The Running Thread - 2016

QOTD: Lets talk about compression. Do you use compression gear? If so, do you run with it, for recovery, or both? Do you find that it helps any?
I only have and use compression shorts. I think they work well and I used them in my days playing football and now running. I also have a pair of compression pants buts will only wear those when it gets colder outside.

QOTD: Lets talk about compression. Do you use compression gear? If so, do you run with it, for recovery, or both? Do you find that it helps any?

I have a pair of the knee length CEP compression socks that I only wear occasionally but never actually wear while running. When my miles increase I will wear them post run for recovery and when I am flying to a race I often wear them on the plane on the way down to help with blood flow.

I have noticed that when I wear them after a run where my calves are sore I feel better sooner but that could very well be placebo effect.

ATTQOTD: I always wear compression tights under my running shorts because my thighs rub (Ross, Marshall's always have sweet deals on them).

I will wear compression socks for recovery, but sometimes its a greater workout getting them on post long run than the actual long run was! It makes for some solid entertainment dealing with my body cramping up as I'm trying to get them on.

ATTQOTD: I have a pair of compression socks I purchased when I first started running, because I felt they helped with shin splints. I would only wear them now on cross training days. Between putting them and a sports bra on, I feel it's a good full body work out with a little cardio mixed in :rotfl2:

I just saw an article that pretty much said they are really a placebo. They work if you think they will work. I didn't read the details - just the first paragraph, so I can't comment on the science or lack thereof.

Truly I don't wear them much, because of the heat. When it's cool enough to wear them, I'm usually in capris. At that point my vanity kicks in, and I can't look ridiculous while wearing them. Would I tick the pants into the socks or the other way around?

Last edited:

After I tweaked my hamstring during a speed workout 8 days ago, I decided to order a very nice pair of compression shorts (CW-X Pros). For at least a while, I will wear them anytime I do speed or tempo runs just to give me extra muscle support. I've never really liked to wear compression shorts before, but these are really nice. Yesterday when I did my weekly speedwork (that I had to quit last week because of a little hamstring scare), I had no issues at all. Perhaps I would've been fine without them, but I never even thought about my hamstring yesterday and they were way more comfortable than I thought they'd be during a workout. I also felt good all day yesterday, but that could've been more of a mental thing too.

So.

I may have registered for an Ultra in 2017. I clearly have a brain tumor.

:rotfl2: Good luck!! My husband just finished his first ultra (50K) and had a great time doing it. You will do great!

ATTQOTD: I have compression calf sleeves. I only wore them some my first year running when I was battling shin splints. Otherwise I've never used them. I do run in SparkleSkirts which have compression shorts under the skirt, although they are less compression then just stretch lycra/spandex fabric. Helps me with thigh chaffing. :)

I don't use any. I've heard good things, just haven't made an effort to try it because I haven't had major issues.

I have a pair of Zensah calf sleeves. I used to use them after every long training run. They really make a difference for post-recovery running and made me feel stronger and quicker afterwards. However, I recently read that wearing them too often could be a dampener to adaptations that occur after long training runs. Part of the process of cumulative fatigue and long training runs is to put stress on your body so that it learns to adapt. So now I've switched to using the calf sleeves only after races or during my Dopey days after each race. They really can make a dramatic difference post-recovery.

As far as the science goes, for post-recovery workouts there is good science to say that it works. Similar to people who wear them because of diabetes. Helping blood flow.

But the during running science isn't there yet. The science has shown that the current markers for physiological performance show no changes between people with or without compression gear on. As many people have said it could be a mental placebo effect. But the scientist in me says that there has to be something there. Too many people use it successfully. It's really hard to do a blind clinical trial with calf sleeves because it would be quite obvious to the subject whether they were or weren't wearing them. So it's near impossible to remove the placebo effect unless you use naive subjects who know nothing about compression gear. With that being said, I believe that it's probably one of two things at work: 1) placebo effect or 2) more recently I've thought it just could be a matter of something that science just hasn't found the benefit that already exists. It's quite possible that the studies done to date have missed the mark on what the beneficial change is when wearing them. It doesn't mean they're not beneficial, just we don't know why yet.

But in the end does it really matter? As long as you think they work for you and they work for you, then go for it.

An interesting parallel study was one with runners and running clothes. Can't remember all of the details well but essentially the study was on people and their perception of running clothes. They were given a few options to run in and were told to evaluate them based on performance. In all cases they were the exact same item except they had a different branding item on it. Thus, the singlet was exactly the same but they put a Nike swoosh, or Saucony logo, or Target logo, or a Marshall's logo on it. And you know what? People ran better in the Nike items. Why? Because people subconsciously thought the Nike item was a better product because it was Nike. And because they "felt better" and "felt faster" in the Nike item. They felt superior running in it because it was name brand even though the item was exactly the same.

So to tie it back to the compression gear, it doesn't matter the reason why it works because if it works keep doing it. If you run faster in compression gear, then by all means run with it on. I'm all about trying to find every legal competitive advantage I can find to make me a better runner.

I have compression sleeves and socks. When I started running I wore the sleeves during races. Now I just wear the socks after long runs or races. It may be a placebo but I feel it helps my legs/calves feel better sooner.

So last Monday I was working at my kitchen counter and didn't notice my beagle, Hunter, came and sat down behind my feet. I turned around and BAM! Face plant! Actually, I hit pretty squarely on my right knee. I wasn't able to run for a few days due to that, then Thursday it felt better so I did a 3 miler on my treadmill that felt like I was running thru oatmeal! Turns out I was getting hit by a nasty cold. Today is my first day back to work. I have not done a run that I feel counts in my training since a week ago last Saturday(6/18). Supposed to run a 3 miler tonight but I'm not feeling it. My body is drained and exhausted. I have slept 16-18 hour days since Friday, napping constantly. If you knew me, you would know this is abnormal as I can't usually even take a nap when I need one. Hoping to feel better soon! Bleh!

In other news, DD26 canceled the half marathon on Labor day on me now, too. I am not even going to visit her. Not a huge deal, since our family vacation to WDW is 9/18 so I will see her less than 2 weeks later. But now I am not really training for anything and feel just kinda lost?? I need a goal, lol.....

I wear compression shorts during my long races. I find they help support my quads and hamstrings as I get tired. I tried calf sleeves once and they did nothing but make me hotter than I already was. I use a pair of recovery compression socks or tights after long runs, long races, and long rides. I also have a pair of compression socks I wear on the plane. They help keep my legs feeling okay after 14 or 16 hours in the air.

ATTQOTD from yesterday: (Current PR / Goal)
5k (25:45 / no real goal)
10k (48:46 / no real goal)
13.1 (1:49 / sub-1:45)
26.2 (3:53 / sub-3:45)
56 (10:40 / sub-10)
100 (xx / sub-24)

Last edited:
ATTQOTD: I wear calf sleeves on most runs, but I change it up now. I do like the way they feel. I have some socks for long trips and when my lower legs feel especially taxed. I got some recovery tights this spring for after long runs and they do feel pretty good to lounge in. I also have arm sleeves for colder days, as they are easy to shed and carry as I heat up.

For me, it is all about feel. I've run a couple races in compression shirts (storm trooper and darth vader, of course), but I admit I felt pretty slick in them. There is something about feeling held together and compact that just feels ready to go. And it adds to the preparation ritual.

My 8th grade science fair project... I told people they were drinking two blind brands and no one could tell a difference. I then told them one was Diet Coke and other that President's Choice generic stuff. But they were all drinking two cups of diet coke, mwahahahaha. It worked by the way. People generally said one was sweeter over the other one after I said they were different. When I asked their preference it always matched the diet coke. Whether it was more or less sweet. Our brains are weird.
I got a second place...not that I'm bitter about it still or anything.

I have compression shorts, tights and sleeves. I will wear the shorts and tights for half marathons or the 10k if I'm doing a half the next day. I wear the sleeves for recovery after a half or after 10k if I have a half on the next day. I like how the compression holds everything tight, but I can't wear compression tops, those drive me crazy.

oh, I have compression ankle support as well, sometimes my ankles feel tender after a half, I will put them on for support.

I have compression socks that I use strictly for recovery. I tried running in them but it just didn't feel comfortable to me. I like wearing them after long runs and on the rare occasion we fly. You can add compression socks to the long list of things (goo or gels, a running belt, etc) I thought I would never need or use for running.

Another thought about compression gear - if it makes you feel better, wear it. Why it makes you feel better really doesn't matter. Running is far more a mental sport than a physical one for most of us, so you take any mental edge that you can get.

I used CEP compression socks during the Tink half in 2014. I can't say how effective they were since I had several factors that were going on...undertraining leads to a race day that feels like you're throwing things against a wall to see if they stick.

I have a pair of Zensah calf sleeves. I used to use them after every long training run.

You said the magic word: Zensahhhh. I LOVE their sports bras. I feel weird wearing anything else now when I run.

ATTQOTD:

I run in calf sleeves for longer races and most long training runs. I've always had problems with cramping in the longer runs/races and since using the sleeves I've had little to no problems. Now that might be due to better training and have my body better prepared for the distances but I do believe they have helped.

ATTQOTD: I have a pair of calf sleeves that I wear post-run if I am feeling particularly beat up. Sometimes after a race I'll wear them in the afternoon, but for training runs, it's usually more if I've done a long run in the morning and then been on my feet for the rest of the day. Sometimes my legs are screaming by evening, so I will wear them overnight. My legs always feel great the next morning! I haven't ever tried to wear them while running. I think I would get too hot!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter