• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The return of annual passes

As an out of state guest I had originally considered upgrading but this doesn't make sense anymore. This pass is more than my entire vacation package was. I wanted to be optimistic but now I have lost a lot of faith in Disney.

If I ever return after my upcoming trip I will have to plan it very differently. 😥

We’re DVC and I think we’ll end up buying the Sorcerer pass only for this coming set of two trips because we’re going twice in a calendar year. At the end of the day, paying $899/person for two weeks at Disney saves a lot of money.

But otherwise I agree — the value proposition is just not there.

I am very surprised that they are only making the most expensive pass available to non-FL/DVC. Had that ever been the case before? We’ve never been AP holders, so we’re not super familiar with how it used to work.

So if I’m not mistaken, the price for the Gold Pass (which maps to the Sorcerer pass) went from $716 to $899 and they took away photo pass. Photo pass is now a $99 add-on. So I have to pay $1,000 for something I used to get for $716? Is that correct?
Yup. And you have the added benefit hassle of needing park reservations, and park hopping is still limited to after 2pm. I'm hoping that there is still a DVC discount as that's often not shown on the main pass page, but I'm still disappointed.

We’re DVC and I think we’ll end up buying the Sorcerer pass only for this coming set of two trips because we’re going twice in a calendar year. At the end of the day, paying $899/person for two weeks at Disney saves a lot of money.

I am very surprised that they are only making the most expensive pass available to non-FL/DVC. Had that ever been the case before? We’ve never been AP holders, so we’re not super familiar with how it used to work.

Pretty sure we out of staters always had just one choice for APs, unless you wanted to add on the Water Park option. That's not new.

Yup. And you have the added benefit hassle of needing park reservations, and park hopping is still limited to after 2pm. I'm hoping that there is still a DVC discount as that's often not shown on the main pass page, but I'm still disappointed.

Ugh. I was really trying to be positive about all these changes, but being asked to pay so much more for this pass and not getting PhotoPass included is just really irking me. Like I said, we’ll still buy it since it’s a major discount on tickets, but the price gouging is getting crazy.

The price of the Incredi-Pass isn’t too surprising. Losing Memory Maker is a bummer, but honestly I never used it aside from ride photos, so I won’t miss it.

Breakeven calculation remains the same. Basically, it will take three trips of at least four days each in 12 months to pay for itself on its face. Add in the discounts, and you will come out ahead, especially if you are able to catch an AP resort discount.

Now Disney, pretty please announce the return of Tables in Wonderland! And maybe some resort discounts for winter! Then this piece will be complete.

I was seriously considering booking a trip early 2022 which would have made a pass of value, but now I think I will just sit and wait. If I go back to Orlando I think I will look into all the other attractions in the area. Never been to Universal but it's looking better and better. Not because of any preconceived value but because I feel they have been a little more up front with things as a company.

The only pass available for anyone not in Florida or DVC appears to be the Incredi-Pass. All others say specifically for Florida residents and DVC members.

That sucks.

The only option ever for non-residents was the pass that did include water parks and the one that didn't as I recall. We never got a reduced option with blockout dates.

Non-residents never got an option for anything but water parks or no water parks. We always had the most expensive prices.

I just got a survey this past Wednesday about how I perceived the value of my annual pass with a ton of different questions about what I liked and what needed improvement. I'm annoyed now that I spent the time filling that out when they were about to announce this just five days later, meaning there's no way the response data was even considered in developing the new options.

We just came back from our trip yesterday and I had been hoping these would be released before we returned so I could get annual passes for my husband and kiddos. Now I don't mind that they weren't because it would have been a difficult decision. I am not sure it would have been worth it to purchase a new pass for them. I love being an annual passholder but I also loved that it included memory maker. It's sad that it is an add on. This may be my last year with an annual pass. I am glad I renewed before they changed though. It's funny the DVC annual pass now doesn't exclude Easter Week. I wonder why that it is. I thought that was supposed to be the second busiest week at the park after Christmas week.

Wondering the same thing. Hoping that means I'll have one more year of MM, and they won't be taking away some of my park reservations for my next trip since it's more than 5 days.

It will be interesting to see how they handle it. I have a voucher bought several years ago that I have yet to redeem. It's saving me a fortune when I finally do activate it, but I paid for MM so and it should still be included.

Are they going to allow unlimited days for those with a resort stay? I know they aren't at DLR, but thought I had read they were at WDW?
Edited to add: It does look like resort stays can book for their length of stay in addition to the 5 advance days.

Last edited:
Ugh. I was really trying to be positive about all these changes, but being asked to pay so much more for this pass and not getting PhotoPass included is just really irking me. Like I said, we’ll still buy it since it’s a major discount on tickets, but the price gouging is getting crazy.

The only plus is that you do not have to add Photopass to everyone in the family. So, that $99 is just once per year and it does indicate it will be a little less if you renew

This is what I will do…add to mine..but not to any of my adult children and their families.

It is more, but not as bad as I figured it would be.

Pretty sure we out of staters always had just one choice for APs, unless you wanted to add on the Water Park option. That's not new.
That was my understanding. I currently have a platinum pass, which expires at the end of November. According to the information I received, it would be $1104 to renew the pass, which I assume doesn't include tax, plus I'd have to pay for memory maker. I assume tax isn't included in the quoted amount. The old renewal price was just over $1000, if I recall correctly, and that amount included memory maker and tax. Renewing my pass, assuming I pay extra for MM, would now cost around $1280.

I'll be interested to see if Universal comes out with a sweet Annual Passholder deal to snap up all the angry Disney fans that are looking to jump ship...
I hope so. We are taking a break from Disney this year and visiting Universal in Oct. Buying annual passes for Universal has definitely been discussed.

I have a question. It says we can add water park and more for $99. I click on the details and am I reading it wrong? Is it stating that I can only go to a water park 1 time? I am confused because a regular 1 day ticket is $69. Any ideas?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter