• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

"The Real O'Neals" has ruined Disney for me

Greg K.

Happy DVC Member, DIS Vet, and Catholic Deacon
I'm not sure if this topic has been discussed earlier or elsewhere, but I just have to get this off my chest.

It's ABC's new series, "The Real O'Neals." ABC just announced it's picking up the series for the fall. The official trailer / preview is below.

I'm hardly a reactionary. I've ignored or looked the other way when everyone else has screamed "Boycott!" over Gay Days or crummy Miramax movies that offended people's values.

I'm also a longtime Disney fan and loyal DVC member. I've spent tens of thousands of dollars on Disney vacations that have given me and family joy and memories that will last a lifetime. There's nothing I like more than dreaming about our next vacation and planning our next trip.

But now...I'm speechless.

I'm an ordained member of the Catholic clergy. I take my faith very seriously. I don't expect everyone else to share my values or my beliefs.

But neither do I expect that a company like Disney would endorse a program that so aggressively and hatefully attacks those values and beliefs.

Satire is one thing.

But outright mockery is something else.

I hate to say it, but I know they would never endorse a program like this assaulting the beliefs of Jews or Muslims. It saddens me beyond words to see this and to think that people like Robert Iger and his staff think this is acceptable.

I'm not prudish or naive. I worked in network television for nearly three decades, and I know it's a business like any other. I'm a realist. Being "edgy" and outrageous is often lucrative.

But really? This is just indefensible.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if this topic has been discussed earlier or elsewhere, but I just have to get this off my chest.

It's ABC's new series, "The Real O'Neals." ABC just announced it's picking up the series for the fall. The official trailer / preview is below.

I'm hardly a reactionary. I've ignored or looked the other way when everyone else has screamed "Boycott!" over Gay Days or crummy Miramax movies that offended people's values.

I'm also a longtime Disney fan and loyal DVC member. I've spent tens of thousands of dollars on Disney vacations that have given me and family joy and memories that will last a lifetime. There's nothing I like more than dreaming about our next vacation and planning our next trip.

But now...I'm speechless.

I'm an ordained member of the Catholic clergy. I take my faith very seriously. I don't expect everyone else to share my values or my beliefs.

But neither do I expect that a company like Disney would endorse a program that so aggressively and hatefully attacks those values and beliefs.

Satire is one thing.

But outright mockery is something else.

I hate to say it, but I know they would never endorse a program like this assaulting the beliefs of Jews or Muslims. It saddens me beyond words to see this and to think that people like Robert Iger and his staff think this is acceptable.

I'm not prudish or naive. I worked in network television for nearly three decades, and I know it's a business like any other. I'm a realist. Being "edgy" and outrageous is often lucrative.

But really? This is just indefensible.
I saw the preview the other day and quite honestly it looked really dumb!!!!! and it did not make me crack a smile nor a giggle
bad chose ABC!

I just don't understand why the need to add in all the religious under tones. I would thinking the scene with the young kid and the condoms could be funny without the priest down stairs.....also the scene where they are all saying their problems and everyone over hears, that could be funny why does it need to be at a church event?

I don't know why people think adding religious jokes make stuff funnier?

I'm gonna ask what parts specifically were offensive, as I was not offended by the trailer. In all seriousness, enlighten me.

Look at it this Greg, it'll probably only air a time or two before it gets cancelled.

I'm gonna ask what parts specifically were offensive, as I was not offended by the trailer. In all seriousness, enlighten me.

The priest was a hypocrite, the half-Jewish neighbor was a slut, they kept a statue of the Virgin Mary in the bathroom (so the men would remember to put down the seat?), and the idea of religious fasting was turned into a joke, so that Jesus could do magic tricks and eat whatever he wanted. Every character was obsessed with whatever was happening below the waistline, and there were no redeeming qualities in anyone. Every character was a deluded, lying, superficial stereotype. And it was all cloaked under the veil of "This is just another typical Catholic family." Liars, whores, hypocrites and fools.

Can you imagine a sitcom like that about Jews, Muslims, Buddhists or Native Americans? Satire is one thing. Anti-religious bigotry, something else.

The priest was a hypocrite, the half-Jewish neighbor was a slut, they kept a statue of the Virgin Mary in the bathroom (so the men would remember to put down the seat?), and the idea of religious fasting was turned into a joke, so that Jesus could do magic tricks and eat whatever he wanted. Every character was obsessed with whatever was happening below the waistline, and there were no redeeming qualities in anyone. Every character was a deluded, lying, superficial stereotype. And it was all cloaked under the veil of "This is just another typical Catholic family." Liars, whores, hypocrites and fools.

Can you imagine a sitcom like that about Jews, Muslims, Buddhists or Native Americans? Satire is one thing. Anti-religious bigotry, something else.

Thank you for replying! When you lay it out like that, I can see why it was offensive.
I would disagree with you on some interpretations (for example, sex only seemed to be a problem for the middle son and his girl friend. I didn't catch where anyone may have been having sex issues/a nymphomaniac. Also, how does a teenage girl wishing to have sex with her boyfriend make her a slut? Do we have different definitions for this word?), but entertainment is subject to opinion. I am inclined to say more, but you seem firm on your stance.

To be truthful, I would welcome more satire on other people and belief systems. I see it as a fantastic way to learn. For example, the university I work for hosted a production of a one woman show where she performed issues that Pakistani-Muslim women face within their own cultural group and families and how other non-Pakistani people see them. There were moments that made me laugh, there were moments that made me cry. I'm being really presumptuous, but in case you're interested, this is an article about the woman and show: http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052702304203304576446681774039142. I recommend just jumping in and watching her performance if you can though. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter