• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Running Thread - 2019

Great reading everyone’s race recaps, congrats!! Also amazing job @dis_or_dat for BQing and almost NY qualifiying in your first marathon!! That’s insane and amazing!

March training totals:
Total distance - 385.3 miles
Total time - 49:29
Total elevation - 9,900 ft

Another solid month of training! Set personal best in mileage, time, and elevation. Some days feel better than others, but overall I’ve been feeling healthy. I’ve been running much stronger this training cycle! A lot of that is thanks to @DopeyBadger plan! It’s been so perfect, but now I’m hitting the final stretch for Fargo... and it’s about to get real lol.

March Totals:

total miles: 148
total time: 24 hrs, 45 minutes
avg. pace: 10:02
elevation: 4854 feet

ytd miles: 413

It was an interesting month. Got a lot of practice running in the wind.
Completed my 13th marathon on 3/2, took a week off, jumped back into it and finished the month with a Half Marathon.

and it’s about to get real lol.

:D

tenor.gif

giphy.gif

200.gif

tenor.gif

Sad day in our house today - our Pomeranian Pekingese cross Olly passes away in his sleep last night. He was over 16, so had a good innings, but will be missed by us.

View attachment 391487

View attachment 391488

I’m so sorry about the passing of your fur baby :(

Modesto Marathon race recap 3/31: sorry for the wall of text, it was my first marathon!

Let me start by saying I’m not a racer. I love running, but hate races. Mostly because I want to constantly improve, so put a lot of pressure on myself.

That said, I decided to run a marathon having only done a 10k last year. I figured this was my only window for a few years where the baby doesn’t need to nurse around the clock, but not old enough to go skiing and major vacations.

I asked @DopeyBadger to come up with a training plan and he was very kind to help me to achieve my goal: BQ on my one and only marathon (3:40)! So this was immense pressure.

I never was able to successfully maintain pace during my long training runs with tempo mixed in due to a variety of reasons/excuses (overpasses, cracked ribs, headwinds). So was intimidated by the pacing he set out for me. Plus, race weather turned out warmer than I expected. Luckily I started heat acclimating 2.5 weeks earlier right around when my ribs finally healed. Also, I had completely fallen apart during the last 4 miles of a 20 mile run I had asked @DopeyBadger to add to my training (for mental fortitude) and I didn’t want a repeat.

I was so upset since I put so much effort and time into my training. But Coach Billy helped come up with a plan to follow the 3:30 pacer to achieve my BQ goal with cushion.

My DH who generally isn’t very supportive of my running (but supportive this time as long as it was my “only marathon”) surprised me with flowers and a note of support that brought tears to my eyes.

We stayed overnight in a nearby hotel and because I didn’t want to wake the baby up early, I stayed in a separate room next door. I felt oddly at peace. Decided to just take whatever the day gave me and slept 7 hours!

Woke up early the next morning to get prepared and luckily was able to nurse before heading out the door and walk the 2 blocks to the starting line.

I searched out the 3:30 pacer and he told me his plan was to run even miles and about 15-30 seconds under 3:30. Perfect!

Marathon, half, and relay had the same start time and I stuck behind the pacer to keep the weaving to a minimum. Mile 1: 8:13. Perfect! We ended up maintaining about a 7:59 average pace after that. I’ve never run with anyone before, so ended up striking a conversation up with the group. As I was chatting away I realized it was a pretty easy-ish pace. But I knew feeling good at mile 14 was not the same as mile 20.

My family came at mile 16 to cheer me on and my DH and older son made an amazing sign!

I got antsy at the pace and finally pulled away at mile 19. The pacer wished me luck and I asked him to pull me in if he found me falling apart later.

The next 4 miles were at a 7:40ish pace. I wondered if I would regret it. I was nervous that any minor twinge I felt was a warning of impending leg cramps, but luckily none came.
Mile 24 7:33
Mile 25 7:14

Around this time I passed the 3:25 pacer who didn't look too good.

Mile 26 7:23
Mile 26.2 6:48

Finish time: 3:26:14
1st place in AG! (got a travel mug)
5th woman
51st overall

I just missed NY marathon cut off by 14 seconds. I wonder if I hadn't run so conservatively if I would have made it. But ultimately, I wanted to finish without breaking. And instead I finished strong! Usually I'm fading fast, but this is the first time I've ever "pac-manned" and had a negative split. I actually felt pretty good after the race after walking a bit.

Goals:
Ultimate goal: BQ (yes! by almost 14 minutes!)
Secret goal: sub 3:30 (yes!)
Cherry on top: age group placement (yes!)

And yes, my DH is on board with going to Boston next year!

A special thanks to @DopeyBadger! He made an amazing training plan around my scheduling limitations. I don't think I missed any days except at the very beginning due to hazardous air quality. He talked me down for the edge quite a few times and I'm so thankful for all this help.
Holy moly! Fantastic accomplishment!

March Totals:
Miles - 84.34
Time Spent - 14:46:03
Avg. Pace - 10:36

I am happy to report that I have actually been sticking to my running plan! Also, I took March off from drinking (trying to fix the damage of the #MargaritaStreak) and I also cut out added sugar from my diet. I am down 5.5lbs which isn't as much as I thought I would lose but oh well. Better than nothing.

@dis_or_dat Congratulations on the BQ in your first marathon! That is amazing!

March totals:
Total distance - 189.9 miles
Total time - 36:44
Total elevation - 30,154 ft (can that be correct? I know I deliberately chose hilly routes but that seems high)

That is the most miles I've ever run in a single month as my training plan ramped up for my 50 miler next month (next month? :crazy2:)
It also appears that I have a shot at breaking 1,000 miles this year without too much trouble, something I never even considered a possibility.

March totals -
Running 91.50 miles running (16 miles ahead of 1000 a year pace) - Ran 2 8k races on back to back Saturdays to mix up training. It was fun to race but in each I was a little more conservative as I had gone really hard (on purpose) Thursday bike/runs so the races were to see what I could do on really spent legs. Both were sub 8:30 pace which was not terrible.

cycling 318 miles
swimming 11.30 miles

Last edited:
So so proud of you! To say you placed an immense amount of pressure on yourself is the understatement of the year. Normally with a first time marathoner runner, we're talking about completion, don't have a time goal, etc. Learn what the experience is like before we come up with time based goals. But we went with a time based goal. But not any time based goal, a BQ, which would place you in the top 5% in the US for your age group and gender. Ok, ok that's crazy... But then you add on top the criteria that this is your one and only marathon attempt... WOW! But you did it.

AND she's still nursing and nursed before her race.....:duck:
@DopeyBadger for the amazing training plan (and emotional support) :worship:

@dis_or_dat on an amazing first and only (noticed how you're planning Boston next year now :ssst:) marathon. :worship: :worship:

March Miles: 37.51
YTD: 136.57

Not much of an improvement over last month, but a bit of one. Just can not stay completely healthy and am struggling big time with mental motivation. Having to set aside long term hopes and dreams isn’t helping with the lack of motivation. Hoping April goes better than March.

Philly Love Run Half Marathon - March 31st, 2019- recap- Stated Goal: 2 hours

Expo at Philly Convention Center was much smaller than expected. Quick and efficient check in. Received bib, shirt, and a Love Run mug which I promptly dropped and broke about 5 minutes later.

Race day forecast was calling for rain, wind, and temps falling from the low 60s (run index of 1s and 2s if you check the Weather Channel). Luckily the rain and wind behaved for most of the race. Over 11,000 runners according to our race announcer. One of the runners sang a fantastic rendition of the National Anthem. The course starts on Benjamin Franklin Parkway, and the first 4 miles are in Center City before running along the Schuylkill River. It's mostly flat except for one overpass climb and a run up and around a park.

I was in the 3rd wave and started in the very back of my corral. Having that many people in front keeps me from starting too fast. My goal was to keep an eye on the 2:00 hour pace group about a minute in front of me, catch them by mile 2 and hang with them until mile 7 or 8. If I felt good, I would surge ahead, if not, I would maintain pace and finish just under 2 hours. Sounds so easy right?

So here's what really happened. I started out slow but quickly found myself with the 2 hour pace group after the first mile. I could see the 1:55 group less than 2 blocks ahead.
I WANTED TO CATCH THEM. So I shifted to another gear and quickly left the 2 hour group behind. My 2nd mile was 7:46. Oops. Too fast for me. My 3rd mile was 8:36. My 4th mile was 8:29. Here's the strange thing, not only did I NOT catch the 1:55 group, I actually lost sight of them by mile 4. I guess I'm not able to do math calculations and running at the same time. Where did they go? Through 6.5 miles I was on pace for 1:54.

But I started to struggle with the 61 degree heat. Stomach cramps hit me hard by mile 8 and I slowed down. Walked up part of a hill. Jogged and walked some more.
Mile 8 was 10:10, Mile 9 9:07, mile 10 was 10:02. By now the 2 hour pace group had caught up with me again. And passed me. What a deflating feeling. I felt seasick. I wanted to find a bathroom. I wanted to quit or just walk to the finish. But I remembered my goal and how many times I was unable to fight for the finish line. Less than 3 miles to go.
I kept at it.

I slowly caught the 2 hr. pace group. I slowly passed them but was in tremendous discomfort and had to walk again.
The pace group leader came up behind me and YELLED "C'mon buddy, you're only half a mile away. You Got This."
He was right. I somehow got it together and struggled my way to the finish in 1:59:15. Thanks Pacer guy. If I weren't so sick after the race I would have found you to say thanks.

Post race had a nice medal, mylar blanket, and a bag with carrying handles for pretzel, granola, and water bottle. So handy. They also had coca-cola (warm thank goodness) that helped settle my stomach. The course is mostly flat and fun. Crowd support and entertainment was sparse compared to Philly Marathon weekend.

The rain started soon after I finished and I walked the 2 miles back to my hotel in a daze before driving 4.5 hours home in a bigger daze.

I didn't PR. I went out too fast despite my best intentions. I got overheated. I can't do math and run at the same time.
But I finally feel like I didn't give up and I gave the best effort that I had in me that day.
I pushed to the limit and went past my comfort zone. And I can build on that and do better next time.

Thanks for reading.

March Totals:
Miles - 84.34
Time Spent - 14:46:03
Avg. Pace - 10:36

I am happy to report that I have actually been sticking to my running plan! Also, I took March off from drinking (trying to fix the damage of the #MargaritaStreak) and I also cut out added sugar from my diet. I am down 5.5lbs which isn't as much as I thought I would lose but oh well. Better than nothing.

You’re my hero!! I need to get on sticking to a running plan AND no beer. Struggle is REAL y’all. What works for you Jenna?? @jennamfeo

In March I ran 145.85km (91 miles) which is the most I've ever run in a single month! My runs are also getting further - was doing mostly 4km runs in February but in March upped it to mostly 5km runs with some longer runs. Also walked (as exercise) 213.41km (133 miles).

Unfortunately plantar fasciitis did not get any better in March and the first few steps after rest are still agony! Thankfully it settles down after a couple minutes and I don't notice it much at all when running/walking.

Might need to decrease the walking in April, but hoping to keep up the running! Running a 10k next Sunday and am debating doing a half at the start of June...

You need to be careful and not get fooled by the not being able to notice it by walking/running. It’s a trap. I had PF back in 2015. I had the same issue. Hurt bad when I got out of bed but after moving around for ten minutes I didn’t feel it much. I ran through it all summer. By September, just in time for my September 1/2 marathon suddenly it hurt even when running. But, I still ran my 1/2 marathon with it. Imagine that pain you feel when you get out of bed for 2 hours of a 1/2 marathon with every step.

Rest it and get it fixed or you may be in for a long, and painful summer.

Modesto Marathon race recap 3/31: sorry for the wall of text, it was my first marathon!

Let me start by saying I’m not a racer. I love running, but hate races. Mostly because I want to constantly improve, so put a lot of pressure on myself.

That said, I decided to run a marathon having only done a 10k last year. I figured this was my only window for a few years where the baby doesn’t need to nurse around the clock, but not old enough to go skiing and major vacations.

I asked @DopeyBadger to come up with a training plan and he was very kind to help me to achieve my goal: BQ on my one and only marathon (3:40)! So this was immense pressure.

I never was able to successfully maintain pace during my long training runs with tempo mixed in due to a variety of reasons/excuses (overpasses, cracked ribs, headwinds). So was intimidated by the pacing he set out for me. Plus, race weather turned out warmer than I expected. Luckily I started heat acclimating 2.5 weeks earlier right around when my ribs finally healed. Also, I had completely fallen apart during the last 4 miles of a 20 mile run I had asked @DopeyBadger to add to my training (for mental fortitude) and I didn’t want a repeat.

I was so upset since I put so much effort and time into my training. But Coach Billy helped come up with a plan to follow the 3:30 pacer to achieve my BQ goal with cushion.

My DH who generally isn’t very supportive of my running (but supportive this time as long as it was my “only marathon”) surprised me with flowers and a note of support that brought tears to my eyes.

We stayed overnight in a nearby hotel and because I didn’t want to wake the baby up early, I stayed in a separate room next door. I felt oddly at peace. Decided to just take whatever the day gave me and slept 7 hours!

Woke up early the next morning to get prepared and luckily was able to nurse before heading out the door and walk the 2 blocks to the starting line.

I searched out the 3:30 pacer and he told me his plan was to run even miles and about 15-30 seconds under 3:30. Perfect!

Marathon, half, and relay had the same start time and I stuck behind the pacer to keep the weaving to a minimum. Mile 1: 8:13. Perfect! We ended up maintaining about a 7:59 average pace after that. I’ve never run with anyone before, so ended up striking a conversation up with the group. As I was chatting away I realized it was a pretty easy-ish pace. But I knew feeling good at mile 14 was not the same as mile 20.

My family came at mile 16 to cheer me on and my DH and older son made an amazing sign!

I got antsy at the pace and finally pulled away at mile 19. The pacer wished me luck and I asked him to pull me in if he found me falling apart later.

The next 4 miles were at a 7:40ish pace. I wondered if I would regret it. I was nervous that any minor twinge I felt was a warning of impending leg cramps, but luckily none came.
Mile 24 7:33
Mile 25 7:14

Around this time I passed the 3:25 pacer who didn't look too good.

Mile 26 7:23
Mile 26.2 6:48

Finish time: 3:26:14
1st place in AG! (got a travel mug)
5th woman
51st overall

I just missed NY marathon cut off by 14 seconds. I wonder if I hadn't run so conservatively if I would have made it. But ultimately, I wanted to finish without breaking. And instead I finished strong! Usually I'm fading fast, but this is the first time I've ever "pac-manned" and had a negative split. I actually felt pretty good after the race after walking a bit.

Goals:
Ultimate goal: BQ (yes! by almost 14 minutes!)
Secret goal: sub 3:30 (yes!)
Cherry on top: age group placement (yes!)

And yes, my DH is on board with going to Boston next year!

A special thanks to @DopeyBadger! He made an amazing training plan around my scheduling limitations. I don't think I missed any days except at the very beginning due to hazardous air quality. He talked me down for the edge quite a few times and I'm so thankful for all this help.

Awesome job! Congratulations!!!

I don’t have my official numbers for March but I managed to complete about 12 miles. That’s the good news. The bad news is, I am done running until probably next year at some time. The last two times I ran I only got a mile in and the pain started in my ankle. It isn’t the normal pain I’m used to. It feels like I am getting electrocuted in that spot. Needless to say, it isn’t something I can run through anymore. It even hurts while just walking. I will need surgery. The problem is, there is no good time to get it until the end of the year at the soonest. I’ll be at Disney next week. Then I’m getting married in July (didn’t mention that on here yet), we have two family vacations in July and then I am going to DL in September. I don’t want to be on crutches for any of that stuff so I will have to wait.

I have decided I will just stick to my bike this summer to keep in shape and I am actually OK with it. I will be back to running for sure and realize I may never run another marathon, and that’s OK too. Running changed my life and I am not giving up on it. I still plan to hang around here and hope to help at least one person along the way in some way!

@Waiting2goback Sorry to hear about your ankle. While it sucks to take such a long break--not to mention having surgery--it sounds like you have a positive attitude and many wonderful things happening to keep you occupied. Good luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter