The Running Thread—2023

Great, I came in here to ask about Garmin's and I'm leaving looking into new shoes 😂 😂

But back to the Garmin. I think I'm finally ready to buy a Garmin. But I have no idea which one to go to. Right now I wear an apple watch, so I don't know if I want to trade the apple watch for a Garmin, or just get the Garmin for while running/exercising.
What garmin does everyone have/recommend? How does it integrate with an iPhone. If you've gone from an apple watch to a garmin, how have you found it?
I have the Garmin 945, mostly because I wanted the built-in mp3 music player feature. That said, since I bring my iphone on runs, I just link my Aftershokz to my phone instead of the Garmin. But the tunes are there.
I put the Garmin app on my iphone and it syncs right up, plus I can use the app to download all sorts of analytics.
I can usually go about a week before I need to recharge.
I had a Fitbit before, and have not worn it again after getting the Garmin. I *really* like the Garmin.
Pick one with the features you want and get it. You won't be sorry.

Great, I came in here to ask about Garmin's and I'm leaving looking into new shoes 😂 😂

But back to the Garmin. I think I'm finally ready to buy a Garmin. But I have no idea which one to go to. Right now I wear an apple watch, so I don't know if I want to trade the apple watch for a Garmin, or just get the Garmin for while running/exercising.
What garmin does everyone have/recommend? How does it integrate with an iPhone. If you've gone from an apple watch to a garmin, how have you found it?

I have a refurbished Forerunner 945 I'm willing to part with if you don't mind it being a generation old. I wore a 945 for 3 years and loved it and replaced it with an Epix 2 last summer. At the end my 945 was having charging issues so I got it replaced with a refurbished one from Garmin but never wore it.

I have a refurbished Forerunner 945 I'm willing to part with if you don't mind it being a generation old. I wore a 945 for 3 years and loved it and replaced it with an Epix 2 last summer. At the end my 945 was having charging issues so I got it replaced with a refurbished one from Garmin but never wore it.
Thank you! I don't mind it being a generation old at all, I'm not sure if shipping to Canada would be a pain though?

What do you want from a watch? Apple watches are great for integration with your phone and your daily life (messaging, etc.). Their sports features are getting much better, but they still fall short of Garmin, especially in battery life. Garmins are great sports watches with all kinds of metrics, but not so great at the integration bit that no one does as well as Apple. I wear a Garmin 955 because it has far better workout synching, power meter support, battery life, and multi-sport functionality than an Apple Watch. If those aren’t as important to you, switching to Garmin might not be necessary because the new Apple watches are pretty good.

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2022/09/apple-watch-ultra-in-depth-review-its-a-start.html

I have a Garmin Forerunner 55. It's a pretty basic model. I only using it for running though. I carry my phone when I run and use that plus Aftershokz for my music. I've never had an apple watch so I can't compare there, but I love my Garmin and have no complaints.

I have a Garmin Fenix 6s Pro Solar. The “s“ means smallest case size. It’s 42mm which is still pretty big on my wrist. I only bought the solar version because I liked the color. No idea if the solar works well or not 😂

I just listened to a podcast about cadence. Honestly I have never really paid attention to it. But it seems like a good idea to try to find my ideal cadence. Is the cadence on the Garmin accurate? Has anyone ran to a metronome?

I just listened to a podcast about cadence. Honestly I have never really paid attention to it. But it seems like a good idea to try to find my ideal cadence. Is the cadence on the Garmin accurate? Has anyone ran to a metronome?
I got interested in this about a year ago, and while my approach was not scientific, I can say it makes a big difference for me. I built some playlists specifically around a certain number of beats per minute (+/- 2bpm) and use those on my runs. Before I used my playlists my cadence was usually in the 155-160 range. My “easy run” playlist puts me at 165, and my “half marathon” tempo playlist is 170. I can use shorter intervals with the HM playlist and still hit my pace in training runs.

Cadence on a garmin is more than likely tied to your arm swing.

I have ran to a metronome and it is really helpful for keeping cadence. My biggest caution is not to increase your cadence too much. I tried to make too big of a jump at first and that really messed with my form/pacing.

No idea if garmin is accurate as I’ve never compared. I would guess that it’s at least moving in the right direction though (I.e. if your garmin cadence increases, your actual cadence is also increasing)

QOTD: I have fallen into a rabbit hole of carbon-plated shoe research. For those who have used them, do you think they're worth it? Which model(s) do you like? Do you use them just for races? Speedwork? Tempo runs? How long do they last?

TBH I'm pretty sure I'm just looking for an excuse to give them a try, but I have no idea how to pick one (the selection seems more limited than other types of shoes at running stores, at least when I'm looking online, so I'm not sure how easy it would be to just go and try some on). And they are pretty expensive so I don't want to waste my money.

My growing interest in running shoes thanks you for your commentary.

So basically what you're all saying is, I should definitely buy some 🤣 Saucony was one of the brands I was looking at and several people have mentioned them, so I might go that route. I'm wary of "unisex" shoes or I would be considering Asics as well, and Nike doesn't have my size in either Vaporfly or Alphafly, so... 🤑

There are DIFFERENT KINDS OF FOAM??

I see another rabbit hole coming up...
A little late to the party but I can share some personal experience with you. Haven’t gone to carbon yet, but went to the Saucony endorphin speed(nylon plate) with the first version, stuck with the second version, and am currently looking at the new v3. Absolutely love them on race day, they are lightweight yet cushioned, and are responsible for all my PRs. The first time I went out for five miles and could literally feel them helping propel me forward faster and easier.
I will say I had to go up 1/2 size to keep the toes comfortable.
I use them for race day and keep a pair with 150 miles or so of racing on them for any speed work days once I have a race on the calendar

I'm not an expert, but I would be very cautious about trying to "manually" alter your form on your own. As @GollyGadget said, you can easily go too far and injure yourself if you don't have a really good understanding of what you're doing. So I would be wary of using an external tool like a metronome to adjust your cadence.

That being said, you can improve your cadence without a metronome. I found running drills to be most effective for that. It's also helpful to think about taking short, quick steps. If you're doing speedwork or strides, try to increase the number of steps more than the length of your stride. Those two things took me from about 165 spm last spring to 180 now.

I've found mine pretty accurate since the 945. The older watches not as much if you weren't using a chest strap but the 945 and EPIX 2 are pretty close now.

I've found mine pretty accurate since the 945. The older watches not as much if you weren't using a chest strap but the 945 and EPIX 2 are pretty close now.

How would cadence be related to HR (I assume you mean a heart monitor chest strap)?

I would think that cadence would be quite accurate with almost any exercise device, especially when running. Yes, the accelerometer (that is, the watch) is on your arm, so maybe it's most affected by your arm, but as long as you're swinging your arm naturally with your running, then your arms and legs will have the same cadence.

When running, cadence is often the dominant rhythm just because that's what your whole body is moving for. That's one reason why wrist-measuring HR monitors have the "cadence locking" problem where they fail to measure your HR and instead lock on to the dominant pattern the watch is feeling: your cadence.

Now, if you're running while pushing a stroller or otherwise don't have your arms moving naturally, then I can see where the watch might have some problems. However, you're still thumping up and down in the cadence rhythm due to the running.

I would think that cadence would be quite accurate with almost any exercise device, especially when running. Yes, the accelerometer (that is, the watch) is on your arm, so maybe it's most affected by your arm, but as long as you're swinging your arm naturally with your running, then your arms and legs will have the same cadence.

Now, if you're running while pushing a stroller or otherwise don't have your arms moving naturally, then I can see where the watch might have some problems. However, you're still thumping up and down in the cadence rhythm due to the running.
Can confirm that when I push a stroller (or grocery cart) that my watch will sometimes not count my steps.

Can confirm that when I push a stroller (or grocery cart) that my watch will sometimes not count my steps.
When my mother broke her hip a couple years ago (she's doing well), I had the experience of pushing her in a wheel trail on a paved multi-use trail. If I walked slowly, apparently my motion was smooth enough to not have the steps counted. But if I pushed and walked briskly, then there was enough "bounce" in my body apparently that that the steps were registered. And that was a better workout! LOL

@azrivest and @The Expert you two are killing me! I found a pair of NB FC Elite v1's on a website in my size for $110. Anybody know if they are pretty much the same as the v2?
Forget what I said about not trying carbon plates again :cutie:
The shoes showed up, and, first, they are probably the ugliest running shoes I have ever owned, and I have been the proud wearer of dozens of pairs of Hokas, so I know ugly. But they are definitely springy and have that rocker quality to them! Maybe I'll try them in my next race, like if I get into the Broad Street 10 miler.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter