• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Running Thread - 2018

ATTQOTD: Our traditions revolve around food. We always eat lunch at Beaches & Cream on our departure day. DH purposely grabs the later flight home so that we can make this happen. DH & I share an appetizer but then get our own ice creams. The boys get a kids meal and then their kids ice cream.

My own personal tradition is the cinnamon roll from Gaston's. This always has to be my breakfast on our MK day. We all tried it the first time and the rest of the family couldn't finish theirs. So now they all help me eat mine :confused3.

ATTQOTD: I always buy a Christmas ornament when I am there. This started on my first trip when I was three (my mom bought that one lol) so I have quite the collection now. My husband always says I could have one tree just Disney themed.

Me three! I forgot about our ornaments. We keep them out year round on our mantle.

Thanks! Not looking forward to this one quite as much as I was earlier. It’s supposed to rain steadily throughout the race at this point. At least it won’t be too cold. The temps are supposed to be in the mid- to upper 50s. Just not the conditions I would prefer for trying a new distance.

Good luck on your 50K! I've run in the rain (and hail and snow and whatever else) enough to know the thought of running in the rain is usually worse than the actual running in the rain itself. Even the nor'easter at Boston this year was bearable as long as I kept moving. Just use liberal amounts of Body Glide/Vaseline, and bring extra socks in case you want to give your feet a break from the wet. You'll do fine!

Seashore Nature Trail 50k Race Report

One of my goals for 2018 was to dip my toe into the waters of ultramarathon running. I was originally supposed to run the Badwater Cape Fear 50k/50m back in March, but a shin injury prevented that. In looking for a replacement, I found this race. It seemed to tick off all the right boxes for a 1st ultra: relatively flat, not too far away (3.5 hour drive), scenic on the coast, not too soon after or before races on the schedule, and small field (<300 runners). So I decided to go for it.

My plan was to bridge my Chicago Marathon training over to this race and not push too far beyond that. After coming through Chicago healthy, that all went well. I even found a nice hotel on the beach in Virginia Beach that was only 5-10 minutes from the race site (thanks @apdebord).

It was forecast to rain throughout the race, but we caught a break and the couple of hours leading up to the start were relatively dry. I think that made a huge difference for me. I don’t mind running in the rain all that much, but having to stand around in it waiting to start is not at all fun.

The first 1.5 miles of the race were on the park entry road and were the only paved portion of the course. After that the course became a double out and back on trails. There were two aid stations on course that were passed 4 times each with no more than 5 miles between any visit. About mile 3, after transitioning from a sandy stretch of trail to dirt with leaf cover, it started to rain lightly. Fortunately then tree cover kept most of that off of us, but about mile 5 there was a period of heavier soaking rain that was much less pleasant! After that passed a few miles later, the weather settled into a light rain and mist cycle for the remainder.

The course itself was slightly rooty, but man was it muddy with the accumulated rain of the previous weekend along with the current weather system (it had rained hard Friday night). There was a lot of weaving around mud puddles, sometimes having to go off the trail entirely, along with having to be vigilant for the roots.

I seriously underestimated the additional energy it was taking not just to run trails, but to run muddy, soggy trails. As a result, the easy pace I set myself was far from easy enough and I was feeling the effects by the end of the first out and back. There was a bag drop at the halfway turnaround, so I was able swap out for a dry shirt and socks. It was amazing the boost the dry clothes gave! It was also amazing how quickly that boost wore off! Feeling the effects of the exertion now, I was worried about being able to complete the back half and dropped into an impromptu run/walk strategy that quickly became more of a walk/run strategy.

I was not alone in adopting this strategy and was surprised at how much time I spent totally alone on the back half. Also, I know it’s an ultra thing, but it was still odd seeing water, Tailwind, Pepsi and Mountain Dew side by side at the aid stations. I will say that Pepsi really did give me a needed shot of energy and general boost late in the race, along with the bananas. I know bananas aren’t everyone’s jam, but I maintain “ain’t no banana like a race banana”!

I didn’t really have an official time goal for this race other than “finish”, or as my wife and mother put it “don’t die”. Really, they were seriously worried. As I came down to the last few miles, I saw I had a chance to finish under 6:30, so I put the pedal to the floor. Now, keep in mind, this wasn’t just like flooring it in a Prius, this was like flooring it in a Prius with two misfiring cylinders. I crossed the finish line in 6:23:52, unofficially. Officially making myself an ultramarathoner!!!

Once again, thanks for reading all the way through a long winded race report! If you skipped to the end:

TL;DR: 1st 50k finished in 6:23:52. I’m an ultramarathoner!!

7600EC28-CB73-4690-B6F0-F126E4FBCCC9.jpeg

Last edited:
@camaker, congratulations, I was thinking about you today while I was hiking the hard portion of my 50k that is in feb. it rained on us some. I am actually quite glad to hear things went well. After the 5 mile hike through the technical section of the trail, I am freaking out some. There was not much of that section I will run. I am afraid those 5 miles will take me 2 hours. I have a 10 hour time limit. I will go up one more time to hike some of the easy section. I am hoping it will be easy making it a confidence booster. I have hiked 11 miles of the 50k and it is all the hard parts.

One of my goals for 2018 was to dip my toe into the waters of ultramarathon running. I was originally supposed to run the Badwater Cape Fear 50k/50m back in March, but a shin injury prevented that. In looking for a replacement, I found this race. It seemed to tick off all the right boxes for a 1st ultra: relatively flat, not too far away (3.5 hour drive), scenic on the coast, not too soon after or before races on the schedule, and small field (<300 runners). So I decided to go for it.

My plan was to bridge my Chicago Marathon training over to this race and not push too far beyond that. After coming through Chicago healthy, that all went well. I even found a nice hotel on the beach in Virginia Beach that was only 5-10 minutes from the race site (thanks @apdebord).

It was forecast to rain throughout the race, but we caught a break and the couple of hours leading up to the start were relatively dry. I think that made a huge difference for me. I don’t mind running in the rain all that much, but having to stand around in it waiting to start is not at all fun.

The first 1.5 miles of the race were on the park entry road and were the only paved portion of the course. After that the course became a double out and back on trails. There were two aid stations on course that were passed 4 times each with no more than 5 miles between any visit. About mile 3, after transitioning from a sandy stretch of trail to dirt with leaf cover, it started to rain lightly. Fortunately then tree cover kept most of that off of us, but about mile 5 there was a period of heavier soaking rain that was much less pleasant! After that passed a few miles later, the weather settled into a light rain and mist cycle for the remainder.

The course itself was slightly rooty, but man was it muddy with the accumulated rain of the previous weekend along with the current weather system (it had rained hard Friday night). There was a lot of weaving around mud puddles, sometimes having to go off the trail entirely, along with having to be vigilant for the roots.

I seriously underestimated the additional energy it was taking not just to run trails, but to run muddy, soggy trails. As a result, the easy pace I set myself was far from easy enough and I was feeling the effects by the end of the first out and back. There was a bag drop at the halfway turnaround, so I was able swap out for a dry shirt and socks. It was amazing the boost the dry clothes gave! It was also amazing how quickly that boost wore off! Feeling the effects of the exertion now, I was worried about being able to complete the back half and dropped into an impromptu run/walk strategy that quickly became more of a walk/run strategy.

I was not alone in adopting this strategy and was surprised at how much time I spent totally alone on the back half. Also, I know it’s an ultra thing, but it was still odd seeing water, Tailwind, Pepsi and Mountain Dew side by side at the aid stations. I will say that Pepsi really did give me a needed shot of energy and general boost late in the race, along with the bananas. I know bananas aren’t everyone’s jam, but I maintain “ain’t no banana like a race banana”!

I didn’t really have an official time goal for this race other than “finish”, or as my wife and mother put it “don’t die”. Really, they were seriously worried. As I came down to the last few miles, I saw I had a chance to finish under 6:30, so I put the pedal to the floor. Now, keep in mind, this wasn’t just like flooring it in a Prius, this was like flooring it in a Prius with two misfiring cylinders. I crossed the finish line in 6:23:52, unofficially. Officially making myself an ultramarathoner!!!

Once again, thanks for reading all the way through a long winded race report! If you skipped to the end:

View attachment 370085
Excelsior!

Our tradition is the first park on any visit is MK or DL, and first ride is teacups. I know it’s a bit of a waste if an early morning but it’s the ride of always associated with Disney, and it’s like our “we’re here” moment.
I like to ride the tea cups pretty close to the beginning because there usually isn’t a line. But I also like to make them my last ride if I can so I can end my night with a cuppa tea!

View attachment 370085
GREAT JOB!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter