The Running Thread - 2018

I Like LSULakes idea! Are there even races that do that? It would be SO MUCH BETTER! Bib pick up for local races are terrible - efficient as can be, but so many people trying to cram into a small space inside the running stores, or line up right before a race when everyone is a bit too high strung.

Living in the Baton Rouge area, there is a big 10k the Saturday before Easter called the Crescent City Classic 10k. for $5 more and before a certain date they mail it to you. This race is interesting as it has two types of people in it. The runners and drinkers. It is very interesting and well attended race in NOLA. The only race that I think "pick up by show of ID" should be Marathons for the whole Boston thing. Outside of that, who cares who is running with a certain bib... blah blah insurance stuff.

ATTQOTD: I'm somewhere between like and hate. Not much of a shopper so I usually just cruise past the vendors. However, sometimes it's nice to experience some of the pre race excitement at an expo. For some reason a lot of our local races will host a packet pickup the day before then require you to pickup your timing chip day of race. That really bugs me. I want to be able to get everything at once and preferably before race day.

I generally like expos for big races. I like the hype and excitement to gear up for race day. And I like the opportunity to scope out new things that might be out there that I would be interested in. And free samples :)

ATTQOTD: I despise expos. Although I love WDW, I get nervous in large crowds- which really doesn't make sense, must be the pixie dust. So a large crowd inside a venue almost makes me nauseous. There's normally tight walkways too. And I really hate the expos that make you walk through the vendors to get your stuff. This question reminds me to review my race this weekend...

Newport News One City Maritime 8K (I think this is the title):

So I did the 8K, my husband ran the full. This is the 4th year it has been put on, but first time we've done it. It's 2 weeks out from the big local race weekend (Shamrock), so I think that's a major turn-off for some. There's also no half option, however there is a 2 and 4 person marathon relay option.

I cannot call what we went to an Expo. It was a bib pick-up. There were a handful of vendors, but they were banks, timeshares, Lularoe, orthopedists, etc. I've never actually been approached by a vendor while walking and I was twice here; it felt like the people at the mall kiosks. It felt a little aggressive. We only spent about 10 minutes here, but it took an hour to get there and an hour to get home. I was also not thrilled with the email communication; if you're not a local and know the streets, their instructions are confusing. I don't go to this part of our area often, so I didn't like that.

I had to drop my husband off at the marathon start line shuttle at 6 AM. Security shut down a road 30 minutes early, so that was fun trying to navigate.

The 8K was fine. I was in Corral 1, but only because there were 2 corrals: first was for 10-minute and under miles, second was for anything slower. I did start towards the back and to the right because I was scared everyone was going to be much faster. The course itself was boring. We still had some of the high gusts from the nor'easter (thankfully we never had rain or snow, just high winds). The first mile included 2 overpasses. That first hill nearly killed me, it was so hard when you're not used to any incline! The wind was blowing from the north so it was pushing me over to the right. The first mile marker was at the top of the second overpass. It was pretty hard to control my breath so I switched to 2/1 intervals for miles 2-4. Still kept a good pace and was able to get comfortable. Miles 1-3 the wind was against us, then it was on our back 3-finish so I had good splits at the end. There were 3 water stops, but I had my handheld so I never needed them. The finish line party was on the water, but it was so cold. They did have patio heaters up which was nice. Since I had to wait around, I got some food then watched the marathon finish line. I got to see the winner and then lots of BQs! I love watching people BQ, it's really emotional.

One of my complaints about the marathon is the timing of the kids final mile race. They use the same finish line as the marathoners. The lanes were coned, but a lot of children did not obey the cones and were running into the marathon lane where people were pushing at the end. The final mile began at the 3 hour mark for the marathon, i.e. prime BQ time. I would have been livid if I was pushing for a BQ at the finish and had to dodge kids. This definitely needs to be reworked.

My husband said the marathon course was really boring, but luckily a friend ran with him until the last few miles.

Also, our times are off by a few seconds. Mine is 14 seconds slower, his might be about 30. Not a big deal. I don't think either of us would do this race again, it was okay, but there's far better options this time of year.

Last edited:

QOTD: Race expos, like them or hate them? Why?

Love them, mostly. I like shopping and meandering, so any opportunity to meander around and look at running stuff is a plus in my book. I'm really excited to see what the expo for my race next week is like.

The mostly is because I'm lightly claustrophobic and have some crowd anxiety, so these things can sometimes be a bit much for me. But mostly I enjoy them

Not running related, but I booked my first Disney cruise yesterday for 2019! I am bursting to tell someone because we aren’t telling kids yet because it is so far away.

Running related: going to get an MRI today on my lower leg. I have had some pain for almost 2 weeks. I know what it probably is. Sigh.
You are going to love DCL! I just booked another one! It took me over an hour to get through on Tuesday and then I was on hold for an hour and 15 minutes. Good thing it was a slow day at work.

Sorry to hear about your leg. Hope it's not too serious.

I don't generally mind going to expo's. For big races like NY, Chicago or Marine Corps the expo can be kind of an event.

ATTQOTD: I am in the undecided group. I really liked the Rock n' Roll expo, but Disney expos give me crazy anxiety for some reason. Our local races have no expos, just bib pickup. I love race day pickup, but that is usually not an option unless you pay extra.

ATTQOTD: I like expos. I like free samples. I like when they sell booze. I like looking at stuff. And because I live in a small town, I can usually rely on the good expos to have things that I need and can't get here. What I don't like is navigating to expos. I feel like they are always in the middle of a city and you have to pay so much to park and go in. I am also with @LSUlakes and wouldn't mind an option to have bibs sent to me for some races.

I like them. I find them to be a good place to stock up on shoes and other useful items at a discount.
same! I've gotten great deals at local expos.
And though I've never bought anything besides official runDisney gear at a runDisney expo, it is just another event to add to the anticipation which I enjoy.

ATTQOTD: I have mixed feelings about them. I love being able to see items and try on clothes that I cannot get in my little town. But I also am slightly claustrophobic and crowds pressing in can quickly get my anxiety level up. At the expo for the Little Rock Marathon last Saturday I picked up my bib, went to a running store booth and bought my Sports Beans then looked around for the Spare Parts booth. I had seen on FB that they had brought some of their new style of skirt with them and wanted to try it on. We must have walked the full expo 6 times before I gave up, then as we were leaving I saw the booth right at the entrance/exit. I had a pounding headache and was almost on full meltdown by then! They should have had an expo map for such a large event. And no one I asked knew where anything was, including the people putting it on (although they may have just been volunteers).

Also, @LSUlakes not a huge deal but I got my race time for the marathon last Sunday emailed to me and it was corrected to 5:55:00. :)

ATTQOTD: I don't mind expos. I like to look around, although I rarely buy anything...well, except for pint glasses. I'm a total sucker for pint glasses! :drinking1

Non-running question but I trust you guys for park information too :) My parents are taking some family from India to Disney World in April and I'm trying to help them out with planning. There will be 7 adults and a 1 year old! I don't have kids and have never gone with a child that young. So I'm going to be making fast pass reservations for the group, how does child swap work? Do I just go ahead and make them all fast pass reservations and if it's for a ride the baby can't go on, one person stays off and then goes on the ride with their FP after the others get back?

The baby will have a birthday when they're at Disney World. My mom was asking if there's anything special they should do for a child that age on her birthday. What do you guys think? She's so young that I imagine she's just going to have fun running around and playing and stuff. She's never seen characters before and I don't know if they would scare her so I'm not sure a character meal would make sense. And I brought up the idea of BBB but apparently she hate's getting fussed with and stuff (I hear you kid, me too).

Any tips from people who've gone with kids that young before?

Thanks!

ATTQOTD: I think I like expos more than I don’t but some really can get on my nerves when they aren’t organized or run well. Having packet pickup at a place that only had a few parking spots is one of the most annoying things I have encountered. I tend to get more excited about expos that are bigger races becasue they usually have a lot of stuff out for people to check out.

Yesterday’s question: I don’t think I have ever got lost before but I always try to map out where I am going to run because I run based on mileage instead of for time. My husband actually likes that I leave the route up for my longer runs for him just in case he would need to come get me for an emergency, etc.

ATTQOTD: I like certain expos (i.e. Star Wars) but dislike most. We didn't buy anything at the Princess Expo this past time and we wouldn't have bought anything at the Marathon Weekend but we needed some cold weather gear just in case for my husband. We've been in and out in 45 minutes a lot recently but we drive so that helps the annoyance of going there.

QOTD: Race expos, like them or hate them? Why?

ATTQOTD: I hate going to race expos. If I could get my bibs mailed to me, even for extra money I would do it every time. I dislike the waste of time going to a expo for something that take 10 minutes but waste half of my day doing it.

I would like to like expos, but I never do. I can never go at off-hours, and so they always seem to be packed so much that you can hardly move, let alone browse merchandise.

Last year's Marine Corps Marathon expo was particularly bad for this. I am a local for the race, but the expo was held at the Convention Center at National Harbor. There is literally no direct metro service...they had arranged a free shuttle bus from a relatively nearby metro stop. Since I had to go on Saturday, with the Saturday metro service levels, the metro ride would've been about 90 minutes one-way, then the shuttle bus.

So, I elected to drive - the Convention Center is almost exactly halfway around the DC beltway from where I live, so it took about 45 minutes because there is always some sort of traffic problem. Then they charged the regular rate for parking...up to one hour is $12 and up to two hours is $18. I did buy a couple of shirts and there was a huge line for the check-out. I considered browsing the expo booths, but it was literally so full that you couldn't move unless the person beside you moved. But getting OUT was a huge effort so the whole thing took me about 1:15, so I paid $18 to park at the darn expo. (To be fair, they were offering a $12 flat-rate parking fee, but looking at my watch, I thought I'd make the hour cut-off. What did I know?) Then it was 45 minutes home. Sigh.

I very much dislike when just going to the expo costs so much time and money. I already paid how much for the race, and now additional frustration?

I say all this dreading my visit to the Rock N Roll DC expo tomorrow to pick up my bib for the HM. At least it is metro-accessible, at the DC Armory.

ATTQOTD: I have only experienced rundisney expos. I preferred the DL ones over WDW. There seemed to be more elbow room. However, we mostly arrived late evening so it could have been time of day. My kids like looking for free stuff and free samples. We have an abundance of cow bells and cold packs. I think it was Cliff one time at DL that had a booth giving out free samples of bars and gels my husband and kids got in line like 7 times. At marathon weekend we tried the fueling potatoes, actually not bad. May have to try on a run once to see how they work. I think the carrying would be the hardest.

ATTQOTD:
Expo Pros:
I like shopping.
I like seeing a product in person or trying something on.
I like clearance running gear.
I like seeing upcoming race booths with their swag on display.
It gets me hyped.

Expo Cons:
If I am on vacation (yes, you disney) I don't want to be at an expo. I'm fine standing in line or whatever on a random Saturday at home when I don't really have anything else to do. Then the expo becomes the thing I am doing that day. But to carve out HOURS during my nice family vacation just to get a shirt and a bib...no thank you. I'd pay a large sum of money to pick it up at the hotel front desk along with pre-ordered items.
Disneyland may be the exception...I liked being able to walk there and not wait for a bus for hours. but I still waited until 4pm the last expo day to buy merch.
I've also learned to hate being in the first race of a weekend and having to show up on the same day as everyone else doing all the races....bliss is only running the half or 10k or whatever and showing up a day or two later.

So in summary...I don't like lines when I could be having fun elsewhere.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter