The Running Thread - 2018

I have not gotten lost on a run. We have a very consistent 3 mile route that we run a lot. It's a nice neighborhood and not too far from home. We are in the process of mapping out longer runs for this spring/summer. It's honestly really hard to get lost where we live as we are very familiar with the area. Same if we run at my in-laws in Maine. The issues there is just boredom.

Unrelated though - When I lived in London one of my friend's and I would go on random walks through the city. We wouldn't map them out ahead of time and our one rule was we needed to walk to and from the flat - no public transport. One night we went on a 10 mile walk (wasn't planned to be that long) and saw so much of the city.

ATTQOTD: The 2013 Big D Marathon when the morons of Mellew Productions added more than 1.5 miles to the race course (here are some reviews of the event). These classy folks later blamed the police, saying that patrol car at the front of the race went the wrong route. I might have bought that except every other aspect of the race was a complete disaster as well (and, if it was the case, why weren't their people ensuring this didn't happen?). As for refunds or even apologies, LOLNOPE.

ATTQOTD: One time on a trip to NYC. I didn’t feel lost, just took some random turns and explored. Maybe not the smartest idea doing this by myself. Made it 5 miles and then got a cab back to the hotel so I didn’t have to find my way back!

ATTQOTD: yup. When we first moved to FL I used to get lost all the time. We lived in a quiet subdivision, but once I went a half mile in any direction it was busy roads with tons of traffic. I didn’t enjoy car fumes so I’d come up with creative routes through the nearby subdivisions which were created with crazy street layouts. I have no sense of direction. I’d map out a route ahead of time, but even when I wrote down the street names on my hand I still got lost. I used google maps to navigate my way home. Now where I live in central FL it’s pretty hard to get lost.

QOTD: While out for a run, have you ever made a wrong turn and then later realize you are lost? How did that end up for you? Extra mileage to your run?
ATTQOTD: Nope, never. Because Map app on my phone. :)Actually, everything's set up as a grid here, so it would be impossible to actually be lost. But I like to explore new streets on my long runs, and if I'm not sure where they'll eventually end up, I'll stop and look at the map first.

I've gotten lost a couple times. There was one time where a friend and I were trying a new route which was supposed to be a 10 mile loop. However, we ended up back at the beginning around mile 5! We had somehow gotten off the loop and gotten turned around but we just did an out and back to get the remaining mileage we needed.

Another time a different friend and I decided to hop off the paved paths and try a trail run. This was a spontaneous decision and we hadn't mapped it out in advance. It was definitely a mistake as we didn't end up where planned. But we were able to find are way back to where we started eventually and it was a fun little adventure that probably added an extra 1-2 miles to our day. And we weren't training for anything specific at the time and were fine just walking when needed.

Can I use my Disney Visa rewards points(dollars) at the runDisney booth at the expo next month?

I usually use the Disney Visa at the expo because you get a discount. :) Although maybe you just need to show the card for the discount, not actually use it.

Yes you can use the Disney rewards points card to purchase items at the expo. I have also used disney gift cards at the expo in DL. I also use the Disney visa for the discount. You used to be able to just show it and then use the reward card. At marathon weekend the made me use the visa card if I wanted the discount. Up to you on whats the better deal.

I did a race that didn't have cups at the water stops but gave these out. I like it for what it is. During my long runs last summer I clipped it to my shorts and when I ran past drinking fountains I filled it up to get a drink and dump some water over my head. I'm guessing you know you don't run with it full, it is for filling and drinking immediately.

The sports nutritionist that conducted a seminar at my local running store was talking about them last night and passed one around. I was interested in the concept as I can never manage to drink safely under race conditions and know I need to find a way to get more fluid during a race. I can not hand carry a bottle (backpack/waist style does not work either), so was hoping this might have promise. Sounds like it does.

QOTD: How many different runDisney events have you participated in? We will also include Castaway Cay 5k at any time and the run held at Port Orleans.

ATTQOTD: I have only run Marathon Weekend. I would like to run F&W and I may try to get the Port Orleans run in during our September trip if things work out. If I ever take a cruise the Castaway Cay 5k will be required.

I did TOT 2014
Marathon 2016
Marathon 2018

Only Marathon Weekend (many times) and the Disneyland half weekend (once). I'm disappointed I missed the ToT night race.

Wait, I thought you ran this? You were on that thread, right?

Yes to this a million times! :(
Yep, that race and the after party were so much fun. So hoping it comes back when construction is done, and as a NIGHT RACE.

QOTD: While out for a run, have you ever made a wrong turn and then later realize you are lost? How did that end up for you? Extra mileage to your run?

ATTQOTD: I've been lost more than once. Most of the time it resulted in little to no extra distance and the rest of the route was known and I was able to skip a section to get to the distance I wanted. One of the times I got lost was with a group run and we missed a turn. We ended up in a not so great part of town. That mile or so in that area had everyone running more towards race pace until we got back to our normal areas. We did end up with a extra mile on that one. I also made a wrong turn running around the campgrounds at WDW. By chance my aunt was staying there and was driving around on a golf cart. She pointed me in the right direction and as was well.

I have not gotten lost yet but I am moving and when I start running outside again it's a possibility. But it will all work out. Might just add a few miles to the run, that's all.

ATTQOTD: I've never gotten lost because in a town of only 8,000 people, I'd have to be a real idiot to get lost here. I mean, I AM a real idiot, but that hasn't resulted in me getting lost. Yet.

A couple of questions...

1. Can I use my Disney Visa rewards points(dollars) at the runDisney booth at the expo next month?
2. If I'm not getting to said expo until the last day, will it be pretty slim pickin's when it comes to merch that's left, or will there still be plenty of options available?
You should be able to use Disney Visa rewards at the expo. As for merchandise availability at the Expo, that depends on how popular the merchandise is. Race specific merchandise is more likely to be sold out than standard runDisney merchandise.

In 2017, all runDisney Star Wars Light Side shoe ornaments and Light Side race jackets were sold out before I made it to the Expo on Friday afternoon. However, they still had a lot of race tumblers, magnets, pins, shirts both of the I did it and race weekend variety. For 2017 Dark Side, I went at opening on day 1 and had no trouble finding anything including ornaments and jackets. This meant that I had to resort to ebay for the Light Side ornament.

For 2017 Avengers, by Friday afternoon the only thing they had limited sizes available for Coast to Coast merchandise and I bought the last I did it shirt then in stock. Ornaments, race jackets, pins, and most other shirts were available. But my understanding is that Avengers was always the most difficult race for runDisney to sell on the west coast anyways.

And with all things runDisney, what happened at one expo one year may not even be close to what happens at the same expo for another year.

ATTQOTD: Once at night I got disoriented and sort of lost in my neighborhood. Had it been light, I would have figured out where I was, but since it was dark, I got confused but eventually figured out where I needed to be.

This week we have the following folks with a race:

10 - @Bree - HOPE's Sham Rock N Run 5k (34:59 / N/A)
10 - @avondale - RNR Washington DC Half Marathon (2:07:00 / N/A)
10 - @beatlecat42 - RNR Washington DC Half Marathon (NG / N/A)
10 - @BikeFan - RNR Washington DC Marathon (NG / N/A)
10 - @KingLlama - Lucky Leprechaun 10 Miler (NG / N/A)
10 - @Miranda - Run Before You Crawl 5K (NG / N/A)
10 - @cburnett11 - Anthem 5k Fitness Classic (22:xx / N/A)
10 - JulieODC - Mick morgans 5k (29:30 / NA)
11 - LSUlakes - Amazing Half Marathon (2:30:00 / N/A)
11 - @HomeiswhereMickeyis - Gateway to Space 10k (1:45:00 / N/A)

Good luck to everyone racing this weekend! If you need to make a revision to your goal or if someone would like to add a race, just let me know and I will be happy to make the adjustment.

I have a half this weekend that was meant to be a POT race. I failed to prepare myself, but think I am going to run it anyway. I have one last chance with a race on March 24 to somehow get a sub 2 hour half in.

Last edited:
Attqotd: I've been on a few long runs where I've zened (combo or zen and zoned) out and ended up a block or two off of where I intended. It doesn't help that chicago thinks street signs are optional. I usually can zig zag back to my intended end mileage because of the beautiful grid system. The long diagonal streets are tricky though. My shorter runs are all routes I have memorized to every qtr or half mile by now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter