The remarkable staying power of the DISboard

This post definitely has me reflecting on how special these boards really are. It was my only form of social media until 2020 when I felt I finally had to join Facebook for the most updated college info during the pandemic. I used these boards to plan our first family trip in 2005 with a 3 year old and 19 month old. I was a long time lurker and finally joined in 2010. I used to listen to the podcasts on an actual iPod every week during the kids naps while I cleaned the house and later when I spent countless hours driving the kids to all of their activities. We have had so many wonderful trips because of the info on these boards! A double dip cruise? Who knew? Universal and even Williamsburg along with a few other non Disney trips I learned about here. When not planning a trip, I have been on the community board where I’ve gotten so much parenting advice and college planning advice. I’ve spent too much money from the amazing recommendations for park gear and other good deals on the budget board. I’ve survived the high school years on the Class of 2020 and 2021 parent threads. Which reminds me that I need to find the one for 2024! My kids will even ask “what do they think on the Dis” if we need info on something lol. I don’t post a ton mainly because I’m usually reading in bed when I can’t sleep and my phone is too small for these eyes but you all have truly been a wealth of knowledge for everything from bathroom remodels to of course Disney trips and I value all of you and the support and information that you all have provided over the last 16 years!! And of course a special shout out to the Dis and moderators for keeping it going!!

My account says August 1999, but I think that might be a default date after a crash or something happened to the site! Pretty sure I've been here, mostly lurking, since the beginning. :)

I apparently joined in 2002 but didnt really start using the boards until our first trip in 2006. I dont post often, but this is the only board/forum that is still around from the ones that I used back then. I check in a few times a week (mostly the community board as I dont need a lot of planning help anymore!) and refer people planning trips to the dis often. It really is a great community!

First found the Dis and joined in 2001. Posted a bit then didn’t for a couple years. Came back in 2004 and got in trouble on a political thread and took some more time off. Reincarnated as The Mayor in 2006😇

I came here 2 months after you. I was put put on bed rest in May 1999 for my pregnancy and I suddenly had plenty of time to explore the internet. My daughter just graduated from college!

View attachment 602861
Great picture, Robin. Congratulations and best wishes to her in the future, wherever it takes her. Congratulations to you also.

I remember seeing her along with you out at DL maybe 18 years ago. Is she still swimming? Time flies way too fast!!

You're only a few months ahead of me, Dan. I like to think of us as "Oldies but Goodies!"
I do feel like an oldie most days, leebee, haha.
posts/replies are a fraction of what they used to be. There is a website somewhere that tracks web traffic on specific sites, love to see the actual numbers. Just a few of us hardheads still here.
Years back, it used to be about 7 pages a day, now about 2.
I also remember that I was really nervous the first times I posted on the Community Board. :eek::lmao:
I remember you posting then also, MJ. :surfweb:
I’m glad I made my way back
Glad you did too, Sandy. Really enjoy your polls every morning.

I joined in 2000, planning a 2001 trip. There was really only one time when things got pretty nasty for a while, but that group eventually found another home and we moved forward in peace. I love the DIS! Can't believe it's been a bit "home" for over 20 years.

The DIS changed our vacations! We have gotten so much information here that Disney doesn't give out! It's also great talking to people who love it like we do. My kids were babies when I found it. Now one lives in Orlando because of Disney, and we are planning on moving there as soon as our youngest graduates college.

I joined in March, 2010. I don't post much and I don't believe I've ever actually started a thread (how lame is that?), but I enjoy reading others' posts and I've learned so much from the DIS. It was a wonderful resource when I planned our family vacations, from money saving tips, to fast pass tips and restaurant recommendations.

I've enjoyed the comararderie I've found amongst fellow posters. This site is a real treasure and I'm grateful for the the hard work our Webmasters do.

I've been around since the beginning in one name or another. I remember when Pete would personally answer virtually every question and you had to click on each response in a thread to read it. I guess all bulletin boards were like that back then but Pete's was the only one I ever joined. I was doing research for our first trip to disney and it was so much better than it would have been if it weren't for Pete and all his info.

I found the dis a few weeks before our 2008 trip. We had been in 2003 but my XH went every year as a kid. When I found the site I didn’t register at first but I read a lot. I found out WDW had TS and character means! I also found out all about on-site, the bubble, etc. So I went ahead and booked CP, TH and GG and researched park strategies.

I officially joined after we came back and I was set on doing an on-site, DDP all out trip for 2009. I had been on baby boards before and thought a disney board has to be mild and tame and all happy vibes because it’s Disney. Well I was wrong. I saw arguments about resorts, transportation, dining, DDP, FP, FP+, etc. You know, the usual. Lol

But it’s a very useful sight for planning trips.

I joined the DIS in March 2001, as I was planning my first WDW trip after becoming a DVC owner in 2000. These boards have been a great source of information and entertainment over the years. Like many of you, I've been around long enough to remember Richyams' legendary and hilarious posts, the debate board (wild at times!), tags, and differences in the appearance of the boards. As someone else mentioned previously, the staying power of the DIS has a lot to do with the excellent job done by the moderators. Overall, the boards are a pretty friendly place. :-)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter