• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

The Running Thread - 2018

I don't have many chafing stories, I have been lucky. The one I do have is not pleasant. I think I have told it before. During the 2016 Disney full I wore my water belt. I normally wear it with the pouch that holds stuff in the front. Never had a problem in any training run or race prior to this one so no big deal. Well, for whatever reason, maybe because I was drenched from the humidity before we hit MK it was different. Well, think about wear that pouch would rest while sitting in the front and what it might rub on for 27 1/2 miles during that race. I couldn't feel anything wrong because I was sweaty I guess. Needless to say, that shower back in the hotel was not fun. For the record, I wore the belt so it faced the back this past year and I did bodyglide my friend down below just to be safe as well. Sorry if that was TMI.
Having never had a chafing issue in that specific area before, but having never run a marathon before either, I appreciate knowing this can happen and that I should take preventive measures before it does. Where else can we ask these kinds of questions even somewhat comfortably?

Here's my usual meal plan for weekdays.

Breakfast - Oatmeal with almond milk, blueberries and banana OR 1 egg, english muffin and 2 tablespoons of shredded cheese
Lunch - Sandwich (this week it's tofu, tomato and sriracha mayo), carrots, 100 calorie pack of guacamole, and an apple. If I forget to pack my lunch, it's a sandwich from the cafeteria with mozzarella, tomatoes, cucumber, peppers and mustard with carrots on the side and an apple.
Snack - Orange and string cheese
Dinner - generally varies but something like pasta with lots of veggies, stir-fry with rice, black bean tacos, etc.

Where I struggle is when we go out to eat. Then it's all out the window as far as being healthy. And we've been going out to eat too much on recent weekends.

If anyone needs a laugh, I just accidentally sent our Superintendent an email with an attachment from my mother! I was supposed to be sending him an emergency requisition to forward to our Agency CFO for approval. I want to crawl under my desk and die. I called his secretary and told her to stop him from forwarding it. Hopefully she stopped him in time. :eek::eek::eek:

If the attachments your mother sends you are like the ones my mother sends me (i.e., all cute dog pictures and "can you believe this" stories), it may be embarrassing but at least not too personal. Sorry that it happened to you, but your message did make me laugh imagining that it had happened to me. (I swear my mother is the epitome of "click bait". We keep telling her NOT to click on all the stories that look so amazing or shocking or unbelievable, but it doesn't help.)

ATTQOTD: Never really had issues in the past but since I've started doing longer runs, I have been applying some Body Glide in typical areas and that seems to work well. I like the idea of a spray rather than a stick so I may try the TriSlide.

Do any of you bring some Glide along on a long run/race in case there is a spot that got missed? Do they make super portable sizes that fit in a pocket or running belt?

Here's a picture with the Garmin 235 for comparison. I carry one in my pocket for marathons. They're only good for 1 or 2 applications. I can't remember how much they cost, but I'm thinking it was enough to rule out daily use.

The local running store did a smart thing: they printed labels with their name that fit the lid, so it makes it look like it was custom made for them.

Please ignore the coffee rings on the CD coaster.

upload_2018-7-18_16-30-58.png

Last edited:
If the attachments your mother sends you are like the ones my mother sends me (i.e., all cute dog pictures and "can you believe this" stories), it may be embarrassing but at least not too personal. Sorry that it happened to you, but your message did make me laugh imagining that it had happened to me. (I swear my mother is the epitome of "click bait". We keep telling her NOT to click on all the stories that look so amazing or shocking or unbelievable, but it doesn't help.)

Yeah, it wasn't personal, actually just a message telling me that I had a package from Amazon (she lives with us). But I never have interaction with this man, it all usually goes thru my boss who is out for a couple of days. Way to make a first impression, lol! And my mother also clicks on ALL. THE. STORIES. And then she puts them on Facebook! :rolleyes2

ATTQOTD: I was always underweight until I was about 24, so I sort of got in the habit of eating crap and then BOOM I have a desk job and am not nearly as active as I was before, but still putting in the same amount of calories. I never got to the point of being overweight fortunately, but obesity and heart disease runs in my family so I knew I needed to get it together. Running and Pure Barre helped both with my sanity of having a desk job and cutting some lbs, but I knew I needed to cut the garbage out (including stuff labeled as healthy). I started meal prepping religiously just using real, whole foods and dropped 15 lbs in about 5 months to put me back where I wanted to be. Then last summer I went on several back-to-back trips and enjoyed a lot of different foods and beverages. I also turned 30 and wanted to do something healthy to bring in the new decade. So, last August I did Whole30 right in the middle of Wine and Dine Challenge training. As @Chasing Dopey described, the first 2 weeks are hard. I lived off sweet potatoes, especially on long run days. I couldn’t fuel my runs with anything that had sugar, so I used real food. I’m allergic to nuts so I couldn’t do a lot of the Whole30 approved bars, but I was able to use Kind Pressed Fruit snacks. I would always have those on long runs. I used electrolyte water since I couldn’t use a sports drink. But after those 2 weeks, I turned a corner and everything seemed easy. I felt like a rockstar. My husband was doing Whole30 with me too (it’s so good to have a partner!) and he actually did a 12-hour race right in the middle of the month. I did make him go non-compliant and take Tailwind because it was close to 100° that day but he knocked out 60 something miles on a super boring 1.5 mile loop. We both noticed we were never sore or tired after long runs so at the end of 30 days we decided to go “primarily paleo” to try that out. We do follow a paleo diet most of the time but if we want a pizza or pasta, or tacos not in a lettuce wrap, we’re going to have that. I love sushi and I’m not going to give that up...but I did learn that I enjoy coconut aminos over soy sauce so I did make that change. My philosophy is just to enjoy life and live it out to the fullest. Food makes me happy, so I eat well most of the time, but then indulge when inclined. I feel like I’ve found that balance this past year and I actually think I’m a stronger runner because of it.

I’m real conflicted about them because I’m a #BeignetPurist ... but if I can figure out where POFQ is, I’ll probably go try them next month.

I think it's one of those resorts in the middle of nowhere that nobody ever stays at.
Also, if you happen to be in NOLA before marathon weekend, feel free to bring me some beignets from Cafe Du Monde. They're not bad lightly stale and reheated (you just have to put extra powdered sugar on top). (*ducks flying objects*)

I think it's one of those resorts in the middle of nowhere that nobody ever stays at.
Also, if you happen to be in NOLA before marathon weekend, feel free to bring me some beignets from Cafe Du Monde. They're not bad lightly stale and reheated (you just have to put extra powdered sugar on top). (*ducks flying objects*)
It's actually our favorite resort. Nice, quiet, gorgeous setting, reasonably close to the Epcot stuff, and I like the running trail between there and Riverside.

We're not doing it for marathon trip, and might investigate the Poly studios, but for a short-notice trip it's our go-to.

It's actually our favorite resort. Nice, quiet, gorgeous setting, reasonably close to the Epcot stuff, and I like the running trail between there and Riverside.

We're not doing it for marathon trip, and might investigate the Poly studios, but for a short-notice trip it's our go-to.
My favorite moderate resort, too... it's so nice and quiet and cozy. I love the theming, and river boats to DS and close to Epcot and Studios.

It looks like I will be in NOLA for NYE this year (I’m in the process of buying a house there!), but I can probs do better than stale CdM beignets.

i send photos of disney's flavored beignets to LSU fans now and then because i know it infuriates them.

Well, at least you know why they want to punch you ... :rotfl2:

My wife just reminded me of a great point to consider when talking about dieting - if one reduces their caloric intake too much, they absolutely kill their metabolism. Do it for too long and studies show that the lowered metabolism becomes permanent - perhaps as much as 15% lower than it was before your extended diet. That can impact your ability to maintain a healthy weight for the rest of your life.

Diet as you feel necessary, but remember that dieting can be counterproductive over the long haul if you negatively influence your metabolic engine.

We both noticed we were never sore or tired after long runs so at the end of 30 days we decided to go “primarily paleo” to try that out.

Energy after long runs... I almost forgot about that! I would always have to nap on long run days, but when we did our round I was good to go for the rest of the day. Tiger blood, indeed!

well, if you are looking for strategies to succeed in your diet, your first and biggest mistake is living in louisiana.

It doesnt help that I know how to cook all the unhealthy cajun stuff. I'll add all of these things are mostly carbs and drinking while cooking it. Good times!

Wondering if we shouldn’t set up a running and weight loss thread to celebrate our victories and keep us accountable?

I would participate in this, however I think there is a different area for this maybe... @rteetz would know more than me on the subject.

Not a diet but I'd imagine I could safely lose a few pounds if I would only cut out the beer and wine! :)

This is the real struggle on the weekends!

They don't travel well IMO.

i send photos of disney's flavored beignets to LSU fans now and then because i know it infuriates them.

This is more likely to ruffle the feathers of a Saints fan more so than a LSU fan. You know... we just like our corn dogs, corn dog cologne, and losing to bama year after year while hiring Bobby Boucher's dad for a head coach. If you make it to Baton Rouge for the game between us, let me know and you could get in your long run pregame, and a tailgate spot. Thinking about roasting a pig to celebrate the occasion. Theres always a chance we get the W, but my expectations are down more than usual.

This is more likely to ruffle the feathers of a Saints fan more so than a LSU fan. You know... we just like our corn dogs, corn dog cologne, and losing to bama year after year while hiring Bobby Boucher's dad for a head coach. If you make it to Baton Rouge for the game between us, let me know and you could get in your long run pregame, and a tailgate spot. Thinking about roasting a pig to celebrate the occasion. Theres always a chance we get the W, but my expectations are down more than usual.

the last time alabama lost lost at tiger stadium i was there, so my bama friends have issued a moratorium on my attending another. when they lift it and i can get back to BR, i'll let you know.

but, if you leave out the fried items, cajun food offers a lot of good quality running grub. particularly if you prepare it yourself. for example, red beans and rice is magical for post long-run refueling. and i eat collard greens by the pound when i get into the big miles portion of race training.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter