The Running Thread - 2016

Should have done my long-ish run yesterday. I have only run once now in the past 2 weeks, a short 2.5 mile run. :( I had my HM on 6/5, then my 10K on 6/11. My back was so messed up from that I didn't run all that next week. I went to the chiropractor on Friday, almost a week after the 10K, and then decided to let it settle down from the adjustment last weekend. So, I ran once this week and was going to do a long-ish 7-8 mile run this weekend. I have another HM in 2 weeks.

Since the weather looked about the same yesterday and today, I decided to do it today because we always have a lot of stuff on Saturday mornings... we go to breakfast, then do the groceries, and then take the dog to the dog park. Fills up the morning, so I figured I'd push the run to this morning, when all we have is bringing the dog out for her mostly daily off leash romp at a big farm by the bay. Of course, last night I went to bed late (midnight), woke up around 3, and then couldn't get sleepy again until past 5, and my alarm for the run was set to 6. I was feeling that nauseous overtired feeling, so I just turned off the alarm. :(

Now I gotta get my butt out there and do it tomorrow morning with morning commute traffic... ugh. I have never run long on a weekday before, this is going to be interesting.

I just made my husband chase me around the neighborhood while he pushed our 45+ lb kid in a 40+ lb jogging wagon (it's one of those pods that can be a stroller or bike trailer) for 5 miles. All while our kid heckled us about what he thinks is running slow. Then I gave my husband a hard time about how wiped he was after. It was a fun afternoon.

Last edited:
Same here - hang dry everything except socks.

I rotate 3-4 pair of shoes. I do not wear the same pair 2 days in a row. I run trails so they often get pretty muddy - I just rinse with a hose upon my return home and let them dry before their next run.

I actually hang up my socks too. Laundry takes FOREVER.

Olympic diving trials are on nbc sportsnet and gymnastics and diving are one in an hour on main NBC. For anyone who loves that kind of thing :) Trials all week so keep an eye out!

I'm watching it all! I am a summer Olympics freak!

I had my race today. I won't do as in depth a review as others have but I'll summarize the best I can.

The weather was perfect this morning when I left the house at 5 am to meet my friend Matt, who ran with me today. We got to Boston Common very early and just found a spot in the shade as it began to heat up so we could stay cool as long as possible. The temp probably reached 75' at the start of the race. It is only a 10K but there were just over 10,000 people running based on what the announcer said. It was pretty crowded on the course.

From mile 2 to 4.5 we were in the sun, with very little option for shade and while it was hot, I was doing fine. There was a breeze so it felt good but Matt was having a tough time in the sun. The last 1.7 miles had more options for shade so Matt took advantage of that but I stayed in the sun because there were less people and I like my space.

My goal was to beat Matt's time from last year but we missed it by 1:00. My finish time was 1:08:39. I was a little frustrated at times during the run because I knew my time wasn't what I wished it could be but my ankle doesn't normally hurt when I run and I could feel it all morning so I knew I couldn't push myself. It was just such a perfect day to run and I wished I could have given it my all. But for today, what I gave was my all. I still needed to be able to run next Sunday as that is the most important because it is with my kids so I couldn't risk hurting myself worse today.

I got to meet @SueInBoston. It was nice to put a face to the name. We didn't get to talk long and it was a bit hectic as the award ceremony was going on but it was a pleasure nonetheless.

As I mentioned, Shalane Flanagan ran. There was a buzz having her there. She set the American record for a 10K, according to the announcer during the award ceremony. Her time, if I remember correctly, was 30:52. We were at about 2 miles when she was coming back in the opposite direction and she was flying. All of us "regular people" were cheering her on.

shalane flanagan.jpg

She's in pretty good shape. :D She said she still has a lot of work to do to get ready for Rio but she feels good about her chances to make it to the podium. That got an energetic response.

The medal and shirt improved over last year as well.

shirt and medal.jpg

Overall, it was a great day. I am sore but I will be up early for my bike ride tomorrow and I will be ready for my race next weekend as well.

I don't hang up my medals, yet. But I still loved adding another to my "collection" because it was another experience added to the collection as well, and it was a good one. If anyone has a chance to run a BAA race it is highly recommended. They are very well run, as you can imagine given it's the same organization that runs the Boston Marathon. People come from all over the world for these races.

Curious if anyone has any tips or suggestions for how to best care for our technical shirts, socks, and shoes to prolong their life or if you just do what I am doing.
Somebody posted earlier about the cushioning of their shoes and giving it time to recover from a run. Does that really work?
Wash cold, hang to dry and turn inside out if there's a logo. I usually just stick air freshener stuff in my shoes though.

On a different note, does anyone have a local running group that uses the phone area code as the group name? They've started popping up the last few months and in late-April/early-May we got one for my area code. It's just a facebook group with regular group runs for local of all levels to get together and run or hang out rather than a formal group with dues and such but I've been able to find people to run with every now and then, which is great in the summer when I can't convince myself to go out on my own.

QOTD: What is your current PR's for the following distances: 5k, 10k, 13.1, and 26.2? What are you goals for those distances in the next 9 months?

ATTQOTD: (Current PR / Goal)
5k ( 21:18 / 19:00 )
10k ( 45:15 / 40:20 )
13.1 ( 1:39:28 / 1:28:00 )
26.2 ( 3:43:37 / 2:59:59 )

These are very aggressive goals I have set for myself, but each one I am able to achieve get me a little bit closer to the goal of a BQ, and come my marathon in January, its Boston or Bust.

Congrats to all the racers this weekend! The BAA 10k was a big race this year with the new American record set! Would have been cool to be a part of that.

I had my race today. I won't do as in depth a review as others have but I'll summarize the best I can.

The weather was perfect this morning when I left the house at 5 am to meet my friend Matt, who ran with me today. We got to Boston Common very early and just found a spot in the shade as it began to heat up so we could stay cool as long as possible. The temp probably reached 75' at the start of the race. It is only a 10K but there were just over 10,000 people running based on what the announcer said. It was pretty crowded on the course.

From mile 2 to 4.5 we were in the sun, with very little option for shade and while it was hot, I was doing fine. There was a breeze so it felt good but Matt was having a tough time in the sun. The last 1.7 miles had more options for shade so Matt took advantage of that but I stayed in the sun because there were less people and I like my space.

My goal was to beat Matt's time from last year but we missed it by 1:00. My finish time was 1:08:39. I was a little frustrated at times during the run because I knew my time wasn't what I wished it could be but my ankle doesn't normally hurt when I run and I could feel it all morning so I knew I couldn't push myself. It was just such a perfect day to run and I wished I could have given it my all. But for today, what I gave was my all. I still needed to be able to run next Sunday as that is the most important because it is with my kids so I couldn't risk hurting myself worse today.

I got to meet @SueInBoston. It was nice to put a face to the name. We didn't get to talk long and it was a bit hectic as the award ceremony was going on but it was a pleasure nonetheless.

As I mentioned, Shalane Flanagan ran. There was a buzz having her there. She set the American record for a 10K, according to the announcer during the award ceremony. Her time, if I remember correctly, was 30:52. We were at about 2 miles when she was coming back in the opposite direction and she was flying. All of us "regular people" were cheering her on.

View attachment 177622

She's in pretty good shape. :D She said she still has a lot of work to do to get ready for Rio but she feels good about her chances to make it to the podium. That got an energetic response.

The medal and shirt improved over last year as well.

View attachment 177623

Overall, it was a great day. I am sore but I will be up early for my bike ride tomorrow and I will be ready for my race next weekend as well.

I don't hang up my medals, yet. But I still loved adding another to my "collection" because it was another experience added to the collection as well, and it was a good one. If anyone has a chance to run a BAA race it is highly recommended. They are very well run, as you can imagine given it's the same organization that runs the Boston Marathon. People come from all over the world for these races.
10,000 people for a 10K, that's amazing! So cool to see elites like Shalane as well, I love that about our sport, us "regular People" getting the opportunity to run with the best in the world. Sweet shirt too! It's identical to the one we got for the marathon only ours was the long sleeve.

QOTD: What is your current PR's for the following distances: 5k, 10k, 13.1, and 26.2? What are you goals for those distances in the next 9 months?

For the next 4+ months I am focusing on a November marathon to improve my PR and the two months after that will be geared towards Dopey 2017, so I really only have the one PR goal for the next 7-9 months. After that, we'll see what the next big challenge will be, but for now:

5k ( 25:53 / None )
10k ( 54:56 / None )
13.1 ( 1:55:42 / None )
26.2 ( 5:48:47 / 4:30:00, but will be happy with anything under 5:00:00 )

I don't have any plans to try and better my PR's over the next 9 months, especially since at this point the only races I have at these distances are Dopey. I am somewhat tempted to maybe add a local 5K this fall as I could probably better that number...

5K - 18:44 (2013) / Goal 17:xx
10K - 37:44 (2014)
13.1 - 1:22:15 (2015)
26.2 - 2:58:20 (2015)

All of my goals will come with an asterick that say "in cooler months." I feel like I have it in me, but not at 90 degrees :)

ATTQOTD:
5k 28:34/27:59
10k 1:07:13/1:02:00
13.1 none/very very slow one cause I want to do a Disney one and stop for characters :)
26.2 none/none...let's talk again in 2018

ATTQOTD: I don't even remember for sure what my PR times are specifically for races. I'm pretty slow, so time goals for me aren't huge even though I generally have a rough idea what I want to run it in, so here's my rough estimate.

(Current PR / Goal)
5k No idea on PR. I've never really done a 5K as a true race. I just treat them as fun runs and do them mostly with my kids.
10k ( 68:00ish / None )
13.1 ( 2:19ish / 2:15 )
26.2 ( 5:40ish / sub 5:00 )

Congrats to all the racers!!

5k (24:19/23:00)
10k (49:19/47:59)
13.1 (1:53:06/1:49:59)
26.2 (4:06:56/3:59:59)

I rarely run 5k races anymore, because I'm too cheap to pay to run that distance. The 5k PR would be set while running my 10k. I would like to move up 2 waves in the Monument Ave 10k from my current C (49:00-49:59) to the BA wave (47:00-47:59). I don't have a half scheduled this year, so that PR may stick around for a while. Even if I run the one recommended for the marathon training program, I'm not likely to set a PR. It's in August and on a hilly course. The marathon PR is my real focus. I just want to have a 3 in the front of whatever numbers follow. If my training paces continue, I could finish anywhere between 3:43:00 - 3:55:00 which I will be thrilled with.

On a goal related note: I broke the news to my husband what my 2017-2018 goal is going to be. I turn 40 in August 2017, so I've decided I want to do 4 (marathons) for 40. So far on the list are: Richmond 2017, WDW 2018 and Little Rock 2018. I'm undecided on the 4th one. I'm considering Grandma's, because we have friends that live a couple hours from Duluth.

Last edited:

5K: 26:38/22:00
10K: 59:49/46:00
13.1: 2:09:35/1:50:00
26.2: 5:17:53/4:00:00

A couple caveats. I run very few races and this really drove home that point for me. The 5K, 10K, and Full Marathon PR are all from 2015 Dopey. I've never run a timed 5K or 10K other than during Dopey and my four marathons have been the last four WDW Marathons with three of them being the last leg of the Dopey Challenge. Not trying to make excuses, but my goals probably seem incredibly optimistic, borderline crazy, when looking at my current PR's.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter