The Running Thread - 2016

I just finished one of my worst runs in a long time, and all of y'alls mantras failed me. I tried them all ... except @derekleigh's. :scared::mad:Nothing was helping me ignore the cramping from mile 8 on.

Ha I was thinking the same thing after I finished a horrible half marathon this morning. Think it was my worst race ever. But short memory about it and on to the next run.

I had an ok-ish run myself this morning. 6 miles is not what I had planned on doing the week before my first half of the year (was supposed to do 11), but my achilles has been sore. The run was not bad until I hit the last 3 miles... miles 4 and 6 have a lot of uphills on that route, and I tried to keep my steps shorter so my ankle did not flex as much, but I could still feel it in my calf. When I'm running the achilles doesn't really bother me at all, it's up in my calf that I can feel it... but after I'm done, then it's stiff and sore in the lower part of my leg.

"Please let me sh**!"

And

"Lord, give me the strength to run to the best of my abilities"

(These are pre-race mantras) ;)

Love the first one! Used a modified version mid-race during the SWDS Half: "Please let me make the next set of porta-johns! Please let me make the next set of porta-johns!"

On a related note I deliver your racing PSA of the day:

Make sure you lock the porta-John door behind you when answering the call of nature mid-race. I'm certain the gentleman who discovered I failed to do so would agree with me.

Well I managed a DFL finish and still got a medal for 1st in my age division! Tiny local race - maybe 50-75 total in 5k and 10k combined. Everyone started together and they all took off and left me in the dust! Stuck to my intervals though and started passing people who ran out of steam lol. But then I got to the 5k turnaround and I was ALONE!! Very poorly marked course in a part of town I am unfamiliar with. I thought I was lost twice at least. Finally around mile 3.5 some other runners met me as they were coming back and I realized I was DFL.. Sigh. Got to the 10k turnaround and told the volunteers I was the last runner lol. So I closed down all the volunteer / police crossing points and they all headed back to the finish line. When I finally finished EVERYONE was standing there waiting for me, cheering me on. I missed beating my 10k PR by 1 minute as the last mile was uphill and I was done! It's pretty disheartening to run an awesome race (for me!) with a 12:25 average and still finish DFL! :eek:

Well I managed a DFL finish and still got a medal for 1st in my age division! Tiny local race - maybe 50-75 total in 5k and 10k combined. Everyone started together and they all took off and left me in the dust! Stuck to my intervals though and started passing people who ran out of steam lol. But then I got to the 5k turnaround and I was ALONE!! Very poorly marked course in a part of town I am unfamiliar with. I thought I was lost twice at least. Finally around mile 3.5 some other runners met me as they were coming back and I realized I was DFL.. Sigh. Got to the 10k turnaround and told the volunteers I was the last runner lol. So I closed down all the volunteer / police crossing points and they all headed back to the finish line. When I finally finished EVERYONE was standing there waiting for me, cheering me on. I missed beating my 10k PR by 1 minute as the last mile was uphill and I was done! It's pretty disheartening to run an awesome race (for me!) with a 12:25 average and still finish DFL! :eek:

Don't bury the lead - first in your age group. ;) Sounds like you ran a good race since you were close to a PR!

Yeah, nothing works all the time. I also have miserable runs. I put them out of my mind and move forward because, for me, they represent a small minority of my runs. But those mantras have helped me finish many miserable runs that I would have otherwise bagged.

So, turns out my 6km tonight was actually 6.5km! So that blew my 40min goal, but I did finish in 43:52 which is pretty darn close!

It ended up being a great experience. The race was women only and there were 1400 women from over 120 countries. They printed our countries flag on our bibs so you could see where everyone was from. Having never run in Europe before I wasn't sure what to expect, but people were so considerate of each other. At one point I stopped for a walk break and other runners stopped to give me encouragement, it was lovely. Not sure if it was Swiss precision at play, but the etiquette from runners was perfect.

The race was on a Saturday evening, and I was worried about the vibe given the first 2kms were in a residential area. There was no need to worry. Everyone came out from their houses and were having barbecues or picnics in their front yards and toasting the runners coming past. The smells were amazing, never been so hungry during a race!

We then had a few kms through fields and a vineyard which were beautiful. Then out onto lake Geneva for the home stretch. Along the final kilometre there was probably more than a thousand people cheering us on. It was unbelievable. Given the number of people out for the 6.5 and 10km tonight I can't wait to see what the crowd is like for the half and full marathon in the morning (I am doing the half).

Can't for the life of me work out how to post a picture of the bling here using my iPad, but for those keen to see it I had it on Instagram (I am @BELINDARAE15).

Hope everyone else running this week has a great time.

ATTQOTD: My mantra tends to be just get round the course. I tend to pick someone who seems a similar speed to me and I tell myself that I will not let them beat me while they have no idea that I am doing that. For the Disney Paris half it is going to be get over that line in enough of a piece to be able to get home for work the next day.

ATTQOTD: My mantra tends to be just get round the course. I tend to pick someone who seems a similar speed to me and I tell myself that I will not let them beat me while they have no idea that I am doing that

I do this same thing. It has helped me push myself beyond what I thought capable many times!

that was me in december.. Finished #34 of #34.. Dead last by 10 min but within seconds of my PR

Finished my marathon in 3:28:35. It was 2 minutes off my time I trained for, but given the circumstances around the run (Spoiler - CRAZY WIND!) I am beyond ecstatic. It's a marathon PR by 10 minutes for me and beat my time on the same course from last year by 90 MINUTES! If you'd like the long (yea, like really long) version check out my training journal recap:

http://www.disboards.com/threads/to...comments-welcome.3475601/page-9#post-55721698

Congrats to all of the other runners this weekend!

I wouldn't worry to much about finishing last. I never really worry about that kind of stuff because it more has to do with the field you are running with than your performance in my opinion. And a dead last finish is ALWAYS better than all those people sitting on the coach. As one of my favorite people, Tony Horton, says, "Do your best and forget the rest". If you went out and did your best you have nothing to be worried about and you should be proud of yourself because your best is always enough.

Yeah, nothing works all the time. I also have miserable runs. I put them out of my mind and move forward because, for me, they represent a small minority of my runs. But those mantras have helped me finish many miserable runs that I would have otherwise bagged.

Miserable runs are part of the deal. I am in a stretch of them as we speak. But what I have found in the very short time I have been running is, just when I start to get down because of a bad stretch of runs, and I question why I do this, I go out and have a run that feels so easy that no matter how hard I push myself during that run I don't get tired or winded. The goal is to try and make all the bad runs happen during training and try to time the good runs for the actual races.

I am happy to report that my Achilles tendonitis has returned and it is in both ankles now. Getting out of bed in the morning is a real pleasure, not that last summer was anymore fun with PF.

Finished my marathon in 3:28:35. It was 2 minutes off my time I trained for, but given the circumstances around the run (Spoiler - CRAZY WIND!) I am beyond ecstatic. It's a marathon PR by 10 minutes for me and beat my time on the same course from last year by 90 MINUTES! If you'd like the long (yea, like really long) version check out my training journal recap:

http://www.disboards.com/threads/to...comments-welcome.3475601/page-9#post-55721698

Congrats to all of the other runners this weekend!

Great job on the race. You know, every time I hear, or read, about someone's story from a marathon I am both impressed and it also makes me wonder why I signed up for another one of these. They are so hard. For example, you got a stitch/cramp and it never happened during training so why now? There are just so many things that can happen during any of these races, of any distance actually.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter