The Pro-Genie App discussion thread - speculate how the app could make your trip next trip great!

In what way do you feel bad? Does it keep you up at night thinking about how some people can't afford some extras at WDW? I really don't have the time or the energy to sit here and think about everyone else's life situation. And those that i feel bad for are not the happy families that can go to WDW, but those who have real issues. That's just how I look at life. I can't take everyone's burden away but I sure as heck am not going to feel guilty for working hard and being able to do things that some other people can't. Just like those better off then me are not too concerned with my life.
I don't feel bad. I'm not losing sleep. But I can understand why others might feel bad. That's all.
I certainly don't think you should feel guilty for working hard. Why would you?
I just don't think there's anything wrong with feeling bad for someone - having a bit of empathy.

Fastpass equivalent is paid for at all other similar theme parks. It feels to me that paid FP was an inevitably, and I’m trying to be happy that we got it for free for so long.
It's fascinating how all of us may look at things so differently and appreciate things so differently based on our life experiences. This makes each of us truly unique, and imo, not boring. I enjoy hearing what others have to say. To be honest, I never looked at it from the perspective that we were lucky to have it free for so long.

i'm sorry that you are not looking forward to the potential of having to pay to skip the line since it was once free. and i'm sorry that you were under the impression that Disney wouldn't migrate to something like this in the 21st century but saying that you work hard so you deserve XYZ and the people that (also work hard) don't because they are spending more money is just simply not how our country works
The bolded is a point I’ve been trying to make. It was nice that it was free, but of course this is where we are. We don’t know the price yet, but it’s very possible that one LP is the cost of two Starbucks lattes. I mean that to say, there’s a fair chance it will be the type of upgrade most families in the parks could work into their budget if they so choose. I think for a lot of people, it’s the principle of the thing, that it once was free and now Disney is charging for it. But it is what it is. Twenty years from now, I’m sure my Disney trips will look much different than they do today. The things Disney offers today could be gone tomorrow. I’m just interested in learning what this system is and figuring out how to best plan for our visit.

My question would be how easy/hard would it be to even figure out how much more you'd have to pay to have the same/similar experience that you are used to.

As of now, I have reservations and park hoppers for 2022. I understand what might happen if there are no FP and I understand what might happen if they put FP+ back. Will it be possible to know how much *more* you'd have to pay or how much *more* time you'd have to wait post-Genie to get a similar experience? The worst possible outcome is to spend a TON (travel, hotel, tickets) and then STILL not get the basic experience you can rely on using the existing/former "systems". That would be/is my biggest fear.
I am with you on this one! I fear that to bring my experience up to the level of my former experience, will be too costly. I just hope we know more. Otherwise, I'm going to have to tour very differently than in the past.

It's fascinating how all of us may look at things so differently and appreciate things so differently based on our life experiences. This makes each of us truly unique, and imo, not boring. I enjoy hearing what others have to say. To be honest, I never looked at it from the perspective that we were lucky to have it free for so long.
I know I keep banging on about it, but I think there are some upsides here that some people might be missing!

I’m also optimistic that this system will lower wait times all around, even for the regular standby lines. Time will tell of course, but I loved legacy Fastpass, loved FP+, and I have (perhaps naive) hope that Disney is building yet another system I’m going to enjoy. I’m sure there will be things about FP+ that I’ll miss and I’m also sure there will be things about the new system that I love.

I keep reading many of you say FP+ was "free".
FP+ was never free, the cost has always been "baked" in to the ticket price. Now, IF rumors are true, Disney wants you to pay "more".
The thought of needing my face in a phone all day is just not magical in the least. Pfffft on that

I have said the same thing a 1000 times and people want to argue it. Baked in to the room package at least.

I keep reading many of you say FP+ was "free".
FP+ was never free, the cost has always been "baked" in to the ticket price. Now, IF rumors are true, Disney wants you to pay "more".
The thought of needing my face in a phone all day is just not magical in the least. Pfffft on that

If it was baked into the price then why aren't they reducing the ticket price now that it's gone? I consider it free because there was no separate fee and I don't pay less without it. If they add in a few free FP with the new system for a resort stay, I'll consider it a perk...something I get for a on site reservation, just like any other perk - the few that still exist.

If it was baked into the price then why aren't they reducing the ticket price now that it's gone? I consider it free because there was no separate fee and I don't pay less without it. If they add in a few free FP with the new system for a resort stay, I'll consider it a perk...something I get for a on site reservation, just like any other perk - the few that still exist.

Its not free because theyve said things like this and magical express werent free in the past.

Its not free because theyve said things like this and magical express werent free in the past.

I actually don't recall Disney ever making any statements on the subject. Regardless of whether they are technically free or not, they aren't reducing the price after having taken both away.

I actually don't recall Disney ever making any statements on the subject. Regardless of whether they are technically free or not, they aren't reducing the price after having taken both away.
Well, of course not. I don’t think any of us are unclear about the fact this move aims to increase revenue. I think the point is just that you’ve always “paid” for it. A lot of people have pointed out that they don’t care for the fact it was free and now it’s not. I think the poster was just saying it’s never been free, you always paid for it and now you will pay more.

Well, of course not. I don’t think any of us are unclear about the fact this move aims to increase revenue. I think the point is just that you’ve always “paid” for it. A lot of people have pointed out that they don’t care for the fact it was free and now it’s not. I think the poster was just saying it’s never been free, you always paid for it and now you will pay more.

Maybe we can compromise and agree that we got FP+ for no additional charge. :) There will most certainly be an additional charge with the new system.

My perspective is more like this: In a restaurant, I get a different experience just ordering the entree & a water than the person who gets wine, app, entree and dessert. And we’re both different than Mrs CEO who paid to sit at the chefs table with a custom menu & wine pairings for each course.

We’re all in the same restaurant, but the overall experiences are different.

I think this is pretty common in the entertainment & discretionary spend categories, right? Pay for better seats at a concert, play or sporting event even though you’re seeing the same thing. Pay more for a first or business class seat, even though you’re on the same flight. Pay more for a condo rental that faces the ocean vs the road, even though you’re in the same building.

it isn’t an egalitarian system at all, and we all have our opinions on whether that it should/shouldn’t be.

I guess my point is, it’s common in this vertical and I’m not surprised when it happens.

As a thought experiment, though… what if you were in a restaurant and the waiter refused to bring your food out at the same speed as other diners, because they were paying more? So you waited an hour for food while the person who ordered wine waited 35 minutes and the CEO waited 15 minutes? Or, two people in your party slipped the waiter a $20 so they got their food and started eating while everyone else sat with empty plates watching them eat?

Not a right or wrong answer of course… it comes down to intuitions about what analogy fits best. People’s views will differ.

As a thought experiment, though… what if you were in a restaurant and the waiter refused to bring your food out at the same speed as other diners, because they were paying more? So you waited an hour for food while the person who ordered wine waited 35 minutes and the CEO waited 15 minutes? Or, two people in your party slipped the waiter a $20 so they got their food and started eating while everyone else sat with empty plates watching them eat?

Not a right or wrong answer of course… it comes down to intuitions about what analogy fits best. People’s views will differ.

This is kinda how FP+ worked in practice IMO. The more you paid, the better/easier time you had.

Pay the most by staying on site longer, get first dibs at those best/hard to get FP+s. You paid to sit at the Chef's table and get the best cut of steak.
Pay a lot, but not quite as much as the first group, by staying on-site for shorter got next crack to those FP+s. Your not at the chef's table but you're in the VIP lounge and we still likely have the best steak for you too, but maybe not. But that's ok too, we still have other really good cuts of steak for you too.
Then for those who paid the least by staying off-site you get some ok FP+s. You can still afford this restaurant, but you get chicken.

But don't fret, if you couldn't afford to pay to sit at the chef's table or in the VIP room, you too still have a way to get the best steak. You just should have reasearched better on how to get that best cut of steak. It's EASY to still get the best cut of steak. You just need to hover around the kitchen every ten minutes as the people who were at the chef's table may have decided to send their steak back even though they ordered it and you can have it now.

Last edited:
I don't feel bad. I'm not losing sleep. But I can understand why others might feel bad. That's all.
I certainly don't think you should feel guilty for working hard. Why would you?
I just don't think there's anything wrong with feeling bad for someone - having a bit of empathy.

I think maybe a point of confusion in this thread is that 'feeling bad' can mean different things. It can mean feeling 'bad' as if you're somehow morally in the wrong. And it can mean feeling 'bad' as in 'feeling sad for someone else'.

I think maybe a point of confusion in this thread is that 'feeling bad' can mean different things. It can mean feeling 'bad' as if you're somehow morally in the wrong. And it can mean feeling 'bad' as in 'feeling sad for someone else'.
But we’re talking about people feeling bad for others who may not be able to afford to pay for additional fast passes. Charging for fast passes will be Disney’s decision. Why would anyone in this thread feel morally wrong?

But we’re talking about people feeling bad for others who may not be able to afford to pay for additional fast passes. Charging for fast passes will be Disney’s decision. Why would anyone in this thread feel morally wrong?

Ok, substitute 'Disney', for 'I' then - it could mean 'I feel bad because I think it's wrong that Disney is doing this to you' vs. 'I feel sad that you won't be able to afford FastPasses but I hope one day you will be able to'.

Reading this made me realize why I may have a different view than others.

What you describe at the restaurant? I already assume that’s happening. Perhaps not to that extent, but I believe a VIP or chefs table would absolutely be served before me, even if I was there first.

I’ve accepted that when it comes to entertainment, spending more gets you more. No sense fighting that system; it’s too well ingrained. My best bet is to figure out how to effectively operate within it. Even if I think that philosophically, it sucks.

I see myself as a pragmatist…but I am so thankful for the idealists who keep pushing for something better! The world (& World) needs all of us.

Ok, substitute 'Disney', for 'I' then - it could mean 'I feel bad because I think it's wrong that Disney is doing this to you' vs. 'I feel sad that you won't be able to afford FastPasses but I hope one day you will be able to'.
Sorry. I’m just not following. Or maybe I just see it as the same thing. Feeling bad/sad for someone is the same thing to me in this scenario. Either way, there is no reason to feel guilty.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter