The Running Thread - 2019

Hi everyone - I have a quick question.

For context, I began running last year, but took a couple months off due to bronchitis. When I started last year, I registered for the 2019 Star Wars 10k. I am at a 14:25 mile and my longest mileage has been about 7 miles (though I feel like I could go longer if needed) so I'm not SUPER worried about the race other than the heat. (This is saying a lot for me because when I started, I was doing couch to 5k and thought I was going to DIE on week1)

All this to say that I'm new to running and admittedly don't know nearly enough about it. I'm an interval runner. I currently do 3.5 min run to 2 min walk. However, lately when I read about interval running, it's in seconds usually - ex. 30sec/30 sec.

Is it bad to be doing longer interval runs like I'm doing? Does it matter? Eventually, I'd like to increase my running and decrease my walking and do a half marathon and then a full. I'm just trying to figure out if I train or run "wrong."

I have a lot to learn still and thought this would be a good first spot to ask.

I just ran a marathon and our 4:35 pace leader had qualified for the Boston Marathon 2019 with run/walk 2:37 marathon. I think she said she did something like 8 minutes running/1 minute walking. (She did all running for our pace group.) I'm sure there's an ideal ratio out there somewhere, but if it's working for you, then do it.

Definitely aware of the traffic, and we plan to be out on the trails early. We’re actually staying at Swiftcurrent for 5 nights, so that’ll make things easy on that side of the park (Iceberg, Grinnell). We also have two nights at Apgar and two in East Glacier to see that part of the park.

As long as Highline is open, we will be at Logan Pass bright and early to start that hike.

Last year, Iceberg and a lot of that area was closed for grizzly bear activity. That was early August. I don't know how often that recurs yearly. But....we had driven 2+ hours to get to that side of the park and had to scramble for an alternate hike. We hadn't thought of checking the website before leaving - the closure was noted there. I'm mentioning it so hopefully you will remember to check before you go. :)

@Waiting2goback Condolences on the loss of your grandmother. Passing on at 101 sounds like a life well-lived.

@LSUlakes So sorry to hear about the loss of your dog. It's been about a year since our husky-mix died, and we still miss him.

@camaker A 50 miler that was mostly on a beach?!? Wow, way to go finishing that one! Sand running is no joke.

ATTQOTD: Run-centric vacations?!? Aren't they all? :D We've done trips to Boston, Chicago, and Virginia Beach which were all centered around races, and we're doubling up in September with a France/Germany trip for the Disneyland Paris Half/Berlin Marathon on consecutive weekends. That was some luck getting those races so close to each other.

Shamrock Marathon race recap:

I'd signed up for this one last fall to run it for fun, having heard good things about it from others and wanting to try it out myself. When I missed getting a BQ for 2020 at Richmond in November, Shamrock became a goal race to get that BQ. My BQ time for my age is 3:25, but I always try to have a 5 minute cushion so I know I'll actually get in - thus, 3:20 was the goal. We arrived In Virginia Beach the night before, dropped by the expo to get my number, and checked in to our hotel, which was right on the beach and about 8 blocks from the start. It was such a treat to be able to walk to the start right from our hotel. I got to my corral about 25 minutes before the start, but then had to make one more bathroom stop before the race. As usual, the porta-pottie lines were insane, so I ended up going back to our hotel room to use the bathroom there. Hustling back to the start, I got back to my corral with about 5 minutes to spare. I stripped off my sweats and handed them to my wife waiting along the side of the corral, and turned to see I was standing right next to Ernie, a running buddy I knew from races back home. We chatted for a bit about goals and then we were off. I'd planned on running with the 3:20 pace group, but since I got to the corral so late, they were well ahead of me at the start. I caught them after a couple of miles and settled in for race. Shamrock is known for a flat course, but has a reputation for occasionally having some pretty ugly weather - usually some combination of rain, cold, and winds coming off the Atlantic. Luckily, we got temps in the 40's and sunny skies, and the winds were pretty mild. My training had gone fairly well, but by Mile 21 I was really starting to feel the pace, and I lost the pace group a little after that. Luckily, I was with another runner, John, who offered some encouraging words, and we ran the next several miles together. Just past Mile 25, he was starting to fade, but he encouraged me to press on without him and finish strong. The final .75 miles or so is right along the boardwalk, and I was able to see the finish arch up ahead. I knew because I started a minute behind the 3:20 group I could still hit that goal, so I gave it all I had in the final stretch. My watch said 3:20:03, but since I'd stopped it a little after crossing the line, my final time was 3:20:00, right on the nose! I'd love to claim great pacing, but really, it was mostly dumb luck on my part. I waited in the finishing area to thank John for encouraging me through that rough patch, and was thrilled to learn that despite his slight fade near the finish, he both PR'ed and BQ'ed for the first time!

Overall, the Shamrock Marathon was a fun event. The course is flat and fast, and the local community does a lot to support it. They've got a giant tent right on the beach for the post-race festivities, and they serve Irish stew and up to 4(!) free beers for the runners. I'd definitely do it again if scheduling allows.

Shamrock Marathon official finish time: 3:20:00 (154th overall and 12/102 in age group).

ATTQOTD: Nothing I would call a "vacation" - basically going out for the race and coming right back home without doing anything else.

ATTQOTD: I enjoy going to alternate locations for races, but I'd hesitate to call any outside of Disney true "runcations". Chicago, NC outer banks, Bald Head Island, all have been nice places to visit for the races but it's been show up, race, go home, in the span of a couple of days.

I plan on registering for the Hot Chocolate 15k on Nov 3 in Chicago next month!!!

I'm excited to be progressing in my run lengths. I may try to throw a few more 10ks in before then and then run my first half early next year!

@LSUlakes I'm sorry about Dixie.

@StacyStrong I'd just emphasize what others have already said and encourage you to play around with intervals. I think there is a sweet spot with interval runners that just takes some experimentation to find. When I began with Galloway, I ran a 2.5min/1min ratio and then a couple of years after that he recommended going to shorter run/walk intervals. While it was a difficult adjustment at first going to 30 second walk intervals, once I adapted, my overall speed improved significantly but without added more fatigue. I think trying out different intervals is fun too and adds some variety to what you are doing.

Back to somewhat of a routine after the crazy flooding in Nebraska. Very scary- so many in my little town lost their homes. So heartbreaking. The hill I run up to get home will only get praise from me going forward, so thankful our home is ok with just minimal water in the basement.

Congrats to all of the weekend racers!

Sorry about your loss of sweet Dixie, @LSUlakes :(

ATTQOTD: I've had to travel for all of races, but Disney is the only that feels like a vacation :)

ATTQOTD: Chicago was my first running centric vacation, and I’m def planning a few more lol. I also love running on regular vacations, I feel it’s one of the best ways to explore!

Congrats @BikeFan and @camaker! Great performances this weekend, thanks for the recaps!!

ATTQOTD: We tend to find runs on other vacations more than plan runcations. But we've moved our "visit family" weekend to coincide with the Flying Pig in Cincinatti twice. I did a short runcation to Milwaukee once :)

Back to somewhat of a routine after the crazy flooding in Nebraska. Very scary- so many in my little town lost their homes. So heartbreaking. The hill I run up to get home will only get praise from me going forward, so thankful our home is ok with just minimal water in the basement.
I feel so out of routine, but needed a break from the flooding so hopped on to Disboards just to read. Yes, hills are our friends now, right!

ATTQOTD:
I was just discussing at home how it is easier to travel to a race than break out of the routine for one at home. I think I would be hard pressed to convince my family to go somewhere around a race, so I do not see it happening.

ATTQOTD: All of our trips are due to races. I look forward to them even if I’m not the one racing. Coming up is our 10 year anniversary trip in a few months which includes a 100K in the mountains (I’ll be crewing); we’ll be getting a condo in Wintergreen (VA) and enjoying a few extra days away from home after the race. We will be staying 5 nights in NYC for the marathon this fall, which I’m super excited to spectate! Just booked our hotel last week.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter