The Oogie Boogie Bash 2022 Thread (ALL DATES SOLD OUT)

Does anyone have any insight on good times to do Villain's Grove? Or meet Bruno?
In past years it was a good idea to head to Villans Grove right after the first parade. Last year it was best to wait until you've done everything and do this last as it has a very long line. Last year I tried getting in line after the parade but the line was too long and not moving fast so, we waited until toward the end of the night. I did read that the line for this does move along pretty fast this year though.

In past years it was a good idea to head to Villans Grove right after the first parade. Last year it was best to wait until you've done everything and do this last as it has a very long line. Last year I tried getting in line after the parade but the line was too long and not moving fast so, we waited until toward the end of the night. I did read that the line for this does move along pretty fast this year though.

I was talking to my husband & son, we went last year, and I think we went right after the sun went down, during the first parade. We didn't wait that long so that's going to be our gameplan this time. (Next Thursday!)

Just saw a post that animation academy is closed until the end of the month. I wonder what that means for oogie treat trail.

So we went to OBB on the D23 member night on Saturday.

I plan to do a detailed write up with lots of pics, but I'm in desperate need of a nap. I'll be back later tonight or tomorrow during the day to do the write up. We were pretty successful, I think.

We got the parade, Villain's Grove, all treat trails but two, met a couple characters and got tons of candy and pics.

I know this info has been circulating, but at least on Saturday Bruno was in no way, shape or form a walk up during or after the second parade. His line was huge.

If I had any advice, I would pick Kingdom Hearts, Bruno, or Sanderson sisters and line up before the party starts.

Has anyone that’s been to OBB this year noticed what time the line starts forming for the Sanderson sisters?

This may be a silly question, but what exactly is Villains Grove? I just saw a TikTok Live that said there aren't any villains in Villains Grove, which threw me. First OBB, so I have no clue what I'm doing!!

This may be a silly question, but what exactly is Villains Grove? I just saw a TikTok Live that said there aren't any villains in Villains Grove, which threw me. First OBB, so I have no clue what I'm doing!!

5C2CF6DD-C571-419A-B50C-A89BDF0BF1A6.jpegThe Redwood Creek Trail has sections of lights, fog, and props that evoke different villains. Here’s a pic from last year.

[\SPOILER]

This may have been asked and answered already but I can't find it! Is the Paradise Pier entrance open to get into OBB? We are staying there and doing DL in the morning, heading to the hotel to change and rest, then head over to CA around 3. We have park hoppers so we could go before mix-in time...just not sure how long we will hang out in DL in the morning and how long we will stay at the hotel midday. I'm hoping the PPH entrance is an option to avoid the lines during mix in!

This may have been asked and answered already but I can't find it! Is the Paradise Pier entrance open to get into OBB? We are staying there and doing DL in the morning, heading to the hotel to change and rest, then head over to CA around 3. We have park hoppers so we could go before mix-in time...just not sure how long we will hang out in DL in the morning and how long we will stay at the hotel midday. I'm hoping the PPH entrance is an option to avoid the lines during mix in!
I've read people are able to get in through PPH if you're staying there.

Has anyone that’s been to OBB this year noticed what time the line starts forming for the Sanderson sisters?

I saw a post on the bird site that said that they got in line at 5pm, and that CMs closed the line at 8pm, because it was already too long. Do what you will with that info.

Does anyone have any insight on good times to do Villain's Grove? Or meet Bruno?

Last year there was advice on these boards to do it during the 1st parade and see the second parade-- but you had to be sure and be crossed over to the Grove Line before the parade blocked your path.
We took that advice and it worked great. We weren't in line more than 10 minutes, and I am thinking it was more like 5 minutes.

Basically the whole Redwood Creek Challenge trial area is decorated in sections with special lighting etc. A lot of people absolutely love it and think it is a highlight of party. Honestly, my family was kind of underwhelmed. It is pretty, but we are much more interested in the characters.

What’s the best way to start the bash off on the right foot? I don’t want to be wasting three hours in ANY character line, but I wouldn’t mind meeting some of them at least. We’ll likely go into DCA right when we’re allowed to in the afternoon and enjoy some of the park before the event. I’m just curious if anybody has any tips on what you should do before the event starts? Should I be waiting for a specific character (like the Sanderson Sister versions of the female Disney trio). Really keen on seeing Ernesto but I think that’s just a trail to walk by… but maybe it gets busy and backed up? Just any advice on how to navigate the event would be great and where and what to do before the event actually begins in the evening to set things off on the right way and manages the party time in the best way. All I know is to perhaps see the second parade for lighter crowds… any tips would be helpful!

Based on reports, if you’re interested in the Sanderson sisters or Bruno I would line up for them during the mix-in period to cut down on party time in line. Ernesto is a treat trail so the line should keep moving and not take as long as the meet-n-greets.

What’s the best way to start the bash off on the right foot? I don’t want to be wasting three hours in ANY character line, but I wouldn’t mind meeting some of them at least. We’ll likely go into DCA right when we’re allowed to in the afternoon and enjoy some of the park before the event. I’m just curious if anybody has any tips on what you should do before the event starts? Should I be waiting for a specific character (like the Sanderson Sister versions of the female Disney trio). Really keen on seeing Ernesto but I think that’s just a trail to walk by… but maybe it gets busy and backed up? Just any advice on how to navigate the event would be great and where and what to do before the event actually begins in the evening to set things off on the right way and manages the party time in the best way. All I know is to perhaps see the second parade for lighter crowds… any tips would be helpful!

I would say definitely get to the gate before 3 p.m., if not already in DCA for the day. We went last year and got to the gate at 2:55 the line wasn't too long and we got right in. From what I've read and seen in vlogs the line gets longer between 5 and 6.

There have only been 3 parties so far, so I don't think we have a ton of experiences yet except for the vloggers/influencers. I would say if you want to meet a specific character like the Sanderson Sisters you need to commit to getting in that line early (well before the party starts at 6, from what I've read) since there's no way to avoid it and it will shut down early.

The other tip we read often here is to grab dinner during the pre-party time, so you are not hungry or utilizing party time to get food and eat. Ernesto certainly is a popular character to see and he does take breaks, I haven't read any reports of people waiting more than an hour. I'd like to see him but my crew (18-year-old son & husband) don't care. The only characters my son wants to see are the Kingdom Hearts Mickey, Donald, or Goofy. So we will be lining up for that pre-party. We did not spend a lot of time on treat trails last year, we rode attractions, but this year I definitely need to see Oogie Boogie and Dr. Facilier. Everyone else is a bonus. Villains Grove is our other must-do, we'll try to do it early when it opens. I would like to see the second parade, which is easier to get a spot.

There's honestly so much to do & see, the 5 hours go by fast! Have fun! 🎃

All right so I attended Oogie Boogie Bash on Sat Sept 10. It was the special D23 member party, but I think most things were the same. I'll try to add some tips and tricks along the way, I'll mark them with a TIPS/TRICKS before I start that sentence in case anyone just wants to pick those out. I'll add a couple pics but I'll save most of the trips for my trip report I'm starting soon on the OBB and D23 Expo.

I will say, I am a veteran of Disney World's MNSSHP. I can't even count how many of those parties we've gone to. We love dressing up and meeting special characters and the parade/fireworks. So I might be doing some comparisons as I go along. This was our first Halloween party of any kind at DL.

First I'll start off with a costume picture of our group. I stayed with this group of 5 most of the night, but we also had 3 other friends there that night who had different experiences and I'll add some of those. We attended (and spent most of the expo) with @soniam (seen here dressed as Agatha). Sonia, feel free to chime in with your impressions and thoughts.

Brian had been dressed as Doctor Strange at the expo but the costume was making him uncomfortable so he changed.

1663175684845.png

The event opened at 3 pm for ticket holds and the actual even started at 6 pm and ends at 11 pm. Honestly, I wish we had an additional hour and it went til midnight. I think that would make a big difference.

Anyway, we left the expo a bit later than we'd wanted that day. Our goals were to have an early dinner, take some Avengers campus pics and get in line early for our top character around 5 pm.

We were headed out of the hotel (Sheraton Park at Anaheim) just before 4 pm. We arrived around 4:20 and scanned into the park with our tickets. We got a wristband, treat bag and map just after the turn styles.

Originally we'd wanted to eat at Pym's Test Kitchen but the mobile order was too far ahead in time. So we split up to get food, some people got Shawarma and a few others of us got Lucky Fortune Cookery.

I wandered over to the Pier area and waited around a few minutes. At almost exactly 5 some CMs wheeled out the Kingdom Hearts backdrop and a short line formed. I got in line and was 4th. Our group of 5 switched off holding the spot in line and eating our dinner on a bench nearby.

TIP/TRICK: do not spend party time eating. If you want to meet characters, do the Grove, parade and trick or treat trails don't waste the time getting food, eat before hand.

At 5:50 the CM was letting us know there was going to be a slight delay, but she didn't know how long. We decided to stay put since this was our priority character.

There was a party starting announcement park wide at promptly 6 pm.

We took turns and went to the nearby Dr. Facilier treat or trick trail. He wasn't there, but the candy stops were open.

The characters came out at 6:44 pm. The handler let us know Donald wouldn't be attending tonight, which was super disappointing to me because he is my fav. If we had known that much earlier we would probably have left the line. So it was Kingdom Hearts Mickey and Goofy switching off. We got Goofy (as you could obviously tell from the pic above).

Since we were so close we met him in roughly 5 minutes and were off to enjoy the rest of the party!

We'd also had runners going to Avengers Campus and looking for the special D23 OBB character: zombie cap. There were no sightings so far.

Next up we went for Ernesto de la Cruz. While waiting in line we saw a DL cat. One of our friends is fairly obsessed with the DL cats but didn't know the name of this one, so we dubbed him Ernesto de la Cat. This was roughly 7 pm.

1663176566449.png

The line was only a 5-10 minute wait. The CMs encourage you to keep walking, but they have a small section at the front roped off if you want to stay a bit. We lingered, he does a really creepy slow version of Remember Me, then does a version like the one in the movie. I ended up liking the trick or treat trails more than I thought I would. Brian and I both really like to meet characters. We still managed to get selfies with all the trick or treat trail characters, some would interact with us but if they weren't talking with us we could still hear their interactions with the other people so it was tons of fun.

1663176634758.png

We headed to the front of the park to see which characters were meeting. The Blue Fairy was not even out and her line was capped. I think they don't have high capacity for their lines because the line wasn't even much longer than maybe 30 groups (rough guess).

Ping was meeting by the fountain and the line was open so we were meeting her/him? at 7:20 pm.

1663176839988.png

We didn't see anyone else out at the front at that time, so we headed off.

At this point I think we made a mistake. People were lining up for the parade and we found some curb space by the Hollywood backdrop and decided to take it. This was at 7:25 pm. A few people took turns and went to Cruella's trick or treat trail, and we also stole peeks at the Sanderson Sisters. Our 3 other friends had got in line for them around 5:20-5:30. They didn't meet them until 7:30.

TIP/TRICK: So if the Sanderson sisters are a priority line up EARLY. Better to waste non party time than to waste party time. If it were me I'd line up before 5.

So the Frightfully Fun Parade starts at 7:45 and 10 pm. I think our mistake came in lining up so early so far along the parade route. We probably could have got a decent spot later and not spent so much of our limited party time waiting.

Headless Horseman and Ichabod went by at exactly 8 pm.

We have the Headless Horseman at MNSSHP, he trots down the street. But I actually have to give the edge to DL's, because Ichabod and some townsmen walk in front. That actually adds a lot.

The parade itself showed up at 8:20 (ouch). The strategic planner inside me is cringing looking at these time stamps.

7:25 get parade spots
8: headless horseman
8:20 parade starts
8:32 parade ends

I know I will sound very egotistical here, but I am a big, big time planner for these events. I've got things done in one party other people can't even get close to. So seeing that time table written out above wounds me deeply. No wonder we didn't get to meet many stand alone characters.

1663177371911.png

1663177500256.png

1663177533244.png

After the parade we went around the corner to the Cruella Trick or Treat trail. All of these trick or treat characters were so amazing. Just so much fun to see and listen to.

We started to head to Avengers Campus but did the Madame Mim treat trail on the way.

1663181000802.png

Thor and Loki were meeting together by the truck but their line was capped. We did the Agatha treat trail. She had a fun time yelling at me.

1663181055876.png

Black Widow was meeting and I got in her line, a minute or two after I did they cleared the line and told us all to get out of there. I had no idea what was going on. Then some weird music with heavy breathing sounds came on and Zombie Cap came out (D23 party EXCLUSIVE, do not look for him at other parties).

So this was actually a pretty scary part of the party. There was a giant mob of people and they all stampeded toward the line for Zombie Cap. I got caught up in the crush and was like smooshed against the wall. But hey, I guess a got a pretty decent spot in the line so alls well that ends well? One of my friends was about 4 groups back and decided to stay put in her spot. The other 2 and Brian hadn't been caught up and were scared and staying away. Two decided they wanted no part of the mob and Brian met me at the front when I got there and we just took pics together.

He was out at roughly 9:10 and we were getting our picture at 9:20. The CMs were doing a good job preparing people and making sure lots of people got to get their pic. There was no real interaction besides what Zombie Cap did while you were having your picture taken. Our other two friends had ditched and headed for the Villain's Grove.

1663181180096.png

We were low on phone battery and needed a fuel rod exchange, so we went to Carsland and picked one up from Ramone's. Cruz only had one person in line so I grabbed a pic with her.

Next up we did the Maleficent trail, then got in line for Villain's Grove at 9:40. The line doubled back but it moved fast. According to picture time stamps we made it in around 10 pm.

TIP/TRICK: don't be intimidated by a long Villain's Grove line. It moves quickly and it's very much worth it.

Even though there were tons of people in line, people really dispersed once you got inside. We were even by ourselves in a few spots. I've reached my picture limit for those post so if you want to see more pictures I'll have tons in my report. It really was a neat experience. We took our time and were back out around 10:25 pm.

We were down to our final half hour of party. We were near Mother Gothel so we saw her. I don't want to ruin any magic...but I have a suspicion that Agatha from last year may have had some 'work done' and is now running around as Gothel.

Since we were all Avengers characters we decided that we wanted to end the night on Campus. We headed back and saw a character line. Using my last energy reserves, I rushed to the back, I was afraid they'd cap it. And they actually did another couple groups back from us. I was very excited to hear that it was Scarlet Witch at the front. I had heard earlier in the night she was switching off at this spot with Mr. Moon Knight.

I think we were in line around 10:35 and met her around 10:55.

There was a photopass at the Avengers A and he had no line, so we were able to jump over and be his last group of the party at 10:59.

And that was it!

I hope this review can help some people to plan their parties. I'll post a pic of our candy haul in the next post.

Our must do list at the start of the party had been:

Parade
Villain's Grove
All 9 character treat trails
Meet as many new or rare characters as we could (Mr Moon Knight, Scarlet Witch, Thor/Loki, Zombie Cap, any other Avenger, Blue Fairy, Ping, Hercules, Meg and Merlin). We are taking a DCL Halloweentime cruise and the Sanderson sisters meet on the ship so we'll meet them there. I had wanted to meet Bruno but his line never got short at all.

What we actually accomplished:
Parade
Villain's Grove
7 treat trails (missed Oogie Boogie and Sid, our two friends who separated did get Oogie Boogie)
Standalone characters: Ping, Zombie Cap, Scarlet Witch, Cruz, Kingdom Hearts Goofy

I felt we were pretty successful, except I would have loved to meet a few more standalone characters. I am honestly still not sure if I know of all standalone characters. I'll recap the ones we saw in the my candy pic post, cause I know others are trying to figure out who all is there as well.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter