The Running Thread - 2019

Also, I have a confession to make about candy... I do not like any form of Reese's. There I said it lol. In fact any candy with any type of nut is on my do not eat list. Not because I am allergic, I just dont like nuts. I also do not like any type of bean, red beans, white beans, black and even peas. I'm weird...
DirectMassiveGreyhounddog-size_restricted.gif

:rotfl2::rotfl2:

ATTQOTD: YES! Please jump in, lurkers!! I'll also say that I'm struggling A LOT with motivation to run and train right now. I've lost that loving feeling about running and not sure how to get it back. Right now I'm still just plugging along and not pushing things too much in the hopes my motivation reignites. We do have our Galloway group kick off meeting tomorrow night (Jeff Galloway will be there to speak) and then our first group run in a couple of weeks, so I'm hopeful that gets me excited again.

My theory is this: if you didn't want to do the 50 miler, you wouldn't have posted this.

But you did. Because you want to be talked into it.

Dance with the flirt.

I'll chime in with go ahead and switch to the 50 Miler. All your doing is converting from Metric to English. You aren't even changing the number. How much harder can it be? once you've run 30 miles what's 20 more?

In the immortal words of the goddess Nike: "Just Do It!"

Wait, what do you mean it was a different Nike that said that? :confused3

Just be ready for that rush when you hit 26 miles and think "wow, I just ran a marathon", followed by the inevitable crash when the thought continues to "but I'm only halfway!?!?" :scared1:

THIS!!!

Done and done.

One of the farmers I work with is an ultra runner, and said it’s not really too much different a training load than a full. Which got me thinking. So @LSUlakes lets change my my 50k on 11/16 to

11/16 Professor_Cookie, Dead Horse Ultra 50miler (Live/NA)

It’s 15 minute miles, how hard can it be?<sarcasm>

I'll also say that I'm struggling A LOT with motivation to run and train right now. I've lost that loving feeling about running and not sure how to get it back.
Yeah, I would say I lost mine almost a year ago when I finished my HM training cycle in mid-May. I slogged along through a brutally hot and even more brutally hilly/mountainous 15K in early June on really no training other than what I still had leftover from HM training, and then kinda coasted through on shorter runs until early-August and Beach to Beacon.

And since August, I have, counting yesterday, run a grand total of 3 times in a non-OTF capacity. I did one run last fall in like October or something. Then I did one run in February when I was supposed to be kicking off training for a 10K that was a little over a week ago. And... that was it until yesterday. I obviously did not run the 10K, but I am signed up for Wineglass HM in October again this year, so... I need to find that mojo again. I went out yesterday and slogged through just over 2 miles with my dog and then we finished up just walking back home. I didn't want to overexert her. :) Or me. ;)

ATTQOTD: I'll also say that I'm struggling A LOT with motivation to run and train right now. I've lost that loving feeling about running and not sure how to get it back.

This was me last year. After I did the LA Marathon in 2017 and had all the IT band issues, I didn't run for over a year. I did a 5 mile 4th of July run last year and then took my daughters to Disney World and it was my first time since the 2016 marathon and I remembered how much fun it was and decided I needed to push myself. And then I still struggled with the motivation. My longest training run ended up being 14 miles, and this was a 1-2 times a week run, not 4-5 days a week. So I went in fully prepared to fail and still managed to finish somehow. I decided that I was going to do Dopey and just knowing that has rekindled the motivation for me. But it was a huge struggle to get going again.

So I figured this was the best thread for this but I just HAD to shout it out, I got new shoes!! Probably no big deal to most of you) but I had been eyeing the Hokas since I started looking at running, then they had them at Expo and I regretted not trying them on, so this weekend I went to Fit2Run and tried on the Bondhi's (apparently i toe out and over pronate a little) but the Hoka rep was there and I tried three pairs (mine, Hokas and Brooks) on the treadmill and ultimately I knew I would end up with Hokas LOL They are awesome!! Super cushy. So i tried them for a mile on Sunday just because I couldn't wait to do so but today I used them for my real workout so to speak, I run an hour on the treadmill at the gym so just shy of 5 miles and they felt amazing! I want to give it a few more tries but I definitely think I felt better int he toe area, I tend to scrunch them up (even though my other shoes have space) but i purposely bought these even bigger or maybe because the shoe is wider but my toes did not have any issues.

Anyway SUPER happy and just had to shout it out to everyone!! ( everyone that listens at work too LOL) So technically these are my first pair of real running shoes although my current 6 pairs of underarmours (that i LOVE that model if you can't tell) really didn't bother me too much for running but I use them just for workouts and parks and stuff. So very happy, Slowly adding my little collection of running things. Last night I went back to the store and got a Nathan running belt. I have to add that the Hoka rep was very nice and helpful and didn't mind at all that I wanted to try other brands and help me fit to them. It was a very pleasant and unexpected visit to Fit2Run.

Oh and I also got Oofos since all of you rave about them. You guys are right, they are SUPER comfy!!

QOTD: Today I am calling all "lurkers" to join me. If you have been reading this thread any, it means you have some interest in starting running and I encourage you to start with me this week. I'll explain more in my answer. So the question for today is, if you are thinking about starting to run or have taken a extended period off and looking for motivation, then as the second version of the COP would say, "Now is the time...". Will you join me?

ATTQOTD: After halfway training for the WDW marathon and posting a 2+ hour personal worse and next to no running since, I decided to start over. Last night I started Couch to 5k, and I encourage those who are looking to start to download one of the many apps out there and start with me this week!

I'm in for this! I've been concentrating on my cycling in preparation for the Ride London 100 this summer, and really need to get my running going again. How many miles tomorrow? :)

ATYQOTD: I don't steal candy from my kid. I buy each of us our own favorites. Plus she likes garbage candy anyway. I am team Reese's in holiday shapes, they taste the best. I also love Snickers, Kit Kats, and peanut M&Ms.

ATTQOTD: My running pattern is such a rollercoaster. I can go weeks doing my best and staying on track, then get derailed one weekend and struggle to find my way back. I find myself constantly starting over in all aspects of my life.

So I figured this was the best thread for this but I just HAD to shout it out, I got new shoes!! Probably no big deal to most of you) but I had been eyeing the Hokas since I started looking at running, then they had them at Expo and I regretted not trying them on, so this weekend I went to Fit2Run and tried on the Bondhi's (apparently i toe out and over pronate a little) but the Hoka rep was there and I tried three pairs (mine, Hokas and Brooks) on the treadmill and ultimately I knew I would end up with Hokas LOL They are awesome!! Super cushy. So i tried them for a mile on Sunday just because I couldn't wait to do so but today I used them for my real workout so to speak, I run an hour on the treadmill at the gym so just shy of 5 miles and they felt amazing! I want to give it a few more tries but I definitely think I felt better int he toe area, I tend to scrunch them up (even though my other shoes have space) but i purposely bought these even bigger or maybe because the shoe is wider but my toes did not have any issues.

Anyway SUPER happy and just had to shout it out to everyone!! ( everyone that listens at work too LOL) So technically these are my first pair of real running shoes although my current 6 pairs of underarmours (that i LOVE that model if you can't tell) really didn't bother me too much for running but I use them just for workouts and parks and stuff. So very happy, Slowly adding my little collection of running things. Last night I went back to the store and got a Nathan running belt. I have to add that the Hoka rep was very nice and helpful and didn't mind at all that I wanted to try other brands and help me fit to them. It was a very pleasant and unexpected visit to Fit2Run.

Oh and I also got Oofos since all of you rave about them. You guys are right, they are SUPER comfy!!

I love the Bondis!

QOTD: Today I am calling all "lurkers" to join me. If you have been reading this thread any, it means you have some interest in starting running and I encourage you to start with me this week. I'll explain more in my answer. So the question for today is, if you are thinking about starting to run or have taken a extended period off and looking for motivation, then as the second version of the COP would say, "Now is the time...". Will you join me?
ATTQOTD: Last year at this time, I was a lurker. I joined the conversation for the first time last Spring because I was doing my first marathon in 2019 and had so many questions about what I had learned lurking. I encourage everyone thinking about joining in to do so. What I have learned in the last year just from this thread and asking questions has been invaluable and has made running/training for me even better and more enjoyable than before. So, thank you again to everyone. It is a great community with great people and no drama which is not always the case with online communities. (I am looking at you, Facebook running groups).

I'm in for this! I've been concentrating on my cycling in preparation for the Ride London 100 this summer, and really need to get my running going again. How many miles tomorrow? :)

It's timed base at the moment, but based on yesterdays outing on the TM, it came out to be about 2.35 miles. 5 min walk, and intervals of 60 second run and 90 second walk for 20 minutes (8 cycles if my math is correct) and a 5 min walk cool down. For experienced runners this is nothing, but for starting out this seems crazy. As a person who actually used the plan ~7 years ago when I first started running I recall it not being to bad and feel the same about it now. I'm actually looking forward to day 2 tomorrow. lol

But you did. Because you want to be talked into it.
Is that kind of like how I was destined to attempt the marathon once I put it out there that I was actually thinking about it instead of dismissing it every time I had a long training run?

Just be ready for that rush when you hit 26 miles and think "wow, I just ran a marathon", followed by the inevitable crash when the thought continues to "but I'm only halfway!?!?"
While never say never applies, it will take me a very long time before I even consider an ultramarathon.

ATTQOTD: To all the lurkers on this thread, jump in. Honestly, I ignored this thread for years because I told myself "I'm not a serious runner. I only participate in Disney races and even then I'm not very fast." But I jumped in anyways and am very glad I did. I learned so much more about running from this thread. Runners stories of triumph in the marathon and disappointment in the same event inspired me and eventually I registered for the Walt Disney World Marathon. And I will truthfully state that while stubborn persistence might have helped me finish my first marathon anyways, I believe that this community helped me learn enough so that first experience was truthfully fun so that even when I had to hang on for dear life, I was digging deeper to finish instead of getting through the death march.

Like, @LSUlakes I haven't run since marathon weekend. Professional demands became as intense as I expected them to and running before or after 10+ hour work days only happens when I have a race on the immediate horizon. I really want to get back to running this week because I want to do it and I have a half in September, marathon weekend next January, and Star Wars Rival Run next April.

ATTQOTD: Since the marathon in January, every week feels like I'm starting over. I don't think I've detailed everything on here, but it's been one thing after the other. I got the stomach flu on the way home from WDW, which then somehow evolved into a sinus or something infection. So I had the time off while sick, then just getting energy back and eating something other than rice or plain spaghetti, the time off really added up. I ended up not running until Feb 5th and I had some intense knee pain that for some reason never popped up in marathon training (I have a 20-year old injury, so pain isn't uncommon). I just took things slowly and did a few miles a week. During that time our dog was diagnosed with Cushing's Disease and today I finally got the call that they have the dosage correct on his meds and that they're working- but that's involved testing every 2 weeks since March 1st. Because of the cost of the visits and meds, I decided to not sign up for races as a trade-off. Which means no race=no motivation. However, my husband is determined that I'm running a 50K in December, so I need to get my act together to make sure my base is still strong. I was feeling a lot stronger and more committed and then my grandmother suddenly passed away in late March. I was very close to her, I looked at her as another mom, and I'm still in total shock. We also drove from Virginia to Oklahoma and back for the services (my dad will not fly and didn't want him to drive alone) so there was a lot of travel stress in addition to the emotional stress. Once we got back I started with some short runs again and am starting to get my motivation back. She was the only person in my family to ever ask about my races, and the last time I spoke to her she asked all about the marathon, so I'm trying to use her past encouragement as current motivation. The nice weather is certainly helping as well. My husband also bought me a new pair of Topo's which I'm really liking so far. I'm looking forward to getting some bigger miles in and out on some trails again, but we do have a tight schedule the next several weeks. I think I just need to focus on being happy with what miles I can get and be happy that I have the ability to run. Okay, done rambling thanks for the therapy session :)

ATTQOTD: To all the lurkers on this thread, jump in. Honestly, I ignored this thread for years because I told myself "I'm not a serious runner. I only participate in Disney races and even then I'm not very fast."

And if anybody else is thinking this way, I've always loved this quote:

“I often hear someone say I’m not a real runner. We are all runners, some just run faster than others. I never met a fake runner.” Bart Yasso

It looks like the "lurkers" are being called out, and I've been a lurker for a while, so I figured I'd join the conversation. I recently discovered a food allergy that kept me from any kind of strenuous exercise, and have started running again. I booked the 2020 Star Wars half marathon through my travel agent so I have non-refundable money invested. I have about 80 pounds to lose and obviously need to work on my speed and endurance. Been doing 2 hour runs every weekend for the past month, and am currently averaging around a 17 minute mile. Long way to go in the next year, but I'm not too far away from that magical 16 minute mark. Already found some great tips on the boards here. Happy to see the supportive and friendly atmosphere in this thread!

Hey i need encouragement to ride my bike. We are planning a metric century at the end of July and then a 100 miler in Sept. I was supposed to spend all of March and April getting back in the saddle. It has not worked. I have ridden twice and fell once :). My running is going ok. I think the nicer weather is helping and my butt hurting less is helping too. I am enjoying my runs again.

@LSUlakes
Just so you’ll have a time to fill in for my last run - The Easter Sun Run 10k: 59:45.

I ran the first 5 miles relatively easy with friends, then they picked the pace up the last mile plus. I had really wanted the whole thing to be easy, but it’s hard not to follow someone else’s pace! One of our group was aiming for that under hour mark, and she got it! So that was fun!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter