The Running Thread - 2018

ATTQOTD: Going through a HM training plan a couple years ago where I was SUPPOSED to be running 3x a week (two 30 min runs on weekdays and then a long run on weekends), but kept finding reasons to skip the 30 minute weekday runs. I was looking at my training history for that training cycle a month or so ago for something, and was horrified to realize that I'd done something ridiculous like 7 or 8 weeks of only doing a long run one day a week. SPOILER ALERT I did not PR that HM. :rolleyes:

ATTQOTD: I think my worst decisions are usually skipping runs.

My most recent bad decision was just last Sunday. I ran outside and even though I was freezing, I stupidly kept going. I think the cold air on my lungs aggravated a little bug and turned into full on wheezing-bronchitis. I normally try to just do easy runs or walk with a cold, but that lung wheezing sidelined me all of last week. My 1st run back last night was rough. Can't wait to feel better soon and kick this cold!

Worst running decision - heading out and getting caught in a terrible storm and having to hideout in a vet clinic! I trusted the weatherman & thought I had time. It came in super fast and was sooo much lightening I got freaked out big time.

Refusing to go to the doctor after falling during a run where he thinks he may have broken his arm. He doesn't want to not to be able to run.

Myself - doing races without training.
Oh no, did he just fall? I hope it's not broken or anything major. I still have side effects from fall last fall where I sprained both arms & always feel awful when I hear others fall.

ATTQOTD: skipping bathrooms thinking I can make it to the next one even though I had a baby bouncing on my bladder.

Actually if there's ever even a whisper of a thought while passing a portapotty, I've usually come to regret it later.

For racing: going out too fast and thinking it's sustainable

February:
Total: 15-20?
Pace: 10:20ish
Battling stress fracture / muscle tear / injury

ATTQOTD: Absolutely my worst is trying to run through illness. Never pays off. Training for my first marathon I was so stubborn, I turned a cough into bronchitis that required a course of prednisone to clear up. I ran a half for proof of time over that time and coughed so hard at the finish line I threw up. I still try this mind-over-matter crap all the time and it never ever is the right move.

@Dis5150 Congrats! That is amazing you stuck out the race in those conditions plus had a PR! You earned every bit of that giant medal.

@Dis_Yoda Why are men so stubborn? I hope it's nothing serious.

ATTQOTD: My worst mistake is skipping runs. One leads to another which last year led to months of not running.

Early in my running journey, I always tried running fast each run. PR the training run. Took me a little while to figure out that was not the best way to do things.

Running a marathon way undertrained, and one that was quite hilly. The last 10 miles was no fun at all when I did not have much left. That sits as my worst marathon time.

ATTQOTD: Eating Taco Bell for lunch then going on a 9 mile run an hour later....no bueno!

Ran the Myrtle Beach half on Saturday morning and sadly, it didn’t go the way I wanted to at all. Friday was windy the whole drive down and got worse the closer we got to Myrtle. The weather predictions had said that the wind would die down Friday night and bring in a cold front Saturday morning. After hearing the wind smacking against the wall of my parents camper through the night, I knew the wind was here to stay. The first five miles of the race were really good as I was on pace to finish under 2:09:58 which was my goal. The wind gusts picked up from every once and awhile to basically the entire time from miles 5 on for me. Miles 7.5 to 11.5 were brutal because the course took us on the road right off the water. 20 mph wind blew from every direction and it really affected me. People were losing their hats all around them and water cups were flying as everyone was attempting to toss them in the trash cans at stops. I don’t normally look at my watch during races but I knew a PR was not going to happen around but mike 9 when I accidentally saw my time as I was adjusting my sleeve. I was disappointed and felt a little stupid even putting it out there of what I wanted to finish in. It was just a frustrating morning because I felt ready. The course was flat and not super crowded but the weather just didn’t cooperate. Ended up finishing in 2:14. Feeling better about it now that I am back home. My only complaint besides the weather (which of course no one can control) was that the course was short and the mile markers were off (like really off) from mile 1 on. I would recommend this race to anyone. Parking was easy, nice set up for the expo, nice shirt and medal, good communication, and a nice flat course.

ATTQOTD: I first thought,"I don't think I have made any bad running decisions". Then after reading everyone's answers, I remember that I have made many, many bad decisions. I must have blocked them from memory.

1) Denying the severity of an injury. This led to a crappy, horrible experience at Monumental Marathon a few years ago.
2) Not checking weather before I leave the house (especially in spring and summer). I was in the middle of a long run when a bad thunderstorm moved through. I do my long runs on a bike trail in the middle of cornfields on the Ohio/Indiana border. I felt so exposed, waiting to be struck by lightening. It did make me move faster so I could get back to my car.
3) Taking time off--I rarely do it.
4) Relying on the fountains at the park for my long run. It was a very warm spring day and stupid park hadn't turned them on yet. I started fantasizing about knocking a biker off their bike and stealing whatever fluid they were carrying. I HATE carrying water and rarely do, but I have discovered my limits (and learned to drink from sinks in bathrooms).

I am sure there are others I don't remember.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter