The Running Thread - 2016

IMG_5445.jpg

Finished my 5k this morning at 31.20... with no walking!

While this isn't a particularly amazing 5k time for most, it's huge for me! Longest distance to date I've run without stopping for a walk break. My first 5k was 33:50 (and involved walking).

I also took lots of race tips from you guys, and was screaming out thank you to volunteers, and trying to give notice if I was passing on the left.

IMG_5445.jpg

While this isn't a particularly amazing 5k time for most, it's huge for me! Longest distance to date I've run without stopping for a walk break. My first 5k was 33:50 (and involved walking).

I also took lots of race tips from you guys, and was screaming out thank you to volunteers, and trying to give notice if I was passing on the left.

Congrats! That's a great time and a nice improvement over your first one.

Thanks for sharing! I think it helps me better understand what it feels like to be a run/walker. I'll be interested to hear how your experimentation goes.

Have you ever tried it? If not, give it a shot one day! Try a decent distance that will get you tired (10k or thereabouts?) at a moderate effort. I say do something in the 3:00/:30 to 4:00/:30 range. (At your speed, you would probably be recommended for longer run times, but this is just an experiment to get a feel for it.) You'll be slower, but afterwards think about how you feel given the effort and distance, and get on Garmin and check out your speeds while you were actually running. I'd be really interested to see if you get anything out of it.:)

You'll feel like you're stopping a LOT! I raced with a friend (ultra runner) at Dark Side, and several times he said, "Already?" But the idea is that the breaks are strategic, instead of waiting until you need/want them.

Have you ever tried it? If not, give it a shot one day! Try a decent distance that will get you tired (10k or thereabouts?) at a moderate effort. I say do something in the 3:00/:30 to 4:00/:30 range. (At your speed, you would probably be recommended for longer run times, but this is just an experiment to get a feel for it.) You'll be slower, but afterwards think about how you feel given the effort and distance, and get on Garmin and check out your speeds while you were actually running. I'd be really interested to see if you get anything out of it.:)

You'll feel like you're stopping a LOT! I raced with a friend (ultra runner) at Dark Side, and several times he said, "Already?" But the idea is that the breaks are strategic, instead of waiting until you need/want them.

You know I might just give it a try. I'd be interested to see how it goes. I'll have to wait until I've got a non-training cycle period (next Jan/Feb). I'd envision it would be something like running speed intervals in which I run at a hard effort and then recover at a much easier effort. However, I can continuous run the same average pace at a much easier effort overall. However, these are workouts by design and not necessarily exactly like run/walk. My guess based on my physical/physiological running characteristics is I'm more cut out for continuous running because my endurance base is much better than my speed base. We'll see in a few months.

IMG_5445.jpg

I'll reiterate what I said on your journal, but a 7% 5K time improvement in ONE MONTH is absolutely amazing. You should be very proud. party:

4 miles in an hour today which was actually manageable. Running for 1 min and walking for 1:30 all the way.

Looks like my training plan is turning into 30 min twice a week and then a long run at the weekend where I am trying to increase the distance by a mile each week. Hopefully that will mean I will be ready for the half in September.

Also I have been getting a lot more support from runners I pass which has definitely been nice.

I would like some advice on adjusting the RunDisney Galloway training plan for the Lumiere Challenge. The week of July 18th I'll be on a Disney cruise (going to Alaska!!!) and I know there's very little chance I'll get those runs in, especially the 5 miler on Saturday since that's a port day (although who knows - I'll probably get in 5+ miles of walking that day). Should I just shift back that week to the week of the 25th (thus doing the 5 miler on the next Saturday) and then shift back everything else afterwards as well? Then I'd be skipping one of the weeks at the end (one calls for a 14 miler which I know I don't need to do to be ready for the half). Or should I skip Week 3 since it's early in the plan and pick up with Week 4?

Sorry you're getting cruddy weather again. I did a half early June where it was steady rain the whole time and wore a tank. I thought short sleeves sticking to my arms would drive me crazy and was glad I went with the tank. I think race time temp was about 62F for mine and I was really comfortable. How much cooler are they predicting for your start time?

It was 58 when I got back in my car afterwards, so it was probably colder than that earlier. I didn't end up wearing the tank and I'm glad I didn't... I was really cold.

It wasn't pretty but I finished and I squeaked in under my 3 hour goal... 2:59:41. :) I made a lot of stretching pit stops... my left calf and hamstring were super tight. After a 4+ mile stretch allll the way around Back Cove on packed dirt trail with not a curb in sight to at least do a calf drop, I was never so happy to end up on an overpass with a concrete barrier between us and the highway traffic to head back into the city so I could do a wall stretch on my calves. The trip around the Cove was really rough, it was miles 7.5-11.5, so by then the herd had really thinned out for us back of the packers, and the path was right around the edge of it so you couldn't help but keep looking at just how long a way around the cove it was and seemingly how little progress you were making. :) And it was really lonely with the runners spread so thin and there were no music stops or spectators around that section.

This elevation chart didn't seem so bad when I was signing up. "Oh, look at all the flat stuff in between the hills, that'll be fine!" ... :eek:

4b2kWUv.png

But I finished and I already sent in my Half Fanatics stuff. :) It is kind of a silly thing but I made Half Fanatics a goal last fall and then didn't finish it because of W&D, and so I really wanted to finish it. I don't think I will ever do this many half marathons again though in a season, at least not until I can better maintain my training in between races. I trained for the first race on 5/14 and then I did a really crappy job maintaining training between then and now. My race in early June went the best of the 3, but 5 weeks between that one and today really hurt.

Last edited:
It was 58 when I got back in my car afterwards, so it was probably colder than that earlier. I didn't end up wearing the tank and I'm glad I didn't... I was really cold.

It wasn't pretty but I finished and I squeaked in under my 3 hour goal... 2:59:41. :) I made a lot of stretching pit stops... my left calf and hamstring were super tight. After a 4+ mile stretch allll the way around Back Cove on packed dirt trail with not a curb in sight to at least do a calf drop, I was never so happy to end up on an overpass with a concrete barrier between us and the highway traffic to head back into the city so I could do a wall stretch on my calves. The trip around the Cove was really rough, it was miles 7.5-11.5, so by then the herd had really thinned out for us back of the packers, and the path was right around the edge of it so you couldn't help but keep looking at just how long a way around the cove it was and seemingly how little progress you were making. :) And it was really lonely with the runners spread so thin and there were no music stops or spectators around that section.

This elevation chart didn't seem so bad when I was signing up. "Oh, look at all the flat stuff in between the hills, that'll be fine!" ... :eek:

4b2kWUv.png

But I finished and I already sent in my Half Fanatics stuff. :) It is kind of a silly thing but I made Half Fanaticss a goal last fall and then didn't finish it because of W&D, and so I really wanted to finish it. I don't think I will ever do this many half marathons again though in a season, at least not until I can better maintain my training in between races. I trained for the first race on 5/14 and then I did a really crappy job maintaining training between then and now. My race in early June went the best of the 3, but 5 weeks between that one and today really hurt.

Congrats on the sub-3 and bigger congrats on following through with your goal of qualifying for half fanatics!

party:

I would like some advice on adjusting the RunDisney Galloway training plan for the Lumiere Challenge. The week of July 18th I'll be on a Disney cruise (going to Alaska!!!) and I know there's very little chance I'll get those runs in, especially the 5 miler on Saturday since that's a port day (although who knows - I'll probably get in 5+ miles of walking that day). Should I just shift back that week to the week of the 25th (thus doing the 5 miler on the next Saturday) and then shift back everything else afterwards as well? Then I'd be skipping one of the weeks at the end (one calls for a 14 miler which I know I don't need to do to be ready for the half). Or should I skip Week 3 since it's early in the plan and pick up with Week 4?

While it is a pain to do run/walk on treadmills (some more so than others), this is not the worst view...

fitness-centers-00.jpg

I had a potato, egg and cheese taco this morning after my long run (just barely made it for breakfast time!!!) and it was perfect.

I feel bad for non-Texas people that don't know the amazing healing powers of tacos, especially breakfast tacos.

Tacos! Yes! But next time you share such a tasty description of breakfast tacos, please be prepared to bring enough for all of us! popcorn::

QOTD: I am curious about how everyone plans their running schedule. How far into the future does your training plan go? How often do you find yourself revising pace/distance/ect once you originally planned them?

I have a marathon planned for the middle of November. 28 weeks is the length of my current plan, I have completed 10 weeks so far but for full disclosure the first 8 were primarily to build base mileage! Haven't made any revisions to the plan so far, but it has taken discipline to not try and run more miles or faster than the paces prescribed with the plan.

LOL! Truly the pleasure is all mine! It's a fun hobby to put together training plans and trying to fit one's needs and desires into a plan that I feel can best get them to their goals. ...... That's really just a small part of my life that could mean something much more immense to someone else. Happy to help!

Big thanks to @DopeyBadger for helping so many of us! :thumbsup2
Hope to be able to repay your kindness some day.

@Keels....thanks for your kind words. You are always so nice and truly been a great source of inspiration for me and many others.
Hopefully we will have a big group get together for beers and pictures at Dopey18!

IMG_5445.jpg

Running the whole race while setting a PR by 2 1/2 minutes is a HUGE accomplishment. Great job!

I would say if you can get the 5 miles in on the ship's treadmill than your plan sounds like a good one. You don't need a 14 mile long run to have a successful 1/2 marathon.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter