• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Pro-Genie App discussion thread - speculate how the app could make your trip next trip great!

So this is a bit confusing. Are they selling a daily FP, where you can get one at a time, for $15 extra a day? But then some of the top tier rides are not included and then you will have to pay per ride for those? Is that what I am understanding? So no free FP anymore?
yep

I hate change 😔
So if staying at a Disney resort, you get three Disney fast passes?
I thought I read for $15 per day per person you get two -2 tier fp and if you want a tier 1 fast pass, it’s extra based on when you go. Am I correct so far?
So what’s with the three free wishes?
I am very detail oriented and have made note cards for the past decade coming to Disney so I need to know how to use this thing! Any help with basic terminology would be great lol

I hate change 😔
So if staying at a Disney resort, you get three Disney fast passes?
I thought I read for $15 per day per person you get two -2 tier fp and if you want a tier 1 fast pass, it’s extra based on when you go. Am I correct so far?
So what’s with the three free wishes?
I am very detail oriented and have made note cards for the past decade coming to Disney so I need to know how to use this thing! Any help with basic terminology would be great lol

You're not exactly right on the details.

Genie is a free service that will help create an itinerary using only Standby Queues. It will optimize based on your desired attractions and wait times.
Genie+ is the $15 per day option that will enable you to use Lightning Lane queues (nee FastPass) at attractions throughout the day. You can select one at a time and once one is used you gan get another. There is not a limit other than how you manage this time. Some high demand attractions (Tier 1) will only offer access to the Lightning Lane for an additional charge...
Individual Attraction Selection (IAS is one acronym we are using though also LL$) is an attraction that you have selected to pay extra for.

There really aren't three free wishes or anything that I have seen. The "wishes" are more like wanting certain attractions in your itinerary.

Hope that helps.

I believe that's what they mean, but Disney has not said anything about specific pricing. Any number being thrown out is just rumor. For all we know, it could be much more.
I think they haven't said what the prices will be is cause it will constantly changing by day. Busier days will be more expensive

Is there an answer for this yet?
At 7:00am, I can choose 1 ride (with Genie+) but if I also want two extra fee rides, can I buy/schedule both at the same time - basically walking through the gate with 3 scheduled rides?

also, it seems you can use your Genie+ across all 4 parks - so if you buy it for one day you can use it while park hopping?

I’m also hoping we can select a time and not just have to take what’s available.

I think they haven't said what the prices will be is cause it will constantly changing by day. Busier days will be more expensive

I agree, but I think we'll see some kind of seasonal pricing rather than a day by day or minute by minute pricing structure. I think they're just putting the news out bits at a time to get people adjusted to the idea. Why hit them all at once?

I agree, but I think we'll see some kind of seasonal pricing rather than a day by day or minute by minute pricing structure. I think they're just putting the news out bits at a time to get people adjusted to the idea. Why hit them all at once?

They may price it by the day, but I doubt we'll see price fluctuations throughout the day like you might see surge pricing on a rideshare app. I doubt Disney's IT infrastructure is even up for that. The price will more likely be predetermined based on projections.

How will they determine if you're staying at a Disney Resort? By checking your phone's proximity/IP or will you need to have a resort reservation linked in MDE?

Not going to lie...I am really excited about this news. BUT I am coming for the first time in 12 years during Christmas time (can't come any other time), with my husband who has never been and a first visit for our newborn twins. I've saved money for a long time and I was looking at historic wait times on that busy week, 60 minutes for even basic rides. I was worried we would have a terrible experience and not be able to ride some of my favorites from when I was a kid, or the new big ticket rides like RoTR or FOP. I'm okay paying money since this is our big splurge, and I think that is what disney is aiming for. The "big splurge" guests who visit once or twice a year, or maybe even more. My pocket book is open so this can be the best it can be lol.

And it's nice to not have to book 60 days in advance, although I like planning wasn't that annoying for people who didn't plan that far in advance or for AP? I feel for those who go more often and get how it would be annoying. I'm just looking forward to this trip and want to do as much as possible. I'll gladly pay money to skip the lines if we can have a great trip and feel like we accomplished a lot. I remember paper fast passes as a kid and running like crazy all over the park to get our 3, I liked it that way.

I think the biggest advantage of this system will be its simplicity. People have been complaining for years about the need to plan and book FPS 60 days out. now they don't have to. You go to the park, get in a virtual line, go wait in another one and that's all there is to it. No arranging of schedules or any of that. You go one from one ride to the next, and if there's a headliner you really gotta ride faster, you pay for it. I don't know how much simpler anything can get than what they've created.

I don't know if it's better, but it's certainly easier.

I think the biggest advantage of this system will be its simplicity. People have been complaining for years about the need to plan and book FPS 60 days out. now they don't have to. You go to the park, get in a virtual line, go wait in another one and that's all there is to it. No arranging of schedules or any of that. You go one from one ride to the next, and if there's a headliner you really gotta ride faster, you pay for it. I don't know how much simpler anything can get than what they've created.

I don't know if it's better, but it's certainly easier.

I would rather have a stressful morning 60 days before my vacation, than a stressful vacation. I guess others disagree, but I honestly don’t understand why.

The big question will be how many lightning lanes will the $15 get you? If you only get 3 in a day you are paying $5 per ride.

I would rather have a stressful morning 60 days before my vacation, than a stressful vacation. I guess others disagree, but I honestly don’t understand why.

I'm not in love with the new system and don't think we'll use it for every park, but I am hopeful that it might not be quite as stressful as the rush for fastpasses at 60 days. The trip we've planned and replanned for the past year and a half was our first FP+ trip, and only 4-5 days long. So, eons ago, when our Fastpass morning came up, times were already gone for most of the big rides, and very picked over for most rides. Now alllllllll of those slots will be available, and the one at a time stipulation should mean that they'll last for a while.

I am a bit worried that rope drop will be an absolute madhouse for headliners and the end of day strategy might not be as effective as before. But there might be enough people willing to pay extra for the headliners rather than take part in the crush to help out with mornings?

The big question will be how many lightning lanes will the $15 get you? If you only get 3 in a day you are paying $5 per ride.
These are my thoughts exactly! There are no guarantees that you will get more than 1 for your $15 and that is for a tier 2 attraction at a time that Genie+ chooses. Even if you get 2, that's $7.50 to skip the line at the likes of Dumbo or the teacups. If you're a gambler, you might be hoping for a big payout of 6 or 7 passes, but in all likelihood you're probably looking at 3 or 4 maximum. $3.75-$5.00 extra per ride to skip the line at a B-ticket attraction.

These are my thoughts exactly! There are no guarantees that you will get more than 1 for your $15 and that is for a tier 2 attraction at a time that Genie+ chooses. Even if you get 2, that's $7.50 to skip the line at the likes of Dumbo or the teacups. If you're a gambler, you might be hoping for a big payout of 6 or 7 passes, but in all likelihood you're probably looking at 3 or 4 maximum. $3.75-$5.00 extra per ride to skip the line at a B-ticket attraction.
That was the same with FP+ after the first 3 you scheduled or if you didn't schedule at all, you had to wait and see what is available. It is 1 per hour, so that would technically 10-15 on a day, depending on opening hours.

Do we have a lot of reason to assume that availability will be a lot less than with FP+?

They said for WDW it will be over 40 Genie+ rides, didn't they? And 10 in the additional ride-pool.

That was the same with FP+ after the first 3 you scheduled or if you didn't schedule at all, you had to wait and see what is available. It is 1 per hour, so that would technically 10-15 on a day, depending on opening hours.

Do we have a lot of reason to assume that availability will be a lot less than with FP+?

They said for WDW it will be over 40 Genie+ rides, didn't they? And 10 in the additional ride-pool.
If Disney keeps availability low in order to keep standby lines to a reasonable length, then it's entirely possible that the number of G+ slots will be less than FP+. Do we know this for a fact? No. But on a good day, without the initial 3 FP+ that were prescheduled, how many FP+s did people acquire? And how many fewer passes will be available given the abbreviated park hours that Disney now offers compared to 2018 or 2019?

If Disney keeps availability low in order to keep standby lines to a reasonable length, then it's entirely possible that the number of G+ slots will be less than FP+. Do we know this for a fact? No. But on a good day, without the initial 3 FP+ that were prescheduled, how many FP+s did people acquire? And how many fewer passes will be available given the abbreviated park hours that Disney now offers compared to 2018 or 2019?
The only time I really ever did the "refresh" method multiple times in a park day was during Easter one day at MK and it was a day the park was pretty slammed with people. I had no issue getting any FP+ (almost immediately) for rides like dumbo, goofy coaster, IASW, under the sea, etc. I also had no issue getting a FP+ within a couple hours for rides with longer waits like buzz, POC, etc. If I wanted to ride something like splash, space, etc, they were still available but if I was looking early afternoon I would be waiting until evening.

Personally I think genie+ is going to work very similarly to maxpass, since they already have that data. I'm hoping touring plans is going to figure out how to best use it before my trip (lol). Overall I'm really meh on the whole thing but I feel like getting the non-headliners may be a better experience than FP+ and getting the headliners will be worse since your only options are standby or pay extra (for just two of them a day).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter