The Running Thread - 2019

ATTQOTD: No, I won’t even run in my 0 drops! My husband used to run in Vibrams and he developed a neuroma because of those, so they got trashed. He swears by Topo now, but he’s gotten a lot stronger so he’ll go out occasionally for a slow mile or 2 barefoot, or in his gross running “mandals”..... he goes barefoot on the treadmill often too. I don’t understand the point, but not my feet.

Today I wanted to ask if anyone here has or currently a barefoot runner. If so, tell us about your experience please.
I think those people are crazy. I have seen them at runDisney events. I'm not sure I will ever forget the runner who ran in socks in 2018 and I saw him at the monorail station. Pretty sure there wasn't much left of his socks.

QOTD: Today I wanted to ask if anyone here has or currently a barefoot runner. If so, tell us about your experience please.
ATTQOTD: A couple of years ago while in Florida during the winter, I ran barefoot on the beach - close to the water where the sand is hard. I ended up with ridiculous blisters on my feet so never again. As for roads - where I normally run, I am pretty much the opposite of barefoot. I wear Asics Nimbus which are some of the most cushioned running shoes on the market.

ATTQOTD: A couple of years ago while in Florida during the winter, I ran barefoot on the beach - close to the water where the sand is hard. I ended up with ridiculous blisters on my feet so never again. As for roads - where I normally run, I am pretty much the opposite of barefoot. I wear Asics Nimbus which are some of the most cushioned running shoes on the market.
I made that mistake back when I lived on the vineyard. Never again.

Last edited:
ATTQOTD: No way I would ever run barefoot and this is coming from someone who doesn’t like to wear closed toed shoes if she can avoid it. My best friend has assured me that she will make sure I am buried in flip flops.

I’ve seen people do it in races and I always wondered how they were able to stay so focused on not stepping on something in the road.

ATTQOTD: When I first got into running a few years ago, it was after reading Born to Run (for a second time) so I got myself Vibrams. They were great and I loved running in them. For me they are close to a perfect shoe, as most shoes mess up my gait/footfall and cause me serious knee issues. The Vibrams didn't. The problem I had was that as my runs got longer (6+ miles), the wear and tear on my forefeet became too great. So I had to find alternatives with at least some cushioning. The only shoes I've found so far that work are New Balance racing flats. They still don't have enough cushioning to make running marathons comfortable, but at least they don't hurt my knees....

Unlike most, who disdain them, I will always be fond of my time running in my Vibrams. And I do think barefoot running is the way human bodies evolved to run. But we evolved to run in grass and dirt, not on pavement. And our feet were probably meant to be pretty nasty, and most of us don't want nasty feet. So shoes are here to stay.

QOTD: Today I wanted to ask if anyone here has or currently a barefoot runner. If so, tell us about your experience please.

I know of one person that used to do all their runs in the summer on city streets totally barefoot. He changed to minimalist shoes a few years ago.

For those interested in the barefoot running or even just walking check out Dr. Steve Gangemi (aka "The Sock Doc". He has a lot of good information.

Completely OT, but I’m going on the Harmony of the Seas at the end of May! I’m so stinking excited.

We really enjoyed the ship, we were on when it still had the new ship smell as we were on the its 3rd or 4th cruise.

If you have any questions, you can PM me.

ATTQOTD(yesterday): I’ve only been running for a little over 3 years so I don’t have a lot of exciting travel stories yet. Furthest from home would be Chicago at 1,153 miles. However @LSUlakes you can put me down for the Fargo Marathon on May 18th, and that’ll be my new furthest from home race... though I have a work trip in AZ next week, so that’ll actually be a little further...Progress lol!!

ATTQOTD: I love running barefoot and in minimalist shoes!! I grew up running in cleats, so I prefer 0 drop 0 cushion shoes from that... plus I grew up on a beach w/ flip flops all the time lol. That said, I rotate my shoes and only use my Merrells on my easy days. I don’t race in those, supposedly cushion shoes help you go a little faster... plus I finally got some 4%(huge stack height for me). I actually just picked up some HOKA Mach’s to practice running with a bigger stack height lol. I will say you have to be careful of rocks and you want to ease into it... but once you get used to them you’ll be fine.

Also @LSUlakes I signed up for the IOA 5k on 4/18 too

ATTQOTD: I’ve never tried running in barefeet or Vibrams before. I understand the benefits but like @kbenson13 mentioned, I don’t think we’re born to run on pavement.

Like so many others here, I’m amazed at people that run a race in things other than running shoes...high heels, dress shoes, flip flops!!! What is going on there??? ‍:confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter