• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Running Thread—2023

I made it to the coral and started looking for @OldSlowGoofyGuy. I found him and his brother.
Hey @garneska! Good to see you this morning. We finished at 1:10, not bad for 2 old guys that had possibly done too much carb-loading the night before.

You probably passed us in the first quarter mile. Never saw Mr. @garneska. Assuming he packed it in once you passed.

We hung out at 'M', didn't see anyone. Went to the member party but bagged it since the lines were so long.

We were halfway home when the crazy weather hit and we got the 'Black Flag' text.

The wrong-turn is heartbreaking to watch.

Peachtree number 37 is in the books. Already planning for 38.

I'm not sure what deerflies are, but since I generally don't have a lot of insects circling my head during a trail run, I'm going to say that no, I don't have that problem. Sometimes there are clouds of small gnat-type flies that I don't detect until I run through the cloud.

I'm assuming you've tried insect repellent? You could try insect repellent on a hat that you wear.

Speaking of freak outs... I did once have a large horsefly that started circling my head and terrorizing me (LOL) when I stopped for a quick break. It actually followed me when I started running again, which is unusual. I couldn't shake it. But I happened to be wearing my hat, so I took it off, held it by the bill, and started just spinning and waving it to try to hit the fly. And I did! It was a very satisfying bzzzzzz----t!
I wear bug spray that works great on mosquitos, but apparently has no effect of deer flies, which are smaller than horseflies, but more annoying and determined. I talked to my avid-camper great-aunts and -uncles at our 4th of July dinner tonight and they had no suggestions—one of them said you can’t even outrun the buggers on a bike.

Question for anyone who regularly runs in wooded areas: any advice on getting the deer flies to stay the %$#! away from my head? I had to detour to a non-wooded area, cut my run short, and call for a ride back to my car because the stupid deer flies kept buzzing around my head and landing in my hair and getting in my face.
Leave is pretty much the only option unless a friendly dragon fly shoes up.

ATTQOTD re: 2023 goals
I don't really know that I'm ready to set any goals yet. The whirlwind of MW is still settling, and I don't know what it is that I want to accomplish. I have this tendency to feel like I need to continually one-up myself, and a 50k has been stewing in the back of my head, but I definitely do not know if I want to make that kind of training commitment, especially since those tend to be trail runs and I don't know if my foot/ankle can take that.

But things that I definitely need to accomplish:
1. Lose some weight. It's kind of horrifying that I'm in the 20# range for what I need/want to lose without being unreasonable.
2. Do my PT exercises 3 days a week.
3. Strength train.
4. Continue to run.
5. PR in a distance I've already run.
6. Support my SIL's training as she has decided to run a half and a full for time this year.
Oh look I'm 1 for 6. *sigh* It was a crappy start to the year once MW wrapped up, but I feel like I'm mostly back on track at this point with most of them. I'm back into running (and planning on sprinkling in weight training once I'm in the groove with the running) and have been good about doing my PT stuff post-run. Not sure I'll have the opportunity to PR in anything this year since I have 0 races for 2023 on the schedule at this point. Maybe a 5k PR in a turkey trot?

So I'm re-evaluating things, but all of the listed items are still in play. None of them are unreasonable (except maybe the PR), I just wasn't particularly successful with them in the first half of the year.

June 2023: Activities: 5 Distance: 19.04 mi Time: 3:55:19 (includes a 15k)
I missed one training run due to a neck muscle strain at the beginning of the month.
I was in Paris for 12 days at the end of the month so I took off some time from running and strength training, but we did climb the stairs to the following monuments:
Arc de Triumph 14 floors
Eiffel Tower (2nd landing) 34 floors
Mount Montartre 16 floors
My calves were toast!!! All fun though and great views of the city.

Looking into July - I'm trying to earn the next Garmin Disney badge...halfway there. I'm back into strength training after vacation and I'll get back to running next week.

2023: Halfway thru the year - Goal check-in.....I didn't make any super specific fitness goals for this year other than "continue to strength train and run." I'm doing just fine on that goal. I made a non-fitness goal to read 48 books and I've already completed that!

Now it's time for summer fun!!!! Happy July everyone!

Question for anyone who regularly runs in wooded areas: any advice on getting the deer flies to stay the %$#! away from my head? I had to detour to a non-wooded area, cut my run short, and call for a ride back to my car because the stupid deer flies kept buzzing around my head and landing in my hair and getting in my face.
We don’t get those too bad here but I know someone who lives farther north and runs a lot of trail. He puts a wide piece of this double sided tape/insect tape on the back of his hat. Doesn’t stop them from approaching but when they land, they stick and are no longer your problem. Idk if I can, but I’ll try to find a picture to better demonstrate what I’m talking about.

@Bree @SheHulk , at least you got an answer. I have not heard, although I know that they are sending out stuff all day. I just wish they'd reject me now so I can get on with my day.

I didn't get into London either, as expected, but it's one of those lotteries I entered largely because I thought I wouldn't get in and I'm now relieved. Yes I know it doesn't make sense.
It makes total sense! I also keep entering race lotteries and being relieved when I don't get in... Still waiting to hear, but almost hoping for a rejection 🤷‍♀️

@Bree @SheHulk , at least you got an answer. I have not heard, although I know that they are sending out stuff all day. I just wish they'd reject me now so I can get on with my day.
I hadn't gotten an email yet (I did since), but I went to https://www.letsdothis.com/edit-booking
And it said I was "unsuccessful" there. You have to have your entry ID from your original confirmation email.

I hadn't gotten an email yet (I did since), but I went to https://www.letsdothis.com/edit-booking
And it said I was "unsuccessful" there. You have to have your entry ID from your original confirmation email.

o_O I am not sure what I am seeing......(but it does not include the word "unsuccessful")

ETA: False alarm....add me to the list of rejected people.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter