The Running Thread - 2016

QOTD: What is your 'gotta have it' nightly sleep regimen? How little sleep does it take before you know things are not going to go well the next day?
I need six hours but I prefer eight. if I have less than six things start to get ugly and I am downright mean with less than four.

QOTD: What is your 'gotta have it' nightly sleep regimen? How little sleep does it take before you know things are not going to go well the next day?

I typically need 7 hours of sleep to feel good during my morning workouts, though when I've been in peak training mode, that creeps up to 8-8.5. Oddly, if I get 9 or more, I feel sluggish and worse than if I get 7-8.

ATTQOTD: I usually go to bed at 8:30-9pm and get up at 5:15am on weekdays. So about 8.75 hrs. On the weekends, depending on the training schedule and life schedule, I typically sleep anywhere between 8-10 hours. Anything less than 8 and it usually effects me.

ATTQOTD: I usually want a minimum of 6-6.5. I'd rather have 7-8, but that just isn't always possible.

I just looked at the May races and Tinkerbell weekend is upon us!!! No, I am not going, but I want to be all of you going! I am going to stalk all of your race recaps and any information you want to throw out here after your weekend because I really want to try to go next year. This is just me saying I am jealous and excited for you all :)

Pixie dust and stuff!

ATTQOTD: I try to be in bed by 10:00 and up at 6:00. I work out and run so much better when I get 8 hours of sleep. I can get by with 6.5-7 but not happily. And now that baseball season has started I am getting much less sleep. Following a west coast team (SF Giants) while living in central standard time makes for very late games when they play at home or in their division. This year I have started taping them on the DVR and going to bed at 11:00 on weeknights.

ATTQOTD: I like to get at least 6 but I'd prefer somewhere between 7 and 8. I had around 5 hours of sleep before my race Saturday (a local 5k) and I was able to function but it did not feel good.

QOTD: I need at least 6, but average 7 to 7.5. @roxymama I remember when my kids were that young, I never got any sleep either. It gets better, although now my dog (my furry 4th child) has been waking us up multiple times a week in the middle of the night - I don't even think she really has to go potty, I think she just wants to hunt chipmunks...she's very obsessed with chipmunks! :sad2:

ATTQOTD: I end up getting only like 6-6.5 before long runs since I have to get up so early for them, but I don't fall asleep until between 11 and midnight usually. On normal nights, it's closer to midnight and I get about 7.5. I was getting 8-8.5, but we got a puppy a couple months ago and she's ready to gooooooo around 7:30.

I NEED at least 6 hours of sleep. If I get 7, I'm extremely happy. I really can't do more than 8 anymore...when I was young, I used to get 10-12.

ATTQOTD: 6.5 to 7 is my target. Usually in bed before 10. Last week we went to a concert and didn't get to bed before midnight... we were pretty worthless the next day.

Gotta have 5 hours to get by day-to-day, but if I do that too many in a row I'm going to crash. I work early mornings, so I usually end up using my weekend to try to bank a few extra hours of sleep. Of course this all wreaks havoc on my running and racing schedule. Harumph.

ATTQOTD: Sleep is a variable I'm working hard on improving. I can run on 5 hours, but likely will fatigue quicker. 6 is good for day to day for me. 7 and I feel great. Just in the last month or so my kids (8 & 10) have started sleeping in more on weekends. I had some 8 hour nights and felt like a new person:). So I really want to work on sleeping more as I start training for my first marathon. Problem is I've had trouble sleeping my whole life. So it's a goal, but I'm not sure how attainable it is. If I could even get my average to 7 I'd be happy.

ATTQOTD: If I am working out (which is almost always) I need 7 hours/night, and I try to get 8. When I get less than 7 hours/night, I simply don't recover properly. I have more muscle soreness and suffer from heavy legs. I "feel" fine until I start working out, then it becomes clear that my body needed more sleep. I generally head to bed at about 8:30, read for a bit and nod off.

When I am not working out I can get by on much less sleep for extended periods of time with no ill effects. 4-5 hours/night and I feel great.

I looked at entering the London Marathon but then I thought I would get my half marathon out of the way and see how bad that it is. Maybe a challenge for 2018.

So been playing around with my run/walk intervals. Had some success with 10/2 but 2 minutes didn't feel like enough time for me to recover. Tried a super fast run for me at 2.30/0.30 but got only about a mile before that was unsustainable. Tried 10/3 in response to my 10/2 which worked quite well for my lungs to actually be able to draw breath.
Felt pretty good that I got a very similar 5k time between 10/2 and 10/3 at around 42 minutes.

Worked out that about a 13:30 mile is comfortable but I am not racing until September so time to improve/sustain that for the full 13.1 miles.

Do any of you have any recommendations for a very thin cell phone case (iPhone 6s) that will protect against water?

I don't need an arm band or anything like that. I usually have my phone in the leg pocket of my sparkleskirt, but I sweat a lot and of course there's sometimes rain, and so I always put it in a ziploc baggie to protect it from getting wet. But this leaves me unable to use the camera, which I would like to use occasionally. So I'm looking for something that leaves my phone not-bulky but will protect my phone from water damage from sweat or rain while also leaving the camera usable.

Do any of you have any recommendations for a very thin cell phone case (iPhone 6s) that will protect against water?

I don't need an arm band or anything like that. I usually have my phone in the leg pocket of my sparkleskirt, but I sweat a lot and of course there's sometimes rain, and so I always put it in a ziploc baggie to protect it from getting wet. But this leaves me unable to use the camera, which I would like to use occasionally. So I'm looking for something that leaves my phone not-bulky but will protect my phone from water damage from sweat or rain while also leaving the camera usable.
Cant remember the name of the company, but you can send them your phone and they coat it with something that makes it waterproof. If I can find the name of the place I will let you know.

I don't know if the number of hours affects me more, or if it's the actual time I go to sleep. I guess really that's the same thing though, huh? Ha. If I fall asleep before midnight, I'm in great shape usually. Although, no matter how many hours I sleep, if I had a good run the night before, it's not enough hours. I am OUT after a good run!

ATTQOTD: I'm a mom of a 3 year old. I will not know how much sleep I should be getting for another few years I believe. The best position I can put myself in is to go to bed by like 10pm on weeknights (I go to the gym sometimes at 9pm because that's all my schedule allows.) So before a race I try to be in bed by 9:30pm.
I wake up everyday sometime after 5am weekday & weekends. The few times I get to wake up at like 7am is a miracle. I'd say I wake up at least 4-8 times a night due to "momma wolf syndrome" or "momma-bladder syndrome" or just because the kiddo is restless in her room making noises. I do not sleep in...ever...I do not run in the mornings either. I am incapable of properly napping the few chances I get. Sleep does not know me and I do not know it. :)

Guess one day when I do get sleep I'll probably start setting world records for running times :)

OMG. I am dying over here as I feel like my niece says these same words to me (she has an almost 3-year-old). On top of that, she's a nurse, so she works 12-hour shifts sometimes and starts really early. Hang in the mama!

OMG. I am dying over here as I feel like my niece says these same words to me (she has an almost 3-year-old). On top of that, she's a nurse, so she works 12-hour shifts sometimes and starts really early. Hang in the mama!

Thanks! I work for 9 hours. Am in the car for an hour. And I cook all the dinners and do a lot of the household upkeep. So finding time to run has replaced all the other "finding time to socialize." Sleep is like an afterthought :) This is why I figure anything with the word "marathon" in it will have to be very strategically timed around my lack of time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter