• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The price of Vacation

So many ppl are suggesting the OP tour cheaper... Eat sandwiches and cereal, get a cheaper hotel. I don't read his post as "I booked this and can't afford it can anyone help me cut costs" but rather "wow after booking all the awesome stuff that we want to do, it adds up to a crazy amount of money!"

And to that, I totally agree!

$10k is not unreasonable. Tho I'm sure he could tour for less, that doesn't seem to be his goal. Our trip adds up to almost as much as the OP's:

$2900 - 7 nts Deluxe Hotel w/ 20% Spring Special
$1558 - 7 days Disney tix
$1496 - 7 days Disney dining
----------------Hotel / Ticket / Dining subtotal is $5955.60
($500) - Target Gift Card savings
$400 - Disney dining beyond DDP
$200 - Galactic Dine-In
$200 - Feel the Force
$100 - Pirates & Pals
$100 - Bibbity Boppity

$0 - 3 nts Offsite Hotel (free on points)
$250 - LEGOLAND Tix
$500 - Dining on non-Disney and travel days
$500 - Gas
$500 - Souveniers / Misc

That's $8204 for about 10 days plus a travel day on each end.

His $4000 for food/misc is about equal to mine... $1496+$400+$200+$200+$100+$100+$500+$500 is $3496 Food/Misc for only 10 days vs his 14.

Now has this gone up from last trip? That was Sep 2012 and we got Free Dining instead of a Hotel Discount. That dining saved us easily $1200 vs the $667 we save w the 20% instead. In 2012 our costs were:
$4134 Hotel & Ticket Package including Dining. But at the Poly vs CR so not exactly apples to apples.

Compare this to our current $5955.60... which includes an additional day plus one child is now a Disney Adult... Multiplying $5955.60 * 6/7 to get it down to a 6-day equivalent, we have $5104.80. Then changing out the free dining ($1200 value vs $667 value) is $4571.

Net increase? About $400. $230 of that is made up by the differential of 1 child on A vs C dining ($38*6) and the rest is probly the difference in his park ticket. So I would say no, prices are not all that much more expensive now than they were 2 years ago. Given, we went during the rainy season during which Free Dining was offered and now we're going at a less economical perk-time of year.

I just finished booking my vacation for a family of 5 and almost fell out of my chair. Is it just me or are the prices crazy anymore. We are going for 2 weeks and the breakdown is below. We aren't even flying down we are driving. Universal Tickets (3 Days) $810.00 Disney Tickets $1,805.00 House $2,700.00 Gas $350.00 Spending & food $4,000.00 Total $9,665.00

Personally, I think you could get cheaper accommodations. Next, you could definitely cut back on the food and spending budget. Do cookouts at the house and prepare some meals in the kitchen. I know it doesn't quite feel like vacation when you cook, but this is where I would cut corners.

There are resorts where 5 can fit comfortably like Residence Inn in Lake Buena Vista. You can get a 2 bedroom suite for $150 to $175/night. This suite will give you a full size kitchen, 2 bedrooms which can have 2 queen beds each and a sleeper sofa in the living room. There are three TVs in these suites and two bathrooms. Their pool is okay there. You get a wonderful breakfast with hot and cold items. The breakfast meal gets us through the day and we only eat one more meal per day. Three times a week the resort gives an evening reception (limited time like 90 minutes) where you get an all you can eat quick service style meal with included beer, wine, and soda.

We have cut back our trips to Orlando because of the cost. We like going to Pigeon Forge, now. Dollywood has musical festivals we enjoy. With the economy getting better supposedly the costs to go to Orlando has risen a lot.

There was a five year period where Disney was more affordable, but not anymore. I won't say I won't go back to Disney, but it's more of an occasional visit, now.

For a week for my brother and I, not including flights but including a value resort, food, and park tickets for 7 days, it was less than $2000 which really doesn't sound that bad to me. I mean sure it's a lot but it's worth it in the long run. Add in flights, memory maker, souvenirs etc and it tacks on another $1000. Compared to a lot of vacations people take it's not really that expensive.

Wow, interesting and scary thread:).

Hell, it's a vacation! We budget for it and don't look back.
We're thankful that we can afford it and this will be the last time I itemize :thumbsup2.

I like your attitude. Hey, we're only on this earth once right? The memories we get out of these vacations are priceless:goodvibes:goodvibes, and you can't get that time back once it's gone.

Dan

Well, Beaches at Turks and Caicos, all inclusive (including alcohol) for 7 nights, _ airfare:

7 nights: 8k
airfare for 4: 1600

$9600

O.P., you're spending $2700 to rent a house. If Disney is offering a free dining plan, you could book a suite at a value resort instead, and save a bundle on food.

On our Disneyland/California trip, we carried protein bars with us, which kept us going in the parks without springing for many meals. Just make sure you have bottles of water, because protein bars make you thirsty.

This is awesome to see how other families are planning their vacations and the cost. Very insightful. I do not have a complete itemized list, but:

6 Night at OKW 1-Bedroom Villa, 6-days of park tickets (3 Adults, 1 child), and Memory Maker = $3,700.
Driving from Atlanta, so $200 for gas.
We have a full kitchen and are bringing about $100 of groceries.
I am not a fan of the meal plan. Opinions obviously vary, but holy smokes, I am not a fan.
We will eat snacks at the park, eat at Epcot World Showcase, and occassionally a lunch, but we will be eating breakfast at the villa, most lunches as we will be taking three to four hour breaks during most days (no break on AK day). We are also eating out at an off-property restaurant one night. Truly, we are looking at $700 tops eating outside of the Villa and that will be more than enough food.
Also have around $500 discretionary for souvenirs, extras, etc. If we surpass $5,200 I would be shocked.

It is much more expensive when you do more than one park - here is my cost for 2 adults, 10 nights/ 11days:

Airfare from Columbus,OH - 570.00 (Southwest)
Transportation - 165.00 (Magical Express, 3 way transport Tiffany Town Car)
4 nights Disney's Yacht Club - 1086.57 (orbitz discover code)
3 day Disney Park Hopper tickets - 580.00 (UT)
Disney Food and misc - 400.00 (have 500.00 Disney Gift Cards but only pd 400.00 with Kroger Xmas promotion)
AAA Universal Package - 1388.67 (3 nights Royal Pacific, 3 day Park to Park tickets, Cinematic Dining, 3 Broomsticks Breakfast, 1 day Quick Service Dining)
Sea World Package - 627.00 (3 nights Doubletree,Length of stay SW and Aquatica tickets, 2 days free dining)
2 1/2 days food - 250.00
Total - 5067.24

Dang gum, I thought my budget was horrific, but maybe not so much now.

6 nights/ 7 days, driving, live about 580 miles away. 3 Adults, 1 child

Moderate hotel- hoping for a discount through Disney and Orbitz- 900.00
Tickets- 1200.00
Food, all counter service, a few snacks in the park- 1100.00
Gasonline- 200.00
Souvernir Money- 200.00

A total of $3600.00 in my ball park. Should I budget more, less?

Input, Input, Input, people!:)

Family of 3:

Tickets: $1107.00 - half of 10-day non-expire with PH and WaterParks
Hotel: $830.00 - 7 Nights in One Bedrm Suite Marriott Courtyard (buffet breakfast included)
Airfare: $894.00
Car Rental: $158.00
Parking: $85.00
Memory Maker: $150.00
StarWars Bkreafast: $150.00
Other Food & Spending Money ....about $1,000

Total: $4400

Wow. I always thought I was getting the "best deal" some of you are really making me consider staying somewhere else!
military family of 5
Gas tolls : $200
7 nights at Shades of Green : $861
4day park hopper :$ 845
Parking $35
2 character meals $450 ( paid for by disney visa reward points and gift cards)
Food and souvenirs $1000
Busch gardens tickets $74.00 (5 tickets , 4 free)
Total: $3,015

I think the biggest variable in price is food. Seems like everyone has greatly varying food budgets. I also think some people are hiding the "real" cost of their food, such as leaving out alcohol, desserts, tips, and other extras.

Here's why my food costs are high:
- For as much as it sounds great to save money eating in a rental condo, to me, it's vacation. I'm not doing any dishes...even if it's just putting them in a dishwasher.

- My wife and I will regularly have 1-2 drinks with every dinner (sometimes lunch). We're not big beer drinkers. Liquor and Wine are more expensive.

- We eat "nice" on vacation. Our dinner line-up for our coming trip is: California Grill, Be Our Guest, Jonnie Hideaway, probably one of the Brazilian steakhouses. the other 3 nights we'll probably cave-in and go to a chain restaurant like Joes Crab Shack or something.

To a lesser degree the money difference seems to be spending money. We don't go to Disney every year, so we'll spend more that a lot of people here on souvenirs.

As most people go for two weeks I would look into if the UK ultimate tickets work out cheaper. Also we have the free ddp offer which just started which includes 35% off old key west.

Sent from my Windows Phone using DISBoards

Wow how did you get a room discount and free dining at the same time?

Never mind sorry just seen you are from the UK and get different deals than we do here in the states.

I just finished booking my vacation for a family of 5 and almost fell out of my chair. Is it just me or are the prices crazy anymore. We are going for 2 weeks and the breakdown is below. We aren't even flying down we are driving.

Universal Tickets (3 Days) $810.00
Disney Tickets $1,805.00
House $2,700.00
Gas $350.00
Spending & food $4,000.00
Total $9,665.00

This was your vacation 2 years ago:

10 days vill direct house $2700
10 day Park hopper passes for 4 $1400
2 days hotel orlando $350
2 days Universal Studio's for 4 $500

Gas for the Drive up and back $350

Plus meals $1500

total $6,800 without buying anything yet.

The difference is about $2800.

(1) Your house is the same: $2700
(2) Park Hoppers are $300 more. They increased 15% more from May 2012 and May 2014. Since your increase is greater, I assume you are paying for more "Disney adults" than last time or maybe you're paying extra for WP&M.
(3) Your gas is the same.
(4) Universal Studios is $300 more, but you added a day so it is about the same per day.
(5) Your meals and misc are $2500 more.
(6) Your Orlando Hotel is no longer in the equation: ($350)

So ... while park passes are more expensive by 15%, it looks like you're doing more with older kids who cost more.

I think the biggest variable in price is food. Seems like everyone has greatly varying food budgets. I also think some people are hiding the "real" cost of their food, such as leaving out alcohol, desserts, tips, and other extras.

- For as much as it sounds great to save money eating in a rental condo, to me, it's vacation. I'm not doing any dishes...even if it's just putting them in a dishwasher.

- My wife and I will regularly have 1-2 drinks with every dinner (sometimes lunch). We're not big beer drinkers. Liquor and Wine are more expensive.

- We eat "nice" on vacation. Our dinner line-up for our coming trip is: California Grill, Be Our Guest, Jonnie Hideaway, probably one of the Brazilian steakhouses. the other 3 nights we'll probably cave-in and go to a chain restaurant like Joes Crab Shack or something.

To a lesser degree the money difference seems to be spending Monday. We don't go to Disney every year, so we'll spend more that a lot of people here on souvenirs.

This is why I always tell people that for the money, Tables in Wonderland is the way to go over the Disney Dining Plan. That 20% discount at just about every restaurant no matter what you choose to eat is outstanding. Just a few meals for my wife and I cover the cost of the card. It was an even better deal with Victoria & Albert's on there, but they pull out at the end of July, sadly. V&A's would pay for the card in one meal.

This is why I always tell people that for the money, Tables in Wonderland is the way to go over the Disney Dining Plan. That 20% discount at just about every restaurant no matter what you choose to eat is outstanding. Just a few meals for my wife and I cover the cost of the card. It was an even better deal with Victoria & Albert's on there, but they pull out at the end of July, sadly. V&A's would pay for the card in one meal.
The TIW card is now $100 so you need to spend $500 on eligible meals before you just break even. Also, according to All Ears as of 8/1 V&A's will no longer accept the card and 1900 Park Fare, Chef Mickey's, 'Ohana (Dinner Only), Cinderella's Royal Table, Akershus Royal Banquet Hall, and Le Cellier Steakhouse will have additional black out dates: November 23-29, 2014; December 21-27, 2014; March 8-April 4, 2015; May 31-June 20, 2015. :crazy2:

Taking the food and spending budget: 4000/14 days/5 people = $57 // That's very similar to what I typically budget for food and spending per day per person. We usually come out under, but I like to have that budgeted as it lets us eat whatever we want in the parks, go out vs. cook in when we want etc. It doesn't budget for anything overly extravagant, but lets kids get a few souvenirs, etc. too.

I'm surprised personally to see so many people jumping all over that and thinking that's so high.

Wow and I though we were paying a lot..
Trip for 2 adults 1 child (5)
$461: Flight Detroit to Orlando
$2,703: 5 night stay @ all star movies + 5 day tickets & deluxe dining plan.
Since we will hopefully be staying during free dining we should receive $428 back price difference.

$3,164 right now
$2,736 If we receive the difference

To a lesser degree the money difference seems to be spending money. We don't go to Disney every year, so we'll spend more that a lot of people here on souvenirs.

No doubt everyone eats differently, and most of us like to splurge on vacation since we're around options we don't have at home. And many love to go all out.

But, I think the point many of us got from OP was that she was fretting over the total. Hence the reason so many suggestions popped up on cost savings potential. :thumbsup2

As for "real cost", we really don't do desserts or alcohol. Plus, we often split entrees on vacation as we don't want leftovers. But, adding the "extras" and individual entrees could easily double or triple the "food" expense. Again, different ways to go about it :)

TiW is good for a year. So yes $500 to break even but odds are if you have access to get one(FL res, DVC, AP's) you will be eating/visiting at Disney enough in a year to break the $500 quickly. It's a BIG shame V&A's is being pulled but I get it, why have it on the list if the place sells out anyway.
Also an additional benefit is free Valet with a TiW.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter