The Running Thread - 2018

ATTQOTD: I will have to go with my 2016 Tink Half/Pixie challenge medals. This was my first half, first challenge, and first solo run as I normally run with my family. It is also still the best mother's day. My kids both got the "My mom ran the Tinkerbell half" shirts from the expo and wore them proudly the day of the race and surprised me showing up at 4 different spots on the course to cheer me on. Having the tables turned and them cheering and encourage me instead of me in the stands watching them race still makes me smile. They still even wear the shirts today and out in public. Makes me happy.

I haven't, but one of my running buddies has run it several times. Happy to ping him if you have specific questions!
I have been trying to find a race for the fall that is falling in that certain time frame and since I was in the Navy this one sounds right up my alley. I used to live in MD back in the day, but remind me what the weather is like in September there? Is it humid and gross?

ATTQOTD: i don't know if any single medal means much more than any others i've collected. the satisfaction comes from seeing the whole group of them.
Same here!

Then, ask me the question in 10 years, please.

Have yall ever been asked to run a race in memory of someone? I've recently been asked to run a race I was not planning on. I was actually planning another half as a back up POT race as its my last opportunity, but I feel like I should do this for them. Theres also a Disney tie to this, that also pulls at my heart to just do it and deal with the corral placement later.... Travel up north before Oct for a cheap trip for a half....

ATTQOTD: Favorite medal is my 2012 Coast-to-Coast. I earned it during my first-and only-visit to Disneyland!

PHM update: The PT was so successful that I had absolutely no hip pain during the 10K and the Half. I am in awe of my awesome physical therapist!! I am thankful for being pain-free during the races because the heat and humidity were brutal! DH was hit with some heat-related issues at mile 4, so we walked a lot. He was feeling better by mile 9 and we ran intervals until mile 12. At that point, he sent me on my merry way and I finished strong. He finished, went straight to the medical tent and sat down on a pallet of ice! He said no one checked on him “because they were swamped in there with people who were really sick.”

ATTQOTD: Not a medal, but a ribbon. This is from the 1 mile puppy trot I did in October with my boys. It was so fun to do this with them. Simon is my baby, he’s the mini schnauzer up top and I ran with him. He finished in 17th place. My husband pushed Dusty in the stroller, he’s a 16 year old Lhasa Apso. We took him in almost 3 years ago from my husband’s grandmother. It was also my husband’s birthday. It was just a really great family affair and a great way to support our humane society. I made this little collage afterwards and it’s hanging in our living room. Every time I see it, it makes me smile. 065A21F2-E58E-4647-9978-4448C60142D6.jpeg

ATTQOTD: This is more difficult to answer than I thought it would be. I could make an argument for the 2011 Disneyland Half because it was my first and the self inflicted challenges I overcame because I decided half a mile into the race that I would either finish the race or be swept. I would not quit.

I can make a very strong argument for the 2015 Inaugural Star Wars Half and Rebel Challenge medals because the Star Wars Half medal at Disneyland is designed after the medal Leia gives Luke and Han at end of the original 1977 Star Wars movie. The Rebel Challenge medal because it marked my first multi event challenge. There was a point in time when I dared not run a 5K the day before a half because I feared it could wreak havoc with finishing the half.

I could also argue for the 2017 Avengers Half only because I ran it on 3 weeks training. As the potential end of Disneyland races, I also reflected a lot on the confidence I had gained that I didn't hold a few years earlier when I first started. If you'd told me during that very first race, that in six years I would be running through Disneyland again on just 3 weeks training and believe I could finish, I would have wondered just how many illegal mind altering substances you were on that day.

But in the end, my favorite medal is the 2017 Kessel Run medal. Because that race was mere days after the busiest work deadline of the year filled with 2+ weeks worth of 12 hour days 6-7 days a week and months worth of 10 hour days 6 days a week, I wasn't even sure if I could find the right balance between the professional demands which must take priority and the necessary training to finish a half marathon.

My solution: Use 2016 as a trial run of sorts. Train during busy season to make sure I could handle both the professional demands and training demands. If training proved to be too much, then I could stop training and lament what might have been. So I trained for a race knowing that I might never get to actually run it.

Suffice it to say, I learned that I could handle my professional responsibilities and train to successfully finish a multi race challenge weekend. So the 2017 Kessel Run was a Rebel Challenge and Dark Side Challenge Coast to Coast challenge 2 years in the training. The fact that it featured the side bonus of the 10th Anniversary Coast to Coast medal with both Sleeping Beauty Castle and Cinderella Castle was icing on the cake.

Have yall ever been asked to run a race in memory of someone? I've recently been asked to run a race I was not planning on. I was actually planning another half as a back up POT race as its my last opportunity, but I feel like I should do this for them. Theres also a Disney tie to this, that also pulls at my heart to just do it and deal with the corral placement later.... Travel up north before Oct for a cheap trip for a half....
This isn't the answer you're probably looking for, but I sort of run in honor of my ancestors from over 150 years ago. I'm a descendant of Mormon pioneers who fled persecution in Illinois and crossed the plains to settle in Utah. They endured so many trials and challenges because of their beliefs. During that very first race when I had to run up a freeway overpass in Anaheim, I thought of my ancestors and what how they had to walk for days on end with just rest overnight and did not find Disneyland or a shiny medal waiting for them at the end. As I thought of them, I knew I had to continue.

I will not even begin to compare my brief challenges during a race to what they faced every day. But during every single race, I always find myself thinking of them at some point. And I took a photo of Pioneer Street during the Star Wars Half because it reminded me of them. In a sense, I run for my ancestors. It has certainly given me a far greater appreciation of what they suffered physically and I hope it helps me be better in living up the legacy of faith and kindness they left me.

ATTQOTD: My most meaningful medal isn’t even made of metal. Two years ago my husband and I ran the Castaway Cay 5k (not the challenge one). I’ve run many 5ks, but the story behind that trip made it so much more meaningful. The cruise itself was a spontaneous booking after we had to cancel our Disney trip earlier that year as I was going through chemo treatments and couldn’t get the clearance to go. I had my last treatment in mid-December and rather than rebook the trip we decided, “hey let’s go on a cruise instead.” I wanted to do the 5k, but my husband didn’t think it was a great idea. He brought along the running clothes anyway and I talked him into it on the boat. I hadn’t run much (if at all) that year and the race itself was very humid, but that run showed my husband that I was ok. It showed myself that I was ok. It had been a very tough year, but we made it through.

February totals:
48.03 miles
10:43 avg pace

On week 7 of a 17 week plan for a half marathon, so far going strong! Very happy with the mileage and the consistency. Goal: I’ll have a race to report by the end of month as that will mean I registered.

Edited: fix mileage and pace to remove cross training.

I haven't, but I'm considering it.

My little brother died in his sleep this past September. 39 years old, leaving behind a wife, a nine-year-old daughter, and a five-month-old son. No health issues, either....just boom, gone.

Star Wars will be my first half, but there's another half four weeks later, and it falls on his birthday. I'm thinking of running it in his honor, assuming the SW race goes okay.

AT(yesterday's)QOTD: I've written and deleted this post a few times because it contains a lot of personal info that I never share on the interwebz. I would have to go with my 2017 Glass Slipper Challenge medal. In January 2015 DH was in a really bad motorcycle accident (van pulled out of a farm field directly in his path). If his bike had hit the van just a few more inches to the right he would have died. He had to be taken by life flight to a trauma hospital. I got the phone call from the sheriff's department as I was walking into Epcot with my MIL & two children. My DH came home from the hospital on 2/16, but still needed 24 hour care. I ran the Princess 10K that weekend after he came home at my family’s insistence. My MIL took care of my husband while I was away. I didn't do anything at the expo besides pick up my bib & shirt. I ran the 10K and did not take a single photo, but LOVED it. I signed up for the GSC for 2016, but my DH’s injuries and recovery changed our family dynamics. He has a TBI and it changed a lot about him. I pretty much became the sole caregiver to a young daughter and an autistic son. I did not get the race training I needed so I deferred to 2017. Things started to get better at home in 2016 and I was able to train properly and then my DH got laid off in October as a result of his TBI. He just couldn't handle the workload, long hours and stress of being a director of a large team. He was on the path to becoming a CISO before the accident. Anyway, I thought I was going to have to miss 2017 PHM. I just couldn't justify spending the money on gas, tolls, hotel, food, etc. My DH got another job in January so the weekend was on! The feelings that came over me after crossing that finish line after the half are hard to explain. There was so much happiness mixed in with a lot of grief. I had so many tears of joy and sadness later on in my room.

I have been trying to find a race for the fall that is falling in that certain time frame and since I was in the Navy this one sounds right up my alley. I used to live in MD back in the day, but remind me what the weather is like in September there? Is it humid and gross?

Errrr, it can be hit or miss. Navy-Air Force is 9/16 this year. Last year, it was 67* around 7:00 AM, but was 77* by 10:00, humidity between 75 and 90%. Looks consistent with the past few years. My half was in early Sept last year and we got lucky with a cold snap, but the MCM races in early Oct were unusually muggy. So tough to say.

Yesterday's QOTD: All of my medals are meaningful in some way, but if I had to pick just one, I would have to say my Dopey medal from this year. Partly because it is an amazing feat, but more so because of how much fun I had doing it. I soaked up every one of those 48.6 miles! My friends look at me crazy when I say The Dopey Challenge was pure bliss... :D

As far as running in someone's honor, I have never done it officially, but I run in my Dad's honor all of the time. He loved being outdoors and when I'm outside running, I feel connected to him, and when I'm running races, I like to think he's somewhere watching, cheering me on.

So... I went out of town for a couple of weeks and got super behind. My friends and I had a wonderful Princess Half Marathon weekend and i am so thrilled to report that my one friend completed her first half marathon and my other friend and I completed our first challenge!! Funnily enough, that is also the first time I have ever raced the 10K distance. I've done 5K, 5 mile, 15k and half, but never 10k.

QTTQOTD (yesterday): I definitely have to say the 2017 Princess Half marathon medal. It was my second race ever, and prior to deciding I wanted to run Princess, I had never been a runner. Completing that race and getting that gorgeous medal was proof that I could do anything I set my mind to!

I haven't, but I'm considering it.

I'm sorry for your very sudden loss. A race on his birthday seems like a great way to honor him, and I bet he'd be so proud of your effort.

There was so much happiness mixed in with a lot of grief. I had so many tears of joy and sadness later on in my room.

I can only imagine the emotions you must have been feeling. I hope he continues on the path to recovery (as much as is possible... though I've seen firsthand some amazing TBI recovery in my own family), and I hope you continue to find support and strength (and respite, that's important, too) throughout the journey.

when I'm running races, I like to think he's somewhere watching, cheering me on.

What a beautiful sentiment.

Ok. So. I think I have been living under a rock or in denial or something. I was vaguely aware that there are some hills in my marathon Sunday. Well, today I actually printed out the course map, to just look at water stops and such. Then I peeked down at the corner and looked at the elevation gain... 1287'! To be fair, if I had looked at the map closer I would have noticed some of the street names, Hillcrest, N Lookout, Cedar Hill... all after mile 17. Why was I under the impression that Little Rock was relatively flat? :eek:

Also, I will be carrying my water bottle in my pocket as I broke the mouthpiece on my new hydration pack I bought off Amazon. Broke it right off. Sigh. At least I have carried the bottle in my pocket on lots of my training runs so I know it works for me. I don't usually carry water in races but Little Rock has weird (to me) spacing in their water stops, some of them 3 miles apart, all through the race. I am Disney trained, want my water every 1.5 miles. :)

And I decided to go with my shorts and running hoodie. The weather is now real feel of 38 at the beginning and mid 50's at the end. I really hate to be cold. :cold:

Ok. So. I think I have been living under a rock or in denial or something. I was vaguely aware that there are some hills in my marathon Sunday. Well, today I actually printed out the course map, to just look at water stops and such. Then I peeked down at the corner and looked at the elevation gain... 1287'! To be fair, if I had looked at the map closer I would have noticed some of the street names, Hillcrest, N Lookout, Cedar Hill... all after mile 17. Why was I under the impression that Little Rock was relatively flat? :eek:

Also, I will be carrying my water bottle in my pocket as I broke the mouthpiece on my new hydration pack I bought off Amazon. Broke it right off. Sigh. At least I have carried the bottle in my pocket on lots of my training runs so I know it works for me. I don't usually carry water in races but Little Rock has weird (to me) spacing in their water stops, some of them 3 miles apart, all through the race. I am Disney trained, want my water every 1.5 miles. :)

And I decided to go with my shorts and running hoodie. The weather is now real feel of 38 at the beginning and mid 50's at the end. I really hate to be cold. :cold:

Look at the bright side, that's only an average 49' gain per mile. Practically flat! :joker:

Catching up:

QOTD: Todays question is somewhat running related. For those of you who run a runDisney race, or races over the weekend, how do you plan your trips? What I mean by that is, do you plan on having park days before the race weekend, after, both, or only during the event weekend itself? When running multiple races do you spend time in the parks after each race or do you focus on recovery and preparing for the next race?
My first rD event was without kids. I think the plan would have been fine if it had happened- fly into LAX by 2pm Friday, hit expo to get bib, run Saturday, park time after the race, spend the night closer to the beach, hang out at beach. Reality included flight delays & cancellations, problems with childcare, a can of pringles for dinner, arrival at LAX at 9pm, picking up bib at 3am on race day, serious tummy troubles which made the race less than stellar but allowed me to scare the cleaning crew near space mountian (I detoured off course for a restroom), an upright finish followed by the day in the parks and bed at midnight. The next morning's plans for walking around venice beach and santamonica were replaced by sitting in a theater with my feet up watching Thor. I modified my plans for my second rD event. I flew in Thursday (again, the airlines must know I am coming and want to see if they can push me over the edge!), Park Friday morning, ditch kids and expo afternoon, park early evening, race morning followed by light park + pool, park days afterward. Given the fixed time of race and expo and taking the kids, I do not think I could have done better than this. If I could do the HM (maybe someday?) I would prefer to fly out Saturday to maximize vacation time and minimize missed work. But the airlines would likely conspire against me and I may not make it. I would love to have a do over for many reasons, but that is not in the cards.

Fun Friday QOTD: What extra ticket type of event at Disney have you done or want to do? Which would you not recommend?

We enjoyed MNSSHP, and while I am glad we did it, I am not sure we would do it again anytime soon. My kids are usually in bed by 8pm, so it was pretty hard to do much with them. There was no way they could wait in line for characters to sign their autograph books, and as we stick to kiddie rides there was not a big advantage there. We discussed trying a dessert party for last week- mostly because of the viewing area not so much the food, but I am so glad we did not. The kids were out by 7:30 every night!

Disney extras I have done:
Bippidi Boppidi Boutique at MK - I had to let dd do this once even though that lacquered up hair and glitter is so not my thing. She loved it and I was glad I only had one daughter.
My husband uses this as a bargaining chip. I despise the idea of this, and have two little girls who love glitter and want nothing more than their nails painted. Everytime I suggest something he doesn't want to do the answer is 'sure, as soon as I get that BBB reservation!' So no more rD trips in the future unless I agree to it!

ATTQOTD re: medals: I thought this last week's medal would mean more to me than it does. I expected to feel something when I got it. I started running for this 10K. But nope, nothing. I had a blast, I am so glad I ran the race, but no feeling toward the medal. Thor 10K on the other hand makes me tear up when I open the drawer in which it sits. That race was hard, and not the running. That race represents the support of my family. That is the race medal engraved lohacemos juntos.

Race summary:
theHamm - Enchanted 10k (NG / 1:37) I guess I had thought I would be faster. if I subtract the time I stood in line to potty (13 minutes!) I still thought I would be faster. I supposed I should think about what I want, what is realistic, and how to make it to one of those before being disappointed in the time.

I had fun, but I do not think I would run this again, I am up for a new challenge.

Fun
: (1) I got to run with my friend (2) DH strolled the kids out to the course in their PJs so I got to hug them [and Baby Marie and Baby Bambi stuffies] on the course (3) Most of the people were fantastic (4) the course is full of things to distract the mind (5) my predicted [and true] mile/min time put me not dead last in corral placement, [but I dropped back to run with my friend. overall a plus as I still finished from the back] (6) lots of people were irritated with the overpasses but I didn't mind these except for the congestion. I will think on this as I run up and down my moderate hills at home!
Not so fun: (1) As the kids were asleep, I tried to make coffee in the hotel bathroom, which was too noisy so I went coffee-less. The line at the food truck was long and I abandoned it before I got to the front of the line. I thought it would be fine as I usually wake up and run immediately, but the waiting time before the run is also longer than anything I have experienced before (2) I do not remember the course at DLR being as narrow as it was at WDW. I am in the camp of the opinion that the course was insufficient for the number of participants. However, I also think everyone should be able to run so wonder if there is an organizational method they could employ to spread out the crowd (or at least move the line for the portapotties out of 3/4 of the road width, not have people waiting for photo ops in half of that stupid hair pin turn, etc).
lessons learned: I can do this! I would prefer a race without bringing my kids, but enjoyed the trip more with them, so a wash there. I do not have to wake up as early as I did, but it did give me plenty of time to drink lots of extra water. After cold & snowy running, I did notice the heat and humidity.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter