The Pro-Genie App discussion thread - speculate how the app could make your trip next trip great!

I don't understand this Genie app. I need to research it. But...if I have to use both Genie and MDE apps together, then my initial take is that I'm not happy. Maybe I'm too old and grouchy for the Empire, I mean WDW, but the I love just being one with the parks and the little details that engross and surround you and move through you. Sort of like the living force.

Too many apps and too frequently on your mobile device just takes away from those little details that I love so much. But, every time WDW strikes me down with a light saber I grow stronger.

I don't understand this Genie app. I need to research it. But...if I have to use both Genie and MDE apps together, then my initial take is that I'm not happy. Maybe I'm too old and grouchy for the Empire, I mean WDW, but the I love just being one with the parks and the little details that engross and surround you and move through you. Sort of like the living force.

Too many apps and too frequently on your mobile device just takes away from those little details that I love so much. But, every time WDW strikes me down with a light saber I grow stronger.

I've got a feeling it'll be a separate app instead of completely replacing the MDE app. The MDE app would still cover your entire Disney account while Genie would be WDW park focused. Similar to the Play Disney Parks app, it'll probably be able to open via the MDE but we'd be looking at yet another app

In Bob Chapek’s words at the latest earnings call meeting “this will create more corporate opportunities”.

And then he somehow created this thread…🤔

So yea, if there an option for not excited at all in this thread I’ll take that for 1000 Bob.

I’m only going download this if they somehow figure out a way to force it, meaning you can’t buy fastpasses without it (which I 100% foresee).

I need more Disney magic, not Disney Corporate Magic. There is a difference.

I cannot be excited for something I know so little about. I am looking forward to something resembling fastpass+? Yes, of course. I hate wasting vacation time in lines, and my kids are little and can't tolerate long lines. Disney is supposed to be family friendly, but in no way are 50 minute wait times do-able for pre-schoolers and toddlers. I am looking forward to finally having information about what is coming. But I loved fastpass+. I knew how to use it, and it didn't nickel and dime me every step of the way. It made my vacation enjoyable - it made my vacation feel like a VACATION.

I won't pass judgment on this system just yet. Call me naive but I am hoping that this is not entirely pay to play. I will have a VERY hard time paying for a convenience that used to be included in my park ticket. If there are 3 wishes included (at least for resort guests, because I am that) and the ability to BUY extra fastpasses, then I can get on board with that. If that's the case they MAY even have a shot at getting me to throw a little money at it. But if every fastpass is to be entirely paid, I will be hard pressed to plan a return trip. ESPECIALLY if they are planning on nickel & diming me throughout my entire trip. If there is a REASONABLE flat fee for fp+, depending on cost, I might consider buying it THIS TIME but only because we are already renting DVC and are therefore committed to our upcoming trip. I'd do what I had to to make it a good time for my family, but that's only if the price tag falls within what I consider a reasonable range (which, honestly, my threshold for this is far less than the prices being charge pp per ride at DLP). But beyond this upcoming trip, this Disney Genie nonsense could be my breaking point with Disney. We shall see.

For perspective, I am someone that is comfortable planning restaurants 180 days in advance, Fastpass 60 days, what park per day and what we will generally be doing. I enjoy that part of the process as something that makes me excited for my impending vacation.

With that being said, I really am not looking forward to the Genie at all. I would rather do planning up front and be free to enjoy my park experiences then have to make constant adjustments throughout the day with the possible features that have been discussed. Now, we really don’t know how it will look, so I am open to being positive about it, but it seems like a mess from the rumors thus far.

My husband works in transportation and the software that one of their vendors uses appears to be similar to this app. It analyzes location , traffic and user data to make sure it’s optimizing it’s service.

Simply put , this app has the potential to level the playing field for everyone ( which I realize not a lot of people who know how to work the system want ) and push people to areas of the park that are being underutilized. It will show you the best way to accomplish the things you want to do and optimize your day. That could be a very good thing.

The “I don’t want to be on my phone more” argument doesn’t really hold weight for me.Using the refresh method had me on my phone constantly. I was often searching for the next fast pass before were even off the ride we were on . We were criss crossing the park constantly . I will freely admit I was always feeling some anxiety or even low level competitiveness when it came to getting the next ride and making sure the family was happy. An optimized touring plan * could* mean and end to all that . Even if it doesn’t I have to make a promise to myself to knock that off anyway . It’s no fun .

I would love to see a touring plan option that automatically provides FP/VQ for every ride in your plan. Request place and/or time for eating and get an ADR automatically. Have time built in for shopping, because my wife must shop every store.

I know there is already an app for this. But if disney did it, it could possibly do the auto fp/vq and adr.

My husband works in transportation and the software that one of their vendors uses appears to be similar to this app. It analyzes location , traffic and user data to make sure it’s optimizing it’s service.

Simply put , this app has the potential to level the playing field for everyone ( which I realize not a lot of people who know how to work the system want ) and push people to areas of the park that are being underutilized. It will show you the best way to accomplish the things you want to do and optimize your day. That could be a very good thing.

The “I don’t want to be on my phone more” argument doesn’t really hold weight for me.Using the refresh method had me on my phone constantly. I was often searching for the next fast pass before were even off the ride we were on . We were criss crossing the park constantly . I will freely admit I was always feeling some anxiety or even low level competitiveness when it came to getting the next ride and making sure the family was happy. An optimized touring plan * could* mean and end to all that . Even if it doesn’t I have to make a promise to myself to knock that off anyway . It’s no fun .
The best thing about pre-planned fast passes for us was that we used them much like a das. It allowed us to plan much of our park time in a way to accommodate needs. I think quite a few parties have done this, it just wasn't mentioned too much until FP went away.
Constant searching, crisscrossing parks quickly generally isn't going to work for us, although it's great for some.
The pre-planning aspect was hugely helpful. I hope that is still available.

My issue with this is that the top attractions are never going to have short waits. There is unlikely to be a time that I can get in line for Slinky Dog where I'm not going to be waiting an hour. For my family with young kids, that is prohibitive.

Many years ago I stopped going to the local Six Flags, because I realized that my park ticket was only getting me on two rides, due to HOURS long waits. That's a lot of money to spend for two rides, and it's not how I wanted to spend my money or time then, and it's not how I want to spend my money or time now either. We don't fly to Disney and spend thousands on accommodations for the lower tier rides. There are versions of those all over the place in my area at the local boardwalks and theme parks. We go for those E-ticket attractions. Sure, I'll probably be able to skip the lines if I'm willing to pay something like $40 a pop for my entire family, but I at that point I just feel nickeled and dimed, and FORCED into paying for an attraction that is SUPPOSEDLY included in my park ticket.

Disney is allowed to do whatever they want to do, but at that point it just stops feeling like a vacation to me. It sounds stressful having to decide which rides warrant that extra cost and which don't. And where couples, singles, and families with older kids can manage a line like that, I'd feel like families with smaller kids would just wind up being taken advantage of. The whole thing just leaves a bad taste in my mouth, and I don't want to spend a vacation feeling that way.

Here is what I want from Genie....

...A touring plan with automatic FP/VQ for each ride on plan and ADRs. Build in time for shopping and other activities between rides. in a restaurant you would like to eat at and have the plan automatically schedule around meal and provide ADR. Or option to just put a time and QS/TS and have it select nearest restaurant where you will be at. Options to see parades/fireworks/other entertainment. Meet & greets built in for characters on your list.

Select commando, normal, or relaxed plan. Have your must do attraction. Must buy souvenir to direct you to the store carrying it.

It would keep the lines low, guests out and about to shop and nosh, and guest spread through out the park. A win win, I think.

Of course, it has to be optional. Some people like to just wing it.

I just want to find out what it is already so I can start complaining with a bit of accuracy.

I'm going to be dragging 10 people including me, 3 of which are under 5, around Disney in February, all of whom are going to be looking at me for guidance as I'm a planner and know Disney pretty well. (thanks to this site BTW)

So I just want an idea of what that is going to look like to start my planning. I liked the FP+ system well enough as i got good at the refreshing part of it to land available FP.

I just want to see the app, see reports of it in action, and plan accordingly. I feel for all of you trying to take a trip in the next few months. You will be guinea pigs. And we need you to report here on what is what.

Virtual Queues would make me fall in love with the app.
Right now, I hate the vq. Unless you have a bot, a super computer, and a lag free network connection to their server, you have a better chance at winning the powerball jackpot.

If genie could provide you with a vq for that must do ride at least once during your trip, I think you would find greater acceptance of the app and happier guests.

I just want to find out what it is already so I can start complaining with a bit of accuracy.

LOL

I'm going to be dragging 10 people including me, 3 of which are under 5, around Disney in February, all of whom are going to be looking at me for guidance as I'm a planner and know Disney pretty well. (thanks to this site BTW)

So I just want an idea of what that is going to look like to start my planning. I liked the FP+ system well enough as i got good at the refreshing part of it to land available FP.

I just want to see the app, see reports of it in action, and plan accordingly. I feel for all of you trying to take a trip in the next few months. You will be guinea pigs. And we need you to report here on what is what.

I relate to this so hard. I'm the main planner for a group of 11 this coming spring, including a 5 year old and two 2 year olds. The fastpass thing has always been a core element because it made the line situation doable for little ones. I'm stressed beyond belief at this point. Just give me information so I can start figuring this out.

My issue with this is that the top attractions are never going to have short waits. There is unlikely to be a time that I can get in line for Slinky Dog where I'm not going to be waiting an hour. For my family with young kids, that is prohibitive.

Many years ago I stopped going to the local Six Flags, because I realized that my park ticket was only getting me on two rides, due to HOURS long waits. That's a lot of money to spend for two rides, and it's not how I wanted to spend my money or time then, and it's not how I want to spend my money or time now either. We don't fly to Disney and spend thousands on accommodations for the lower tier rides. There are versions of those all over the place in my area at the local boardwalks and theme parks. We go for those E-ticket attractions. Sure, I'll probably be able to skip the lines if I'm willing to pay something like $40 a pop for my entire family, but I at that point I just feel nickeled and dimed, and FORCED into paying for an attraction that is SUPPOSEDLY included in my park ticket.

Disney is allowed to do whatever they want to do, but at that point it just stops feeling like a vacation to me. It sounds stressful having to decide which rides warrant that extra cost and which don't. And where couples, singles, and families with older kids can manage a line like that, I'd feel like families with smaller kids would just wind up being taken advantage of. The whole thing just leaves a bad taste in my mouth, and I don't want to spend a vacation feeling that way.
I can’t speak to what it will or won’t cost yet or if any fast passes will be included because none of that has been leaked or announced that I’m aware of. So I was just commenting on what I saw as a potential positive . I also wouldn’t be pleased with or willing to pay for the rides but I don’t know any details of that yet .

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter