The Pro-Genie App discussion thread - speculate how the app could make your trip next trip great!

Why would you feel bad the someone could not afford it? Did you steal your money or get it through illegal means? We worked our behinds off for decades often scrimping, saving and going without, and sitting at home, to be able to afford nice vacations. We don't smoke or drink or waste money on purses, clothing, knick knacks, etc. I don't feel one shred of guilt going on my vacations and being able to afford something others may not. I worked for it.

Sure, but you're not the only one who worked for it. So did plenty of other people on their own vacations, including all those people you'll be breezing past with your paid FOTL access.

I work, I do my job, and I make okay money...but I come from blue collar stock, and everyone I grew up with worked a lot harder than I do now, for less money than I make now. I sit on a computer most days; they were in factories or farming fields or down in a mine or teaching children to read (something I am definitely not suited for!) And there are a lot of people who make a lot more money than me, off the backs of folks who work their butts off. We've all paid the same to get into the parks. Why should people get to be "above the fray" just because they have more money to waste during their vacation? Why should people be encouraged to skip lines not based on need, not based on how hard they work, but based on how much money they have? If you go to a restaurant with your family, and at the next table is a C-suite guy and their family, would it be fair for his meal to come out faster because he's willing to pay twice as much for the same food? You planned on dinner costing a certain amount, it's what the menu says the meal should cost...are you happy with your experience if you need to wait for anyone willing to pay twice as much to get their food first? You're now waiting an hour because your only other choice is to pay twice what the price of the meal was supposed to be (and, frankly, twice what the meal is worth). The C-suite guy may say "Well I should get my food first, I work hard all day!" ...to which you would think, justifiably, "But so do I!"

The idea that how much money a person earns is defined by how hard they work to earn it - and not based on a complicated system of markets and incentives and under- or over-valuing various types of work - is belied by the fact that sanitation workers earn less than your average middle-manager. Sure, that manager may do good work for their company...but imagine living in a place without sanitation workers!

I have to say…If Disney keeps making things more complicated to visit their parks, I’m going to cancel my trip next year with the family and take vacation at Universal. Never been to Universal, but after checking it out seems much easier to vacation there staying in their “bubble” then what’s going on at Disney these days. Makes me sad as I’ve been going to Disney over 30 years and created generations of Disney lovers like me- but getting disheartening with the direction Disney has been taking over the past couple of years. Instead of happily logging in to see what’s going on with Disney World, I am dreading getting on and finding out what’s happening next. JMHO.

If you go to a restaurant with your family, and at the next table is a C-suite guy and their family, would it be fair for his meal to come out faster because he's willing to pay twice as much for the same food?

My perspective is more like this: In a restaurant, I get a different experience just ordering the entree & a water than the person who gets wine, app, entree and dessert. And we’re both different than Mrs CEO who paid to sit at the chefs table with a custom menu & wine pairings for each course.

We’re all in the same restaurant, but the overall experiences are different.

I think this is pretty common in the entertainment & discretionary spend categories, right? Pay for better seats at a concert, play or sporting event even though you’re seeing the same thing. Pay more for a first or business class seat, even though you’re on the same flight. Pay more for a condo rental that faces the ocean vs the road, even though you’re in the same building.

it isn’t an egalitarian system at all, and we all have our opinions on whether that it should/shouldn’t be.

I guess my point is, it’s common in this vertical and I’m not surprised when it happens.

Sure, but you're not the only one who worked for it. So did plenty of other people on their own vacations, including all those people you'll be breezing past with your paid FOTL access.

I work, I do my job, and I make okay money...but I come from blue collar stock, and everyone I grew up with worked a lot harder than I do now, for less money than I make now. I sit on a computer most days; they were in factories or farming fields or down in a mine or teaching children to read (something I am definitely not suited for!) And there are a lot of people who make a lot more money than me, off the backs of folks who work their butts off. We've all paid the same to get into the parks. Why should people get to be "above the fray" just because they have more money to waste during their vacation? Why should people be encouraged to skip lines not based on need, not based on how hard they work, but based on how much money they have? If you go to a restaurant with your family, and at the next table is a C-suite guy and their family, would it be fair for his meal to come out faster because he's willing to pay twice as much for the same food? You planned on dinner costing a certain amount, it's what the menu says the meal should cost...are you happy with your experience if you need to wait for anyone willing to pay twice as much to get their food first? You're now waiting an hour because your only other choice is to pay twice what the price of the meal was supposed to be (and, frankly, twice what the meal is worth). The C-suite guy may say "Well I should get my food first, I work hard all day!" ...to which you would think, justifiably, "But so do I!"

Have you never flown on a plane that has first class, business class, and coach?

What differentiates where you sit on that plane?

The idea that how much money a person earns is defined by how hard they work to earn it - and not based on a complicated system of markets and incentives and under- or over-valuing various types of work - is belied by the fact that sanitation workers earn less than your average middle-manager. Sure, that manager may do good work for their company...but imagine living in a place without sanitation workers!

So don't work in sanitation if the pay isn't what you want. Be a manager.

I hear what you're saying, but isn't this the way the country is designed. We live in a capitalist economy, with some social programs, which we all pay for in taxes. Disney is not a social program, it's a for profit business. While I don't like the fact that Genie might be quite expensive for those of us with less money, I don't see how this will ever change.

Why would you feel bad the someone could not afford it? Did you steal your money or get it through illegal means? We worked our behinds off for decades often scrimping, saving and going without, and sitting at home, to be able to afford nice vacations. We don't smoke or drink or waste money on purses, clothing, knick knacks, etc. I don't feel one shred of guilt going on my vacations and being able to afford something others may not. I worked for it.
I also work hard for my money and do a lot of saving, but I don't think there's anything wrong with feeling bad for people who can't afford something. :confused3

I hear what you're saying, but isn't this the way the country is designed. We live in a capitalist economy, with some social programs, which we all pay for in taxes. Disney is not a social program, it's a for profit business. While I don't like the fact that Genie might be quite expensive for those of us with less money, I don't see how this will ever change.

Well, if people say "I'm not going to pay more money for less" and either go elsewhere or don't pay for exclusive access, that would change things...potentially. With Cheapek I doubt it, but still.

I feel bad because something that had been included for free before might now be a charge that some cannot afford. This might be particularly hard for young families or those with disabilities that the quicker access makes their trip more enjoyable. Just because I can afford the upcharge and can likewise point out years of hard work, etc. doesn't mean I can't sympathize with others that have also worked hard and saved but perhaps never earned as much and so the new charges affect them differently. Feeling bad for others is not the same as feeing guilty that you can do something that others can't. After all, many people on this planet won't even have the chance to take one vacation in their lifetime. Anyone going to Disney is already lucky.

If only we lived in that utopia where the world was fair and everyone was kind and generous. Almost every place had some kind of paid for upgrade. Whether it is avocado on a sandwich or a closer parking spot to the airport terminal. You get more if you pay more. I don't why you are so angry about a concept that had been around forever.

I also work hard for my money and do a lot of saving, but I don't think there's anything wrong with feeling bad for people who can't afford something. :confused3
In what way do you feel bad? Does it keep you up at night thinking about how some people can't afford some extras at WDW? I really don't have the time or the energy to sit here and think about everyone else's life situation. And those that i feel bad for are not the happy families that can go to WDW, but those who have real issues. That's just how I look at life. I can't take everyone's burden away but I sure as heck am not going to feel guilty for working hard and being able to do things that some other people can't. Just like those better off then me are not too concerned with my life.

I think it's mostly a matter of disappointment for those who won't be able to afford an upcharge. For others, they will sacrifice and find ways to figure it out. There will be those who may not be able to do it at all, and there will be those who have no concern whatsoever in paying for premium access. IMO the real gripe is that FP's were free before, and now we are looking at possibly paying for them. With the cost of everything on the rise, and a lack of increase in many family's paychecks, it's a hard pill to swallow.

Why should people get to be "above the fray" just because they have more money to waste during their vacation? Why should people be encouraged to skip lines not based on need, not based on how hard they work, but based on how much money they have? If you go to a restaurant with your family, and at the next table is a C-suite guy and their family, would it be fair for his meal to come out faster because he's willing to pay twice as much for the same food? You planned on dinner costing a certain amount, it's what the menu says the meal should cost...are you happy with your experience if you need to wait for anyone willing to pay twice as much to get their food first? You're now waiting an hour because your only other choice is to pay twice what the price of the meal was supposed to be (and, frankly, twice what the meal is worth). The C-suite guy may say "Well I should get my food first, I work hard all day!" ...to which you would think, justifiably, "But so do I!"

i went to an MLB game last week and stood in line 30 minutes to get into the stadium while those that bought suite tickets immediately walked in. they have more money to waste at a sporting event. they skipped the line, get food included, etc etc etc. so is that wrong? i work hard and spent my hard earned money on my ticket but i mean, so did they? i had to wait in 25 minute lines to get beer and food and they didn't but....thats how it is.

do you have the same opinion about the VIP tours that Disney has been running? or the extra ticketed events? or at Universal when people have express passes and are galivanting to the front of the line while you wait 2 hours for gringotts? that it's not fair for those guests to experience that since it is 'not based on need, not based on how hard they work, but based on how much money they have"?

this morning i spent roughly $225 a piece to go to merriest after hours this winter and i will (hopefully) be receiving a better experience because i spent the money to do so. i was definitely encouraged by having low wait times in Magic Kingdom for an evening and dished out the money since i believe it would be worth it.
i certainly don't think i work harder than you and deserve it more, but are you mad at me for purchasing this extra ticketed event because i spent the money to do so? is that not fair?

i'm sorry that you are not looking forward to the potential of having to pay to skip the line since it was once free. and i'm sorry that you were under the impression that Disney wouldn't migrate to something like this in the 21st century but saying that you work hard so you deserve XYZ and the people that (also work hard) don't because they are spending more money is just simply not how our country works

I think it's mostly a matter of disappointment for those who won't be able to afford an upcharge. For others, they will sacrifice and find ways to figure it out. There will be those who may not be able to do it at all, and there will be those who have no concern whatsoever in paying for premium access. IMO the real gripe is that FP's were free before, and now we are looking at possibly paying for them. With the cost of everything on the rise, and a lack of increase in many family's paychecks, it's a hard pill to swallow.
Fastpass equivalent is paid for at all other similar theme parks. It feels to me that paid FP was an inevitably, and I’m trying to be happy that we got it for free for so long.

My question would be how easy/hard would it be to even figure out how much more you'd have to pay to have the same/similar experience that you are used to.

As of now, I have reservations and park hoppers for 2022. I understand what might happen if there are no FP and I understand what might happen if they put FP+ back. Will it be possible to know how much *more* you'd have to pay or how much *more* time you'd have to wait post-Genie to get a similar experience? The worst possible outcome is to spend a TON (travel, hotel, tickets) and then STILL not get the basic experience you can rely on using the existing/former "systems". That would be/is my biggest fear.

Fastpass equivalent is paid for at all other similar theme parks. It feels to me that paid FP was an inevitably, and I’m trying to be happy that we got it for free for so long.

I can accept that we'll pay for them. If the current rumors prove to be true, it's that we aren't going to get anything equivalent to FP+ whether it's paid or not. The idea of paying per ride is something I just can't deal with. I'm hoping there's some Universal style offer, but it sure isn't on the radar from anything I read. Let me buy a stack of FP's to use as I want or an all day price to use at any ride- I just can't stand the idea of having to stop before riding each ride, pull out the phone and buy access. Sounds perfectly awful to me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter