The Plaza vs Tony's vs The Wave Lunch vs. Kona Cafe

Paul M

Earning My Ears
Hello everyone,
We are on the DDP and are looking or a lunch on our last MK day. We are already doing Skippers and LTT on a previous day and do not want to do Crystal Palace. Does anyone have thoughts on the above four places? Thank you!

I'd say you can't go wrong with either the Wave or Kona, but for me Kona is more of a breakfast destination so I'd chose The Wave.

Tonys with the Parade package or I would pick something else.

Just my two cents...more to give you things to think about:

There are 2 ways to approach this question... which is more important to you...the food, or the time it takes to experience them?

The 2 options in the park will certainly take less time in the middle of your last MK day.
Of the 2 in-park, both offer totally different menus and ambience. My kiddos love the plaza. They get a huge kick out of the bottomless milkshakes. We don’t give them many treats outside the Disney bubble...so the thought of milkshakes they can get more of enchants them. It’s also a tiny restaurant so a bit less hustle and bustle.

Tony’s we usually do at dinner time, we like it just fine, but it’s not on our top list...unless you can do a parade package. Our favorite parade viewing location was taken by this package a couple years ago....it really is one of the best spots! Sit right at the front of town square and watch the parade come straight down Main Street and then a full l side view as it turns the corner.

Of the 2 resort restaurants, if you don’t made the time to get there and back, it would give you the option to see a resort. We love both the Wave and Kona.

The Wave we find quiet and not as noisy as many of the Disney restaurants can be. Their food quality is wonderful if you like what’s on the menu. Many of their servers have been there for years, something I have noticed at the Wave and hasn’t jumped out at me at other Disney restaurants.

The food at Kona is good... it the resort and it’s atmosphere is part of what makes it fun.

Good luck choosing!

I can’t speak to dining plan value but really enjoy The Plaza. It’s not “fancy” but really good, basic food like burgers and milkshakes. The tables are very close together, but that seems to be true everywhere. I’ve also had lunch at The Wave and enjoyed it. The Wave offers a more leisurely break, if that’s what you’re looking for. For me, if spending the whole day at MK, I’d probably opt for The Plaza and avoid having to go through security again.

Thank you everyone- The parade package was available so I booked that, but I am still open to comments. The reviews for Tony's are so hit or miss that it scares me a little.

I agree with PP's that you should consider how much time you want to spend during lunch. Although the food is good at the Wave, I have had several recent experiences of very slow service, both during breakfast and lunch. If you have a lot of time, and just want to relax, then this would be fine, but if you have other plans that day and want to get back to the park for more rides, I would stick with lunch inside MK.

Thank you everyone- The parade package was available so I booked that, but I am still open to comments. The reviews for Tony's are so hit or miss that it scares me a little.
Honestly, you should be scared. :laughing: Food is really bad. Seriously though, everyone is entitled to their opinion, and that is mine. Im afraid to go back. Although to be fair, I haven't eaten there since the new chef took over. So maybe (maybe) its almost decent?

I personally am not a fan of the menu at Kona, so i'd pick either The Wave or Plaza for lunch. I adore the wave, such a hidden gem. Plaza is great too if you want to stay in MK. :)

Of the 4, I'd pick the Wave. Ironically, I've been to the other 3, but not the Wave, and I was sorely disappointed in both Kona and the Plaza. Tony's was OK, but they no longer have the pistachio creme brûlée, a big draw for me. In fairness to the Plaza, my disappointment was due to the fact that the chef couldn't speak English very well, and had such a thick accent, I could barely understand him-and I'll bet he could barely understand me either. I'd asked for a low-salt meal, hence the talk with the chef, and I always say that although I was very disappointed in my meal, maybe I got what the chef thought was exactly what I asked for!

If you want good food without too much transportation hassle, go to the Wave. If you want to stay in the park and have ok food, go to the Plaza or Tony's - they are equally mediocre.

I'd go with anything but Tony's. The Plaza is great if you want to say in the MK. If you're leaving anyway, hit either the Wave or Kona. We enjoy both but usually hit Kona for breakfast. Having said that, the Wave breakfast is also really good. But lunch at Kona seems to have gotten a bit too "upscale" for what we think lunch should be.

I did the Tonys parade package last week. I enjoyed the meal and the viewing area can’t be beat.

The Plaza. They have the best food and the servers and chefs there are awesome.

Not a fan of Kona, it's gone downhill in recent years. Tony's still needs to redeem itself for me. I can't talk about the Wave because haven't gone there yet.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter