The Running Thread - 2018

I'm never sure what is worse up here in New England... the heat later on when the sun gets up or the humidity if you get out early. The humidity in the mornings is nearly always 100% and the dewpoint more or less the same as the actual temperature. So, sure, maybe you get out early and it's only 70, like this morning when I was headed to OTF at 5:15 AM... but the dewpoint was also 69-70. Gross!

I had a pretty good day on the treadmill today. It was just too gross to run outside between the suffocating humidity and rain, so I decided to add another day of OTF where I can at least run some in the AC. I don't have any other gym membership right now and I don't own a treadmill, so if I want to run indoors, I've got to go to class. I've been primarily a run/walk interval runner for years, but today was an endurance day that included a benchmark workout of a 12 minute run for distance (as far as you can get in 12 minutes). I ran the WHOLE time and managed to squeak out 1.091 miles! I was pretty proud of myself... I wasn't even sure if I was going to be able to do the whole 12 minutes without taking some walking breaks. I really wanted to try to get a mile, though, so I broke it up into 1 minute intervals and changed the speed every minute to keep myself distracted.

Preach! :thumbsup2 I was visiting in WNY a couple weeks ago and it was absolutely perfect: warm days, cool nights, the kind of weather we dream of here in FL, right? I had to keep reminding myself that I was seeing WNY at its best and the rest of the year was abject misery when I lived there, lol!

And the FL winters make you forget all about the brutal summers :cloud9:

ATTQOTD - I love the summer, so I am not in a hurry for it to end. Winters are miserable here, and the end of summer means that winter is about to arrive. Even my love for college football doesn't have me wishing my summer days away.

As for running in the heat - it is much harder, but it also makes me a better runner. I had a horrible long run on Sunday because it was over 80 degrees with 97% humidity. But as I struggled I reminded myself how much these runs help me overall. I also have to remind myself to SLOW DOWN. There is no such thing as a disappointing finish time on a summer run. Finishing is what is important.

ETA - I will be spending the entire month of September in Alabama and Florida, running about 40 miles/week. That wasn't well thought out. :scared:

ATTQOTD:
I live in AZ. Only way to run outside currently is to get up at 3:30. Summers here are brutal for running. Great pool weather!!
This is my second summer here. Originally from Seattle area.
I see many treadmill runs at the gym in my future. Ugh!
Last year I was able to find a larger window of opportunity for running around Labor Day as the days got shorter.
Summer is the only difficult time for running outside. Love the minimal rain and no snow to deal with from Fall thru Spring.

Last edited:
iwatch or Garmin or ?

I am looking at getting a wrist device for running. Up until now I have used apps on my iPhone to track runs.

I like the Iwatch because I can use it for my music too.

Looking for reviews

Fun Friday QOTD: I'm working on my off Friday and I am not happy about it, plus my lack of sleep is catching up! So lets think of something that is needed after a long work week... a bar or lounge. What is your favorite bar or lounge to hang out or relax at while at WDW?

So many good ones...

LOVE Nomad Lounge. DH and I discovered it last January on our adults trip. We sat outside on the deck area--didn't even feel like we were at WDW. We just had drinks, no food.

Top of the World--Just wished they opened earlier. We stayed at BLT in May/June but never made it up there. We always had dinner plans when they opened at 6 and by the time we came back to the resort, too tired.

Baseline Tap House--another discovery during adult weekend.

Ale and Compass Lounge at Yacht Club

And as a few others have said...the patio of my room! We are fans of the afternoon break to recharge. I love sitting on the patio with a beer.

QOTD: It's HOT!!!!! Spent most of the weekend trying to stay hydrated from doing yard work. Had headaches, cramps, felt like trash, and it impacted my run on Saturday. Who is looking forward to much cooler weather? When does is typically start cooling down where you live?
. It is actually cooler here today. I am in NO hurry to say goodbye to summer heat. When it is that bad, I do the treadmill. I HATE winter and cold weather beyond words. Double hate for icy/snowy sidewalks and roads. And in Ohio, weather can change daily. We will probably see some cooler weather in September and 90s in October.

Addendum to the QOTD: do we need to quantify or qualify what "cooler" means? I mean, when the overnight lows here drop out of the 80s, I consider that "cooler" lol!
Good point - while you can train to run efficiently in temps above 70 degrees, your body simply cannot dump heat efficiently at those temperatures when there is high humidity present. So, yeah, 70 degrees will help, but the drop in humidity is what really gets you over the hump. So I would say that you do get "cooler" temperatures (for you) if the humidity also drops.

I spent the month of April in Cocoa Beach this year and the temps were awesome - mid 80s with low humidity. By the time I left at the beginning of May, the humidity was starting to get tough. Temps were the same, but it felt much, much hotter.

QOTD: It's HOT!!!!! Spent most of the weekend trying to stay hydrated from doing yard work. Had headaches, cramps, felt like trash, and it impacted my run on Saturday. Who is looking forward to much cooler weather? When does is typically start cooling down where you live?
ATTQOTD: I never wish for colder weather. Ever. That being said, I am curious how all the running I have been doing through mid day in the hot and humid summer months will translate to the cooler/colder Fall/Winter temps. You can really notice how much easier it is to run when temps are in the 70's and dew points are in the 50's.

iwatch or Garmin or ?

I am looking at getting a wrist device for running. Up until now I have used apps on my iPhone to track runs.

I like the Iwatch because I can use it for my music too.

Looking for reviews

I have had both and much, much prefer Garmin for tracking my running. The best summary I have is that the Apple Watch can do more, but what the Garmin does, it does better. I found it annoying to have to get apps to do things like run/walk intervals, which I think should be core sports watch functionality. When I had the Apple Watch, I found myself using it for everyday wear, but switching to Garmin for running. It is really going to come down to personal preference and what you need it to do. If you want a one size fits all solution for what to wear all day, then the Apple Watch may be for you. If you want something specifically for running, then a Garmin may be a better bet. Some of the newer Garmins have the ability to play music, so you also might be able to find a compromise there somewhere.

I have had both and much, much prefer Garmin for tracking my running. The best summary I have is that the Apple Watch can do more, but what the Garmin does, it does better. I found it annoying to have to get apps to do things like run/walk intervals, which I think should be core sports watch functionality. When I had the Apple Watch, I found myself using it for everyday wear, but switching to Garmin for running. It is really going to come down to personal preference and what you need it to do. If you want a one size fits all solution for what to wear all day, then the Apple Watch may be for you. If you want something specifically for running, then a Garmin may be a better bet. Some of the newer Garmins have the ability to play music, so you also might be able to find a compromise there somewhere.

Thanks for the info. I didn’t realize Garmin has ability for music
I will look at the Garmin models closer.

Around 8:00 PM. :rolleyes1 Oh, what month...... mid to late September here in CT. Even though we can get some warm days in September, the cool downs happen rather rapidly this time of year. The ACs are usually retired to the basement too!

I don't know if you are very tied to the Apple ecosystem if you will be happy with the Garmin's ability to play music. The only streaming option at this time is from iHeartRadio, and I don't believe you will be able to transfer any music over to it that you don't explicitly own (or ripped yourself from CDs). I know that I stopped actually buying music a long time ago and instead just listened to Pandora or Spotify all the time, until Apple Music came around, and now everything is in Apple Music. All my streaming and local music for my race playlists comes from there and I am 99.9% sure the DRM would prevent me from putting it onto the Garmin.

So I would say that you do get "cooler" temperatures (for you) if the humidity also drops.
Case in point: ran 4 miles on vacation - 85* and about 55% humidity. Ran 4 miles back home 2 days later - 85* and 98% humidity. Any surprise the vacation run was 1:30/mile faster at the same level of effort?! My home humidity rarely goes down much below 70%, but even that coupled with a lower temp feels better than the current swampy conditions.

Around 8:00 PM. :rolleyes1 Oh, what month...... mid to late September here in CT. Even though we can get some warm days in September, the cool downs happen rather rapidly this time of year. The ACs are usually retired to the basement too!

which is exactly why i'm targeting the hartford marathon in october. if i survive the heat training in texas this summer i'm gonna be the BATMAN on raceday.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter