• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The return of annual passes

Do you think that the up to %20 off merch and dining will apply to what level pass you have? Pixie is 10%off and the Incredi pass being 20%?

So...only one option for OOS and it's more $$$ and takes away PhotoPass? Going to dig into the details a little more before I poop all over it, but I assume I'm going to poop all over it after I have all the details.

They're actually quite stringent on this. You have to have a government-issued ID in order to qualify.

Right, so 20% off Victoria and Albert's on April 1, which nobody takes advantage of because they think it's an elaborate April Fool's Day prank.
We are residents of Pa. however we own a house in Tarpon Springs. We show the insurance and deed to our home and are able to receive the Florida tickets without issue.

How does it work if you have a resort only reservation and only one person in the room (the reservee) has an AP when it comes to DDP? In the past, we'd do the room only reservations, but we all had APs, so could add DDP if we wanted. What if the room has a mix of AP and Tickets? I know this might change going forward - but does anyone have experience with how it worked in the past?

So I just did some rough math and my cost will almost double from last year. My husband and my self have the Gold annual Pass. The renewal rate was $611*2=$1222. At this price I had unlimited photo pass and fast pass included. Under the new system my renewal cost will be $764*2=$1528, then add on genie+ $15*2= $30/day we average 30 days in the park so $30*30=$900, then add $99 for memory maker my grand total is now $2,518 and I still have less than I did last year because I still don't have lightning lane access to the top 2 attractions at each park. I am just not seeing the value for my dollar anymore.

So I calculated out - I was paying $611 to renew my Gold Pass (DVC Member). It is now $764 per person, plus I have to add $99 to the price for Photo Pass (we take a ton of photos usually). $712 more per year for my family of 4 with the Photo Pass addon.

We go to the parks roughly 14 days a year as DVC Members, if we opted to purchase Genie+ every day, which is $840 more per year. Disney just increased our vacations by $1552 per year.

On the positive side of this announcement, the Disney Sorcerer Pass no longer blacks out Spring Break, but it adds Thanksgiving to the blackouts (Christmas has always been a blackout), and you get 5 Park Passes at a time, meaning maybe we could stay offsite sometimes if we don't have enough DVC points. They also mention up to 20% discount on Dining and Merchandise. Previously most dining discounts were only 10% - so if they standardize on 20% dining discounts - then the price increase would probably be worth it, since I'd save more than that in dining discounts - essentially it'd replace the Tables in Wonderland offering. But since it says up to 20%, it might just be only 1 or 2 restaurants offer 20% off.

I've never seen the value of the photo pass. If one digital photo is purchased all the rest show up. Without purchase the photos can be hooked to your MDE by tapping you band (and maybe your cell now) but then they have the photo pass logo over them until purchased.

The more I think about it ... paying more always stinks, but not as much as Genie+ in my opinion. Included PhotoPass was a great option that didn't really cost Disney that much money. But a $99 option for Photo Pass all year isn't that bad, we often have over 400 pictures on a 7 day trip, so we'll definitely pay to add it onto 1 pass. You only need to add it onto 1 person's AP, not your entire family too. It is too bad they didn't also announce a Genie+ option for AP holders, that would have made all of these changes easier to swallow. As it stands though, it is still adding over $1500 more to my vacation if I stay 14 days (we normally do 2x 7 day trips a year to WDW as we're DVC members).

No Platinum discount for Florida Residents and DVC members is tough too, that is a huge increase if you got that discount and still want or need the Platinum Pass.

So if I’m not mistaken, the price for the Gold Pass (which maps to the Sorcerer pass) went from $716 to $899 and they took away photo pass. Photo pass is now a $99 add-on. So I have to pay $1,000 for something I used to get for $716? Is that correct?
Ayup and Ka-Ching!

So I’m not pleased as a silver pass holder and a teacher. We always went on the weekends and skipped summer. I saw that you don’t have to upgrade until it’s time to renew.
My silver I can renew now. Does that mean I can lock it in for another year? My daughter’s pass is up for renewal in Feb. I wonder if I still have access to the weekends. I’m wondering if I should renew my silver ASAP. Anyone else?

The more I think about it ... paying more always stinks, but not as much as Genie+ in my opinion. Included PhotoPass was a great option that didn't really cost Disney that much money. But a $99 option for Photo Pass all year isn't that bad, we often have over 400 pictures on a 7 day trip, so we'll definitely pay to add it onto 1 pass. You only need to add it onto 1 person's AP, not your entire family too. It is too bad they didn't also announce a Genie+ option for AP holders, that would have made all of these changes easier to swallow. As it stands though, it is still adding over $1500 more to my vacation if I stay 14 days (we normally do 2x 7 day trips a year to WDW as we're DVC members).

No Platinum discount for Florida Residents and DVC members is tough too, that is a huge increase if you got that discount and still want or need the Platinum Pass.

Is it $99 for the length of the AP, or for each trip? If it's the former, then it's not that bad spread out over 2 or 3 trips.

Is it $99 for the length of the AP, or for each trip? If it's the former, then it's not that bad spread out over 2 or 3 trips.

$99 for the year, so you only pay once. It actually says:

"Disney PhotoPass Downloads*****

Capture every magical moment with unlimited Disney PhotoPass downloads for just $99 plus tax for the year—or even less when renewing your pass."

So it might be less than $99 when you renew.

Last edited:
I used to have gold pass and I think I may opt for pirate or pixie as a trial. I'm willing to give it a try and if the magic is gone then I will be switching over to UO. Charging more for less is ridiculous.

I don't know if someone already answered this but: What happens to existing Passholders? Are we converted to the new stuff or keep what we have until we have to renew?
That’s what I’m trying to figure out because I can renew now as a silver. 🤔🤔🤔

That’s what I’m trying to figure out because I can renew now as a silver. 🤔🤔🤔

In the FAQ on the Existing Passholders site: https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/p...ve-passholders/?CMP=ILC-DPFY21Q4wo0826210049A

I am a current Annual Passholder within my renewal window. Will the updates to Annual Pass types affect my renewal?
Answer

If you are currently within your renewal window, you may choose to renew into one of the current Annual Pass options through September 7, 2021. On September 8, 2021, if you are within your renewal window, you will be able to select from the new passes at the time you wish to renew.

Also - your existing pass won't change except for giving you additional Park Passes starting on 9/8/21.

Someone just texted me link that seems to indicate annual prices will have limited number available for sale (not sure I can say name of other blog here). Has anyone heard anything similar to this as part of any announcement?

In the FAQ on the Existing Passholders site: https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/p...ve-passholders/?CMP=ILC-DPFY21Q4wo0826210049A

I am a current Annual Passholder within my renewal window. Will the updates to Annual Pass types affect my renewal?
Answer

If you are currently within your renewal window, you may choose to renew into one of the current Annual Pass options through September 7, 2021. On September 8, 2021, if you are within your renewal window, you will be able to select from the new passes at the time you wish to renew.

Also - your existing pass won't change except for giving you additional Park Passes starting on 9/8/21.

I’ll definitely renew before September 7th then. Luckily my daughter is good till February and I can decide then what will be the best move for us.

I was a silver and I’m a teacher. The new changes definitely impact me in a negative way. Especially losing weekends in October. I don’t really want to upgrade to the most expensive pass. I’ll be priced out for sure. Thank for the link! Much appreciated

This is absolute garbage... I can't believe how much they've raised the prices and taken away any discount for Florida residents. And they took away photo pass? The cheapest option as an in state resident is now more expensive than the first out of state Platinum pass I bought 7 years ago.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter