The Running Thread - 2018

Finally caught up! I don't like beer either! I am just starting to run further distances so I am following the fuel and compression discussions.

My question for everyone is, how frequently do you eat something during a race? I've read some people say every 45 minutes, others say every 90. Is it a matter of personal preference, or is there a recommended frequency?
The 45 minute rule is a good one for most folks I believe. For me that works out to be around 5-6 miles during a marathon. However I only use them when on a run over 2 hours in the cooler weather or 1.5 hours during summer races. I may also take them before a race like a 10k mostly because I do not eat breakfast.... most of the time.

ATTQOTD: Salted Caramel Gu...it tastes like cake frosting!

I'm not saying this is a bad flavor GU, but cake frosting is not what I would call it lol. Salty Watermelon is the goat flavor w/ caffeine. Banana strawberry for those who dont want caffeine is good as well.

Whew! I finally made it. It took me over two weeks to read the entire thread. My husband thought I was nuts but I learned a lot - and not all about running either ;). This thread is definitely informative and entertaining. I'm glad I can finally join in on answering the QOTD. But of course the one I can finally answer is one I don't have an answer for! :confused3:rotfl:

As far as running goes: I started with the C25K a few years ago. I've had to restart it 3 times over the course of 3 years. But now I'm working on the 10K version. I officially ran my first 5K back in November (I choose not to count previous 5Ks where I mostly walked them). I ran my 2nd this past Saturday and I have my first 10K lined up for 4/14. I believe I have decided on the half for marathon weekend 2019. :cheer2:

So far my race goals are always to finish, preferably by running the entire thing. I'm pretty sure the goal of running the entire thing is going to have to change some for the next race. I have yet been able to run the full 6.2 without taking a few 30 sec walk breaks.

This last race, I'd really hoped to make a PR but it didn't happen. I blame it on the fact that I didn't wear my earbuds (we were encouraged not to so that we could hear all around us - many didn't adhere to this request) so that meant no motivating music and no every 5 minute pace updates. Needless to say, I will not go without mine again. I'll just turn the volume way down so I can still hear what's going on.

Anyways, thanks for keeping me entertained the last couple of weeks! I look forward to joining in now :wave:

Impressive with reading the whole thread in a short time! Glad you found the information helpful and we look forward to having you as part of the group.

This week we have the following folks with races!

31 - @run.minnie.miles - The Early Bird 10 Miler (TBD / N/A)
31 - @rootbeerkid - Run the Bluegrass Half Marathon (1:59:59 / N/A)
31 - @jennamfeo - Diamondbacks Race Against Cancer 5k (NG / N/A)

Best of luck to each of you this weekend! Let me know if you need to make any revisions to your goal time. If anyone would like to add a race to the weekend list or for any other races, just let me know.

I'm a few days behind this week so I'll catch up with yesterday and today:

QOTD: For fueling during your long run or you a "liquids" (think GU) or solids (think the jelly bean fuel) type of person and why?

I prefer sport beans. The consistency of gels/GU annoys me. However, I've been known to take whatever may be handed out on the course - especially Red Vines! But I avoid Shot Blocks since both times I've tried them I thought I was going to choke on that gelatinous mass, pass out and be trampled...

QOTD: Today lets discuss compression socks. Do you use them? Do you wear them while running or for recovery, or both? What would you suggest to someone who is looking to get a pair?

I have both compression socks and calf sleeves. I only wear them for recovery after a longer race. The sleeves are easier to put on, but sometimes I think the socks are better if my feet/ankles are unhappy. Honestly, whether I wear the compression socks or sleeves depends on what I randomly grabbed when packing for the trip.

Whew! I finally made it. It took me over two weeks to read the entire thread. My husband thought I was nuts but I learned a lot - and not all about running either ;). This thread is definitely informative and entertaining. I'm glad I can finally join in on answering the QOTD. But of course the one I can finally answer is one I don't have an answer for! :confused3:rotfl:

As far as running goes: I started with the C25K a few years ago. I've had to restart it 3 times over the course of 3 years. But now I'm working on the 10K version. I officially ran my first 5K back in November (I choose not to count previous 5Ks where I mostly walked them). I ran my 2nd this past Saturday and I have my first 10K lined up for 4/14. I believe I have decided on the half for marathon weekend 2019. :cheer2:

So far my race goals are always to finish, preferably by running the entire thing. I'm pretty sure the goal of running the entire thing is going to have to change some for the next race. I have yet been able to run the full 6.2 without taking a few 30 sec walk breaks.

This last race, I'd really hoped to make a PR but it didn't happen. I blame it on the fact that I didn't wear my earbuds (we were encouraged not to so that we could hear all around us - many didn't adhere to this request) so that meant no motivating music and no every 5 minute pace updates. Needless to say, I will not go without mine again. I'll just turn the volume way down so I can still hear what's going on.

Anyways, thanks for keeping me entertained the last couple of weeks! I look forward to joining in now :wave:

Welcome!!! I don't know if this is a controversial opinion but if I run like 95% of a race and take a few walking breathers (especially during water stops because I'm super klumsy) I still consider it as a running the whole thing. Some people may not agree. I've ran plenty of shorter races all the way without stopping at all. But I think every 10k or longer I've at least walked a tiny bit. Again...water stops...very much still a work in progress with coordination.

ATTQOTD: ~45 min which usually is around 4.5+ miles for me. Or the easiest water stop give or take before or after that timing. Then I tend to fuel again at 8ish miles and 12ish miles. I use gels and have info from DB about water intake and carbs...so I watch my labels. I try to remind myself that waiting to fuel because I feel like I need it is not the correct approach. If you fuel/hydrate properly and time it right, you should never feel like you needed it. Some wise peeps here clued me in on that line of thinking. So with my 8+ mile runs I just try to default to always fueling.

ATTQOTD: Never had compression socks. I don't think I'd like how they feel. At some point maybe I will need them but I know very little about them. So my answer is "I dunno"

I just running this because it's for a good cause, it's OPENING WEEKEND, and I get a baseball themed medal for a team I like. WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN. YAY BASEBALL!!!

ATTQOTD: I wear compression socks when I run races and sometimes on my long training runs. Wanna know why? BECAUSE THEY ARE CUTE. There, I said it. I don't know if I feel a difference. Like, maybe my legs needed that compression between my 5k races this weekend because they felt great the whole day. But I saw ProCompression was having a sale one day and bought like 5 pairs, then they came out with AZ themed ones that I had to have. They are a pain to put on, but I found a video that helped me get them on without a huge battle.

QOTD: For fueling during your long run or you a "liquids" (think GU) or solids (think the jelly bean fuel) type of person and why?

I use GU Gel mostly because they are easy to carry and I know I tolerate them well. I go for the options with caffeine most of the time.

QOTD: Today lets discuss compression socks. Do you use them? Do you wear them while running or for recovery, or both? What would you suggest to someone who is looking to get a pair?

I have a pair of the CEP tall socks I use for recovery but am not very consistent in wearing them. I will often wear them while flying or driving to a race if I am landing close to race day. If I am feeling anything a little off in the calves I'll wear them post run for a few hours as well. If anyone is looking for a pair the CEP are the way to go and when I wear them I do feel like they help tough it could easily be the placebo effect. In all honest the $60 I paid for them is worth the placebo effect if that is all it is.

ATTQOTD yesterday: I have used the cliff shots, the sport beans, and tried the cliff blocks. Hated the blocks. Generally I prefer the beans. The last couple of times I tried a cliff shot it sat like an uncomfortable rock in my stomach. Previously they were fine.

ATTQOTD: I wear compression sleeves for recovery. I often wear them most of the day post long run. I have tried running in them but they make my calves cramp terribly so I don't do that anymore. I have also been known to wear them to work, but that is for an entirely different reason.

This week we have the following folks with races!

31 - @run.minnie.miles - The Early Bird 10 Miler (TBD / N/A)
31 - @rootbeerkid - Run the Bluegrass Half Marathon (1:59:59 / N/A)

Best of luck to each of you this weekend! Let me know if you need to make any revisions to your goal time. If anyone would like to add a race to the weekend list or for any other races, just let me know.
I am also doing the Diamondbacks race. Let's say my goal is under 33:52 as that would be a PR! I was sick on Tuesday and still recovering so let's see how it goes.

a few years back i trained with some folks that were big time compression sock advocates. they worked so hard to convert me. but, honestly, i never really felt the need to use them. almost all of my issues were addressable other ways. and, i my way of thinking, if i did have a problem i was struggling to resolve, they would remain an option to try.

now ice baths... THAT'S THE GOOD STUFF.

ATTQOTD: I also use compression socks for air travel and for recovery after long runs. I think they work wonders for both even if it is just a jedi mind trick

Previous ATTQOTD:

I have always toed the line believing I can finish although doubts sometimes creep in half way through. As for Barkley it's also a no unless it's a choice between that and eating something with Gravy on it and then I am taking my chances with the woods.

I've used cliff bloks and sports beans. Not a fan of GU and the inevitable mess I end up making with them.

A few years ago I had some significant blood clot episodes and am supposed to wear compression socks when working, traveling etc. I hate them and refuse to wear them when running.

My secondary reason for not wearing them is that I think they look ridiculous. Of course, my fashion sense measures fairly low on the scale so my opinion is not to be trusted.

A few years ago I had some significant blood clot episodes and am supposed to wear compression socks when working, traveling etc. I hate them and refuse to wear them when running.

My secondary reason for not wearing them is that I think they look ridiculous. Of course, my fashion sense measures fairly low on the scale so my opinion is not to be trusted.
It's funny you say this as I'll wear them sometimes when I take my client's photos and I've had many kids questioning them, like what are those? I'll be like "they make me run fast!" and then they think they are 'cool'.

Yesterday’s ATTQOTD: My first full marathon ruined clif shot bloks for me. I just got to the point of being too exhausted to chew. For my third full I decided to try Perpetuem Solids as I’m a huge fan of Hammer Nutrition products. Those things are insane to chew and same story towards the end of my race-just too tired to even think about using them. I thankfully had a couple of gels to help me get through the end of that full and PR!

Now I mainly stick with my go-to Hammer Nutrition gel flavor: Nocciola (tastes like Nutella!) and sometimes a citrus Clif Shot gel if I need some caffeine at the end of a race.

For long training runs, I’ll use the orange vanilla HEED and then Recoverite post-run (both Hammer Nutrition products).

Today’s ATTQOTD: I received a free pair of compression socks, but I really despise anything crazy tight so haven’t tried them.... And probably never will.:rolleyes1

ATTQOTD: I wear compression socks when I run races and sometimes on my long training runs. Wanna know why? BECAUSE THEY ARE CUTE. There, I said it. I don't know if I feel a difference. Like, maybe my legs needed that compression between my 5k races this weekend because they felt great the whole day. But I saw ProCompression was having a sale one day and bought like 5 pairs, then they came out with AZ themed ones that I had to have. They are a pain to put on, but I found a video that helped me get them on without a huge battle.

Yes! I just added a pair of donut print ones to my Amazon wish list. I’ll buy them if I ever run a donut race. I’m wearing them for Darkside weekend. Black to go with Darth Vader costume and white to go with my storm trooper costume.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter