The Running Thread - 2019

QOTD: What is the single most important piece of advice someone has given you about running?

ATTQOTD: That I needed to properly fuel for long runs!

I don’t have one singular piece of advice that stands out. I just remember receiving support and encouragement from a few of those on the TOT thread when I just starting out and completely lost. That’s what I will always remember. It was my first introduction into the running community.

Question for all the ultra runners out there.

I signed up for the MCM 50k which is Oct 27th. I've run a lot of marathons, but this will be my first exploration beyond 26.2

I found out last week that there is a new local marathon that will be held Oct 6th. The course looks intriguing, and I'd really like to support the continuation of a local fall marathon. Based on my initial training plan, I didn't have a long run beyond 22 miles before MCM. Any thoughts on having my last long run be really long, at 26 miles? I wouldn't race it for time, but I'm a bit concerned with putting in that much mileage and recovering properly (during a taper) over the following 3 weeks. I usually don't feel 100% 3 weeks post-marathon, but I also always race my marathons for time. The smallest gap I've ever put between marathons was 8 weeks, which worked out fine.

I signed up for the MCM 50k which is Oct 27th. I've run a lot of marathons, but this will be my first exploration beyond 26.2

I found out last week that there is a new local marathon that will be held Oct 6th. The course looks intriguing, and I'd really like to support the continuation of a local fall marathon. Based on my initial training plan, I didn't have a long run beyond 22 miles before MCM. Any thoughts on having my last long run be really long, at 26 miles? I wouldn't race it for time, but I'm a bit concerned with putting in that much mileage and recovering properly (during a taper) over the following 3 weeks. I usually don't feel 100% 3 weeks post-marathon, but I also always race my marathons for time. The smallest gap I've ever put between marathons was 8 weeks, which worked out fine.

The first question is can you rein yourself in and run at a training pace during a race? If the answer to that is yes, then I'd go ahead and run the local marathon, making sure to stick to your long run pace or a little below. Just treat the local race as an extra-long training run. Maybe even cut the weekday runs leading up to it by a little bit to avoid too big a mileage jump for the week. I ran Goofy this year as the peak training week for my first 50 miler, which was just 3 weeks later. The key is to avoid racing and over-fatiguing your legs in the local race. You'll be fine!

Hello to a fellow MCM 50K runner! I'm in for this one as well, and it looks like it's going to be a lot of fun!

As for your question, the short answer is yes, you should be fine running a full 3 weeks before your 50K. I've done marathons one week apart, as have lots of people, and we've all finished just fine.

The longer answer is that it depends on your training and mileage base. How many miles per week are you currently running? For runners already consistently running higher mileage, 26 miles at an easy pace isn't going to require much in the way of recovery. With enough endurance training, the distance of a run ceases to stress the body as much as the pace of the run. If longer runs (12-16 miles) at easy pace don't currently require much recovery, then you may be close to the point where an easy full marathon won't require much recovery either.

Ultrarunning memes was on Ginger Runner Live on YouTube on April 1st. Funny stuff, even if you are not trail/ultra it’s a good time.

I did that this past year but i did have 4 weeks to recover. I did Marathon weekend and tried to keep to LR pace, which i did 9:39. I did a 50k 4 weeks later. Only thing i wish is i slowed down a little more. Probably should have been a 10 minute pace. Yes you can do it. I would suggest going slower than a long run, not crazy but a little slower. Of course it may have been the heat towards the end and i had been doing a lot of running. However my comment in hindsight was i should have run slower and targeted a 4:30 marathon instead of 4:15.

I ran the Cherry Blossom 10-Mile Run this past Sunday with a friend. This was 3 weeks after my marathon (with PR), and so I wasn't so fast. 10-mile races are much shorter than marathons! :)

It was a lovely day and the blossoms were gorgeous. I lost my phone before the race and a good samaritan got it back to me. I have a much longer recap on my training journal avondale training journal, starting Dec. 2018

@LSUlakes, the updated entry is

07 - avondale - Cherry Blossom 10-mile Race (NG / 1:43:46)

Alright folks! The race list is current in the OP! Please look over the list to let me know of any errors... They are likely to have been made.

Also, I have the following that I was not able to completely tie to either a date/race name/user/ ect and would like to correct if I can. See below

3:26:14 @dis_or_dat pr

4/6/19 - @*DisneyDreamer – 2:23:47 PR

@PaDisneyCouple Mr. Indian Rock 10k NG/1:00

@JulieODC – 5k – 29:18, 10 Mi 1:40:24, half 2:09:44

My big work project should be over in another week or so, which means I will be able to keep up with the thread by then. Also I forgot this morning was registration for school for DD. Shes getting so BIG!

Alright folks! The race list is current in the OP! Please look over the list to let me know of any errors... They are likely to have been made.

Also, I have the following that I was not able to completely tie to either a date/race name/user/ ect and would like to correct if I can. See below

3:26:14 @dis_or_dat pr

4/6/19 - @*DisneyDreamer – 2:23:47 PR

@PaDisneyCouple Mr. Indian Rock 10k NG/1:00

@JulieODC – 5k – 29:18, 10 Mi 1:40:24, half 2:09:44

My big work project should be over in another week or so, which means I will be able to keep up with the thread by then. Also I forgot this morning was registration for school for DD. Shes getting so BIG!
I am the August 17th Mid Mountain Marathon, thanks!

QOTD: Monday is a big day in the world of marathons. Are you planning on watching the Boston Marathon?

ATTQOTD: I will be at work, but will do everything I can to stream it somehow! Such a exciting day!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter