• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Running Thread - 2019

A little late in this response. Below is a short summary from last years race. I may attend this year - still trying to figure out the 2019 race schedule. @Keels was looking into this race as well. There was also Bourbon and I believe a local beer on the course but I'm not a alcohol drinker so I didn't focus on that.

Thanks for this. The reviews pushed me to sign up. @LSUlakes can you add March 30 Run the Bluegrass (2:05/NA)

Last edited:
Hi, everyone -- happy new year!

My goals for this year are mostly non-race related (e.g., sort out some life stuff, deal with some mental health things, generally get into some better habits), but I do think I'd like to try a short-distance triathlon sometime soon. At least I've got an "indoor triathlon" next weekend that I'm hoping will help me gauge how that'll go. I do miss swimming, so it'd be nice to get back into that a bit properly.

Already have some races set for this year, will start figuring out goals closer to the dates:
10 March: New Orleans Women's 5k
6 April: Garden Spot Village 10k
13 April: Sole of the City 10k
5 May: National Women's 8k
1 June: Baltimore 10-Miler (I want to give them a chance to improve on the awful experience last year...also, got the registration at a discount)
14 September: Wilmington Women's 8k
15 September: RnR Philly 7.6k
19 October: Baltimoron (5k + Half Marathon)

There are still some more I've got my eye on, but figure this gives me some decent motivation for now.

QOTD: my favorite meet-n-greet (it felt rare back then and is definitely impossible to find now) was in high school -- Figment and Dreamfinder! Even though Figment stole the hat off my head and tossed it away :)

Good luck to everyone running this weekend!

Since @LSUlakes is driving for most of the day today (have a good drive down to WDW) I volunteered to do today’s Fun Friday QOTD.

I really enjoy character meetings/photo ops. Seeing the list of the characters for photo ops during the 5K & 10K, there are some rare ones. So my Fun Friday QOTD is, what has been your favorite rare character meeting? Also, do you have any rare characters you hope to meet?

Fun Friday ATTQOTD: I haven’t had the chance for too many rare character meetingsphoto ops, but if the few Inhave had, I think my favorite has been Gepetto. That meeting was completely unexpected. I was waking around WS and happened to be at the gate between Canada and the UK when it opened and 5 or 6 characters walked out. All of them were the usual crowd except for Gepetto. He was a fun interact as well. When I got up to him he was “surprised” to see another person wearing glasses, which was was an enjoyable interaction. As for rare characters I want to meet. The two on the top of my list are Mr. Smee and The Big Bad Wolf. The reason these two are at the top of my list is because my mom has photos of my with them as a toddler/little kid (mid-80’s) and in each I am less than happy to be with them (The Big Bad Wolf terrifies my has a toddler). So I think it would be hilarious to get photos with them again (with the thought of trying to reenact my reactions as a toddler/little kid).

View attachment 374837

The only times I see characters are at character meals. I took some pics with a couple out at DL since they are out more often and roam more freely. But I don't think I have any out of the ordinary ones. The only characters I would like to meet are Walt and Roy. :sad::sad::sad:

I hope everyone who went had a great Marathon weekend!

ATTQOTD: I don't really have any rare character M&Gs that stand out. But some of the standard ones stick out. My pre-teen boy turning into Bashful after being picked to be the Beast in Enchanted Tales with Belle, my daughter telling Cinderella that she thinks she should set up her evil step-sisters with her brothers, as "they deserve each other", and Joy and Sadness getting very excited/slightly less depressed to find my daughter, who looks A LOT like their Riley, shares the same name.

Going to attempt my first run today since my injury (bursitis), which will also be the first of 2019. I only feel pain in my heel when wearing the shoes I was wearing when I suffered the injury (Brooks Ghost 10). The padding in the heel has degraded, when I compare it to the new pair of the same shoes I had in my closet, I think that contributed to the injury. But even the new pair causes some pain still. But my previous shoe (Saucony Ride) feels fine with no pain, so going to run in those for today and see how I feel.

Mini race report! Casa Half Marathon in Pine Bluff, AR. Woke up to pouring rain and cold, just as forecast. Left early to find the location as I was doing day-of packet pick up. Got out of the truck and realized I left my backpack back at the hotel! Doh! So ran and got my bib, then we headed back to the hotel. Luckily it was just 5 miles away. Got back, got my chip timer on my shoe and my bib on my bib buddy type waist bib holder that I use, then sat in the warm truck until about 30 minutes to race start. We got to park very close to the start line and the indoor bathrooms so made a last minute bathroom stop, then back to the truck to load up my pockets for the race. I decided to wear my shorts with all the pockets to carry all my stuff, then made a last minute decision to add my running pants (with no pockets) over them. So getting stuff in and out was a bit tricky but doable. I wore a tank, running hoodie, and a Frogg Togg rain jacket on top, with a visor. I would NOT recommend the Frogg Togg jacket for running. It was advertised as breathable but not so much! It kept the rain off me, which was nice, and blocked the wind very well, also nice. But I was sweaty underneath and got chilled.

Had a bit of trouble getting my Garmin to connect to GPS at the race start. And while I was fiddling with it they started the race. So I was running and messing with it so that was fun. Also, it picked right then to really start pouring. Got Garmin to work so I could relax and just run my race. Due to the FT Jacket I was unable to see the Garmin unless I pulled the sleeve up, which resulted in getting wet hands and hoodie sleeves so I gave up and just went with the vibration to tell me to run and walk and didn't worry about my pace. That would come back to haunt me later as I was going WAY. TOO. FAST. I had put Aquaphor all over my feet, then put on Injinji toe socks, then some regular running socks over those. At mile 2 I stepped in an ankle deep puddle with my right foot and it immediately soaked all the way thru! Ugh! But it was pouring rain so I was going to get wet anyway. Very soon after I stepped in another puddle and soaked both feet so at least I felt evened out, lol.

Race was an out and back along a lake and a river. Cold 10 mph winds off the water made for a pretty miserable time of running. The wind chill was in the low 30's. I know a lot of you run in colder but that felt so cold when you are soaked! The rain jacket ended right at the top of my pockets so all the water ran off onto my legs and into my pockets.

Lots of water stops and they all had kleenex which was fantastic! And all the volunteers were awesome and very encouraging! I slogged along and just tried to get in under 3:00. Well, I just squeaked in with a 2:59:13! I managed to not have to make a bathroom stop during the race so headed to the stadium bathroom right after crossing the finish line! I emptied my pockets on a table and DH watched my stuff while I used the bathroom, where I had a mini episode of Ross with the leather pants!

They had pancakes, milk, chocolate milk, orange wedges and bananas for post race meal. I loaded up, then sat down to eat when the cold hit me and I just started shaking! DH had gone to get some coffee so when he made it back we left. I was SO COLD! Luckily the hotel gave me a late check out (thank you Holiday Inn Express!) so I was able to go back and take a HOT shower and put on warm sweats!

The race was about 1 1/2 hours from home so since we were already that far we went to Colton's Steak House for lunch, then Home Depot to get more supplies for our remodel, then home.

I would 100% do this race again, just really, really hope for a nice day! It benefits a women and children's shelter, which is a cause I support wholeheartedly due to some drama in my past. But I would train for it next time! I hadn't run since early December and it showed. I was slow and very sore afterwards. But I stuck to my intervals and never walked thru a run!

ETA: Photos! The time on that one is clock time!
CCD2548C-2D12-4216-A375-A0EDFD716D80.jpeg 48818EF7-DBE5-4CC6-80CA-D3E00FFB0209.jpeg

Last edited:

Filling in for @LSUlakes who is out enjoying the post-race festivities today, here is your Monday QOTD: have you ever seen a discount offered by a race sponsoring a social media running discussion and decided to enter the race?

I'm asking because the Derby Festival Marathon sponsored last night's #RunChat discussion on Twitter, and I'm interested in finding out if sponsorship like that pays off. Personally, I didn't think $5 was worth it. I'd be more tempted by $25, but to their credit, they made me aware of their race, which I'd never thought much about before.

ATTQOTD: No, but part of that is because outside of these boards I’m not too involved in social media running (something I’m going to try and do more of this year). But if/when I do see this scenario, it would have to be a pretty good discount for me to enter.

Filling in for @LSUlakes who is out enjoying the post-race festivities today, here is your Monday QOTD: have you ever seen a discount offered by a race sponsoring a social media running discussion and decided to enter the race?

I'm asking because the Derby Festival Marathon sponsored last night's #RunChat discussion on Twitter, and I'm interested in finding out if sponsorship like that pays off. Personally, I didn't think $5 was worth it. I'd be more tempted by $25, but to their credit, they made me aware of their race, which I'd never thought much about before.

I follow little social media running stuff, so my answer is no I have not decided to run a race based on a social media discount. That said, my company is a sponsor of a local 5K and discounts entry for employees and contractors, which does result in increased staff participation and many of the people do not run other local races. So I think from that standpoint it may not help raise revenue, it does raise participation. Furthermore, I think anecdotally people bring along friends and family who do pay full registration, so that seems helpful. I will admit, a free race enticed me to sign up the first time.

ATTQOTD: I don't think I have that I can remember...I normally sign up really early for races to get the discount code and the sometimes (like this weekend) life gets in the way and I lose that money. I should really rethink my strategy.

ATTQOTD: No, the closest would be seeing discounts on races I was already planning to run on Facebook and entering then.

ATTQOTD: I don't think I have signed up for anything based on a discount from social media. I have signed up or races early, due to a good sized price discount for signing up in the 1st 24hours. My running club also gets discounts from several races in town that I have used before as well.

Texas 10 Bridgeland Race report.

I signed up for this race to use as a long tempo-ish run before my A goal race this upcoming weekend. The Bridgeland was a new race for the Texas 10 series, and turned out really well run. The only downside was the runners parking lot being between 1/4 and 1/2 mile from the start/finish line area. Weather turned out near perfect Sunday morning. Around 40 with a dewpoint in the mid 30s.

As usual for the series, the race consisted of a 5 mile lap, run twice for 10. Some of the roads used were in new parts of the master planned community, so not many houses on the route, and some mud puddles by the curb to keep an eye on.

My plan was to run the first 5 miles around 8, and go faster the second lap. Mile one was an unexpected 7:36....oops. I did dial back the pace over the next several miles (even had a dude pushing a double-wide stroller pass me before mile 3), and finished the 1st lap in 38:40. I did pick it up a little on the second lap and was able to pick off about 5-7 runners that passed me the first lap. Ran the last mile in a pace that was a little faster then my planned pace for this upcoming half.

Did the second lap in 37:06 for a finishing time of 1:15:47. Ended up 33/387 overall, 3/18 in my age group.

Was really happy with results, and really feeling good going into the upcoming weekend. The forecast is looking to be a bit chilly for Sunday morning. Right now, they are prediction temps in the upper 20s/low 30s and gusty winds for the start of the race.....

Offer expired, socks claimed.

This is possibly weird: anyone want a pair of 2XU Full Length Compression Socks, Men's Large? I've only worn them once or twice (don't worry. they've been washed since then). They are just too hard for me to get on and off. I hate to send a pair of barely worn $40-$50 socks to Goodwill if a fellow runner can use them. I'll even pay postage.

I tried to find a picture online of the exact model, but couldn't find one.

If you're interested, PM me.

Thank you soooooo much!!! Just tried them on and they're going to be a key part of my recovery after Dopey. They're really comfortable once they're on. You rock for doing this for our community!! This is just another reason why I love this place so much.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter