The Running Thread—2023

Awesome. I think they said they expect about 45,000 runners, there have to be some Galloway folks in there.
I've run Chicago twice and there were numerous people using walk/run method. No worries. Plus, miles 15-23 through Little Italy, Pilsen, Chinatown, etc, is an absolute party!! It's the perfect pick me up if you're struggling. It's such a great race. Have fun!

Has anyone ever purchased shoes from Relay? It looks like they buy surplus and customer returns and then sell them at discounted prices. I have my eye on a deal there, but not confident yet to complete the purchase.

Relay shoes are premium running shoes at affordable prices that have been previously returned either by stores or customers. We thoroughly inspect each shoe to determine whether it meets our standards and can go back into the market.

Every shoe is inspected to determine whether it can be resold. Shoes with obvious signs of use beyond just trying them on or taking them on one short run are not resold. Shoes must have 99% of their lifespan remaining to be sold on Relay.

Last edited:
Quick product review
Lovesoft women's yoga/cycling shorts. Why? Because I wanted a phone pocket on the side so that my running belt is freed up for the stupid large key fob and inhaler for long runs, and in the past I've had good luck with women's tights preventing chafing on my stout large, muscular thighs. Glide and such just don't cut it for longer runs, so I opt for a physical barrier. A pair of XL fit me and work great, but the 5" inseam just isn't quite long enough to prevent chafing. A pair with 7" inseam would be about perfect. I can report that I love having the side pocket and being able to access my phone without having to mess with my running belt; I just pull up the side of my running shorts to get to the pocket. Of late, I haven't had to wear the belt for my local training runs. Woo-hoo!

Oh, the running shorts: Mier men's training shorts with zippered pockets. I love the security of having the zippered pockets and have bought additional pairs for everyday wear, especially for going to events and not having to worry about loosing my wallet, keys, etc.

I also have some mens compression tights with a pocket on order and will see how they do. My problems with mens tights in the past has been that they either didn't hold everything in place well enough, or the shorts with the built in tights go down to my knees. No thanks.

I've mentioned that I've been fighting Morton's neuroma. I bought a pair of Hoka Clifton 9's and they are great! I put in 4.5 miles today (10:30/mile, thank you) on the neighborhood course with hills today. I could tell Morton was trying to make itself known, but did not. These shoes feel so soft, I may get buried in them. With the very thick soles, they look more like something the daughters might wear, but I will be getting a second pair to put into the running rotation.

Attachments

• Hokas.jpg
    Hokas.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 5
I've mentioned that I've been fighting Morton's neuroma. I bought a pair of Hoka Clifton 9's and they are great! I put in 4.5 miles today (10:30/mile, thank you) on the neighborhood course with hills today. I could tell Morton was trying to make itself known, but did not. These shoes feel so soft, I may get buried in them. With the very thick soles, they look more like something the daughters might wear, but I will be getting a second pair to put into the running rotation.
I loooove Hoka Cliftons! Going to buy a new pair this weekend. Glad you like them too.

Quick product review
Lovesoft women's yoga/cycling shorts. Why? Because I wanted a phone pocket on the side so that my running belt is freed up for the stupid large key fob and inhaler for long runs, and in the past I've had good luck with women's tights preventing chafing on my stout large, muscular thighs. Glide and such just don't cut it for longer runs, so I opt for a physical barrier. A pair of XL fit me and work great, but the 5" inseam just isn't quite long enough to prevent chafing. A pair with 7" inseam would be about perfect. I can report that I love having the side pocket and being able to access my phone without having to mess with my running belt; I just pull up the side of my running shorts to get to the pocket. Of late, I haven't had to wear the belt for my local training runs. Woo-hoo!

Oh, the running shorts: Mier men's training shorts with zippered pockets. I love the security of having the zippered pockets and have bought additional pairs for everyday wear, especially for going to events and not having to worry about loosing my wallet, keys, etc.

I also have some mens compression tights with a pocket on order and will see how they do. My problems with mens tights in the past has been that they either didn't hold everything in place well enough, or the shorts with the built in tights go down to my knees. No thanks.

If you are looking for more options in the tight game check out these from Janji or these from Roark. The Roak shorts are a combination tight and short. Both have a decent size phone pocket.

Does your keyfob have a physical key option? I have a Subaru and the keyfob has a physical key inside it that pulls out but others also have valet keys. I don't run with my fob and lock it in my glove box inside one of these bags so the proxy key is disabled. I have one of those for the key and a second for my phone since I only run with it if I'm on remote trails.

I have been thinking about trying to find some running shorts/tights with a phone pocket to use for MW. At home, I never run with my phone. But during MW, I have my phone each race so I can connect with my family afterward and also to capture some video during the run. I usually stash it in my running belt, and it really leaves no room for other things. I have never tried to run with a phone in phone pocket, but it seems like it would move up and down a lot banging against your thigh. That has what has kept me from picking up shorts/tights with the phone pocket.

I bought the Brooks Moment bike shorts to use under race costumes and my giant Samsung S23Ultra does not BUDGE in the side pocket! They make a 5-inch and 8-inch inseam, and I think they have capri and full tights as well. Highly recommend!

Last edited:
I have been thinking about trying to find some running shorts/tights with a phone pocket to use for MW. At home, I never run with my phone. But during MW, I have my phone each race so I can connect with my family afterward and also to capture some video during the run. I usually stash it in my running belt, and it really leaves no room for other things. I have never tried to run with a phone in phone pocket, but it seems like it would move up and down a lot banging against your thigh. That has what has kept me from picking up shorts/tights with the phone pocket.
I’ve put in multiple runs with the phone in the side pocket and no movement. I don’t even notice it now.
I’ll check out some of the other recommendations.

If you are looking for more options in the tight game check out these from Janji or these from Roark. The Roak shorts are a combination tight and short. Both have a decent size phone pocket.

Does your keyfob have a physical key option? I have a Subaru and the keyfob has a physical key inside it that pulls out but others also have valet keys. I don't run with my fob and lock it in my glove box inside one of these bags so the proxy key is disabled. I have one of those for the key and a second for my phone since I only run with it if I'm on remote trails.
Yeah, I thought about doing that, but didn’t want to go through that much each time

I *only* buy shorts and leggings with a pocket for my phone, and I've almost entirely quit wearing my older ones that don't have a pocket. This is especially true for disney races for the reason you named: there's not room for all the other "stuff" if I put my phone in my belt. I have an iphone pro 13 (in an otterbox) and it will sometimes pull the side of the waistband the phone is on down a bit when I'm running, but tightening the drawstring in the waist fixes that. And in all of my leggings and shorts it's held firmly against the outside of my thigh, so it's not really moving at all. The shorts I wear under my skirts don't have particularly deep pockets, and I would say the top 1/4 of my phone sticks out and I've yet to have it come anywhere near bouncing around.

Sugg Farm 40 Miler Race Report
One day I'll learn. Today was not that day.

When deciding whether to register for a race, I look at multiple factors that can be either positive (✅) or negative (❌) and weigh them carefully together to decide whether it's the right race for me. Today's race scored out as follows:

Is it a trail race? ❌
Is the course stupid hilly? ❌
Does the race require ultra-level training during the heat of summer? ❌
Are race day temps likely to be summer level heat/humidity? ❌
Is the race run 1/2 mile from my house? ✅

So, of course I registered.

Today's course consisted of 8 x 5-mile out and backs on trails starting at a local park, running down to and halfway around a lake and up the hill on the other side. There were significant hills throughout. I don't do training runs in that area because of those hills. The race started overcast at a T+D ~138 and it wasn't long before we were hearing thunder in the distance. About 90 minutes in, that thunder caught up to us in the form of heavy rain for about 30 minutes. Fortunately the lightning never seemed to get too close. After the rain passed, distant thunder was a constant companion.

The rain had absolutely soaked everything and I started having trouble with my shoes. My left insert wanted to roll up and bunch under my left foot. A change of socks helped a little, but it would continue to plague me throughout. In addition, parts of the hills were steep, bare dirt that quickly turned to slippery mud. Even dry, one in particular was steep enough to be hard to control my descent on.

I continued to make good progress as the course conditions deteriorated, but as I was completing my 4th out and back I developed a significant blister on the bottom of my right foot. I was questioning the wisdom of continuing as I fought with the mud on the hills that were getting increasingly slippery as race traffic churned them up. As I came out of the woods into the field where the start/finish line was located I could see vivid lightning strikes not so far in the distance. Between the blister, the deteriorating course conditions and another storm looming, I decided 21 miles was enough and took my DNF.

I had just enough time to get home before a deluge much worse than the earlier storm struck. We're under a flash flood warning as I write this, the NC State - Notre Dame game in Raleigh was delayed more then 2 hours by the weather, and with my October race being my priority, I think I made the right decision.

For anyone interested or scoring at home, here's the elevation profile from today's race. It's a total of 3,445 feet of elevation gain In the 21 miles that I completed. Thanks for reading!

2CB16E03-B542-44AA-874A-2C142BBCAD6B.jpeg

Last edited:

When deciding whether to register for a race, I look at multiple factors that can be either positive (✅) or negative (❌) and weigh them carefully together to decide whether it's the right race for me. Today's race scored out as follows:

Is it a trail race? ❌

Today's course consisted of 8 x 5-mile out and backs on trails starting at a local park, running down to and halfway around a lake and up the hill on the other side. There were significant hills throughout. I don't do training runs in that area because of those hills. The race started overcast at a T+D ~138 and it wasn't long before we were hearing thunder in the distance. About 90 minutes in, that thunder caught up to us in the form of heavy rain for about 30 minutes. Fortunately the lightning never seemed to get too close. After the rain passed, distant thunder was a constant companion.

The rain had absolutely soaked everything and I started having trouble with my shoes. My left insert wanted to roll up and bunch under my left foot. A change of socks helped a little, but it would continue to plague me throughout. In addition, parts of the hills were steep, bare dirt that quickly turned to slippery mud. Even dry, one in particular was steep enough to be hard to control my descent on.

I continued to make good progress as the course conditions deteriorated, but as I was completing my 4th out and back I developed a significant blister on the bottom of my right foot. I was questioning the wisdom of continuing as I fought with the mud on the hills that were getting increasingly slippery as race traffic churned them up. As I came out of the woods into the field where the start/finish line was located I could see vivid lightning strikes not so far in the distance. Between the blister, the deteriorating course conditions and another storm looming, I decided 21 miles was enough and took my DNF.

I had just enough time to get home before a deluge much worse than the earlier storm struck. We're under a flash flood warning as I write this, the NC State - Notre Dame game in Raleigh was delayed more then 2 hours by the weather, and with my October race being my priority, I think I made the right decision.

For anyone interested or scoring at home, here's the elevation profile from today's race. It's a total of 3,445 feet of elevation gain. Thanks for reading!

View attachment 792436
Dude, you are a better man than I am for registering in the first place, and then, forgetting even 21 miles into it given the conditions. And I am sitting here in the middle of Atlanta also in a two hour rain and thunderstorm delay.

Hoka Clifton folks....

How are your shoes wearing? My last two pairs (v8 and V9) barely made 50 miles before the soles showed significant wear and I had to replace them at around 150 miles. My Hoka trail shoes last 300+.

Yes, I know, different running surfaces but still disappointed. The only saving grace is that I run almost all my miles on the trails so 150 pavement miles in my Cliftons is over a year.

Is it a trail race? ❌

For anyone interested or scoring at home, here's the elevation profile from today's race. It's a total of 3,445 feet of elevation gain. Thanks for reading!

View attachment 792436
Congratulations on another learning experience and bravo on the 21 miles 😊

Hoka Clifton folks....

How are your shoes wearing? My last two pairs (v8 and V9) barely made 50 miles before the soles showed significant wear and I had to replace them at around 150 miles. My Hoka trail shoes last 300+.

Yes, I know, different running surfaces but still disappointed. The only saving grace is that I run almost all my miles on the trails so 150 pavement miles in my Cliftons is over a year.
I like the shoes as I said but yeah I never get more than 200 miles out of them. I never get more than 200 miles out of any of my shoes no matter the make though. Blame it on my wonky mechanics I guess.

I also have switched bike style shorts with a pocket on each side. Not designed specifically as a "phone pocket", but my phone does fit and doesn't bounce around (iPhone 14 pro with a case). It does get a little damp sometimes on hot runs though. I've had nutrition fall out when I've had my phone in a belt so I try not to go that route.

I also wear bike shorts with pockets on both sides. I've never had any problem with my phone or anything else bouncing. Usually I have my phone, keys, and airpod case in the pockets, and sometimes my sunglasses. I have multiple brands, but my favorites are Cadmus on Amazon and Crowned Athletics, which has an extra zippered key pocket. (They are super expensive but I love the Captain Marvel shorts I just got.) I really want to try the Janji Pace shorts since they have four pockets which will be perfect for races. (I have a belt but don't really like it. My water bottle has a pouch I can stuff things in, too.)

Hoka Clifton folks....

How are your shoes wearing?
Love my Cliftons, but my experience has always been the same as yours. Unlike most shoes that I set to swap out at 300-350 miles given I'm injury prone and don't want to risk it, I'm lucky on my Cliftons to get to 250.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter