The Running Thread - 2018

ATTQOTD - A lor of my runs with my rD group feel that way. We generally don't focus on pace - we just run and have a good time. Right now, in this heat and humidity, those runs are really important. They remind you of all the things that you love about the sport, even when conditions keep most people indoors.

Fun Friday QOTD Running with friends or during a race with others a lot of interesting discussions or things can happen. Tell us about a run when you just had fun being out there. The type of day where it didn’t even feel like it was a running day, but just hanging out with friends.

Oh, yeah! Dopey in '17 was with some friends from the DC area. We walked the 5k (while everyone but myself played pokemon go). Goofed around for the 10k. We had a great time running the half at Caribbean Beach with a bunch of other folks. Due to different paces, the wives ran their own races, while myself and my buddy from college (who was already pretty accomplished, with a couple 50 milers under his belt) had a blast during the marathon. Bunch of pictures, met some interesting people, and just had a good ole time. I like to say it wasn't so much running 26.2 miles as 'running around' for 26.2 miles. Running with friends is always fun for me.

I want to make a stupid purchase because I like gadgets. Garmin has a scale that gives you all kinda cool data, and well I want it lol. Its ~$150 so not the most expensive gadget, but expensive as far as scales go. I need to set some sort of goal to achieve before I make the purchase. 2 Things: What should that goal be? The other, am I crazy?

I have had the Garmin Index scale for a couple years now. In the end, I really just focus on the weight versus any of the other metrics (BTW: the other metrics seem highly correlated to weight - I'm not convinced of their accuracy). Truth be told, the best part of the scale is that it just automatically uploads to Garmin Connect, and so everything is consolidated, and I can view my weight history on a graph to see the progress I've made. I'm sure you can do this GC integration with other smart scales, but obviously, it's easier with a Garmin-branded scale.

Fun Friday QOTD Running with friends or during a race with others a lot of interesting discussions or things can happen. Tell us about a run when you just had fun being out there. The type of day where it didn’t even feel like it was a running day, but just hanging out with friends.

Although my brother, my college roommate, and I ran the same first marathon (way back in 1993), we all had fairly different pace goals, so we didn't run together. However, after the first 3-4 miles of the marathon as I settled into a comfortable pace, I realized that another guy and me kept on jockeying back and forth, so we struck up a conversation. He was a really nice guy, he was trying to qualify for Boston, and so we ended up chatting and running for about 20 miles together. We truly became friends in that time. His wife would meet him every few miles to give him words of encouragement, and after the first time or two, she even started including me as part of her cheering. It was awesome, and the miles just flew by. We were having so much fun and not really focusing on pace but rather effort at which we could keep up the conversation, that at about mile 11, we caught up to my brother which I would have never expected. I temporarily froze with two thoughts: (i) if I've caught up to my brother, I must be going too fast, and (ii) I really should slow down and run with my brother, but I am having so much fun with this guy. The fun won out, and I decided to stay with my new found friend, so I said "hi" to my brother and told him that I was sure I would see him pass me later in the race. Although I did slow down a little during the last 4-5 miles (mainly just walking through the water stops) and lost contact with my new running friend, it was so much fun and a complete success. We met up at the finish line, and he did end up qualifying for Boston, and I ended up about 18 minutes faster than my goal time.

I have run several marathons since then, but this one is still my favorite because of the friend I made and the complete lack of focus on the actual running.

I don’t run with anyone but did run the 2018 half and full mostly with team shenanigans and had an absolute blast. Best runDisney races thus far!

Well...here's hoping you all can offer some advice or encouragement. I'm just really frustrated with my progress.

I had a really bad "run" yesterday. My heart rate is always through the roof - even jogging REALLY slowly. When I set a treadmill to 3.7-3.8, my heart rate can get all the way up to 181. That's definitely not good. Any slower though and I'd be basically walking. I don't know what to do. Only walk for a couple weeks? Jog slower? It's very frustrating and embarrassing that my heart rate will bounce up that high. Even setting the treadmill and walking at 3.0 will get my heart rate to 140. Shouldn't that be my jogging rate?

I'm only 30 so realizing I'm THIS out of shape is frustrating and I don't see how I can get anywhere with moving that slowly. How am I supposed to train for a race when I feel like I can't even start jogging? I don't want to start all over, but my hear rate getting that high just isn't sustainable or healthy (I don't think).

As a 31 year old who's out of shape and just starting running, I have to second the earlier advice to not beat yourself up over being unable to jump straight in and run continuously. If you're concerned about your heart rate I think it would be worth your time to talk to your doctor about it, but I'll be honest--even though I bought a running watch with a HR monitor, I haven't been looking at my HR at all. I've been gauging whether a pace and/or interval ratio is right based entirely on how my body feels. I've also stopped telling myself I "should" be able to run a certain way or a certain amount, because each of us is in a different place in our journey and if we want to be successful the best way to do that is to pay attention to what's going on individually, not force ourselves to meet some standard designed for other people.

Are you doing continuous runs? Would you consider trying the Galloway method? I only run ten seconds out of every minute, and walk the remaining fifty, because that's the ratio where I found I was able to sustain the same level of energy most or all of the way through my run--I actually get a better pace at that low ratio than I do when I run more and walk less, because my body burns out too quickly on the higher ratios. My pace isn't anything exciting in the running world at large (I'm hovering around 15 minutes/mile), but I see myself improving little by little on both pace and distance just by running the way I'm able to run, and that's really exciting for me as an individual runner because my best doesn't have to be what anyone else's best would be. Someday I'll run a higher ratio. Today is not that day. This month is not that month. This year may not even be that year. But someday I will because these things just take time, sometimes lots of time.

ATTQOTD: I'm a lone wolf myself when it comes to running. Just me and my Spotify playlists.... The closest I get to camaraderie on the race course is following pacers and the other people following that pacer. I've taken some comfort in feeling like I'm part of a larger group all trying to run at the same pace. But I've never attempted to strike up conversations with anyone when doing this. I may have to try it the next time I'm not trying for a PR at a race...

ATTQOTD: For the most part, all my runs/races are by myself. I ran the 2018 Disney Half with my wife who signed up for the race in February - her first race of any kind ever - and then proceeded to not train for it. She was literally a game time decision Saturday morning whether or not she was going to run it. She is young (compared to me), athletic and was in pretty good shape, so I encouraged her to go as far as she could and if she needed to stop and get swept, that is better than not experiencing any of it. Her goal was to make it through the Magic Kingdom. Once we got started, seeing the smile on her face and how much fun she was having, I knew she was going to finish which she did...somehow. We had a great time but she was pretty sore after and for the next few days.

ATTQOTD: I do all my runs, both training and races, by myself. I do enjoy chatting for a few miles with a fellow runner during a half or full. Although it's getting harder to do since almost everyone is 'plugged in'. That's one of the reasons I enjoy Rocket City Marathon, they have a no-headphones rule (although not strictly enforced).

ATTQOTD: My weekend runs are usually with members of the running club, and who is running from week to week can change, but it does help the miles go by. Weekday runs are by myself. For marathon training, I would usually one of my longest runs by myself, since that is usually how I race.

This spring, I had two races where I ran with one member of our club, and the race just flew by, since we were "not racing" and ended up talking almost the whole 13.1 miles. They were, by far, the two most enjoyable races I have done.

ATTQOTD: I have been mostly lurking here but have to jump in on this one: I generally run races alone but my first WDW Marathon I was running near this group of 3 young women who were playing a game of "Marry, <expletive deleted>, Kill" featuring Disney characters as they passed the miles. I couldn't help but eavesdrop. The options were, like, Tarzan, Beast, John Smith. Their choices were not what you would expect. And that was the *least* bizarre trio. It did entertain them and me and probably whoever else was in earshot for at least a few miles.

FFQOTD: I college I had a friend I would run with several times a week. It was the only time I've ever run with anyone else. I am definitely a solo runner, but I do get lonely from time to time.
View attachment 341123 Lake Erie sunrise on a morning run.

Jumping back in after our camping trip - @jennamfeo please add Ohio for me on your spreadsheet. We spent some time at Cedar Point and had a blast!
Hey that's my neck of the woods! :wave2:
Glad you had fun, Cedar Point is an awesome park for coasters and beaches.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter