking it. No, it is healed. There is a large nerve that runs along that spot and this is what I am feeling. Not sure when that will go away or if this is my new norm.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter