The Pro-Genie App discussion thread - speculate how the app could make your trip next trip great!

For the record, I am against eliminating free FP. I don’t like the exclusively pay-toplay system.

Here’s what I realistically expect to happen:

All FP are paid but with dynamic pricing. A certain number of FP will be set aside to buy in advance at a higher “guarantee to ride” price. Most will be available to purchase the day-of with dynamic pricing engaged.

Staying at an on-site hotel will get you a certain dollar amount of “Genie Gems” (or some other catchy name) to put towards your FP. Values get less, deluxe get more.

To fill the hotels during slow times of the year, they’ll offer genie gems incentives “Book a 3-night package now and get $200 in magical tokens”

Do I love it? No.

is it an improvement for me? Yes.
As someone who normally stays deluxe, I would be on board with this….as long as there is an advanced option. Nothing sounds more stressful than fighting to get fastpasses every morning of my vacation . Because realistically if there is any “free” FPs included with stays or otherwise it’s going to be even more cutthroat because 1. there will have to be fewer of them to reserve so many for paid availability and 2. people will be even more motivated to get them vs paying

great question - we are a family of 4

As I said, to be able to afford this we would have to go less often.

Something I didn’t mention earlier but just occurred to me is that I’m not willing to pay for FP to m every ride, not would I pay the same amount for every ride.

If it’s $50 for Jungle Cruise FP, then I’m going to pass on that.

Paying $50 today to guarantee a FP on Tron during my next visit, on any day at any time, take my money!
At that rate I suggest you look into booking a VIP tour for you and your guests, it may save you some money.

I think suggestions such as these may be helpful to first timers at DW, but it will come across as maddening/condescending to seasoned DW travelers.
As someone who gets lots of stuff in emails and texts that I just ignore without getting mad, I’m thinking it might be something else. I’d love it if the Genie took away the advantage of being a seasoned WDW traveler. It would be great if everyone who showed up at Disney had the same knowledge and opportunity for getting on a headliner or finding the out of the way gems.

The people who know everything Disney could decide not to press the “what else is there to do” button on the app.

Lines in the sand. Disney runs attractions at reduced capacity to generate $$$. Disney sells more then half capacity making stand by waiting longer. Disney uses app to close stand byy line before park closing. Ending option of getting on line a few minutes before park closing

As someone who gets lots of stuff in emails and texts that I just ignore without getting mad, I’m thinking it might be something else. I’d love it if the Genie took away the advantage of being a seasoned WDW traveler. It would be great if everyone who showed up at Disney had the same knowledge and opportunity for getting on a headliner or finding the out of the way gems.

The people who know everything Disney could decide not to press the “what else is there to do” button on the app.

Everyone that chooses to plan in advance has access to all the information they need. People that don't plan in advance choose not to. So the genie app will take away my choice, and charge me for what I was able to do at 60 days.

This is part of my post on the other thread and I believe it is relevant here too:
When we talk about headliners, what would that be considered at the MK? Space Mountain, 7DMT, BTRR, Splash, Jungle Cruise, Peter Pan?

During the holidays, these rides can all have wait times north of 60 minutes. In the past I would have had a FP. Now if the speculation is correct, I won't. My choice is gone unless I want to wait 6 hours or pay $25 pp per ride, per day. For the 5 of us, that would be an extra $750 for just those rides. We haven't even gotten to EPCOT/AK/HS with the tiers. So now I will have to switch to a commando plan, pay $ for what once was free, or not ride the rides.

An app telling me where to get a Dole Whip while taking away my choice to plan in advance is not going to excite me enough to make up for the additional costs I am going to incur.

That's just me though and I'm sure others will find benefits if this all proves out.

First I want to state that I am not jugging anyone here on how they chose to spend their money. I believe my wife and I have a decent paying jobs but I have a hard time grasping how so many people seem ok with paying $15.00 or more to get on a ride that lasts for the most part less than 3 minutes especially after you are already dropping $100.00 plus per ticket to enter the park. A Disney vacation is not cheap by any stretch of the imagination when you add air fare, food, tickets, room and a rental car if you chose. Plus all of the other incidental costs such as parking and souvenirs. If they sell you a bundle of 3 for $50.00 ( old club rate) you have just added $200.00 a day for a family of 4 and for 5 days that is another $1,000.00 above and beyond all of your other expenses. So now a 5 night stay at a amusement park ( a very nice one I will add) is pushing close to 7k to 8k.

I totally understand where you’re coming from, but instead of seeing it as paying for a 3 minute ride, I see it as paying for an experience upgrade. I’m paying for the convenience of not standing in line and not being tied to being in a specific location within a 1 hour window.

At that rate I suggest you look into booking a VIP tour for you and your guests, it may save you some money.

I have. A VIP tour at current prices is $6,000 for 8 hours, at current prices for the time of year that we can visit. I’d much rather spend an additional $1,000 across a 4-day trip with upgraded FP.

Honestly? That just sounds like diluting the product in order to create a generic experience for all. Out of the way gems will become “meh” for everyone.

Sure. If there is such a button. I’m thinking there might just be pop up notifications. A few might be super important telling you when it’s time for you to ride, so you may not be able to shut down all the other irrelevant info.

I totally understand where you’re coming from, but instead of seeing it as paying for a 3 minute ride, I see it as paying for an experience upgrade. I’m paying for the convenience of not standing in line and not being tied to being in a specific location within a 1 hour window.

I have. A VIP tour at current prices is $6,000 for 8 hours, at current prices for the time of year that we can visit. I’d much rather spend an additional $1,000 across a 4-day trip with upgraded FP.

That's definitely quite a choice LOL :)

Since we are throwing our wishes in the lamp, I would still like to be able to choose to plan FP at 60 days and obtain additional FPs for everything I want to ride just as I could in March of 2020 without paying an additional $1000 on 10 attractions for 4 people across 4 parks ($1250 for 5 people) on top of admission or $6000 for a tour guide.

I see your point of view. But to my mind it's still a matter of the quick decline of the value of my Disney vacation fund money,

When were park tix $100/day avg? For the sake of argument, lets pick 2018. Not sure this is accurate but here goes.....

In 2018, $200 bought 2 people an "experience upgrade" from the parking lot to the other side of the park gate. I think of all that that "upgrade" purchased.
In 2021 (maybe) $200 (maybe because this is all hypothetical) gets you (4 people) the convenience of not standing in line for ONE RIDE or being tied to a specific location for ~an hour.

It's that contrast. That change in the value of $200 in such a short time. That's the shocking part to me. I hope, in their research, Disney found that it would be shocking to too many people and that the $50 is way above what they will actually be asking. ****hope****

Lines in the sand. Disney runs attractions at reduced capacity to generate $$$. Disney sells more then half capacity making stand by waiting longer. Disney uses app to close stand byy line before park closing. Ending option of getting on line a few minutes before park closing

This very practice, which I think is highly realistic and will happen, would also kill rope dropping altogether (by making all standby lines in the morning be virtual only). But I think the new early extra half hour entry might do that anyway.

Everyone that chooses to plan in advance has access to all the information they need. People that don't plan in advance choose not to. So the genie app will take away my choice, and charge me for what I was able to do at 60 days.

Disney may have found that rewarding those that plan in advance, and closing out options for those that don’t is not the best strategy to make revenue.

They may have found they are losing first time visitors due to frustration of having no way to ride the attractions they saw on the commercials. They may be finding the are losing the folks that make last minute plans to Universal.

They may also be finding that when they change hours or attractions less than 60 days out they get a ton of complaints. So the advanced planning of their guests is making it harder for them to be nimble with staffing and hour changes.

To many it sounds like the advance planning is a virtue, but I could understand if Disney doesn’t see it that way.

Disney may have found that rewarding those that plan in advance, and closing out options for those that don’t is not the best strategy to make revenue.

They may have found they are losing first time visitors due to frustration of having no way to ride the attractions they saw on the commercials. They may be finding the are losing the folks that make last minute plans to Universal.

They may also be finding that when they change hours or attractions less than 60 days out they get a ton of complaints. So the advanced planning of their guests is making it harder for them to be nimble with staffing and hour changes.

To many it sounds like the advance planning is a virtue, but I could understand if Disney doesn’t see it that way.

I agree. The management of WDW has made it clear that the target is not the loyal repeat yearly/AP/resident guest and wants the focus on the first timer.

WDW created a situation where you had to become educated in order to have a great experience. Guests that showed up uneducated, did not.

What I have said before though, it is a slippery slope to diminish value and experience for your loyal guests that get you through difficult times. 1st time guest frustration and poor experience does need to be addressed, just not sure it should be on the backs of those that have proven to be loyal customers.

I experienced a trial of the virtual queue at DL in June with Indy. If the queue exceeded something like 45 minutes, they turned it virtual. It was annoying to be honest because the virtual queue was filled so fast I didn't get a chance. Same with the virtual queue at USH for the Secret Life of Pets ride they used when it first opened...It fills up and you're out of luck.

So what they're saying is probably, well, if the virtual queue is full, just pay for the front of the line pass, right? They make money and everyone's happy...unless you can't afford that because you've already maxed out your credit card on Disney.

FWIW, Universal in Orlando operated with some virtual queues when i was there over labor day in 2020. And not just for Hagrids like what they are doing now (and Fallon which is 100% virtual).
Because of how crowded the park was they put more attractions on the Universal app for Virtual Queue. It was like a same day fastpass. You could have 2 at a time and a (gracious feature that Disney would NEVER do...) member of your party could have 2 attractions for VQ and another member of your party could ALSO have 2 attractions and you could really be double dipping.

but it worked rather well if you knew about it. They closed down the queues though so the only ones entering were VQ and standby wasn't even an option. You would go up to the wait time at the front of the attraction and it would say 'Virtual'. The wait times did range per attraction still--when it was our turn for Hagrids' the first time it took about 30 minutes from getting in the actual ride queue, maybe longer. But the second time we got to do VQ for Hagrids' that day it was basically a walk-on. And they still had Express passes going.

and similar to the refresh method for old FP+, there were continuously time slots opening for certain attractions. But it took out the pre-planning of a trip and we personally enjoyed it.

so personally, i wouldn't be mad for Disney if half of the attractions had standby like normal and half had VQ. VQ would be like old FP+ refresh method of once you get to the park you can try to grab some time slots. And then as a third option you can pay to ride right away as opposed to waiting for your VQ time slot or the standby at another attraction.

To be fair- it's Disney that set up the advance planning to begin with

and to echo what i have said on other threads and to what we are saying because we are on these boards and clearly plan much more than the average disney-goer does, i liked the photo that someone put up on an earlier page--i like the look and the animation and hopefully it will run smoothly. if it is FREE to get a bit more in-depth of an itinerary of our days that would be wonderful. I can put in our interests and as the photo potentially indicated, have a FP planned, get some insight on what is around me that would work into my schedule, etc. if it is $$ to get this sort of planning tool, i just simply won't need it because i already can tour rather efficiently and won't need to spend money to be told that going to ride a headliner during a parade, at park open or park close is the lowest time of the day.
i also really don't like being on my phone a lot during the day but that's just how the times are unfortunately and i'll get over it.

i'm hopeful that there is a free element to the Genie because that would be extremely disappointing, like others have mentioned, for all of this hype/controversy/speculation around something that will be more money entirely. as i posted above, i really wholeheartedly agree that SOMETHING is going to be included for us still. whether it is 1, 2, 3 FP+ a day, or the chance to get into a VQ (similar to a fastpass anyway????)
I'm going to optimistically ignore the warnings of you either have two options: wait in standby or pay money to ride.

Charging for what was free is not their pattern, and I'm astounded by how many people keep insisting that it has been.
Alas, while one could argue Walt was no saint, there is such a wide range of experiences (since Walt and some of his ideals and Traditions have faded in the rear-view) that conversations with us curmudgeons about what a WALT Disney experience might be get increasingly difficult. I’m not sure Value/Moderates would have been in Walt’s landscape (maybe they would have been….but he did use real gold leaf in DL!). I wonder how many of people with more recent experiences (who think Values and Moderates always existed) have read books like Walt Disney, An American Original and Storming the Magic Kingdom….

Yes but it does not seem to be the FP+ system. If it were the same system but now for a fee, I could understand all the upset I see in the boards. But it’s a new system, with what looks to be paid options and free options
Same system, different system, doesn't matter. By design, *any* system that charges me for faster ride access, which I was already getting for free, is going to reduce my in-park experience. Even if I get 3 free "wishes" or whatever dressed up name they want to give them, and then have to pay for extras, that reduces the amount of rides I'm able to experience on my vacation unless I want to throw more money at the mouse, which I don't. Mickey is already getting a fortune from me.

Same system, different system, doesn't matter. By design, *any* system that charges me for faster ride access, which I was already getting for free, is going to reduce my in-park experience. Even if I get 3 free "wishes" or whatever dressed up name they want to give them, and then have to pay for extras, that reduces the amount of rides I'm able to experience on my vacation unless I want to throw more money at the mouse, which I don't. Mickey is already getting a fortune from me.
Genuine question: would you have felt better about paying if Disney had charged for fast line access from day one, like Universal?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter