The Running Thread - 2016

I don't see a need for the extra features. All the analysis and information I need is in Training Peaks, my primary workout scheduling and tracking site.

Just took on a coach And he has me using Training Peaks. Need to figure out what some of that stuff means but I like it. I'll just use Strava for the free stuff.

Don't know official but 10k PR today. I'll report back with actual time :) I think 1:07. Great for post cold.

This was a great race weekend, I'll write a report with tons of pics.

Great job and congratulations!

As for the Strava talk, I don't think the premium is really necessary, but it's only 6 bucks a month and I like doing the challenges. As for other reasons to use Strava over other running apps, I mainly use it because it seems to be the app of choice for the professional athletes, especially trail runners. So I follow Sage Canaday, Gary Robbins, and a few others. It's amazing the work those guys put in. Sage Canaday in particular loads all his training onto Strava (apparently not all the runners make all of their training public, they hide some from those they'll be racing against).

I beat my goal today... just barely! I had set a goal of 35:00 and finished in 34:58, although the course was a little long. Not just long like a Disney race where there's weaving and stuff to add distance, this was just a small local race, and I am really good at running tangents in local races because I know the roads. :) I went back and checked last year's RunKeeper distance against my Garmin this year and both times I logged 3.18 miles for 5K.

I am pleased but also a little worried about my achilles area on my left leg. It's super stiff... I think I strained my calves in my 10 mile race last weekend, especially the left one. I didn't run again until Thursday, although I did spin on Mon/Wed, but I wanted to test it out before the race today. I don't think it feels too much worse after I run, mainly just super stiff, and achy when I push off on my toe. I know going uphill bothers it a bit too, and of course the first half of this race was a lot of uphill. My first half marathon of 3 this spring is coming up in 2 weeks and I should really get one more long run in before it next weekend. The 10 mile race is as far as I've gone this training cycle so far.

I had a weird situation during the race that I'm not sure what to do about. I was yo-yo-ing with a man who was mainly walking, but I am 99% sure that on at least one occasion I saw him jogging. I thought he was just a run/walker, too. But when we got near the finish, he put it into super race walker mode and power walked into the finish, which I thought was weird, who power walks into the finish even if they run/walk? It made me wonder if he was registered as a race walker. This race is part of a local race series that has a race walker division. I feel like I should report it or something? He came in 3rd in the race walker division today and looking at last year's overall series results, he was one of the top race walkers in the series. I don't want to be a tattle tale or anything, but if he's competing for a prize as a race walker, it's not really fair if he is jogging out on the course.

I beat my goal today... just barely! I had set a goal of 35:00 and finished in 34:58, although the course was a little long. Not just long like a Disney race where there's weaving and stuff to add distance, this was just a small local race, and I am really good at running tangents in local races because I know the roads. :) I went back and checked last year's RunKeeper distance against my Garmin this year and both times I logged 3.18 miles for 5K.

I am pleased but also a little worried about my achilles area on my left leg. It's super stiff... I think I strained my calves in my 10 mile race last weekend, especially the left one. I didn't run again until Thursday, although I did spin on Mon/Wed, but I wanted to test it out before the race today. I don't think it feels too much worse after I run, mainly just super stiff, and achy when I push off on my toe. I know going uphill bothers it a bit too, and of course the first half of this race was a lot of uphill. My first half marathon of 3 this spring is coming up in 2 weeks and I should really get one more long run in before it next weekend. The 10 mile race is as far as I've gone this training cycle so far.

I had a weird situation during the race that I'm not sure what to do about. I was yo-yo-ing with a man who was mainly walking, but I am 99% sure that on at least one occasion I saw him jogging. I thought he was just a run/walker, too. But when we got near the finish, he put it into super race walker mode and power walked into the finish, which I thought was weird, who power walks into the finish even if they run/walk? It made me wonder if he was registered as a race walker. This race is part of a local race series that has a race walker division. I feel like I should report it or something? He came in 3rd in the race walker division today and looking at last year's overall series results, he was one of the top race walkers in the series. I don't want to be a tattle tale or anything, but if he's competing for a prize as a race walker, it's not really fair if he is jogging out on the course.

Congrats on beating your goal time!! Hope the Achilles feels better.

As for the race walker guy, I couldn't begin to give you any help there. I don't know what I would I do in that situation. I guess it's kind of like cutting the course and I would hope I report someone I saw doing that. But I shy away from conflict so I get your indecision. Also I had no idea races has race walker divisions.

JMO, but if you are not 100% certain, you need to leave it alone. Without video evidence they aren't going to do anything anyway. And, more importantly, why publicly question another person's integrity if you are not 100% certain?

Congrats on beating your goal!

@Miranda you should google race walking (like Olympic). The people who do it really well, it looks a lot like jogging. Really really weird jogging, of course. You might be right, BUT, real race walking is like a crazy "almost jog" that's pretty fast.

I've added a YouTube link

I am pleased but also a little worried about my achilles area on my left leg.

Do the pinch test on your achilles. (Plenty of stuff online if you don't know how to do it.) I'm rehabbing mine right now and can't really feel it most of the time, so that's how I keep track of my progress. If it fails, even a little, put in the eccentric drops right away. You can keep running while you do them.

@Miranda you should google race walking (like Olympic). The people who do it really well, it looks a lot like jogging. Really really weird jogging, of course. You might be right, BUT, real race walking is like a crazy "almost jog" that's pretty fast.
Thanks! Yeah, he was noticeably jogging, it wasn't the weird crazy fast walking that looks very strange. He was just jogging normally. But you guys are right, if I am not 100% sure I should probably not say anything, but I will definitely keep an eye out at the other races in this series, there are 8 total races. If he was walking/jogging/whatever at the same pace as I was today, it is likely I will see him again. I know last year I ended up running around a lot of the same people race after race. There was a different race walker last year that I was so happy to finally beat him at like the last race of the season after seeing him at every single race. :D

Do the pinch test on your achilles. (Plenty of stuff online if you don't know how to do it.) I'm rehabbing mine right now and can't really feel it most of the time, so that's how I keep track of my progress. If it fails, even a little, put in the eccentric drops right away. You can keep running while you do them.
Thanks! I looked into that... it actually feels kind of good when I pinch it, kind of like when you massage a sore muscle? But I can feel it in a way that I cannot on the other side, so I will try doing those exercises.

Finished the Cap City Half in 2:43, which is an average time for me. I have driven around Columbus frequently but never realized how "hilly" it is! And, I swear there was way more uphill than downhill!

The race was well organized and the finish party area is awesome! Free champagne, beer, pizza and chocolate milk!

It also served as the USATF National Half Marathon Championship this year--which made it more fun!

The course begins downtown and takes you north to Ohio State's campus, south through the Short North, Arena District and downtown, then through German Village and the Brewery District before crossing the Scioto River--twice---to the finish line.

Thanks! I looked into that... it actually feels kind of good when I pinch it, kind of like when you massage a sore muscle? But I can feel it in a way that I cannot on the other side, so I will try doing those exercises.
Wow those are hard... my ankles are so weak. :o

My 10k didn't go quite as I'd hoped. I missed my goal by almost 4 minutes, but it was a PR either way, and I learned a few things. I tried running with e 8:00/mile pacer, and due to congestion and being slow on the first mile, he really picked it up the second. I wasn't quite ready for that, but lesson learned. Run your own race and not the pacers. Also, my left shoe came untied around 3.5 miles and got too loose to keep running at about 5.5. I stopped to tie it, and apparently did so in some awkward position. My leg managed to fall asleep while doing so and I had to walk a little while waiting for it to wake up again. Double knot your shoes and don't worry about it. My official time ended up being 51:53. Not my dream time, but I'll be satisfied with it for my first 10k. And the good news is it is significantly better than my brother time from Dopey 2014, and what I'm shooting for for Dopey 2017. So, in the long run I can't complain too much.

Joined up on Strava, adding some British runs to the mix.

Kinda hitting a wall at the moment as my training program (a couch to 10k) is asking me to do longer runs
Day 1 - R 20min, Wk 2min, R 20min
Day 2 - Run 25min
Day 3 - Run 40min

Day 1 freaked me out so ended up changing it to 10 min and then 2 min walks times 4. I have really benefitted from having a structure that I have to follow but I don't feel like I'm ready to go up as far as it is asking (whether I am freaked for no reason or I am running too fast).

Trying to fill in the gap between now and starting a Jeff Galloway half-marathon plan (date altered for Disney Paris Half) and I don't want to lose faith/progress/injure myself.

Joined up on Strava, adding some British runs to the mix.

Kinda hitting a wall at the moment as my training program (a couch to 10k) is asking me to do longer runs
Day 1 - R 20min, Wk 2min, R 20min
Day 2 - Run 25min
Day 3 - Run 40min

Day 1 freaked me out so ended up changing it to 10 min and then 2 min walks times 4. I have really benefitted from having a structure that I have to follow but I don't feel like I'm ready to go up as far as it is asking (whether I am freaked for no reason or I am running too fast).

Trying to fill in the gap between now and starting a Jeff Galloway half-marathon plan (date altered for Disney Paris Half) and I don't want to lose faith/progress/injure myself.

Personally, I'd cut back (WAY back) on the run intervals. I quit C25K at week 4 and switched to Galloway. I don't have any desire to run for 20 minutes straight with no walk break.

Personally, I'd cut back (WAY back) on the run intervals. I quit C25K at week 4 and switched to Galloway. I don't have any desire to run for 20 minutes straight with no walk break.
My wife never went past a 5 minute run interval and she went from couch to half marathon. I agree - find what works for you and keep it fun. If it gets too hard, we want to stop altogether.

I failed at C25K on Week 5 probably 4 or 5 times over the years, trying to get back into running, before I found out about Galloway and just started doing that when training from couch to half marathon for Tink last year. It also took me a while doing "long" intervals like C25K has before I finally settled way down on 90/30 (second) intervals last spring. For a while I was trying to do 5/1 to try and run as much as I could, then 4/1, then 3/1, then finally 2:30/0:30 for Tink (I tried that one with no training after someone, I think ZellyB, posted in the Tink thread last year that the recommendation was a 30 second walk interval now), then after I got back I dropped it even further to my current 90/30.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter