The Running Thread—2023

My friend told me about the Space Force T-minus 10 miler race at the Cape Canaveral Air Force Station and holy crap, yes, I am definitely doing this next year. https://runspaceforce.com/10-miler/

I know some people who ran it this year and they mentioned a distinct lack of organization. And this was from people who are very much "go with the flow." So take that for what it's worth.

My friend told me about the Space Force T-minus 10 miler race at the Cape Canaveral Air Force Station and holy crap, yes, I am definitely doing this next year. https://runspaceforce.com/10-miler/

Oh this looks like fun. Only 10 miles (when did I start thinking like this) and only a couple of hours from home. Definitely have to check it out next year.

Oh this looks like fun. Only 10 miles (when did I start thinking like this) and only a couple of hours from home. Definitely have to check it out next year.

The race looks fun and I love space. We have family over on the Space Coast so we go often and timing a trip around a race is my jam.

Yesss, run with me!

I’m also probably going to do the Space Coast half, especially if I’m running the WDW marathon next year.

That's disappointing. We got lucky and got the email that we're in. So now I need to figure out a training plan for a 10 miler and figure out flights/hotels.
That's awesome, congratulations! I re-read the email and saw that if I volunteer at this years race, then I'm guaranteed a spot for next year. So, 0615 on Saturday morning I'll be handing out t-shirts for the 5k.

That's awesome, congratulations! I re-read the email and saw that if I volunteer at this years race, then I'm guaranteed a spot for next year. So, 0615 on Saturday morning I'll be handing out t-shirts for the 5k.
I got in too, 5 weeks after Princess. I did a similar timeline between Princess and Springtime this year and I said never again. Oops :)

For those who have done the Cherry Blossom 10 Miler, where did you stay? Any hotel recommendations?
I haven't done the race before, but I've had family visit DC lots of times and want to stay closer to downtown. They always like staying at the Embassy Suites. There's one in Crystal City, VA which is just a few metro stops away (or a short Uber ride). There are also two more located centrally downtown. I like the one snuggled between Metro Center and Chinatown.

A little more expensive, but right on top of Metro Center, is the Washington Marriott at Metro Center. Really nice hotel and great location just across the Mall from the Tidal Basin.

For those who have done the Cherry Blossom 10 Miler, where did you stay? Any hotel recommendations?
I live in DC so I stayed at my house 😉 But you should note that the Metro has NOT previously opened early for this race, so make sure you know how you're going to get to the start line from your hotel.

I did the race last year and stayed at the Hyatt Place on K Street. It's directly up from the White House, so it's an easy walk to the start in the morning.

I don't know if it was exclusive to last year or just the time I went but the expo and packet pickup can be chaos. It's a very nice venue but not really conducive to hold a runners expo.

Good luck! It's a fun event and enjoyable course.

I live in DC so I stayed at my house 😉 But you should note that the Metro has NOT previously opened early for this race, so make sure you know how you're going to get to the start line from your hotel.
THIS! I was just going to say this. I'm local, but not close enough to walk, so I usually drive...at least Sunday morning there is parking a few blocks away if you're early.

I don't know if it was exclusive to last year or just the time I went but the expo and packet pickup can be chaos. It's a very nice venue but not really conducive to hold a runners expo.
Packet pickup was an absolute disaster on Friday this year. I waited for at least an hour to pick up my 5K bib, and then had to wait in line AGAIN to pick up my 10-miler bib. They actually closed the 5K pickup line before everyone had a chance to get their bibs for the next morning 😡 (Hopefully they'll fix it for next time, but this is a big reason why I didn't enter again this year.) If you're just doing the 10-miler, I would probably recommend going to the expo on Saturday.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter