The Running Thread - 2018

Has anyone done the BMO Vancouver Marathon? I'm still planning on trying a full marathon again and it will probably be Disney, but I'm looking at other options too. This race has a 7 hour limit, so that's nice, and it has a lot of seaside views. It seems smaller and less waiting around before the race, and it's in May so no worry about cold weather. But I'm reading mixed reports about the hills. Some say the hills are really tough and some say it's not so bad. I guess it depends on what you're used to from training but I was wondering if anyone here had experience with this race. Thanks!

As far as the QOTD, I generally treat myself with a nice brunch with other running friends after every race, PR or not :)

I hope he's planning to bring a case of those things to Chicago this fall!!

LOL! We'll see. They're about 3-4 pounds each so having my wife lug them around at the Milwaukee 10k/HM last fall was definitely a chore for her (she's a saint to put up with me). I'd need a fork-lift to transport that many more around Chicago (and guessing that might not get through security).

ATTQOTD: I'm fairly new to racing but after my first race I rewarded myself with a couple of Great Lakes Christmas Ales. Good local beer in the Cleveland area.

LOL! We'll see. They're about 3-4 pounds each so having my wife lug them around at the Milwaukee 10k/HM last fall was definitely a chore for her (she's a saint to put up with me). I'd need a fork-lift to transport that many more around Chicago (and guessing that might not get through security).

Nah. Just have them drop shipped from the bakery to your hotel...

Has anyone done the BMO Vancouver Marathon? I'm still planning on trying a full marathon again and it will probably be Disney, but I'm looking at other options too. This race has a 7 hour limit, so that's nice, and it has a lot of seaside views. It seems smaller and less waiting around before the race, and it's in May so no worry about cold weather. But I'm reading mixed reports about the hills. Some say the hills are really tough and some say it's not so bad. I guess it depends on what you're used to from training but I was wondering if anyone here had experience with this race. Thanks!

Haven't done this race but Vancouver is beautiful! Checked out the route and it goes through some really nice spots.

Just a thought about the dog repellent conversation. I was thinking maybe one of those personal alarms that make a loud noise would probably keep a dog at bay without hurting it.
I have ran with one of those alarms for the last year & a half, I've never used it on a dog out running but have set it off on accident a few times since I've dropped it and it is very loud so it might help at least startle the dog for sure.

it's been awhile since i've done a RnR race but, in my experience, this was par for the course. and i mean that in a generally positive way. they have gotten very good at pulling off these large events and this was no exception. but there are unavoidable hassles with large events.
  • there were bands on platforms or DJs every few miles and the mile markers had music playing. mostly you got the regular cover-band style music but they were all into it so it was fun. there were a few people running with speakers on their backs which was annoying as hell. i have no idea if they were part of the "experience"
  • the start went pretty smoothly. since the corrals were not physically separated there were a LOT of slower runners way ahead of where they should have been. it made the congestion on the first part of the race pretty significant. there were no strollers or pets, so that made up for it somewhat.
  • the water stops were every two miles when possible. these were pretty well run for a race this size. the biggest issue was novice runners not knowing how to queue through (please don't dead stop in front of people). but that's par for the course with a big race like this. they also had regular gatorade and not that soy weirdness.
  • the medical tents were placed regularly along the route and their personnel were pretty active monitoring the runners. as i said, it was really humid. i saw no less than three runners down on the course. (my friend who was a spectator says he saw one guy veer off the route at about mile nine, pull out his cell phone and call a ride)
  • i thought they did a great job of the finish line. it was easy to move through despite the post-race zombie walk. the offerings were solid and easy to get to. the reception area was well arranged and large enough to handle the crowd.
if i felt up to another big race, i'd seriously consider one of theirs.
Thank you! That really helps prepare for my Montreal RnR in September.

Reassuring regarding the water, Gatorade and medical stations. In 2017, RnR had to cancel the full Marathon in Montreal due to heat and humidity. There were still a lot of heat related issues during the Half. So congratulations on letting go the ideal PR in favor of a healthy finish!

Good to know that the corrals are not really respected, I’ll try to stay with the proper pacer and let him/her figure out the ajustements due to the crowd :rolleyes1

I’ll report on the music once I will have lived it. :rockband:

Last time I had a PR @DopeyBadger gave me a fritter and it was one of the best things ever!
#GOALS

ATTQOTD: Like most everyone else here, I like to celebrate regardless of a PR or not. Food, booze, another race, etc... But I feel like I might actually have to reward myself in a different way if I hit my 10k & HM time goals for the year. Hmmm, gonna plan on what I can put together.

Speaking of PRs, here is my race re-cap from the Carlsbad All Day 20k!

ATTQOTD: My biggest treat after a race where I meet my objective (not always a PR) is to start planning the next big race for which I am not already registered...
Plus, I am generally not hungry after a race but I still eat.

ATTQOTD: I haven't really ran a lot of races and the ones I have were all disney races so I splurged and treated myself with pandora charms for my first race at that distance. 10K was the run disney charm, Half was a tinkeberll one, Full/Dopey went for the gusto and got 4 one representing each park. Once I get back to the land of races a plenty and hopefully PR's it will more likely be food/beverage rewards

So congratulations on letting go the ideal PR in favor of a healthy finish!

to be completely honest, it's not like i had a lot of choice.

i'd suggest double checking all the details with that particular race as there might be variations from city to city on how they run things. but, overall, it has been my experience they have pretty strong organizational and logistical skills. best of luck.

Last time I had a PR @DopeyBadger gave me a fritter and it was one of the best things ever!

Agrees on all accounts!!

(she's a saint to put up with me).

Her halo would be a giant fritter. :)

ATTQOTD: I usually have one thing in mind post race (after the initial catching my breath/returning to normal/drinking my water/eating my banana) and that is a coffee or diet coke or a beer or all three....depending on the weather/time of day, etc.

@LSUlakes I ran the Shamrock Shuffle 8k with my husband and father-in-law this weekend. Their goal was to break an hour but get close to 55 min if possible. I acted as a pacer and did not race for a PR. Official was 57:50.
Well off my normal pace but was a lot of fun to work on setting a pace and learned a lot about when to push and when not to. And about the heart someone has who is working really hard despite things not going perfectly. Recap coming tonight (I hope)
On the bright side, I am invigorated to get back to racing solo at my next one. So many people I wanted to pass!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter