The Running Thread - 2018

ATTQOTD: I don't really have chafing issues. I do have body glide on hand just in case, but I haven't used it in forever.
I did see a guy putting vaseline on his feet pre-race yesterday. I wanted to say something along the lines of "that's really smart," but I felt like that would be super awkward.

My favorite of these was a slightly modified version of the contemporary. I ran around the Contemp then went out got on the sidewalk and did an out and back under the waterbridge and then ran in front of the MK to where the water pagent channel is. It was about 3 miles but it was a lot of fun to run around the front of the MK before it opened.

Catching up, and this one overlaps with my answer to the Friday QOTD. The one time we went to WDW, we stayed at CR. Unfortunately, with the new security checkpoints, I couldn't get to the front of the MK without going through security, and that seemed silly. So I mostly just looped around. We're toying with the idea of heading down later this year but don't know where we'd stay yet (likely Swolphin or CBR), so thank you to all who answered!

For today's QOTD: I have some Nike shorts that cause chafing worse than others. I actually wore a pair for a short treadmill run this weekend and had the issue again. Other shorts don't seem to cause the issue, so it's probably time to replace the ones that do. I'm also a fan of Body Glide. The only other time it has been an issue was during my HM last September - the hydration pack I was wearing caused some chafing on my inner arms. I think it was more of a fit issue than anything, but something I'll have to tinker with ahead of future long runs.

We have not had a good chafing discussion in a while. Who experiences this problem and what do you do to prevent it?
My chaffing issues are only ever inner thighs. So they only occur in hot weather if I run in shorts. I used ot use Body Glide, but since finding Sparkle Skirts-which DO NOT MOVE (on me atleast) I haven't had any issues!!

ATTQOTD:

Through trial and error I have learned that I must wear a compression base layer shirt for any runs over a 5k. At about the four mile mark I begin to get the dreaded nipple chafing with any shirt that has any movement. I don’t mind wearing compression shirts so it’s not a big deal. If I wasn’t so self-conscious I would probably only wear compression shirts when I run.

ETA: On the topic of compression shirts Nike has a flash sale going on and there is a lot of running stuff with a pretty decent selection of sizes discounted. I wouldn’t post something like this normally, but I picked up a few things for which I had considered paying full price at decent discounts for Nike. Looks like they’re trying to make room for newer models.

Last edited:
ATTQOTD: I'm more prone to chafing in the summer months. I do use body glide, but more recently I'm finding that I like Trislide better. It seems to last longer which is especially good for marathons. In addition to all the usual chafe-prone spots mentioned, I'm going to go there and say that sometimes I have to put it in the crack of my a**. Just keeping it real folks!! :P

ATTQOTD: Sounds like I'm the opposite of most people, I only have chafing issues in the cold. Our summers are so stinking hot and humid that I sweat so much its not an issue. A touch of Body Glide on the nips and inner thighs and I'm good.

Since we're all sharing TMI: Band Aids and hairy chests don't mix. Or maybe they mix too well.

For marathons, I apply Body Glide like I'm waxing a car. I'll even apply it directly to any seams that might be a problem. Then I'll pocket a small Body Glide to re-wax halfway through.

I've never had any major chafing issues. There's been a few spots that will cause me grief occasionally so I'll slap some Vaseline in the area before a long run.

Somehow, I chafed INSIDE my belly button during the WDW Marathon. I had no idea until I got in the shower. Ouch! It wasn't too bad and was fine by the next day but I never would have expected that to be a trouble spot. Still not sure how it happened....

ATTQOTD: Big fan of body glide here! I have had some unfortunate issues with chafing and I will echo whoever said it that it’s really important to make sure you’re running tights, pants, shorts, etc are pulled up and situated as close to how you were wearing them before you stopped for the bathroom. That can lead to a couple of painful days after if you aren’t careful.

QOTD: We have not had a good chafing discussion in a while. Who experiences this problem and what do you do to prevent it?

Body Glide is great for helping to prevent chafing, as are Band-aids and KT tape. I've got a drawer full of all three and use them extensively when running the warmer and more humid it gets. I also use Tri Slide to keep my wet suit from chafing, and Betwixt with my cycling bibs.

ATTQOTD: I have gone to using Squirels Nut Butter over Body Glide for my really long and really hot runs. I was using Body Glide and during a 50 Miler last fall I ended up with some HORRIBLE chaffing. A friend recommended Squirels Nut Butter and my next race and then Dopey all went wonderfully (at least in the chaffing arena). It is a little early still to give it a huge recommendation but so far I am happy with it.

I'm curious how the rest of you ramp back up after WDW Marathon Weekend. I did RCM in early December, so I'm doubly pooped (technically 2.5 * pooped, since I did the Goofy).

I did 24 miles this week, with an 8 mile 'long' run. All of it at reduced pace.

What is everyone else doing?
I went into Dopey really well trained this year and emerged with very little soreness and no injuries, so that really determined my return approach. I took a week off from running, but did some walking and yoga during that time. First run back was an easy 3.5 miles a week out from the marathon, and then right back to my usual routine the following week. I have a 10K in a couple weeks I want to run for time, so my focus has been ditching the long, slow mileage and working speed back into the mix.

QOTD: We have not had a good chafing discussion in a while. Who experiences this problem and what do you do to prevent it?
ATTQOTD: The "beauty" of living in FL is that for half the year, I'm so drenched with sweat it's like I'm taking a shower and bath at the same time from the moment I walk out my door: there simply is no chafing when every inch of you is slick with sweat lol! It's the in-between weather that gets chafey: when it's warm enough for bare legs, but not hot or humid enough to be slick with sweat. I swear by 2 Toms SportShield roll-on. BodyGlide simply does not hold up to our kind of heat, and I find it makes my skin sticky, not slick: very good for spots where clothing can rub, as it kind of holds the fabric in place, but lousy for skin-on-skin contact.

Last edited:
Lots of interesting answers in today's posts :) I have had the inner thigh chafing but I generally just wear shorts that are long enough to prevent it. I had chafing along the bra line on my back and body glide was enough to deal with that for half marathon training. For the longer runs of marathon training I actually had to put KT tape on my back under the bra line to prevent the chafing. Weirdly, I started having chafing last year underneath my arm, kind of half way between the elbow and armpit. It doesn't happen with long sleeves but I've had it happen with tanks and with short sleeves. Body glide worked for a while but I put kt tape there too for the marathon. I probably looked like an idiot but no chafing so yay!

I'm curious how the rest of you ramp back up after WDW Marathon Weekend. I did RCM in early December, so I'm doubly pooped (technically 2.5 * pooped, since I did the Goofy).

Well... I've had two runs since Dopey. I did 40 minutes on the treadmill last Thursday that was horrible, and I did 3 miles on Sunday OUTSIDE (hooray!). My big problem has been my knee. It started hurting the evening after the half marathon. I made it through the marathon the next day, but it was uncomfortable, and hasn't felt great since.

On Sunday, I thought I was back to normal, because I felt good for the first couple miles, but then, the outside edge of my kneecap started hurting again. I'm usually fine walking, or if I stand or sit with my leg stretched out. But if I bend my knee for a while, it's very uncomfortable. No swelling, no discoloration. I'm no stranger to knee problems, but this is a new one for me.

I'm just frustrated, and I want to get out there and run more!!!

ATTQOTD: I have run a lot at DIsney during non runDisney trips there, but only at two places: Hourglass Lake and also on the loop in Port Orleans Riverside & French Quarter. I do wish there was a way to get in more milage and not have to do a bunch of loops.

@IamTrike how did you connect Hourglass Lake with Bonnet Creek and Caribbean Beach? That sounds like a good solution.
I went a slightly different way than gollygadgets post below. If you stay on the main road there is a castmember road exit close to the one she points out. I just ran from there across the road then jumped the embankment and was in the AOA parking lot. To get from the Hilton to CB I just ran on the sidewalk to the end of the road the Hilton is on turned right and ran on the grass to CB. The grass along the road there (I think victory parkway) is like 40 feet wide so there was no danger of being close to cars.

I was at Pop a couple of weeks ago and found this route to get to CBR. There's a cast member underpass with sidewalk to get across Century Dr. I've had good luck just looking at Google maps to find running routes.View attachment 296725

All my dopey races were really easy so I took two days off and then tried to start back to semi normal running.

For nipple rubbing I'll either do band aids or a tight compression shirt depending on how hot it is.
I sometimes have issues with tags in my boxer briefs. I try to cut them out by under armour stuff still leaves something that can rub. I'll usually put body glide on that. I use copious amounts of body glide or squirrels nut butter or 2toms to prevent chafing in other places. As they say and ounce of prevention....

The 2toms is good because it's a liquid roll on, so you don't have to worry about it melting. Body Glide in a hot car will melt and is awful to deal with.

What a great Monday topic. So much TMI potential! I have three locations that I can chafe, if I'm not careful. My inner thighs are susceptible to chafing, but I have eliminated this as an issue altogether through wearing compression shorts under my running shorts. It's not the reason I wear the compression shorts, but eliminating that source of potential chafing is certainly a happy side benefit. On runs over 13 miles, I tend to have issues with nipple chafing. Band aids have been the best solution I've found there. Finally, I do sometimes have issues with chafing in my deep "inner glutes", for lack of a more genteel term. For that location, Body Glide has been a life saver. One caution on that location, though: dedicate the body glide container to that usage and get another one for less offensive chafing locations! :crazy2:

We had some friends that were doing the marathon this year as their first marathon. I made a little care package for them and the PS on the note was:
No one ever finishes a marathon and thinks "I put on too much Body Glide".

Catching up, and this one overlaps with my answer to the Friday QOTD. The one time we went to WDW, we stayed at CR. Unfortunately, with the new security checkpoints, I couldn't get to the front of the MK without going through security, and that seemed silly. So I mostly just looped around. We're toying with the idea of heading down later this year but don't know where we'd stay yet (likely Swolphin or CBR), so thank you to all who answered!

For today's QOTD: I have some Nike shorts that cause chafing worse than others. I actually wore a pair for a short treadmill run this weekend and had the issue again. Other shorts don't seem to cause the issue, so it's probably time to replace the ones that do. I'm also a fan of Body Glide. The only other time it has been an issue was during my HM last September - the hydration pack I was wearing caused some chafing on my inner arms. I think it was more of a fit issue than anything, but something I'll have to tinker with ahead of future long runs.
I forgot about those. I wonder if you could go early enough to get by them.?

ATTQOTD: I have gone to using Squirels Nut Butter over Body Glide for my really long and really hot runs. I was using Body Glide and during a 50 Miler last fall I ended up with some HORRIBLE chaffing. A friend recommended Squirels Nut Butter and my next race and then Dopey all went wonderfully (at least in the chaffing arena). It is a little early still to give it a huge recommendation but so far I am happy with it.
A stick of it came in the last runner's world box. I've been using it with no issues.

ATTQOTD from Fri: I have done a little running at WDW, around the Boardwalk (slick in the morning as others have said), around POR, and CSR. I just ran the loops until I got the distance I wanted/needed.

ATTQOTD today: I have some inner thigh chafing issues and my body glide technique apparently needs work (or the texas humidity causes it to vanish) so I mostly just run in capris to avoid it. I can't find shorts that won't ride up. Joy. I did get chafing from a pad downtown once and it was BRUTAL.

I have the hot chocolate 15k this weekend and am stressing a bit, but am also excited. My first "big" race besides Disney.

ATTQOTD: I am also a fan of body glide and capris. Also discovered that I must be more diligent on removing tags in my capris/leggings. I had forgotten to remove the one in the hip area on my leggings during WDW half and paid the price.

I experience chaffing on the undersides of my upper arms for long runs when I'm wearing a tank. I started to put some body glide there before my long runs but realized for a run over 18 miles, I need to bring it with me and reapply during the run.
ATTQOTD: I have gone to using Squirels Nut Butter
OMG, who came up with that name?? o_O

ATTQOTD: never had chafing and I hope I never do. It sounds painful.

Has anyone tried the Sparkle Capripants?

I have and I don’t really like them for long runs. They don’t stay up! The weight of stuff in the leg pockets makes them fall down as I run. I have capris from rawthreads that I love. They have a huge pocket on each leg and they stay put even with a small water bottle stuffed in it. I just picked up some Nike running tights that have a large leg pocket and a zippered pocket on the back of the waist band. Under Armour is starting to make some pants with large pockets too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter